The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Connection Issues Feedback

FATEdPondera

When is the whole false disconnection issue ever going to be fixed? I was playing Sortie 3 today with my clan, which everyone knows takes forever. Make it through 10 waves, and then, BAM, host migration, except nobody DC'd. Their net was fine. They continued on in their own group, and I got stuck in the mission by myself. How in the heck does that even happen, matchmaking wise? Of course, I was killed instantly by level ka-zillion corpus and they blew the pod to pieces. YOU LOSE! YOU GET NOTHING! GOOD DAY!

And this is not the first time this has happened. My clan has generally regarded long missions as courting disaster. What better way to treat the playerbase for their endurance and dedication with a big "SCREW YOU" at the very end? Disconnect, you get nothing. No credits, no resources, probably no exp. A big fat waste of time. Am I somewhat unreasonably angry? You better believe it. Because I'm tired of this. We're all tired of this. With the amount of money the average person spends on this game, servers should be EASILY affordable. This should have been done LAST YEAR as part of the year of quality.

Well let me tell you something about servers. They're expensive

You're going to need a server for

NA- West

NA- East

NA- South

Africa

Japan

United Kingdom.

You see where I'm going with this right?

So, around the amount of players playing Warframe around the world for required servers. The cost of this can go up to the millions. And the pricing before maintenance... Do not even get me started.

Also keep in mind that DE is a small company and they do not have that many people in their development team.

The system is Peer to Peer currently. Where your connection is based on the connection of the host. If the Hosts connection is wonky etc, Problems occur. 

Edited by KJRenz

Lot's of problems on all platforms lately, though there are much better ways to express an opinion.

4806281-in+b4+lock.gif

The problems have been coming up more and more recently.

And of course there are more subtle ways to complain, but you shouldn't forget that emotions reach great heights when playing the game you like. And all of a sudden losing everything for no reason at all is just the most terrible thing which can happen. Let a man release some steam, will ya?

The system is Peer to Peer currently. Where your connection is based on the connection of the host. If the Hosts connection is wonky etc, Problems occur. 

Eh...granted. But if you've taken a look at the PC Beta Bugs feedback on matchmaking lately, you can see that this is not an isolated incident. Whatever system they have or tricks that might have worked in the past, it's clear by now that Warframe has grown to such a point that those things are not longer working as intended.

Either that, or U18 seriously borked something up. Either way, this should be top priority. Not more weapons, though those are kinda nice. Not prime access, because basement dwellers tend to have nauseatingly unfair amounts of discretionary income, but stable connections for all. I tell you, I don't have any issues playing Planetside, and that tends to be much more bandwidth intensive.

KJRenz pretty much said what I was going to say. 

Until the system isn't peer to peer anymore, this issue is never going to be resolved. And despite DE making some nice money from their recent deal with Leyou, to implement dedicated servers would be a HUGE expensive. Perhaps someday if the game grows enough they will continue to expand their servers and have dedicated ones for games instead of just the relays. 

But I think if that happens, it's a long way off. 

Stop hating, I started playing 2 months ago again, and the only issues I had were in ~3 days out of 60 days, and even then most of em were fixed really fast, stop this childish hating and appreciate the work of DE more, 4 Hotfixes within 2 days should tell you how hard they are actually working on problems! Try to run a server yourself and I bet you would give up after 2 days, period!

Long story short: Less hatin'

My guess is they will start by slowing implementing more things that use their own servers over time -- they already have the relays and I think Maroo's Bazaar. Paring down the solar map is a good way to head in a direction where they could one day have their own servers. Having way less nodes would make things more manageable. I believe they will head toward this route one day if they continue to get the support/funding. 

Yes yes. Turning the stick. Companies faults are not the customer problems.

You missed my entire point. Care to supply DE with billions of dollars or fund them every year with at least 20 million for Servers/maintenance of each one? No? Okay then.

