Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question: Anyone Interested In Seeing Genderswap Skins?

arch111

This entire thread is just one big S#&$storm and I'm starting to get convinced some people are just being trolls.

Go for it OP, these guys are obviously not going to listen to you and even if you do give evidence or make a point they'll just refute it. Don't cater to a vocal pessimistic minority, as that's what the Warframe forums generally are composed of, unhelpful people. Cater to yourself as your own personal opinion is more important than others. Nothing wrong with asking for help but no one here is helping.

This entire thread is just one big S#&$storm and I'm starting to get convinced some people are just being trolls.

Go for it OP, these guys are obviously not going to listen to you and even if you do give evidence or make a point they'll just refute it. Don't cater to a vocal pessimistic minority, as that's what the Warframe forums generally are composed of, unhelpful people. Cater to yourself as your own personal opinion is more important than others. Nothing wrong with asking for help but no one here is helping.

Man Zhanny where do I even begin? Not once did I ever say the idea was dumb. I said I didn't see the point of it, and that I was not personally interested in it. I also said, that from my perspective it would mess with the lore.The title of the thread is asking if people are interested or not, therefore it is something that is open to talking about. Not everyone is on one side, or another. Just because I disagree with the need for something, doesn't mean I outright hate the idea, and I'm sure that applies to many other people. When you hop onto someone's thread and accuse people of being unhelpful or pessimistic simply for having a differing opinion how are you any different?

It would be helpful and constructive if you didn't loop everyone with a differing opinion into a close minded state of existence as it is every bit as sad and ignorant as the people you're trying to defend the OP from. Hope you understand exactly what I meant so that things aren't misconstrued. 

Regards.  

Pro tip - supporting one persons dream does not require you to put down other people.

The discussions being held here are a lot more positive and respectful that the other gender threads that have popped up over the last year, and not everyone participating is against the OP's idea. 

*sigh*

Every time I mention gender skins, this happens. Every time.

Look.

I get there are ALOT of people who think this is a bad idea. Further more no one at Digital Extremes have said this is even under consideration, well except for that one mention a few months ago.

So right now, the fact of the matter is that this is all hypothetical.

So.

Regardless of the future of tennogen, skins and such, I on my end enjoy the idea of figuring out how a gender opposite could look like.

The mention of Vorpal is actually a good one. But my take on that would be to take on influences from a myth, god or legend but keep the powers the same.

This way the skin is unique, but still bear traits inherited from the original and traits from the new source of inspiration.

This way a male Ember could be based on the firebreathing Chimera, and elements of that monster can be blended with that of Ember to create something new.

This is not for everyone. But it can be fun for those who are interested :)

Pro tip - supporting one persons dream does not require you to put down other people.

The discussions being held here are a lot more positive and respectful that the other gender threads that have popped up over the last year, and not everyone participating is against the OP's idea.

Yes, you're right of course. Last year was bad and very little constructive came from those threads.

I guess I am just really stubborn, and keep pushing the topic.

I never gave up on Valkyr, and one fine day it arrived. Never say never :)

They have mentioned in a devstream that there won't be gender swapping. They did, however, say that they could release a Warframe of the opposite gender but with a similar theme.

For all I know DE can make a Warframe similiar to Excalibur named Vorpal with different abilities. different gender but similiar theme.

Plus, I still stand by my point for Tennogen. Locking "Genders" behind any form of paywall is horrible practice. That kind of practice turns players away. It doesn't matter if it's optional or not. Since genders is a touchy subject to begin with.

To add, I'm sure the workshop is going to be filled with this competition of people trying to make the best skin ever, flooding the workshop with no helmets. Just gender swapping skins.

Oh and uh, to everyone, Too lazy to google? This is why I said Vorpal as an example for a similiar Warframe like Excalibur (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vorpal)

Yes we have been over this in past threads, and there is no new word on this. Nor will it be untill and unless that policy changes.

Is it a bad idea? That imply to me at least that the interest and indeed demand for genderswaps would be fairly big, much bigger than I think it will be.

But that it would drown out the helmets and regular skins, well that would be really surprising.

I hope you are wrong, and that it would be as the other skins that are now permanent in the store. And that bundles would eventually be put together.

But, like I said. This is just talking air.

I think what it comes down to is this:

If you like the idea and want to pursue it artistically, go for it. Literally no one can stop you from doing this. There are plenty of people who would enjoy your work. 

However, it is outside the guidelines DE have created for TennoGen. You are taking an extremely large risk if you want it in the game.

My personal feeling is that it's not adding anything new to the game. Gender aside, the point of the Warframe is the theme, and if you are copying the theme, there's far more interesting ways to go about re-inventing it than just a gender change and a new set of abilities. Make a new frame with a different secondary theme, it will be more interesting and unique. But that's me! No one can tell you what you should pursue in your art. Do the thing you want to do and don't bother with opinions like this, man. People will always react the way they are in this thread in response to this question.

Anyway, even though I don't personally like the idea, I completely support you making them anyway. Do it.

awesome

Well at least it was a true attempt at doing a female skin for a bulk like rhino whitout loosing the original feel of it.

