Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Endgame Content Concept] Smuggler's Refuge || Version 7.0 || The Road to Completion, Part 1 - Help Wanted~!

MissMarifire

17 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

This is the only part of their lore that feels slight, and since it's the catalyst for them leaving, it's significant.

Defective/not wanting to fight for the Queens feels like a shortcut, but it's good for now. Consider going back later and refining how they were defective, why they didn't want to fight for the Queens, and why they left.

Maybe Arbis is the only one able to express all those whys. Maybe Ora and Tev know the whys, can feel them in their bones, but they make them somber/quiet and angry/argumentative (respectively).

Other than that, everything's good. (I feel like Arbis should be more buffed up to reflect Tyl, tho. I dunno. Up to you.)

Hm, I'll consider rewriting it tonight.

17 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

I like this part, but I don't dig the NPC having an AW of any kind. What was your reasoning behind that concept? Maybe I just don't see it.

In retrospect, I feel it doesn't make sense, either. Perhaps when I was writing it I had the idea of being able to race the NPC as opposed to the use of ghosts, and my memory trailed off as I wrote. In this case, I may either ditch the NPC and refer to a terminal instead, or keep the NPC and edit accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Frohd Bek desperately needs to appear more in the game, he's a really interesting character and the Corpus have so very few characters that contact the tenno, so involving him in the quest available in this area is very clever.
I'd love more sigils that change as you progress in the manner the MR sigil does, so that should be fun.
Another relay-type area that isn't identical to the rest would be really cool especially considering we already have a Grineer themed one (mostly at least) which is the Earth trading relay.

On 8/29/2016 at 11:47 AM, Sundercommander said:

This needs to happen. It would give more personality to the relays and add a bit of gravity and believably to the universe. Reminds you that there are more than just militant merchant guilds and clones populating the Origin System.

Thank you. It has a long way to go until its finished, but we'll get there.

On 9/10/2016 at 8:07 PM, Navarchus said:

Frohd Bek desperately needs to appear more in the game, he's a really interesting character and the Corpus have so very few characters that contact the tenno, so involving him in the quest available in this area is very clever.
I'd love more sigils that change as you progress in the manner the MR sigil does, so that should be fun.
Another relay-type area that isn't identical to the rest would be really cool especially considering we already have a Grineer themed one (mostly at least) which is the Earth trading relay.

Thank you; Frohd's definitely someone I'd like to see more of in Warframe, and more on his whole thing about him and Darvo. More father and son angst!

30 minutes ago, BladeWielder65 said:

I look foward to the soothing melodies of Harktor. They're getting this angel's voice, OOH

I'm getting goosebumps already.

I'm crying, this is beautiful.

---

I've began work on the band-specific quests: These quests can be obtained after finishing unique jobs for their specific band, and 24 hours before the Virtuous Star comes to visit, if the band is present on the ship they will send an inbox message to the Tenno. Everything that's been written is on the Google Document, but none of them are done.

Also, Harktor's getting a rewrite, that's coming soon; I'll be elaborating more on why they didn't want to serve the Twin Queens. There'll also be an addition for quotes that Zeribus or the bands will say when the Tenno interact with them.

I have plans to add Nevdrus's artwork into the main thread as soon as their designs are complete (Varmia's and Tullic's designs are being worked on at the same time, so they'll be coming soon). Zeribus will be getting a minor redesign, but that aside, everything's coming along.

• 2 weeks later...

After a short discussion between @StallordD and I a few days ago, he suggested a change for the Tenno band, Lares, that I have became very fond of. I will write more on Lares later, but in essence:

As opposed to them being Tenno, they would instead be scholars, potentially aligned with the Arbiters of Hexis, who study Orokin music. With the Virtuous Star, they perform to spread awareness and revive a now lost art.

The quest they would have would potentially involve the Tenno locating and going to the Orokin Moon, Lua, to complete music puzzles to further their study.

That aside, Harktor's quest is almost complete, and progress has been made with art. While I'd like to finish the quest and have it posted by tomorrow, I'm not sure if I will be posting an update tomorrow, because it'll actually be my birthday and I will be pretty busy.

