Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Baro Good-Bye? A Community Casting Stones.

Sirabot

This more of an open letter of my personal experiences and feelings than it is candidate for a mega thread merger but I leave that to the discretion of the moderators.

I am a Master Founder, I would have been Grand Master had bills not have came first. I've played on record over 3000 hours of mission time. That's around 125 days of just mission time. Much more time was spent in menus and customization. I've given Digital Extremes around $2000 Between my account, my wife's and friends. I love the livestreams, I love DE Steve, Scott, Rebecca, Geoff, Drew, "Sheldon", All of your staff is amazing and I wish I had the skill set to work with you guys. In Short: I love Warframe.

I was away from the game for almost a year. All games, not just Warframe. I managed to struggle through The Witcher 3 over the course of 2 months, on the couch, trusty puke bucket by my side. I was having some rather severe medical problems. I didn't have the energy to sit in a computer chair. I was very pleased to finally return to Warframe after a year to see all the changes but then I realized how much I missed. So much mastery rank, so much playable content locked behind time gates. Weapons, mods, and cosmetic items that would have brought me many more hours of enjoyment, experimentation and satisfaction of some form or another were locked away from me. Enter Baro the void trader.

It seems I re-arrived at a bad time? Baro seems to be universally hated by most of the vocal community but I couldn't understand it. From my perspective he was going to be my saving grace. Prime cosmetic armor i had missed? Baro, Primed Mods? Baro? Prisma weapons and other skins and such things? Baro. My problems would eventually solve themselves I thought. Apparently that's not the case now?

I just watched Livestream 67 and now I'm under the impression that DE intends to axe The Void Trader due to the feature's negative reception by community. And now I see on the official forums and other media outlets (reddit) that the community is casting stones at each other. Visceral and terrible insults and just pure rage, Some cheering The Void Trader's demise while others that were either content or enthusiastic about the feature are enraged at the thought. Lots of passion in this community, the reason? Because DE have allowed us to be so close to the development of this game. Many of us are personally invested and care a great deal. It hurts to see this kind of backlash directed toward the Developers because I realize they're just people, people working together with their community to try and please everyone. An impossible task if there ever was one. Sounds like I'm being a White knight doesn't it? Is there any shame in that really even if it were the truth? Where is the shame in defending something you care about?

It seems I will not get to experience the joy and reward of waiting for Baro's weekly visit and being rewarded by new and interesting things but I'm not angry, I'm not blaming the vocal and angry side of the community, and I'm not blaming the calm and patient side either. Most importantly, I will never blame DE because essentially. They're just listening and reacting. They're not just listening to one person however, they're listening to the entire community including themselves. So to the people that were indifferent to Baro or actually enjoyed him as a feature; I'm asking you to speak up.

To DE, please take your time with Umbra system and all things. Don't be bullied by the impatient or the "entitled". And Maybe consider a different solution for Baro that doesn't punish the other half (1/3) of the community. I can offer no insight on how/if you should or could do that because I'm not a game developer. I just hope you'll consider it rather than being pressured by your most vocal fans. I wish you guys at DE a wonderful year, and good luck fixing the clipping issues. You're going to need it.

TLDR: Sorry, I took the time to write it.

Edited by Sirabot

So, first of all he's never re-released Prime Armor that was part of any Prime Access, So you've completely missed out on that. What he has sold were gold painted reskins of a few Armor sets. Baro's inventory just started off as too good. Primed Flow, Prime Continuity, Those pushed bounderies. People would love to have Baro bring back any of the Prisma weapons, any of the cosmetics, any of the mods. But he hasn't. he just is bringing us Bane Mods, that are not bad, but either don't fit into people's builds or people are too lazy to rank up and use them. And a Orokin Catalyst.

I feel the Catalyst is the straw that broke the camel's back, honestly. 700 ducats for a 20p item. With most prime parts giving only 10-30 Ducats, You're looking at dumping a ton of Prime parts into him. If you want a Catalyst. Sell the prime parts on the trade chat. You could easily get at least 20p for the truckload of prime parts you would spend buying a Catalyst from Baro.

The boosters are largely fine, especially if they were just a new permanent addition to his stock.

