Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Blut's Workshop: Cardice Frost Concept (Wip)

BlutAdler

Hello everyone.

I decided I wanted to attempt to design my first ever 3d model, and the goal is a frost skin from this concept I drew up.

At the moment I'm calling it "Cardice".

Your thoughts? Thank you guys for any feedback!

EDIT: Thanks for all your feedback. I'm still trying to work on this. I'm in the process of setting up my computer all over again because of Windows 10 Bugs BSOD'ing my computer. So all the programs I had are gone and I have to reinstall and such. 

I'll give an update soon.

jordan-joseph-commander.jpg?1452726003

Edited by BlutAdler

I think overall the concept is nice, but I feel as though it's quite off the beaten path as far as tenno go. This feels much more human than tenno, what with the fur neckpiece and wrists and what looks very much like a cloth hat and...strangely it almost looks like a form of gas mask.

Perhaps, at least in my opinion, perhaps you could make it a bit closer to Warframe design? Otherwise I still like the idea.

Eh, nope. It doesn't fit the visual style of Warframe, and it looks like this would be a remodel, which you can't do in TennoGen.

have you seen that new trinity skin they wanna roll out? also it's true he can't make a completely different skin with tennogen, soooo... 

have you seen that new trinity skin they wanna roll out? also it's true he can't make a completely different skin with tennogen, soooo... 

Yeah, I have, but that's not a TennoGen skin. But yeah, he can't make a premium-style skin in TennoGen. It's just a texture reskin that's allowed.

I still don't think that this design fits warframe, or that the Trinity premium skin fits Warframe. But DE doesn't really care about their own established aesthetics, so...

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Yeah, I have, but that's not a TennoGen skin. But yeah, he can't make a premium-style skin in TennoGen. It's just a texture reskin that's allowed.

I still don't think that this design fits warframe, or that the Trinity premium skin fits Warframe. But DE doesn't really care about their own established aesthetics, so...

That's irrelevant. In the end DE will publish whatever they want with or without explanations given. Design aesthetic in games changes all the time. While there can be themes that link new and old, eventually seeing the same old designs over and over again gets old. Just writing something off because you (people in general) don't think it fits a design aesthetic doesn't mean it won't be picked. Change is good. 

Obviously because this would be a complete remodel the odds of it being made are unlikely, but DE takes ideas from it's player base for other things including completely new warframes. Why should this be any different? 

Edited by Rain3ternal

besides the furs, i think the rest of the design can be fitted into frost's current skin as normal map. Not sure about the helmet, but the body itself already looks pretty fitting on frost, especially because of the crystal parts.

that's mostly what I want to exhibit. I want something like a hood thingy for frost, I've seen the extent that helmets can be changed.. so I'm hoping I can do the same. 

The funny thing about all of this? I haven't ever used zbrush and I'm hoping it's not terribly difficult so that I can try it out.

that's mostly what I want to exhibit. I want something like a hood thingy for frost, I've seen the extent that helmets can be changed.. so I'm hoping I can do the same.

The funny thing about all of this? I haven't ever used zbrush and I'm hoping it's not terribly difficult so that I can try it out.

Advice. Download Sculptris first. It's free and incredibly fast to learn. If you never modeled or sculpted before, Zbrush might seem too big a monster to take in.

Zbrush is the leading tool for movies and games and there is a reason for it.

But in my experience you gain more by starting slow. Pixologic bought Sculptris as they saw it as a potential threat, and have kept it as a free alpha-app to learn the basics before buying zb.

Oh yeah, cloth is not animated you might want to remember that when you concept ; a hood will stay static.

Advice. Download Sculptris first. It's free and incredibly fast to learn. If you never modeled or sculpted before, Zbrush might seem too big a monster to take in.

Zbrush is the leading tool for movies and games and there is a reason for it.

But in my experience you gain more by starting slow. Pixologic bought Sculptris as they saw it as a potential threat, and have kept it as a free alpha-app to learn the basics before buying zb.

Oh yeah, cloth is not animated you might want to remember that when you concept ; a hood will stay static.

Dude, can't thank you enough for the advice regarding starting programs haha. I'm downloding sculptris right now.

Also, yea I know it's not animated, I actually wanted to to stay static on the face. I tried to avoid any part of his body having loose ends. I want him to have something of a jumpsuit going on with a sick collar and drape over his machine 'face'

That's irrelevant. In the end DE will publish whatever they want with or without explanations given. Design aesthetic in games changes all the time. While there can be themes that link new and old, eventually seeing the same old designs over and over again gets old. Just writing something off because you (people in general) don't think it fits a design aesthetic doesn't mean it won't be picked. Change is good. 

Obviously because this would be a complete remodel the odds of it being made are unlikely, but DE takes ideas from it's player base for other things including completely new warframes. Why should this be any different? 

Thing is, their guide lays out the Tenno aesthetics. Why put that in there only to completely reject it when making selections?

Thing is, their guide lays out the Tenno aesthetics. Why put that in there only to completely reject it when making selections?