Edited by MissMarifire

I have finished writing up a draft for Harktor's quest. There is dialogue, but I don't really feel it's very in-character for any of the characters yet, so I'll have to go through and do a rewrite. I have the full idea of it down, though.

Spoiler

Requirements: Another Favour For Darvo completed. 25 unique jobs completed for Harktor.

After the Tenno has completed 25 unique jobs for Harktor, they will receive a short inbox message from Arbis Ceg personally before their next visit to one of the Relays:

Spoiler

"Tenno,

You have been an incredibly generous friend to us, however there is yet one more request we have for you. We have received some rather troubling news. Please, visit us at the Virtuous Star at your earliest convenience.

-Arbis Ceg”

Upon visiting the Virtuous Star whenever Harktor is present, Arbis will explain to the Tenno:

Spoiler

“We are relieved to see you, Tenno. We have received some alarming intel. You see, my siblings and I were created by Tyl Regor, under a project that aimed to create more genetically advanced Grineer, an experiment that could be described as creating his own personal recreation of the Nightwatch, both more fierce in strength and parallel to his likeness. He wanted to use us as the next generation of Grineer cloning, but we thought otherwise. He felt that we are ‘defective’ to him and, now that he has discovered our presence, that our mere existence is a blemish that he feels should be removed as soon as possible. We ask of you to sabotage his efforts.“

The first node Arbis sends the Tenno to is Rosalind, Uranus, on a spy mission to obtain data on where the labs Tyl Regor is making these specific clones in, each node revealing itself as data is extracted.

Spoiler

“Hm, Ariel… a small Grineer cloning lab. Keep going, Tenno, this can't be just it.”

“Puck… I recall that site being a mining facility for Gallium. How peculiar. Continue your efforts, Tenno.”

“Umbriel…

...wait a minute, Tenno. This has information on another location, but the data is encrypted far beyond my abilities. This will work, bring the data back and we will have the Steel Meridian look into it. In the meantime, please take care of the other locations, Tenno.”

The second, third, and fourth nodes Arbis sends the Tenno to is Ariel, Uranus; Puck, Uranus; and Umbriel, Uranus, on sabotage missions to destroy the labs. Upon destroying the labs, Tyl Regor will come up on the radio as the Tenno head for extraction:

NODE 1:

Spoiler

TYL REGOR: “Tenno! You are fiddling with things you shouldn't!”

ARBIS CEG: “I would keep my mouth closed if I were you, Regor.”

REGOR: “Wait, is that… my Arbis? I-Is that you?”

CEG: “I am nothing to you, Regor, as you are nothing to me.”

NODE 2:

Spoiler

REGOR: “Arbis, do you know what you are doing? This is advancement of your kind.”

CEG: “All you want is war, Regor. This is for your own good.”

REGOR: “You selfish cretins don't understand, do you? Do you not know of my efforts?”

CEG: “Your efforts are to destroy the system’s peace. We want nothing of that.”

NODE 3:

Spoiler

REGOR: “You were meant to be saviours, leaders! Why would you choose to go against your own people?”

CEG: “The only thing we'd become would be murderers.”

Once these nodes have been completed, the Tenno will recieve a message from Arbis Ceg.

Spoiler

“Tenno,

With the efforts of Cressa Tal’s operatives, they have successfully decrypted the data from before. I request that you come to the relay immediately.

-Arbis Ceg”

Upon coming back to the relay, the Tenno will find Arbis standing next to Cressa Tal at the Steel Meridian room, who has had an operative of hers successfully decrypted the encrypted data.

Spoiler

CRESSA TAL: “Arbis, my operative has decoded the encrypted data.”

CEG: “Well, we must hurry. What is the final location?”

TAL: “Rosalind, Uranus. It is one of Tyl Regor’s largest and most secluded cloning facilities stationed on the planet.”

CEG: “...I remember Rosalind. That was the lab that I, that my siblings were created in. Destroying it would take all of Tyl Regor’s research efforts along with it.”

TAL: “Do you plan on extracting any information from the lab?”

CEG: “No, we must destroy it. Tyl Regor must be stopped.”

There is only one node left in the quest: Rosalind, Uranus, where the Tenno must make one final move to completely sabotage Tyl Regor’s efforts by exterminating a  newly created platoon of tubemen using the last of the new serum created, and to destroy his research.