In conclusion, I don't think what people really want are new and interesting things, sure they'd like them, but they want good things that they'll use, at reasonable prices.

I think they are going to get rid of Baro not because of the comunity, but because they plan on destroying the Void. I don't mean completely destroy they mentioned keys will stay so that means we will be able to access the Void somehow. Since Baro gets all of his stuff from the void if he can't get to the Void he can't sell anything.

The void trader is kind of in an odd place. At first he was expected to take our "useless" prime parts and trade them in for something we want, something we've been trying to get but haven't been lucky enough to get yet. When he released this was the exact opposite of what we expected. He takes our prime parts and trades it in for other (sometimes not so) unique items. Essentially increasing the grind whenever a new prime enters the void. This is because people need lots of ducats for his items, but at the same time want the new prime items. So far this is one of the smaller issues which most players don't really seem to have trouble with due to bad RNG and an excess of these useless prime parts.

So... what are the main issues then?

First of all: the void trader brings new (reskinned) weapons which are new for everyone. Nothing bad here.

Second: he brings cosmetics only available from him. once again nothing bad here.

Third: he brings older event/tactical alert mods back which are very difficult to obtain. Some people tend to find this unfair since now people don't have to do said event for it and can get this very good mod effortless. Personally I don't mind it much but then again I have all of the event mods already as far as I know so I guess my vote doesn't count on this one.

Last but not least the primed mods... Baro sells us the highest rarity mods there are, requiring the most insane amounts of fusion cores to max, not to mention most of them are really, really bad. the problem lies in the primed mods requiring ~520 R5 fusion cores to max them. This is no easy task, even for veteran players. On top of that he brings us these primed mods which are in 99% of the cases worse than any other mod we already have on our weapons / frames. Examples are Primed ammo mods that increase magazine capacity, reload speed mods and some others. While having these maxed would make a difference, 90% of the players know that these mods are overshadowed by many other mods like elemental damage and crits and such. Depending on the weapon of course. The limited usability of these mods + the insane amount of cores required makes them "useless" in a way.

Combine this with the 2 week waiting time and the fact that baro brings us only 3-4 items each time including returning items... well let's just say that veteran-ish players aren't too happy with everything. I can't say I hate him but I can say he disappoints me... very often. This one time he even brought old event weapons back and I was just sitting here thinking... wasn't baro meant to give players who already have most things something new? Because that's sort of his design. players that have been in the void for long probably have almost all primed items and therefore are active players who have most event weapons since they've been playing. It renders half of his stuff useless to many.

Now baro does have some good points about him. You have something to look forward too every 2 weeks, hoping it's something good. To be fair he has given us some good items like primed continuity, flow, heated charge and some other mods just to name a few. Don't forget all the cosmetics and prisma weapons too. Though his downsides are more apparent than his upsides. The fact that he usually only brings 1 (sometimes 2) new items is just killing the hype for his arrival. On top of that most things he brings are either already owned by many or not useful enough considering the time and effort required to level the mods.

All in all Baro is a mess right now and DE should decide what kind of players he should be based on. The "veteran" players who have most of the gear in the game or the "mid-range" players who don't and may have missed events and such. because right now he's trying to be both and it doesn't seem to please many of us.

I think they are going to get rid of Baro not because of the comunity, but because they plan on destroying the Void. I don't mean completely destroy they mentioned keys will stay so that means we will be able to access the Void somehow. Since Baro gets all of his stuff from the void if he can't get to the Void he can't sell anything.

That would make very good sense, but I'm not sure the lore connection of where Baro gets his wears would be enough to remove the feature. I honestly believe that It's because he's generating too much negative feedback. And DE are just tired of hearing it. Can't say I blame them, some of the insults flying around are pretty personal and toxic. This attitude spreads too, it's unhealthy for the community just as it is for the Developers.

I've gotten some good things from Baro, so I have nothing to complain about. It's not reasonable to expect Baro to bring something equally amazing to all every visit. I'm glad he doesn't frankly, I don't want to feel pressured to farm the void, especially now that we have a more enjoyable daily sortie to do.

I hope Baro doesn't go away, just because his character adds a little depth and color to the Warframe universe. I do think it would be a good idea to increase Baro's inventory each visit so that a player doesn't have to wait so long to get that primed flow mod they really want.

