Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Error 10054 And Other Chat Fun

[DE]Glen

An update: whatever you did this week fixed it, chat now works flawlessly.

Sadly I can't say the same. :/

Still 10054.

That's it, after waiting months for the chat to work you throw it on Vonage to figure out how to make it work with your game?

I'm assuming he doesn't really know more than your tech support would about this specific problem?

I understand you're frustrated, but he's doing his best to fix it.

How about we try some google-fu to see problems with IRC caused by Vonage units?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27599010-Vonage-and-IRC

Someone suggested a configuration like this for fixing similar problems...

VonageConnection.png

Edited by Sherbniz

Fiia, on 13 Jun 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

That's it, after waiting months for the chat to work you throw it on Vonage to figure out how to make it work with your game?

You said it worked just fine when you removed the Vonage box implying clearly that it's interfering. It's not really practical for me to diagnose this for you because I don't have a Vonage phone. It's one thing for use to buy crappy old malfunctioning routers to try to find workarounds but it's too much to expect that I change my phone provider just so that I can try to fix something in their hardware.

You said it worked just fine when you removed the Vonage box implying clearly that it's interfering. It's not really practical for me to diagnose this for you because I don't have a Vonage phone. It's one thing for use to buy crappy old malfunctioning routers to try to find workarounds but it's too much to expect that I change my phone provider just so that I can try to fix something in their hardware.

I never asked you to change providers. What I did post was the Vonage configuration site for Vonage boxes in hopes you could look at it and tell me what to try to get it to work.

I have no idea what numbers or protocols to try but I honestly figured you might.

Edited by Fiia

I never asked you to change providers. What I did post was the Vonage configuration site for Vonage boxes in hopes you could look at it and tell me what to try to get it to work.

I don't think DE_Glen can access this site on your Vonage Box remotely, it's most likely a hosts-file association that the modem install-disc made on your PC to make it easier to access the modem configuration.

It's not a real site, it's just a fake connection "hacked in" that connects this adress with the vonage box ip adress for your network.

I have no idea what numbers or protocols to try but I honestly figured you might.

Try the thing I suggested and change the way your devices are conntected, maybe that helps!

Not sure when I'll have time to try this, hopefully tonight or in the next 2 days.

I've just bought a new router. I'm going to try a little hacking with my modem's superuser access to disable all the NAT and firewall functions. I'm going to get it as close to being a dumb modem as I can and make an ad-hoc bridging mode to try and bypass anything the gateway does and use the new router instead.

I'm guessing whatever the modem/gateway/router does that screws up this connection will still be there but at least we'll have some nice 802.11ac wifi from the new router :p

Wish me luck.

@ Sherbniz, Thank you for your posts and help. I do not have a router at all. My system simply runs from my cable modem to the Vonage box, to the PC. There is very little to it actually.

Regarding the v-configure site for Vonage boxes. I believe it is a general site the best I can tell, and you do not have to be logged in to Vonage to get to it.

It shows basic and advanced control of Vonage boxes.

Maybe, it is only for Vonage customers, but I do not have to be logged in to use it.

I figured DE_Glen could look at it and know better than myself what protocols or numbers would need to be tweaked to get it to work.

I honestly cannot see myself keep playing WF without the chat working.

I have played so many public groups where people stand looking at me, and I figure they are typing to me, but I cannot see it. I must come off as a jerk that just won't talk in game, which is not the case; I want to talk in game.

This is the first game ever where the chat system has not worked. I honestly do not see it unreasonable to think DE would help fix a chat that does not work as well as any other I have used, currently or in the past.

Edited by Fiia

@ Sherbniz, Thank you for your posts and help. I do not have a router at all. My system simply runs from my cable modem to the Vonage box, to the PC. There is very little to it actually.

So it's:

MODEM --> VONAGE BOX --> PC ?

(Devices are connected serial on the Modem)

or

MODEM --> VONAGE BOX

..............\-> PC

(Devices are connected parallel to the Modem)

?