Spoiler

REGOR: “You were my creations, my children. You were meant to serve the Twin Queens, to serve your creator. You would be hailed as heroes among the Grineer. Why did you deny this, Arbis?”

CEG: “We didn’t want to serve your violent causes, Regor. You made us to kill, and we simply wished to not comply.”

REGOR: “Yet you kill your very brothers and sisters and have the nerve to state that?”

CEG: “They are about as much as siblings to us as you are a father. You deserve this.”

Once the mission has been completed, the Tenno will receive another message from Arbis.

Spoiler

“Tenno,

I don't believe you could fathom how much your efforts are helping us, helping the system. By destroying Tyl Regor’s labs and successfully sabotaging his prototype Grineer, he will be nothing more than a nuisance to you. This is the least we could do for you."

-Arbis Ceg”

The message will contain the HARKTOR Armor Set and an EXILUS ADAPTER.

Edited by MissMarifire

Good developments and really good quest.

I do have one major issue with the quest, but know that overall it os solid.

Arbis and his siblings don't want to kill, but actually have no qualms about killing due to the lab sabotage.

They cannot possibly know with a 100% certainty that the clones they're killing won't be like them.

As I read it, this stood out to me, and even when I reached the ending, Arbis' reasoning was not sufficient for me as a reader.

It's a video game. Tyl is a bad guy. Tenno are good guys. Allies of Tenno tend to be good guys, in support of a good cause, or neutral or the lesser of two or more evils.

I understand all that, but as a reader, there is no good reason not to add a little moral complexity to interactions within the black and white, good and evil dynamic of video games.

Arbis excuses his murders of the clones by saying Tyl deserves it.

That sidesteps Tyl's very valid point that Arbis is a hypocrite.

What I would like is a sense of deep regret and sadness from Arbis that, yes, he can kill like the best of the Grineer, but he chooses not to. An acknowledgement that he will live with these murders for the rest of his life if it means these clones will not go on to murder countless more in service to Tyl, the Queens and the Grineer empire that have ravished the system.

I want Arbis to feel that pain, and let it shape his character. To know that he can access Tyl's, his progenitor, savagery would bring him sadness, but to know he can choose not to gives him peace.

Another possibility, have Arbis tell his siblings/bandmates they will try to free/save as many clones as possible, but tell the Tenno to hack lab logs in order to ascertain the clones neurological and physiological analysis results.

When they all prove to be irredeemable killers (where Grineer "reform" looks like the G3 program), it is then he levels with his siblings and the agree, not without grief, that the clones must be destroyed.

This also gives you a chance to reflect Tyl's deep connection to his clones, but through the more humane / not evil eyes of Arbis and his mates.

Again, this criticism is offered in addition to the already good quest. Use what advice you can, discard the rest.

Ah, and a belated happy birthday to you. Hope you had a good one!

Edited by Rhekemi

14 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

Good developments and really good quest.

I do have one major issue with the quest, but know that overall it os solid.

Arbis and his siblings don't want to kill, but actually have no qualms about killing due to the lab sabotage.

They cannot possibly know with a 100% certainty that the clones they're killing won't be like them.

As I read it, this stood out to me, and even when I reached the ending, Arbis' reasoning was not sufficient for me as a reader.

It's a video game. Tyl is a bad guy. Tenno are good guys. Allies of Tenno tend to be good guys, in support of a good cause, or neutral or the lesser of two or more evils.

I understand all that, but as a reader, there is no good reason not to add a little moral complexity to interactions within the black and white, good and evil dynamic of video games.

Arbis excuses his murders of the clones by saying Tyl deserves it.

That sidesteps Tyl's very valid point that Arbis is a hypocrite.

What I would like is a sense of deep regret and sadness from Arbis that, yes, he can kill like the best of the Grineer, but he chooses not to. An acknowledgement that he will live with these murders for the rest of his life if it means these clones will not go on to murder countless more in service to Tyl, the Queens and the Grineer empire that have ravished the system.

I want Arbis to feel that pain, and let it shape his character. To know that he can access Tyl's, his progenitor, savagery would bring him sadness, but to know he can choose not to gives him peace.