Snip

Although, I've always liked Baro, he hasn't always had something I wanted. I agree with this thread and think that most people are just disappointed. Spending far too much time in relays, I notice the attitude is often displeasure with a bit of satisfaction or rage mixed in.

I think Baro would do well to set up a shop in Maroos Bazaar as a ducat trader for players to get alt cosmetics, primed mods(like he does now), as well as prime part exchange. The key being to keep a larger inventory and be around more(if not permanently). But that's just a first thought...

I like Baro as a character, so I look forward to seeing how he fits into WFs future.

Edit: spleling mistaks

Edited by AutoPhox

Baro exemplifies the worst of the community and the problem that is warframe: people want him to bring only stuff that will make it easier for them to go another 5 minutes into an endless survival before things take too much effort.  The irony here is if he gives them these things, eventually they'll have everything they feel they need and all he has left is "junk."  I missed a few primed mods I would have appreciated, none of them power mods.

Basically, Baro is evidence this community is actually pretty bad because DE keeps encouraging elitist, carrot chasing "efficiency and power over anything else" thought processes and is only seen as "good" because it's not a PvP game where factional balance and other head-butting topics related to PvP aren't constantly brought into question.  But you know, spend 5 minutes browsing the forums and you'll still see threads about weapon balance, CC spam, enemy "cheapness" etc and people are still screaming in each other's faces.  Makes it hard to determine if players are the problem or DE's decision makers are the problem with Warframe.  

Whatever they do to Baro, it won't change anything.  Giving him better goods will still inevitably end up with him selling "junk" when everyone's gotten all the "good" stuff from him.  The issue still and always will lie with the mod system, which is still false choice to most people.  Might as well just prime all mods that aren't already ten ranks and call it a day.  At least then I might be able to make the Lato MKII out of the Magnus, Lex Prime, or Vasto Prime.

Edited by Littleman88

Baro exemplifies the worst of the community and the problem that is warframe: people want him to bring only stuff that will make it easier for them to go another 5 minutes into an endless survival before things take too much effort.  The irony here is if he gives them these things, eventually they'll have everything they feel they need and all he has left is "junk."  I missed a few primed mods I would have appreciated, none of them power mods.

Basically, Baro is evidence this community is actually pretty bad because DE keeps encouraging elitist, carrot chasing "efficiency and power over anything else" thought processes and is only seen as "good" because it's not a PvP game where factional balance and other head-butting topics related to PvP aren't constantly brought into question.  But you know, spend 5 minutes browsing the forums and you'll still see threads about weapon balance, CC spam, enemy "cheapness" etc and people are still screaming in each other's faces.  Makes it hard to determine if players are the problem or DE's decision makers are the problem with Warframe.  

Whatever they do to Baro, it won't change anything.  Giving him better goods will still inevitably end up with him selling "junk" when everyone's gotten all the "good" stuff from him.  The issue still and always will lie with the mod system, which is still false choice to most people.  Might as well just prime all mods that aren't already ten ranks and call it a day.  At least then I might be able to make the Lato MKII out of the Magnus, Lex Prime, or Vasto Prime.

And here I am being mostly excited for the cosmetic things he offered. lol... However, I see your points, Don't agree with everything you said but I understand where you're coming from.

I feel like if they get rid of baro its not really solving the problem that the community is having. I personally don't think any of his stuff has been super disappointing to the degree that people make it out to be but what i find disappointing is the pricing of items that he has been putting out lately. For instance a blue potato costs 20 platinum on the warframe marketplace but from baro it will cost a hefty 700 ducats. Depending on what blueprints you use to get those ducats it can cost roughly 30-70 primed parts/blueprints. Unfortunately people getting into the game dont realize that they can sell most of that stuff on trade chat for about 1p no matter what the part is, usually can get more.

This means if you decide to buy that item from baro you are usually losing out on either potential plat on those extra parts or even extra blue potatoes. Unfortunately this ties into the new player-returning player experience that Warframe struggles with, because new and returning players will see this void trader and trust that they are getting a good deal out of it. Later on when they find out they dumped an unnecessary amount of resources into it it could turn them off the game. That being said i don't think they are bad items and the community on a whole should grow up and stop getting expected to be fed the best stuff all the time.