Edited by KJRenz

fun fact: like with GTX 970 Coil Whine - if you search for it, you find it. but you don't find what you aren't searching for.

this is called sample bias.

except nobody DC'd.

your story suggests you did.

your complaints don't reflect the majority (or a significant percentage) of Players, or it would immediately be Priority #0.

Consumers have a habit of blaming Developers for problems that are due to their end or atleast not because of what the Developer is or isn't doing.

besides, i don't want the game running on Server Farms - i don't want to sacrifice the Latency (lack of mostly) that is result from very good connections being made with usual suspects.

you'll have a hard time making me agree with opting into higher Latency in Warframe. PvP is an exception due to very low session intensity and the 'reliably mediocre' result from Server Farm run games makes things consistent which is important for PvP.

Edited by taiiat

Eh...granted. But if you've taken a look at the PC Beta Bugs feedback on matchmaking lately, you can see that this is not an isolated incident. Whatever system they have or tricks that might have worked in the past, it's clear by now that Warframe has grown to such a point that those things are not longer working as intended.

Either that, or U18 seriously borked something up. Either way, this should be top priority. Not more weapons, though those are kinda nice. Not prime access, because basement dwellers tend to have nauseatingly unfair amounts of discretionary income, but stable connections for all. I tell you, I don't have any issues playing Planetside, and that tends to be much more bandwidth intensive.

The PC Beta bugs on matchmaking lately was due to DDos attacks if you've read what the Staff replied with.

It is going to be Peer to Peer and most likely remain that way. DE are going to get sucked dry of resources if they implement servers as I have stated in my previous post.

Edited by KJRenz

your story suggests you did.

your complaints don't reflect the majority (or a significant percentage) of Players, or it would immediately be Priority #0.

Not really. I was still connected to the game, and as far as I can tell, my net did not even flicker. Nothing out of the ordinary happened to me, aside from this odd thing. Usually it boots me back to the multiplayer menu, but this is the first time I've seen it put me into a mission by myself to die instantly.

As for how many of us are effected, go into the PC Beta bugs matchmaking section, spend about 10 minutes reading, then come back. We'll wait.

The PC Beta bugs on matchmaking lately was due to DDos attacks if you've read what the Staff replied with.

Really? So, all this time, it's been some outside force messing with us for the lulz?

Edited by FATEdPondera

As for how many of us are effected, go into the PC Beta bugs matchmaking section, spend about 10 minutes reading, then come back. We'll wait.

But, what can you expect from the devs to do if this is a client-side issue? I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

Not really. I was still connected to the game, and as far as I can tell, my net did not even flicker. Nothing out of the ordinary happened to me, aside from this odd thing. Usually it boots me back to the multiplayer menu, but this is the first time I've seen it put me into a mission by myself to die instantly.

- those are prime symptoms of you losing connection to the Internet(and therefore all of the Clients and the Host of the Session you were in) long enough for connections to timeout. you will be placed into your own session and you will continue your Mission as long as it isn't a Key Based Mission (though if it's Key Based, as long as you were the one that supplied the Key, you'll continue on your own fine).

- let's try that again:

fun fact: like with GTX 970 Coil Whine - if you search for it, you find it. but you don't find what you aren't searching for.

this is called sample bias.

and besides, the last big issue that was moved to Priority #0 was a Crash that affected 6% of Players.

- - - - - 

Really? So, all this time, it's been some outside force messing with us for the lulz?

while you're already in a Mission, Digital Extremes HQ could literally be teleported to a different dimension, and you will not notice. your session does not care if Keep Alive to Digital Extremes can be maintained while you're playing Warframe.

Edited by taiiat

Response from Rebecca

Sorry about the downtime, Tenno. We've been been able to mitigate the impact of DDoS attack attempts that have been occurring for most of the day but as you can see some attempts have been successful. We are working to restore.

Should that be the problem of the customer? No.

Wow... Someone doesn't understand anything at all to what's going on..

miss-the-point.png

Should that be the problem of the customer? No.