Another possibility, have Arbis tell his siblings/bandmates they will try to free/save as many clones as possible, but tell the Tenno to hack lab logs in order to ascertain the clones neurological and physiological analysis results.

When they all prove to be irredeemable killers (where Grineer "reform" looks like the G3 program), it is then he levels with his siblings and the agree, not without grief, that the clones must be destroyed.

This also gives you a chance to reflect Tyl's deep connection to his clones, but through the more humane / not evil eyes of Arbis and his mates.

Again, this criticism is offered in addition to the already good quest. Use what advice you can, discard the rest.

Ah, and a belated happy birthday to you. Hope you had a good one!

That is a very good point, and I see what you mean. When I rewrite the quest, I do think factoring in moral complexity into it will create a more engaging experience for the player.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm afraid there isn't much to update here. A majority of my focus has been on the art for this thread, since it is very art-heavy. For updates on that, the art thread is here, check the latest post in the thread.

All I've really done in terms of writing lately is putting my thoughts together on Archwing Racing, but that aside it hasn't changed much.

There would be an addition to all the Relay Hangars in the center dock, replacing the spawn point for Tenno there: a terminal. This terminal gives the Tenno options to practice the three racing maps given: Open Space, Crossfire, and Relay. Open Space and Relay are obligatory, whereas Crossfire is a racing map whereas the Tenno must traverse via Archwing through a crossfire between the Grineer and Corpus. I have other ideas for more planet-based Archwing racing (ex. through Jupiter or Uranus), but I feel just having the three maps would be good enough. The terminal would be used for time trials only (solo runs for the lowest time), whereas the terminal in the Virtuous Star would be for competition racing, versus other players. Players who achieve the lowest time or certain number of wins will receive syandanas for each feat respectively after the Virtuous Star departs from the Relay.

I've got a real crude traceover I did using a screenshot I took. Putting this in here because I feel like I didn't really put enough effort for it to warrant it's own post in the art thread:

Spoiler

dFKrwaC.png

I've also done a resketch of how the UI for interacting with Zeribus may look like, just for fun. Here's a comparison between the old and new sketches:

Spoiler

04MfNTu.pngkNpHY4v.png

It's pretty interesting to see how, even in sketches, I've improved. I don't know if that would be what the Virtuous Star may look from the inside quite yet, but time will tell.

Edited by MissMarifire

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've already posted it in the art thread, I feel it fits in here as well. As I'm on mobile, I cannot insert spoilers at the moment.

It's a draft of the layout of the Virtuous Star, the bar itself. Note that the rest of the ship is inaccessible after the events of Another Favor for Darvo, as I would see it merely using the Corpus Ship tileset.

o07hqgS.png

Do note that I am awful at architectural drafting, and this only further supports that notion.

Edited by MissMarifire

Updated the main post a bit to include information on Archwing Racing. I'm hoping soon I can get around to the Harktor rewrite, as well as starting on Lares. It's likely that they'd be the hardest to create, what with being unaligned with any particular faction, so I won't have much to base them on. It wouldn't hurt to try, though.

I have looked over this concept and found it very inlightening. The idea of AW racing intriguing since one of my clan voiced her desire for such a concept. Since then I have been thinking how it could work. Here are some of the ideas in addition to those already presented on this well laid out thread.  

Enhanced AW moment in the form of slingshot maneuvers. 

Speed buffs for shooting targets

Speed debuffs for firing on fellow Tenno

Edited by -Akeva-Banshee-

22 hours ago, -Akeva-Banshee- said:

I have looked over this concept and found it very inlightening. The idea of AW racing intriguing since one of my clan voiced her desire for such a concept. Since then I have been thinking how it could work. Here are some of the ideas in addition to those already presented on this well laid out thread.  

Enhanced AW moment in the form of slingshot maneuvers. 

Speed buffs for shooting targets

Speed debuffs for firing on fellow Tenno

I understand that Archwing Racing, in itself, is a really popular topic and that it's very desired as an in-game gamemode. There's already been a few threads about it, but I thought that it wouldn't hurt to try and incorporate it into this concept.

Nonetheless, those are solid suggestions to add to what's already here. Could you elaborate on what "slingshot maneuvers" means?