And here I am being mostly excited for the cosmetic things he offered. lol... However, I see your points, Don't agree with everything you said but I understand where you're coming from.

Yeah, I'm mostly happy with "fun" primed mods like primed fast hands.  Things that let me change a weapon into something it's not, because most standard utility mods ARE underwhelming, everything being based on percentiles.  With around 90-100% larger magazines and around 50% faster reload speeds for secondaries, I can turn a few handguns into the next Lato.  One of them needs about 100% more fire rate to accomplish that task.  Or you know, alternatively primed elemental mods would allow me to take the Lato into anything I actually care to run (high level non-endless) and not have to triple mag dump to kill anything.

Sadly, most people want him to bring the next best-in-slot weapon and primed mods for min-maxing their power spam and damage output like that will actually improve their game play in the long run (it won't,) and DE removing him is just them making yet another decision without even considering the consequences.  The only way to turn this around is if Baro is now a constant fixture, or Darvo takes his place as One to constantly sell ducat items.

Edited by Littleman88

I think pricing is one of peoples biggest concerns right now. It seems like the dukat prices are going up. Also 700 for a potato indicates that DE is not watching the trade market at all which is a bit concerning. IMO he should bring one new item, a rare part drop from the void, a rare mod drop and something that is more universally useful like the boosters, a core pack or a key pack.

I have no hard feelings at all towards Baro Ki'teer and I really like him as well. He's a great addition to the game.

However the items he has been showing lately just don't make any sense. When he just arrived he was totally awesome. He had cool things and each time he arrived was a joy. Prices were also reasonable for that matter.

However, recently there have only been repeats and controversial mods. This week was especially bad. Besides the name of the Grineer, which may be good depending on your point of view, theven rest was just a laugh.

I really would think it to be sad to see Baro go. (As he also owes me a machete wraith I couldn't get as I was on holiday when he showed up with that) Instead of getting rid of Baro, get rid of the guy who approved of this week's selection and bring some good stuff like the early days. Stuff for which we will gladly offer our prime parts and stuff for reasonable prices. Lets just take a look back at how it was and continue the way it was back them

While I agree with what you said (I personally like Baro if for no other reason than it doesn't negatively affect me if he brings something I don't want), I'm not entirely sure if Baro is even being removed at all.

I interpreted it more of as a joke because they know how the community feels about him. It came across more of as "some players are out to get him" or "players want his head" to me. I might go listen to that part again when I can.

Edited by Vyrnaazus

While I agree with what you said (I personally like Baro if for no other reason than it doesn't negatively affect me if he buys something I don't want), I'm not entirely sure if Baro is even being removed at all.

I interpreted it more of as a joke because they know how the community feels about him. It came across more of as "some players are out to get him" or "players want his head" to me. I might go listen to that part again when I can.

They did imply strongly in a very passive aggressive manner that they were about to just remove him from the game. But it feels like a punishment not all of us deserve. That's what I took from it. I honestly wish I had some clarification from DE staff on the subject. Now I'm questioning if that was just an assumption on my part. It certainly didn't feel like one at the time I watched the stream.

Edited by Sirabot

Baro hasn't been utilized properly and unfortunately they primed at least one mod (maybe more, just singling one out at this moment) that doesn't make sense. Prime point blank, for example. Point blank should have been buffed so shotguns have their serration. Instead, anyone who likes shotguns and comes in late to the game has to hang out in trade chat and deal with whatever prices the market dictates

People wouldn't be complaining like this if mods that lead to people having fun were released. You don't have to release something OP but if you prime something that makes some weapon that no one thought twice about fun to play with, then you've done your job. Instead, bane mods which few people have use for were introduced that are rather dull and increase the grind (We're going to have to expect others to come for other weapons as well now)

My only problem with the boosters and such is the prices and just how it seemed like they had no idea what else to throw up there so, that's it. If boosters and so on were included each visit with a price change, I wouldn't mind them. It looked more like "oops, did someone forget to made another prime mod/cosmetic/weapon? Just throw those up there.

Maybe someone coming in as often as he does with new content is just too much for them? 