The game was never advertised as having dedicated servers. You've always had to play P2P and deal with the possibility of connection issues where you lose your progress because of yours or the hosts internet connection. The game has never tried to sell itself as anything else. 

So, does every game have to have dedicated servers? I'm saying it's unreasonable to play a game you know is P2P, and then complain that the company doesn't fix the client side connection problems. 

Short of implementing dedicated servers, what are they supposed to do to fix it? And why should we feel are entitled to dedicated servers from them when they never promised any such thing in the first place? 

Should it be the responsibility of the company that the customer wants the game to be something it's not? No. 

I would love to have dedicated servers. I would love it if they did it someday. But I don't feel it's something expected, because it's something they never offered/promised in the first place. 

Edit: I also think that if they ever did, they should still offer the option for p2p missions if people wish to do it that way. Some people might feel they will improve their connection in that manner, especially if it's a peak time for DE, and that person has really good internet. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

No, yesterday servers were down cuz of DDos. But that's not the cause of your problem, i got the same issues to be honest.

Putting on servers is definitely too expensive but what could have been done is like a tolerance how long you can be disconnected. Like if you are time'd out, it will reconnect you after 5 seconds back to the host, provided you got connection back.

It's just a pain when you play with friends, 8 waves remaining, press alt+f4 after host migration so you can join back but you can't because a random just joined.... 

Wow... Someone doesn't understand anything at all to what's going on..

Well i wasn´t the one searching a excuse in expensive server maintenance. So i told you the upkeep of those maintenance is not a problem of the customer and i´m absolutely correct with this. Maybe you want to explain it to me where i missed your point? I mean those pictures are very nice and shiny and all - yet a explanation would be nice don´t you think? Maybe i really understood something wrong. :)

The game was never advertised as having dedicated servers. You've always had to play P2P and deal with the possibility of connection issues where you lose your progress because of yours or the hosts internet connection. The game has never tried to sell itself as anything else. 

So, does every game have to have dedicated servers? I'm saying it's unreasonable to play a game you know is P2P, and then complain that the company doesn't fix the client side connection problems. 

Short of implementing dedicated servers, what are they supposed to do to fix it? And why should we feel are entitled to dedicated servers from them when they never promised any such thing in the first place? 

Should it be the responsibility of the company that the customer wants the game to be something it's not? No. 

I would love to have dedicated servers. I would love it if they did it someday. But I don't feel it's something expected, because it's something they never offered/promised in the first place. 

Edit: I also think that if they ever did, they should still offer the option for p2p missions if people wish to do it that way. Some people might feel they will improve their connection in that manner, especially if it's a peak time for DE, and that person has really good internet. 

They´re advertising a product and a service. Gaining money from that product is inherently bound to the quality of the service. Warframe is out of the kindershoes. No excuses. This: "they didn´t offer dedicated servers" is semantics.

Well i wasn´t the one searching a excuse in expensive server maintenance. So i told you the upkeep of those maintenance is not a problem of the customer and i´m absolutely correct with this. Maybe you want to explain it to me where i missed your point? I mean those pictures are very nice and shiny and all - yet a explanation would be nice don´t you think? Maybe i really understood something wrong. :)

They´re advertising a product and a service. Gaining money from that product is inherently bound to the quality of the service. Warframe is out of the kindershoes. No excuses. This: "they didn´t offer dedicated servers" is semantics.

Not it's not. You are missing my point. 

My point is simple. This is a P2P game. Always has been and has never tried to hide it. 

I'm not saying I like the connection issues, but I accept that by playing a P2P game, I understand that stuff is going to happen. People's connections, or my own, or going to have issues sometimes. 

This isn't an excuse because they don't need one. That's my point. They don't need an excuse because you are berating them for not having a service they never offered, never sold, or intended or promised to offer or sell. You are berating them for essentially not being a dedicated server game, something they have never tried to be or tried to pass themselves off as. 

Also, what in the name of Clem does quality of service have to do with p2p client side server issues completely beyond their control? That was a rhetorical question btw, as the obvious answer is nothing.