18 hours ago, MissMarifire said:

I understand that Archwing Racing, in itself, is a really popular topic and that it's very desired as an in-game gamemode. There's already been a few threads about it, but I thought that it wouldn't hurt to try and incorporate it into this concept.

Nonetheless, those are solid suggestions to add to what's already here. Could you elaborate on what "slingshot maneuvers" means?

Maybe they meant gravitic slingshotting? A hairpin turn around a gravitic object that chucks you out the other way at Mach speed?

Edited by Unus

44 minutes ago, Unus said:

Maybe they meant gravatic slingshotting? A hairpin turn around a gravitic object that chucks you out the other way at Mach speed?

More or less yes but there would have to be an object that pulls you in then orbs or maybe a highlighted course around the object that if completed correctly gives you a big enough boost that negates the time spent going around the object and still gives you a large speed boost and some extra XP or award like daily rep bonus or whatever. 

14 hours ago, -Akeva-Banshee- said:

More or less yes but there would have to be an object that pulls you in then orbs or maybe a highlighted course around the object that if completed correctly gives you a big enough boost that negates the time spent going around the object and still gives you a large speed boost and some extra XP or award like daily rep bonus or whatever. 

Ah, okay. It'd certainly be an interesting mechanic to use. I'll keep it in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

this is an amazing concept and i really hope DE see's it and implements it. i've been wanting to make a thread of my own for fleshing out relays, as they seem pretty dry and bare bones without baro around, excluding maroo's bazar of course as of recent updates. but something else i was talking about with friends is actual faction merchants, as the faction rooms in relays hold very little purpose other than to turn in emblems. at the time of writing this ive sadly forgotten alot of the ideas that got my friends excited about them. after seeing this i thought i'd leave a note and see how you could work with it or incorporate it into your ideas. one concept i do remember is turning in enemie faction medallions or enemy faction items such as weapons or mods you dont use but might have bought at the time, and being able to turn them into another factions merchant for rep, or faction specific currency for items only available at those shops that are inaccessible in the orbitor (i.e. faction specific accessories like more syandanas, armor pieces, color templates, noggles/liset decorations). just to kind of flesh out the factions and give more of a purpose to actually going to a relay, and it might work really well just with what your running here. just thought i'd leave this here for you to ponder over and think about, i might still make a thread and just get some peoples ideas on it or even to just grab DE's attention on it and also help shoot their attention over here.

13 hours ago, -Akeva-Banshee- said:

Lets face it you have done wonders here. The concept is amazing. Could you do more? Yes but what is only limited by your imagination. 

And not having writer's block works wonders. Sadly, that hasn't been the case for me recently. Trying to rewrite Harktor's quest, and thinking up one for Nevdrus, has been difficult. I've began work on Lares, though, so that's kinda cool. You might get to see more of them in the near future.

Thanks, regardless. I try my hardest with it.

7 hours ago, silent_sentinal said:

this is an amazing concept and i really hope DE see's it and implements it. i've been wanting to make a thread of my own for fleshing out relays, as they seem pretty dry and bare bones without baro around, excluding maroo's bazar of course as of recent updates. but something else i was talking about with friends is actual faction merchants, as the faction rooms in relays hold very little purpose other than to turn in emblems. at the time of writing this ive sadly forgotten alot of the ideas that got my friends excited about them. after seeing this i thought i'd leave a note and see how you could work with it or incorporate it into your ideas. one concept i do remember is turning in enemie faction medallions or enemy faction items such as weapons or mods you dont use but might have bought at the time, and being able to turn them into another factions merchant for rep, or faction specific currency for items only available at those shops that are inaccessible in the orbitor (i.e. faction specific accessories like more syandanas, armor pieces, color templates, noggles/liset decorations). just to kind of flesh out the factions and give more of a purpose to actually going to a relay, and it might work really well just with what your running here. just thought i'd leave this here for you to ponder over and think about, i might still make a thread and just get some peoples ideas on it or even to just grab DE's attention on it and also help shoot their attention over here.

So, taking Faction-specific (Grineer, Corpus, Infested) weaponry, converting it into currency of the respective faction, to buy their related accessories? Or by Faction-Specific, you mean the Syndicates?