Would be logical, if the void will disappear where would get the stuff from ? He will probably die with it

I'm still not sure how I feel about him. I was away from the game from a few months before he was introduced up until to when he brought back Primed Flow last time. I was fairly excited when reading about him initially and seeing all the cool things he has brought in the past. Next time he showed up with Primed Point Blank, that was pretty cool!

Then after that he started bringing us Primed Banes... Objectively good mods sure, but I'm not a big fan tbh. Imho, they are exactly the same type of boring damage multipliers as the base damage mods, but you just have to rank up one per faction. I'm sorry, but with the only mechanic being "works against a specific faction", these are not interesting optional mods to me. As someone who hasn't played this game for the entirety of it's lifespan, I really don't feel like ranking up 12 legendary mods that essentially do the same thing (assuming they bring these out for each weapon type). Thankfully, they aren't really necessary for the vast majority of content in the game right now. Unfortunately, they are going to be much better choices after damage 3.0 rolls in...

With the latest rotation the thing that made me scratch my head was the catalyst pricing. It's a more readily available item compared to the boosters, it's cheaper on their own market, but it's a lot more valuable in the in-game currency why exactly? Then when you consider the player driven economy and what you could get out of 700 ducats worth of prime parts, it gets even worse.

All in all, I think the main issue is Baro only showing up every two weeks. He has brought a lot of really cool, useful and good items in the past and it's really easy to be disappointed when he shows up with nothing useful to you. And people on the internet have never been afraid to strongly show their dissatisfaction, unfortunately.

For me personally, I think I would have been a lot happier with him so far, if he had more consistently brought back items from old rotations.

But that's just my two cents on that little bast... Baro Ki'Teer.

He definitely needs work.  His detractors also need to be taken with a grain of salt, as not everything he brings needs to be extremely high functioning.  In my opinion:

1.  Duplicates are important and integral.  Exclusives have a high "value" factor, but this is really quite damaging to the game in the context of many of the Baro items.  He has the potential to bring real event mods that some may have missed or not even started in time to see, such as the actual, functioning slash and puncture mods for various weapons.  People that have this stuff may be disappointed.  Greedy milk that wants to make fifty dollars worth of platinum off of their exclusive sale of said items will complain.  The community in general will benefit from the diversity and lower prices.  He hasn't offered nearly enough of this stuff lately.

2.  I really think boosters and potatoes are great.  I really think the price point they where put at shows a complete disconnect between DE and the trading aspect of their game.  Prime parts are valued far higher than the prices given suggest.  This doesn't mean Baro should go away, and it doesn't mean boosters and catalysts available for in-game items are a bad idea.  It means that the trade system, usability, and general item availability therein needs an honest look.  Heck, I don't even use the trade system, and I don't have have dozens of catalysts sitting around, and I DO have thousands of ducats worth of prime parts, but I can't bring myself to burn off what would amount to hundreds of plat worth of inventory to buy something worth only twenty.  Even with my reluctance to engage in trade, it's still too high a price.

3.  He doesn't come often enough relative to the randomness and lack of variety he brings.  People gave some newer folks some very real grief on this forum a month or so ago when they lamented their inability to obtain things like Primed Point Blank(arguably a shotgun fix that puts them in line with other weapons more than a perk) in a reasonable manner.  They where told to wait, be patient, blah, blah.  When the Baro items are unlocking whole new aspects of build and play due to their substantial power increase offered, these things need to have some level of reliability in their presence.

In my opinion, I don't think he should go away.  I think he should be made a permanent fixture with his entire inventory available, with the option to take away or add to it put out there in regards to things like cosmetics and the like.  It would make the prime mods that he is the sole seller of available to all, at the price of many void runs.  It would offer the clear and obvious weapon upgrades so that, for example, a player wishing to forma their Grakata can clearly see that perhaps they should earn the Prisma Grakata and do that instead.  "Tricking" players who have forma'd the former into redoing it all for the latter is bad for customer retention, and in the long run loses potential revenue from that player versus the short term gain of having them using ten forma.

If he where available all the time like this, players could set goals and play to obtain specific things that they want.  Prices for these items could remain much more reasonable(there would still no doubt be plat made by selling leveled prime mods though, for example so all is not lost to traders).  And when a person already has it all, boosters and catalysts and the like would be available for the truly end game guy that still has three dozen Ankyros Gauntlets for some reason.

