The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Low End Laptop Optimization

ShinraBansho

Question

Hi, i have a laptop that is not catered for gaming, i want someone to remind me which launcher options is best for low end spec computers, such as direct X 9 or 10 etc or link me to a similar topic if it exists since i cant really find it digging through the forums despite knowing there's a few guides out there.

I pretty much have all graphic options turned off or at low so the game runs decently, i just want to maximize and gain any fps if possible.

Much obliged, fellow Tennos.

6 answers to this question

Hi, i have a laptop that is not catered for gaming, i want someone to remind me which launcher options is best for low end spec computers, such as direct X 9 or 10 etc or link me to a similar topic if it exists since i cant really find it digging through the forums despite knowing there's a few guides out there.

I pretty much have all graphic options turned off or at low so the game runs decently, i just want to maximize and gain any fps if possible.

Much obliged, fellow Tennos.

DirectX 9.0c(aka. uncheck both DirectX 10 & 11 boxes)

Allow Multi-threading(if you have it)

Uncheck 64-bit(if you have it)

Also, this thread might help somewhat: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/289244-framerate-drops-high-cpu-loads-cpu-overheating-this-might-fix-it-cpu-core-unparking/

If you are playing through Steam you can also try these additional launch options:  -high -nod3d9ex

This might also be useful but you might need to do some reading: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Command_Line_Options

Edited by --RV--Cola

Allow Multi-threading(if you have it)

Uncheck 64-bit(if you have it)

Also, this thread might help somewhat: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/289244-framerate-drops-high-cpu-loads-cpu-overheating-this-might-fix-it-cpu-core-unparking/

Thanks! For multi-threading and 64 bit, turn it off even if i have multi core CPU and if my system is running windows 64bit? is that what you mean

There's a third-party tool called HiAlgo SWITCH that I used to use on my old rig (desktop i3-2120, no dedicated graphics card, only Intel HD Graphics 2000). It would halve (technically, quarter) the resolution of pretty much any DirectX 9/10 game and grant you about 2x graphical performance at the press of a button, all without changing the window size.

Of course, back then, Warframe ran fine on that rig at about 20-30 fps at 720p, but drops down to 10 in the Earth tileset. HiAlgo SWITCH was a lifesaver for me back then, because it really helped with the framerate, and was much less of an eyesore, even with a more pixelated look.

Of course, I haven't used it in quite a while ever since I got my "new" laptop for my overseas studies (i5-4210U and GT 840M). IIRC, it kinda lost support for Warframe for some unknown reason, although that was about 1.5 years ago. Idk now, but since you have a low-end rig, you might as well get that tool, because it's pretty dang great (imagine playing Crysis 2 on Intel HD Graphics 2000; 9 fps in a relaticely non-demanding area at 720p; 21 fps with the tool enabled; sheesh).

Another tool that is recommended by many people is Razer Game Booster, which actually merely pauses many of the background processes your computer runs while you're playing a game. Effectiveness varies from machine to machine, though; if you're like me and tend to keep your rig clear of unnecessary software and performs software maintenance on a regular basis, then this tool wouldn't be of too much help; however, if you're not a tech-savvy guy and don't even empty your computer's trash bin on a regular basis, then this might just work wonders on your machine.

Edited by HatchetHaro

Thanks! For multi-threading and 64 bit, turn it off even if i have multi core CPU and if my system is running windows 64bit? is that what you mean

I mean that you should enable Multi-threading and disable 64-bit mode.

There's a third-party tool called HiAlgo SWITCH that I used to use on my old rig (desktop i3-2120, no dedicated graphics card, only Intel HD Graphics 2000). It would halve (technically, quarter) the resolution of pretty much any DirectX 9/10 game and grant you about 2x graphical performance at the press of a button, all without changing the window size.

Of course, back then, Warframe ran fine on that rig at about 20-30 fps at 720p, but drops down to 10 in the Earth tileset. HiAlgo SWITCH was a lifesaver for me back then, because it really helped with the framerate, and was much less of an eyesore, even with a more pixelated look.

Of course, I haven't used it in quite a while ever since I got my "new" laptop for my overseas studies (i5-4210U and GT 840M). IIRC, it kinda lost support for Warframe for some unknown reason, although that was about 1.5 years ago. Idk now, but since you have a low-end rig, you might as well get that tool, because it's pretty dang great (imagine playing Crysis 2 on Intel HD Graphics 2000; 9 fps in a relaticely non-demanding area at 720p; 21 fps with the tool enabled; sheesh).

Another tool that is recommended by many people is Razer Game Booster, which actually merely pauses many of the background processes your computer runs while you're playing a game. Effectiveness varies from machine to machine, though; if you're like me and tend to keep your rig clear of unnecessary software and performs software maintenance on a regular basis, then this tool wouldn't be of too much help; however, if you're not a tech-savvy guy and don't even empty your computer's trash bin on a regular basis, then this might just work wonders on your machine.

Yep, "Game Booster" is for less tech-savvy people.

HiAlgo software looks interesting, gonna try it at home, even tho I don't have many problems outside of the Uranus/Void 40+ minute Survivals.

Edited by --RV--Cola

Play the game in windowed mode and then extend your window to your screen size. This has an massive positive impact on how much strain is put on your laptop. Also prioritise Warframe both on your internet connection as in your processing and put your laptop on high performance. That is what generally works for me