Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sentients Are Here, So Is It Time For Holster 2.0?

Man_In_Suitcase

As Tenno, we have an abundance of various tools at our disposal to maim and murder masses till our little hearts are content, however we are gimped by a rather cumbersome and linear combat mechanic and animation that limits our dexterous ninja skils to that are more akin to a Snail, so introducing Holster 2.0....

Now what Holster 2.0 entails isn't a total radical rework of the current equipping mechanic,but rather adresses the core issue of how you would use a primary weapon and a secondary weapon on the fly. Obviously at the moment, in order to use a secondary we have to completely holster our primary in order to use it and vice-versa. This for me breaks the flow of combat in general. I've especiallly noticed this more as I'm battling Sentients as you are required to mix it up in order to be effective against them, and as Sentients are becoming a prominent faction I think it's the perfect time this got a looked at.

Not only by allowing us to alternate between for e.g, firing a Dread arrow at an enemy, followed up by a quick shot burst to the face with the Twin Grakatas without that sluggish holstering animation be awesome, it would allow for much greater synergies between weapon loadouts and builds, all whilest keeping the combat flow seamlessly without over complicating the simplicity of Warframe's combat. We already have many weapons collecting dust in the dank recesses of our Lisets at our disposal, and Spoiler! I feel this is a natural progression of a Tenno's abilty to manipulate a Warframe.

Perhaps in the future this could be built on futhermore so we could perform certain melee combos without actually having to equip melees but the drawback would be at only x % of damage but can stilll proc, the possiblities are enticing....So Parkour 2.0 fixed alot of issues with the flow of movement and combat like being able to reload and Bullet Jump at the same time, the general consensus appears to be shared, but now the time feels right for this change. So would you support this change? And if so how would you like this to be integrated into Warframe? Thanks for reading!

Edited by Man_In_Suitcase

It would be nice to have some kind of "Quick-shoot" for Secondaries where you fire it using your off-hand while just holding your Primary aside. One thing I personally would LOVE to see is an ability to wield both Melee and your Secondary (one-handed Melees only) to be able to both fire and use combos at the expense of Channeling

It would be nice to have some kind of "Quick-shoot" for Secondaries where you fire it using your off-hand while just holding your Primary aside. One thing I personally would LOVE to see is an ability to wield both Melee and your Secondary (one-handed Melees only) to be able to both fire and use combos at the expense of Channeling

LIKE A MOTHERHEKKIN' SPACE MARINE!  For the Emperor Lotus!!

That's a really good idea. Have a quick secondary shot like quick melee. Maybe for dual weapons only be a single weapon similar to when you're downed. That'd flow great.

LIKE A MOTHERCLEMMING' SPACE MARINE! For the Emperor Lotus!!

Fixed that for you.

I too would love to see an update on switching weapons and "sheathing and unsheathing" melee weapons. All too often I'm stuck for a couple of seconds waiting for said animations to play so I can do any damage.

Even worse is when said animation lags, so you press the button a second time thinking that it didn't register.  Then, you go through the animations only to immediately go through those animations again and be back at the weapon you wanted to switch away from anyway forcing you to go through the animations a third time to get to the weapon you wanted all along...or does that only happen to me?

I've had an idea of void storage for carried equipment for a while now. Basically you grab your weapon from empty space and when you switch weapons you just drop the other one back to your personal void pocket (or throw it if you want to be fancy). I'm pretty sure it's already in the game, seeing how you can carry lots of items but none of it shows on the Warframe, or how weapons can turn invisible if you so choose. It wouldn't be unlimited space though, the more power you have in there the higher the void energy emanating from your frame, which is basically what the PVE conclave rating is. Try to carry too much and either the void pocket rips open or enemies detect your landing craft and shoots it before you can get to the mission.

tl;dr Malletspace.

Quick fire for secondary weapon is a neat idea though.

Even worse is when said animation lags, so you press the button a second time thinking that it didn't register.  Then, you go through the animations only to immediately go through those animations again and be back at the weapon you wanted to switch away from anyway forcing you to go through the animations a third time to get to the weapon you wanted all along...or does that only happen to me?

This happens. So. Much. 

>.>

All I want is for weapon swap animations to be increased by 500%.

This is one of the few things about the game that really bugs me, now that Parkour 2.0 is here.  It takes so long to swap that it breaks immersion for me (this was why Parkour prior to 2.0 bugged me, I just couldn't get it right at times and it yanked me out of immersion).  Hek (hur hur), I'd be ok with dropping my Dread to quickdraw my Atomos/Kulstar/Pyrana if it meant I didn't have time to think "Did it swap?  Do I need to press the button again?  I need to press the button again don't I, ok I'm pressing the button again, oh wait now it swapped weapons twice".

I don't think a global weapon swap speed buff would be OP, but it definitely could have complications.  The holster mods might need reworked (maybe a damage bonus after swapping?), and Chroma's toxin ward might need reworked again (not a complaint, I just imagine the Devs might be a little salty about this part).  

