Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

[Alt Helmet] Chroma - Kaiju (In the Game!)

Latest at the top:

tumblr_o2a4hmkFvM1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2a4hmkFvM1qdt0m6o7_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2ba3sjcPA1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2ba3sjcPA1qdt0m6o2_400.gif

KAIJU 

Now in the Steam Workshop!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619969541

RRRRRRUGGUGHGHUUGHHUHR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original starter post:

Spoiler

Sorry I know it's weird

tumblr_o1c2ir0vN61qdt0m6o2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1c2ir0vN61qdt0m6o1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1c2ir0vN61qdt0m6o3_r1_1280.jpg

sorry sorry

Edited by Syncrasis

Interesting, seems significantly too big, though.

Also, have you seen this frost helmet concept? http://josea302.devi...elmet-417961052

I recently contacted the artist who made it and he said he'd be happy if someone modeled his concept. Do you think you would be interested? I would buy this design in a heartbeat.

PM me for his email.

Edited by Jamescell

Good call on the size, just sized it down and it looks way better. also curved the horns back and that also looks better.

Sorry I don't do requests, I like designing them myself.

Edited by Syncrasis

Looks much better. Mind adding pictures with the frame as well/from the front?

Also, do you still plan to add more color schemes to your Lazarus submission?

No and yes!

tumblr_o1c4qbNExN1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Ok updating the OP with the new images too

Edited by Syncrasis

The side view looks pretty darn amazing. I think the front view could use a bit of work, though.

I suggest streamlining things abit more by having the horns bend back even more, adding a bit more facial detail/changes that give players something a bit more face-like to latch on to, and narrowing the width of the top of the head/pinching the horns closer together.

Or perhaps experiment with making the brow protrude even more.

Why does that chroma have a vagina on his head ? .....  seriously first thought.

I applaud your skill I could never do anything even close but  that was my first thought.

Edited by MagisD

You must have taken the wrong anatomy classes then.

I'm getting a serious Pacific Rim Kaiju vibe.

You know, I was a bit iffy on the design but if this one makes it I'm definitely buying it now.

---------

On a side note (Not directed at you, Syncrasis) I find it funny that on Chroma's reveal so much people kept whining he didn't have a generic western dragon helmet (even after the unfortunate switch) yet now that he's available for tennogen no one is making anything like that.

You must have taken the wrong anatomy classes then.

You know, I was a bit iffy on the design but if this one makes it I'm definitely buying it now.

---------

On a side note (Not directed at you, Syncrasis) I find it funny that on Chroma's reveal so much people kept whining he didn't have a generic western dragon helmet (even after the unfortunate switch) yet now that he's available for tennogen no one is making anything like that.

I'm getting a serious Pacific Rim Kaiju vibe.

Personally, I saw "western dragon" in the (current) default helm and wanted to take a more unique direction. I'm not fond of filling "expected" goals lol... honestly though I think the big reason for your main point there is how few people we have making helmets right now, and how many different frames are out there for it. Really thinned out! I WANT MOAR PLS

Yeah, trying to channel the "Kaiju" vibe with the shapes on this guy. I started with vents on the horn things, might go back in and re-add those.

This is pretty neato. I like the look, the idea. Reminds me of a

Battalyst

, and the symbols on the images make me think that was on purpose. Lookin forward to seeing it finished. =3

No Sentient influences intended, just using shapes off the dragon pelt itself. He's got some square-shaped rune things on the wing nubs, imitating that on the back fin part of the horns. The front shape on the horns is supposed to mimic the paddle-shaped metal pieces on the base Warframe armor.

The side view looks pretty darn amazing. I think the front view could use a bit of work, though.

I suggest streamlining things abit more by having the horns bend back even more, adding a bit more facial detail/changes that give players something a bit more face-like to latch on to, and narrowing the width of the top of the head/pinching the horns closer together.

Or perhaps experiment with making the brow protrude even more.

I'm purposely avoiding face patterns. They will probably happen on their own anyway (because human brain) so I'm not going to force it. I agree the front view needs some work, I'll try some of the things you've suggested. Really happy with the side view flow though, not gonna tweak those shapes much more from the side.

Trying to hold off on adding details until I have the main shapes defined like 100% for realsies real, unlike usual. Gotta stop making myself go back and redo parts that are over-detailed.

Thanks you guys, as always!

Edited by Syncrasis

I like the idea and its looking pretty good so far.  One thing is if you could do something with the handle like thing in the back.  It looks fine from the back, from the front it just looks too straight.

No Sentient influences intended, just using shapes off the dragon pelt itself. He's got some square-shaped rune things on the wing nubs, imitating that on the back fin part of the horns. The front shape on the horns is supposed to mimic the paddle-shaped metal pieces on the base Warframe armor.

Ah, neat. I know what you're talking about, and that makes more sense that what I had thought. (Of course, maybe DE's insinuating something? I kid, I kid.) Either way, I still dig this quite a bit. Keep kicking &#!~

Been skimming this thread, gotta say, it's a really different take, I really agree it kinda comes off as Sentient, but still unique.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees this.

Yeah, trying to channel the "Kaiju" vibe with the shapes on this guy. I started with vents on the horn things, might go back in and re-add those.

Oh do tell, y' know as long as they don't get too much in the way of the shape that might actually be a great idea. Adding the back horns too might be good.

Wish the helmet was a teensy bit longer for a more... animal-like appereance (similar to the two current helms), but that's really just a personal preference. The design you have here is still pretty great and impressive, particularly because it's different from the other designs so far.

Oh actually there is one thing that I invite you to review a little, it might just be me but I think the little 'bar' between the crests kinda gets in the way, not to dump on whatever effort it costed to make it, I just think the crests would look much better without it.

Edited by RahuHordika

I like the idea and its looking pretty good so far.  One thing is if you could do something with the handle like thing in the back.  It looks fine from the back, from the front it just looks too straight.

Oh do tell, y' know as long as they don't get too much in the way of the shape that might actually be a great idea. Adding the back horns too might be good.

Wish the helmet was a teensy bit longer for a more... animal-like appereance (similar to the two current helms), but that's really just a personal preference. The design you have here is still pretty great and impressive, particularly because it's different from the other designs so far.

Oh actually there is one thing that I invite you to review a little, it might just be me but I think the little 'bar' between the crests kinda gets in the way, not to dump on whatever effort it costed to make it, I just think the crests would look much better without it.

I REALLY want to make that bar work, even if I have to redo the whole thing. Which I suppose I did tonight.

tumblr_o1ngdsTWte1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1ngdsTWte1qdt0m6o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1ngdsTWte1qdt0m6o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1ngdsTWte1qdt0m6o4_1280.jpg

This is still a low poly sculpt, haven't added any refined details, etc.

While I was working I realized it was missing some weird space monster mandibles so I added those in. I'm not sure if this looks too literal-dragon now tho, will keep messing around but I'm a lot happier with this new direction. The front view looks sooo much nicer...

Also note: eye-slits will become a lot more subtle as I work. They stand out so hardcore right now because I have a really high ambient occlusion setting on in Marmoset and it's shading the wrinkles in.

Edited by Syncrasis