If you mean the larger factions: Canonically, Credits have been the universal currency of Warframe, although within the Grineer themselves, they use Salvage to trade between one another, an item that is a crafting ingredient for us. Also, having several currencies for the Grineer, Corpus, and Infested respectively would, no doubt, confuse  players. With how we have the game now, we have Credits, Platinum, and Ducats. As a comparison, back when I played Wildstar, they had so many different currencies that it was actually confusing to the point that it was one of the reasons I stopped playing it. They had four ranks of standardized currency (tiers that converted into one another once the player has obtained a certain amount), and then eleven other non-standard currencies that aren't related to one another in any way, shape, or form. What with the focus on making the game more beginner-friendly, adding several additional would likely be a very bad move on DE's part. If anything, I could see them adding one more currency that's used universally by the merchants, or just using Credits.

If you mean factions as in the Syndicates: Having several currencies for them would be even more confusing (Standard Three + Six adding from each faction = NINE total currencies as opposed to the six+), and what with our current system of Syndicate Standing, it could just be converted to that instead, having a subordinate merchant for each Syndicate selling Syndicate-specific accessories or decor for Syndicate Standing.

It's an interesting idea nonetheless, but the way you've proposed it would just add even more confusion to the game itself. I'm not opposed to having merchants that sell faction-specific items whatsoever, in fact it's a great idea. However, adding more currencies will be detrimental to the game in terms of how well newer users, or users first exposed to it, will understand it.

Edited by MissMarifire

A few nights back, my power supply blew, which means for a few weeks I will be without a computer. According to my brother, my boot drive is still very well intact and has been unscathed, but he cannot say the same about my motherboard or CPU. So, while I didn't lose any particularly valuable files, my progress with art will be halted likely until Christmas. I'll still try to update the concept itself every week, but until the parts for my new rig come in, I won't be able to do much of anything past sketches for art.

I've been thinking a lot on what the War Within has provided for us, and there were a couple things that had made me raise a brow, one for a bad reason, the other for a more interesting one:

1. The Operators: With the upcoming plans (if not already implemented, it's been a while) of having Operators walk in the Relays may cause a bit of a stir, considering that this concept, as a whole, revolves around a bar. With this, it'd probably be best to have the mechanic that brings Operators back into their Warframes when they enter the bar. A good lore reason for this could be that Zeribus does not allow minors in the bar, and that the Lotus is mindful of this. To make sure that her kids aren't going around drinking and partying, she puts those measures in.

2. The Orokin Theater: This may actually be a plot point for Lares's quest, as when I saw it during the War Within, I immediately thought of thay band. A general idea I have for the quest could involve having the Tenno delve back into the Orokin Theater, studying and seeing how it conducted business and what they may have used to perform. They would give blurbs about certain portions of the theater as well, based on their findings.

This may also mean that the band quests may be locked until the War Within is completed, to ensure that they're the same in prerequisites aside from doing errands for that specific band. In that case, I'll see how I can incorporate or hint at portions of TSD or TWW into their respective quests.

I've been considering various other things for the concept, such as the option to introduce new weaponry. There's a few ways they could be implemented in the concept:

• Relay Request Rewards. Blueprints for these weapons will be given on the occassion that the Tenno achieves a certain number of Relay Requests completed. They will be sent to the Tenno on the accord of a 'Relay Citizen', and like the weapons obtained through Daily Rewards, they will be fully built for the Tenno to use.

• Merchants: An idea based on an older rendition of the concept itself, there could be merchants who visit the Virtuous Star who may offer to sell various weaponry at discounted prices, similar to how Darvo does, albeit at a faster rate with an even more limited time. They will sell Research weaponry specifically, and will sell the blueprints for these weapons alongside them. Weapons implemented through this system will be added in Dojo Research in their respective faction's researching room.

Now, on the topic of what these weapons are: I am not actually very sure as of now. It's bound to take time, but I'm lenient towards focusing on Secondary and Melee weaponry.

My only current issue with some of these ideas, however, is that it drifts away from the idea I originally had with the concept: to give players optional content whose only incentives are not forced upon the player to progress in the game. However, the introduction of weaponry to the concept will force players to complete it in order to progress their MR.