There was something like this in one of the Resident Evil games no one liked (Operation Raccoon City), holding down one of the buttons on the controller pulled out the secondary to be fired quickly. It had an auto lock-on to enemies nearby and releasing the button brought back the primary to be used. It had a little holster time but it was pretty quick the the weapon could be fired off soon after holding down the button. It worked really well imo.

This is one of the few things about the game that really bugs me, now that Parkour 2.0 is here.  It takes so long to swap that it breaks immersion for me (this was why Parkour prior to 2.0 bugged me, I just couldn't get it right at times and it yanked me out of immersion).  Hek (hur hur), I'd be ok with dropping my Dread to quickdraw my Atomos/Kulstar/Pyrana if it meant I didn't have time to think "Did it swap?  Do I need to press the button again?  I need to press the button again don't I, ok I'm pressing the button again, oh wait now it swapped weapons twice".

I don't think a global weapon swap speed buff would be OP, but it definitely could have complications.  The holster mods might need reworked (maybe a damage bonus after swapping?), and Chroma's toxin ward might need reworked again (not a complaint, I just imagine the Devs might be a little salty about this part).  

Reworking the holster mods/aura etc is a good as bandaid really, and doesn't fix the infuriation of the holstering in general as mention in my OP, it would be like trying to fix all what was wrong with Parkour 1.0 with just mods, it doesn't always wash well when Tenno have to give up their mod slots.

Reworking the holster mods/aura etc is a good as bandaid really, and doesn't fix the infuriation of the holstering in general as mention in my OP, it would be like trying to fix all what was wrong with Parkour 1.0 with just mods, it doesn't always wash well when Tenno have to give up their mod slots.

I think we got wires crossed somewhere.  I totally agree with you, I just think there would be complications with regard to things that would need tweaked, due to being rendered useless by a holster buff; i.e. not "just buff the mods don't rework' but instead "yes, do this... but this will need done too as a result".

Perhaps the melee-sidearm combo could work by binding the sidearm to the alt-fire key while you're wielding your melee weapon. Not sure how firing a sidearm without swapping out from your primary could be integrated into the controls though (especially for a controller), but it'd be cool to be able to do.

After playing Conclave with those +200% holster speed mods, I can't help but feel it'd be great if we had that sort of speed, or something close to it, by default. It makes things so much more fluid. I'd probably use Speed Holster as an aura, but it would wreck my builds due to being worth fewer mod points than Energy Syphon.

dude, i have news for you

SpeedHolster.png

So I should have to give up any of the extremely valuable Aura mods in order to equip a mod that simply fixes a poor game design decision?

That's not even mentioning the fact that it doesn't match most frames polarities.

That's complete crap.

Edited by (PS4)federally

SpeedHolster.png

Unfortunately, most people still see this as a band aid mod and thus write it off as an option, like the guy above me.  He's wrong of course, because if all we're left with are mods that increase raw damage or survivability, we might as well not have a mod system at all.  If there's a "flaw" in the system, it's the perfect place to create a mod around.  The Soma only gets away with it because it's band aid mods come in the form of raw damage.  Maybe if speed holster offered more mod points than normal?  It would also be nice to have a non-aura variant of this mod.  

I do like the quick-draw secondary idea though, it would just still require Tenno to find time to switch over and reload it which is a fair expectation I think.

Edited by Littleman88

SpeedHolster.png

Hey, that's a snazzy band-aid there.  How can I apply that and the 4 CP band-aids I need to make infinite armor scaling a non issue at the same time? Don't say Covert Lethality daggers with an Excal/Ivara/Equinox - we're making the requirements a bit too specific there.

Snarkiness aside, I'm not saying base speed should be Toxic Chroma wearing Speed Holster and the conclave mods fast.  Just that it shouldn't be "am I playing Final Fantasy I or Dragon Warrior right now?" slow.  

Seriously, swapping weapons feels like turn based combat.  It's been annoying for a while, especially with the fact that, usually, a smart loadout includes a primary or secondary designed to take out the trash, while the other weapon is reserved for deleting major threats as fast as possible.  Weapon swap speed needs tuned to allow for fluid gameplay, as swapping weapons is pretty clearly supposed to be an integral part of the game.  Not, again, not made lightning fast, but it needs a buff at least to "meh, a bit slow but whatever", that can then be increased, reasonably (non aura mod, because no, that's not really worth an aura slot, especially with 5 capacity).  I'm hoping the damage rework facilitates this by creating some open slots on weapons without trashing them, that can then be used for this sort of utility.

Sentients are just highlighting an issue that's been present for a while.

Perhaps the melee-sidearm combo could work by binding the sidearm to the alt-fire key while you're wielding your melee weapon. Not sure how firing a sidearm without swapping out from your primary could be integrated into the controls though (especially for a controller), but it'd be cool to be able to do.

After playing Conclave with those +200% holster speed mods, I can't help but feel it'd be great if we had that sort of speed, or something close to it, by default. It makes things so much more fluid. I'd probably use Speed Holster as an aura, but it would wreck my builds due to being worth fewer mod points than Energy Syphon.

i think holster pvp mods now work on Pve, so...

Edited by Toppien