I think it proves that a female skin do not have to have narrow waist and boobs, and a male skin do not have to have big muscles and a superherobuild in order for it to work.

The point was that if this was in the game, people would say: Oh you got the Rhino female skin pack?

And not go: What frame is that?

I think what it comes down to is this:

If you like the idea and want to pursue it artistically, go for it. Literally no one can stop you from doing this. There are plenty of people who would enjoy your work.

However, it is outside the guidelines DE have created for TennoGen. You are taking an extremely large risk if you want it in the game.

My personal feeling is that it's not adding anything new to the game. Gender aside, the point of the Warframe is the theme, and if you are copying the theme, there's far more interesting ways to go about re-inventing it than just a gender change and a new set of abilities. Make a new frame with a different secondary theme, it will be more interesting and unique. But that's me! No one can tell you what you should pursue in your art. Do the thing you want to do and don't bother with opinions like this, man. People will always react the way they are in this thread in response to this question.

Anyway, even though I don't personally like the idea, I completely support you making them anyway. Do it.

I am pretty sure something will come out of this. And sure I am perfectly aware this is outside tennogen, and a speculatory concept.

But it can be fun, and I realize I have to write some Guidelines for myself and make stuff up, but that process is a part of this.

I think there's a distinction between this and the deluxe skins.  With the deluxe skins, I think there's more freedom to explore with regards to the aesthetic.  With these being gender counterparts, it would have to be able to stand alongside the existing ones.  I think the real challenge is not making it look like just an altered version of the default but a different looking frame altogether but can still be considered the opposite gender.  Since Mynki has had a hand on designing these frames so far, it will be tough to come up with a look that somehow belongs without getting him involved somewhat.  Even the helmets that I've seen come out of tennogen, still feel off to me design wise.

That is a fair point, but the deluxe skins are supposed to be very different and are made inhouse and are not a partnof tennogen.

A genderskin have to keep pretty close to the original in terms of recognizable features, else it is just another warframe.

The challenge lie in making it different enough but similar enough at the same time.

Take Ember here.

24cd6d36a86b990d9c0ba248cc647725-d9kfe04

I kept this pretty much as close to the original as I could because I felt the design works really well that way.

Could it be made more unique? Of course it can. And if that was the goal I would look for other sources for inspiration.

It depends on what you think. So you consider Nyx to be Excaliburs twin ans you are fine with that?

Or are you like me and want the warframes to stand apart, UNLESS they are gender-opposites?

Are Loki and Ivara gender-opposites?

Are Rhino and Valkyr gender-opposites?

I don't see it, but others might.

I find loki and mirage closer to my ideal opposites when it comes to gender.  Though it seems like Ivara is more stealth like, mirage to me is more of Loki's opposite because they're tricksters.  There's also enough of a difference in their design that they unique on their own and yet still feel somewhat in the same theme.  Some people consider Nezha as ember's opposite, but I don't see it that way.  Same goes for Valkyr and Rhino.  Excalibur and Nyx might have the same body, but they don't feel like gender opposites because of their themes.

See, that's my main problem. DE have said they want to do variations of a theme and not a direct reflection. That's fine, leave that to TennoGen.

But where is that apparent? Loki and Mirage can make clones, but invisibility vs discoball of lazerdeath is worlds apart.

Valkyr and Rhino can atleast buff their teams and have periods of protection, but one is close combat, the other ranger with charge and stomp.

Im not sure how much, if any, thought goes into a new warframe as a mirror of a preexisting one. I have certainy never heard or read any mention of that. Have any one?

ahm....i think you are giving a little over-importance to this...this concept of gender swap is only a skin for the frames...not change the lore, not change anything, is not a kind of crazy theories of frames look similar, clones or what ever...IS A SIMPLY GENDER SWAP

The operator changed warframes, that doesn't mean the gender of the operator changed along with it, and why would it? it's a puppet tethered to the operator via their power. All the frames were mass produced after their prime counterparts, so no it doesn't make much sense to me to try to justify a random gender change. A "male" ember alongside a "female" ember doesn't make sense because the original was built on a female user, meaning any and all copies of the original are just that: copies. These copies aren't physically attached to their users like the primes were supposed to be, so there is no need to tailor make these weapons to suit the gender. 

if lore implied that the operator were actually inside the suit, then by all means I'd think having a singular gender for a warframe would be strange. That doesn't seem to be the case though.  

The operator is actually unisex. You don't choose a gender, you choose facial features and a voice.

I have a theory that the warframes are not empty; they are inhabited by a person who serves as a conduit for the Tenno's powers, basically the "other half" of a Tenno, created by the Orokin using the technocyte virus as part of the transference project. If this is the case, there's no reason there can't be a male/female variant of every frame.

Nothing wrong with asking for help but no one here is helping.

Really? >> No one? Roughly half the posters are in favor, and many of the ones who aren't are still being practical and informative.

These are a good start, arch111, but to me the differences don't feel pronounced enough, except for the male Valkyr.

Edited by (PS4)BlitzKeir