Guides are there to help, it's not a rule that will guarantee you to be accepted just because you follow it or guarantee you to be rejected because you stray away from it.

And can you just stop please? It's getting old. Are you really still that mad about the first round? The problematic entry have been excluded and new entry have been selected. There shouldn't be anymore problem. And I remember you once said that you won't be bothered with tennogen anymore. But now you're like dedicating yourself to be the dark negative cloud of tennogen subforum.

Guides are there to help, it's not a rule that will guarantee you to be accepted just because you follow it or guarantee you to be rejected because you stray away from it.

And can you just stop please? It's getting old. Are you really still that mad about the first round? The problematic entry have been excluded and new entry have been selected. There shouldn't be anymore problem. And I remember you once said that you won't be bothered with tennogen anymore. But now you're like dedicating yourself to be the dark negative cloud of tennogen subforum.

Um, it shouldn't guarantee that your item will be selected, but it certainly should guarantee that your item should be rejected if you don't adhere to the guide.

The only point of my post is that 1) DE is not currently looking for warframe remodels (that's a FACT, not an opinion), and 2) the warframes aren't just clothing, so to make a warframe skin that looks like clothing is to make something that currently doesn't fit the design aesthetic of the game. And even with the Trinity premium skin, it still looks like armor.

I get it. You really like this concept, so you're absolutely opposed to any comment that isn't praising this design. But if I were designing something, I'd rather know now what was and wasn't likely to get selected, instead of doing a whole lot of work for nothing.

Now, ignoring you, I have some feedback for the OP:

You won't be able to make the fur at all, and will be restricted to the actual current Frost mesh, but you could make a reskin look similar. Now, that being said, you might want to add in some more detail, otherwise you'd have a very plain-looking Frost. You can definitely tweak the normal map as well (and I'd recommend that). As for the helmet, you can certainly try to make an alt helmet for Frost that looks like that, although you'd have to deal with the fact that it probably won't be able to touch the shoulders, I don't think (but maybe that'd be possible; if it could cover the entire neck, that'd be cool).

Anyway, I wish you luck. Was just trying to help you understand what DE's looking for, so that you didn't start creating an entire remodel for Frost only to find out that they're not accepting that.

They sometimes take ideas from their player base, but something like that is better for Fan Concepts, not for TennoGen. Now, if this thread is mean to be a Fan Concept, and not a TennoGen submission (and I have recently seen a lot of Fan Concept threads being posted in the TennoGen forum), then this thread should be moved there.

So, OP, is this just a Fan Concept or a WIP TennoGen submission? If it's just a Fan Concept, then you should ask a mod to move it to the Fan Concepts forum.

My statement wasn't arguing about the placement of the thread though. My statement was addressing the the other thing. In my opinion, it's rude to just write off someone's work based off of that same tired statement of someone not thinking it fits. That's not even a a good reason. Sometimes something that looks different is a nice contrast from everything else. It might need a few design tweaks sure, but " Eh, nope. It doesn't fit the visual style of Warframe" is not constructive. 

They sometimes take ideas from their player base, but something like that is better for Fan Concepts, not for TennoGen. Now, if this thread is mean to be a Fan Concept, and not a TennoGen submission (and I have recently seen a lot of Fan Concept threads being posted in the TennoGen forum), then this thread should be moved there.

So, OP, is this just a Fan Concept or a WIP TennoGen submission? If it's just a Fan Concept, then you should ask a mod to move it to the Fan Concepts forum.

The title of the post is "Blut's Workship: Cardice Frost Concept (WIP)"

Edited by BlutAdler

Um, it shouldn't guarantee that your item will be selected, but it certainly should guarantee that your item should be rejected if you don't adhere to the guide.

The only point of my post is that 1) DE is not currently looking for warframe remodels (that's a FACT, not an opinion), and 2) the warframes aren't just clothing, so to make a warframe skin that looks like clothing is to make something that currently doesn't fit the design aesthetic of the game. And even with the Trinity premium skin, it still looks like armor.

I get it. You really like this concept, so you're absolutely opposed to any comment that isn't praising this design. But if I were designing something, I'd rather know now what was and wasn't likely to get selected, instead of doing a whole lot of work for nothing.

And that's your OPINION, DE have contradicted your opinion. If their opinion and your opinion are different then you two won't agree about what's fitting or not. So why you keep going on to say "no, this doesn't fit warframe" when DE clearly have differing opinion from you?

We're basically betting if our opinion matches with DE or not. That's a slim margin of success either way. If that stopped you, then don't block anyone's way.

Sorry OP. if we disrupt your thread, won't continue this further.

Well, again, just a heads up that DE isn't looking for or accepting Warframe remodels right now, just helmet remodel

Thanks for the headup? Maybe this can be made and refined around a time they ARE looking for remodels. I'm just excited to create in general for tennogen. Even if I have to start up small. 

I'm asking for feed back on the design, though not whether or not itll be accepted, ya know?