Basically, two problems. One, a portion of the forum's participants are extremely toxic. That's it's own issue, but it edges in on pretty much any other issue that gathers significant attention. Issue X happens, Player A makes a post about it, Player B says something nasty to Player A, and suddenly Issue X isn't the central point of discussion—it's all about who insulted who and what insult you're going to throw back at them.

Anyway, the issue with Baro himself is that he started out offering stuff that was really worthwhile, and now he usually offers stuff that is not very worthwhile at all. A new cosmetic (even something that's 'just' a reskin), that's worth plunking down ducats for. A primed version of a 'required' mod? Definitely worth your ducats. A potato that many players already have a stockpile of? Not so much. A primed bane mod? Ehhhhhhh.

Anyway, the issue with Baro himself is that he started out offering stuff that was really worthwhile, and now he usually offers stuff that is not very worthwhile at all. A new cosmetic (even something that's 'just' a reskin), that's worth plunking down ducats for. A primed version of a 'required' mod? Definitely worth your ducats. A potato that many players already have a stockpile of? Not so much. A primed bane mod? Ehhhhhhh.

Yeah, but there's another problem and that the amount of farming required to get most of those mods. The average price, which is around 300-400 ducats, roughly equals 20-30 parts (depending on their worth), which is quite a bit of farming, which includes getting keys for high Void missions, doing those Void missions, a getting actual parts that worth ducats vs Orokin Cells or Forma BP.

I've been playing this game for quite some time (more than 1,5 years now), and my prime part supplies run quite low at the moment. I don't want to spend ALL my time I have to play the game farming ducats either, and his very rare item rotation make me want to get the good stuff as soon as I see it, because you never know when you'll see it next time. So his current pace of decent mods is actually not THAT bad IMO. Alternatively his Ducat prices should drop by a bit, but that would require for some adjusting for older mod prices, so I don't think that's going to happen.

Ehh, I personally tend to enjoy Baro's offerings (but, y'know, I still poke fun at him sometimes because he's snobby when I rock up to the relay with my dapper Limbo). Gonna dump my own two cents here regarding the scorn he's recently received on console. I'm going to apologize in advance for this textwall.

Frankly, even the 'jank' Primed mods that people seem eager to complain about allow me to make some pretty ridiculous builds. Not endgame uber-tier builds, but hilarious, mid-tier builds that end up making someone snort down the mic while I'm running a mission with them. Primed Reach made whips and machete weapons fun for me again, and I'm eagerly awaiting the day I get Primed Fury from the login system so that my Prova Vandal can smack slightly-distant Grineer butts at the highest possible velocity while I play some unfitting music.

Primed Pistol Mutation, which people on console are currently grumbling about and pointing pitchforks at the Trader over, has recently made my fast-dakka Twin Grakata more viable in long survival missions because the ammo isn't completely depleted after a mere minute of unloading into massive hordes of FastMolecular'd enemies. I enjoy being able to actually use the thing without having to scour half the tileset looking for half a clip's worth of ammunition and the barely-noticeable damage decrease hasn't killed the build at all. Seems like a fair trade-off.

I'm probably going to find its Rifle counterpart handy too when I'm finished Forma-ing my Prisma Grakata for the same kind of bulletspew. I don't think I'll ever understand all the grumbling about Primed Mods that aren't considered on-par with Flow and Continuity. Everything either has a use or will have a use in future imo, and others aren't exactly being forced at gunpoint to sink Ducats in if they don't see any potential benefit.

I can, however, see why people would salt over a 700 Ducat potato. I both laughed and cried when I saw that and I'll be gritting my teeth when Baro rocks up to console relays with it in a month or two. But I'm not going to scream for Baro to be removed outright over a few bad eggs or repeated inventories. Because the occasional cosmetics, Prisma items, repeat Event mods and the supposedly 'bad' Primed mods he brings with him still greatly outweigh the "grossly overpriced potato" incidents.

My only legitimate complaint would be his creeping Ducat prices, tbh.

EDIT: I fuddled my mutations, bleh. But my point still stands. People moan about S#&$ which is actually pretty beneficial.

Edited by (PS4)Fury-Gagarin