Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Alt Helmet] Chroma - Kaiju (In the Game!)

Syncrasis

Personally I really liked the loop, very especially from the back, but I am willing to sacrifice it if there's a better solution.

Option #1

chromaWIP32_zps88yk1r0z.jpg

Two prong-shaped items bracketed onto the metal portion of the loop with shapes that mimic the helmet spine. The pieces in the image are quick sketches, they'd match the visual language in the spine a lot more.

Option #2

chromaWIP33_zpsvdf9kv3y.jpg

The metal piece is removed and the plume shapes are straightened out and lengthened. Possibly flexible like a magical girl kaiju

Option #3

chromaWIP31_zpszw2f4yhx.jpg

chromaWIP30_zpswsejy5zl.jpg

The plumes are curved around, mimicking the shape both on the nose area and on the knees (they have a strand of connective something or other there that sticks out in loops) and plants itself on the back of the head, in that really smooth area. 

Which looks the best? I'm leaning on #3 myself. I'll probably start working on it in another file just to make sure I get this wrapped up ASAP. Comments very appreciated!

What program do u use to do this?

Zbrush for the high poly sculpting (all the black and white images with shadows are from Zbrush), I test a lot in Marmoset Toolbag 2 (color images with lighting but no cast shadows) and some of the images are from the TennoGen viewer. I also use Maya for my low poly work, including unwrapping UVs and making cages. I use Topogun to make my low poly model, xNormal to bake my ambient occlusion and normal maps, and Knald for curvature maps. 

Photoshop with the SuperPNG plugin for textures/tintmasks.

ozFSE8y.png

Ignore the lines I drew on the side of the face from the front view. They are meant to be the whisker-loops I drew on the side view in black, but they would stick closer to the face. The loop-whiskers would give the helmet something close to asian-dragon whiskers while at the same time adding more loopy elements to the design.

Edited by Jamescell

2 or 3 are both good but in any case here's my feeback on them:

-I like the way 2's plumes straighten out and make it seem like they're antennae/feelers, which seems very beneficial to the namesake.

-3's loops are good in that it closes in on the shape and, while hollow, it seems to continue and complete the shape of the crest.

Truth is I am torn between these two so I'm only leaving my feeback to leave the choice at your discretion.

I was working on 3 for most of yesterday, but I just wasn't feeling all that confident with the changes. Decided to stick with the loop but made some other tweaks, especially adding more detail in the blank areas, etc. Sorry to disappoint. Will be finished tonight.

I really gotta hand it to you, Kaz

The final design turned out astoundingly better than the second-to-last version just with the subtle changes you made. I was under the impression that the design needed bigger changes, but you've proved me wrong.

The loop finally seems to fit with the rest of the design, the face has really come together, the back/top of the head fits Chroma's style and the rest of the details much more now, and I really enjoy the Asian-dragon style whiskers that you extended.

Edited by Jamescell

I really gotta hand it to you, Kaz

The final design turned out astoundingly better than the second-to-last version just with the subtle changes you made. I was under the impression that the design needed bigger changes, but you've proved me wrong.

The loop finally seems to fit with the rest of the design, the face has really come together, the back/top of the head fits Chroma's style and the rest of the details much more now, and I really enjoy the Asian-dragon style whiskers that you extended.

Lol I loved the whiskers idea, couldn't resist! Thanks again for all your thoughtful suggestions!

Latest at the top:

tumblr_o2a4hmkFvM1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2a4hmkFvM1qdt0m6o7_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2ba3sjcPA1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2ba3sjcPA1qdt0m6o2_400.gif

KAIJU 

Now in the Steam Workshop!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619969541

RRRRRRUGGUGHGHUUGHHUHR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original starter post:

Sorry I know it's weird

tumblr_o1c2ir0vN61qdt0m6o2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1c2ir0vN61qdt0m6o1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1c2ir0vN61qdt0m6o3_r1_1280.jpg

sorry sorry

To fight the monsters, we created monsters.

• 2 weeks later...