The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gaming Microphone

Xennocide420

Question

5 answers to this question

A "gaming" microphone?

Just get some cheap-&#! mic like Zalman Mic-1 (thing is like $5), it's decent enough.

You can also shove $500 into some CEO's orifice and get something like Blue microphone for that matter.

Don't even think about going for gaming headsets, not worth it.

Since buying a new computer and looking for a new mic, I've noticed a rather peculiar trend recently.

There are no mid-priced stand alone mics for a gamer just wanting decent voicecoms. You either have headsets (large price range), the ultra-cheap PoS desktop and clip-on mics, and the high end desktop mics for podcasting and the like. There's nothing in between the ultra-cheap and the high end.

Truthfully, I can't recommend anything because the market is so schizophrenic. My older machine uses a Logitech USB mic. Back in the day, it was about $25 and is a great mic (other than picking up every noise in two rooms). No longer available and the few still in the wild are now well over $100 in asking price.

The really low end of market are suspect for durability and even functionality. You don't hit a reliable plateau until you're looking at $60 mics like the Blue Snowball--and the price skyrockets from there.

Headsets seem where it's at, but I have some issues with them in general. Since you have headphones in the equation, you're looking at more money since you're not just buying one thing. Also, you have to have the things on your head to function and sometimes this isn't something you want to deal with. Nevertheless, they seem to have taken over the market in general and are where the manufacturers are spending their development money.

My new box ended up with a headset version of the open cans I normally use to listen to music (I like Audiotechnica). This ran into some money, but at least I was familiar with the headphone side of the equation and knew what I was getting into. I strongly considered the Blue Snowball, but its size (ginormous) and lack of a decent stand (means you have to buy something else and this gets complicated and pricey very quickly) were a poison pill for me.

Good luck with this search. It's not pretty.

Can I please ask what mic/headset would be okay for the PS4? I'm using the ear piece/mic that came with it and I want to be able to record gameplay with clear and decent sound. Would a turtle beach set for $25 do? Or would it be better to get something in a price range of 50 - 100? 

Here are few of my videos and is the voice sound recording terrible?

Leveling Rubico and singing in my foreign language.

Saryn press 4 to cry