Because you should try attaching them parallel, like in the second example, if it's not already like that!

Regarding the v-configure site for Vonage boxes. I believe it is a general site the best I can tell, and you do not have to be logged in to Vonage to get to it.

It shows basic and advanced control of Vonage boxes.

Maybe, it is only for Vonage customers, but I do not have to be logged in to use it.

This site you're seeing is on your Vonage box. It has a small webserver, it's not on the internet available to anyone.

https://support.vonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/757/~/vonage-v-portal-web-user-interface#IntroductionWebUI

From a PC connected directly to the Ethernet port of the V-Portal, open a Web browser, such as Microsoft'­s Internet Explorer, and type 192.168.15.1 or V-Configure.com in the Address bar. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

NOTE: If you are having trouble accessing the Web UI using V-Configure.com, please try entering 192.168.15.1 in the address bar of your browser.

192.168.15.1 is a LOCAL adress, inside your LAN network. v-configure.com will connect you to your LAN adress, because the install disc "hacked" your computer to do so.

I figured DE_Glen could look at it and know better than myself what protocols or numbers would need to be tweaked to get it to work.

I'm sure he does his best to fix these problems, but if your chat works as long as the box is removed, at least something works for you... for others like me, I can pretty much only go and play on another connection if I want to see the chat... But please try what I suggested earlier, with changing how your devices are plugged into each other!

I honestly cannot see myself keep playing WF without the chat working.

I have played so many public groups where people stand looking at me, and I figure they are typing to me, but I cannot see it. I must come off as a jerk that just won't talk in game, which is not the case; I want to talk in game.

I hear you, I feel the same way. I constantly think I come off as a grade-A jerk for not answering people on chat... the only way to rectify atm was to friend every single person I wanted to talk to on Steam...

But they're doing his best to rectify it, so don't worry. I'm sure they'll fix it up soon. :)

This is the first game ever where the chat system has not worked. I honestly do not see it unreasonable to think DE would help fix a chat that does not work as well as any other I have used, currently or in the past.

Honestly, this is the first time this ever happened to me either.

Sherbniz, thank you again. I am not sure how to hook things up other than simply plugging them into one another.

It is like, MODEM -- VONAGE BOX -- PC I believe.

But I am not sure how to make it like this.

MODEM -- VONAGE BOX

..............\- PC

How do I tell if they are parallel or not?

Edited by Fiia

Sherbniz, thank you again. I am not sure how to hook things up other than simply plugging them into one another.

That's fine, for what I suggested you won't need to know anything else anyways, I am just suggesting you plug them in a different order! :D

It is like, MODEM -- VONAGE BOX -- PC I believe.

So your PC has a LAN cable that connects to this vonage box, and out of the vonage box comes another LAN cable which is plugged into your modem?

(So they are plugged into each other in a row, like a conga-line)

But I am not sure how to make it like this.

MODEM -- VONAGE BOX

..............\- PC

How do I tell if they are parallel or not?

With parallel I mean doing it like this:

Plugging the PC into the Modem, and then plugging the Vonage Box into the Modem as well seperatly.

That way they are connected in parallel, each with the modem instead of the PC having to run through the Vonage box.

For that your modem needs more than one LAN port, though!

Nowadays lots of modems do have that, though!

Sherbniz, well, my modem and the Vonage box each only have one LAN port.

On the plus side my computer has 2!

I am stuck at this stage. It would be rather hard to believe I am the only Vonage customer that plays WF.

Even if DE_Glen could tell me the questions to ask Vonage it would be a great help. I have no idea what to tell them if I call.

Edited by Fiia

I've just bought a new router. I'm going to try a little hacking with my modem's superuser access to disable all the NAT and firewall functions. I'm going to get it as close to being a dumb modem as I can and make an ad-hoc bridging mode to try and bypass anything the gateway does and use the new router instead.

No dice with this. There's no way to turn off the gateway's NAT even for the DMZ ip. Just got 10053 as per usual.

Any progress possibly rolling back some chat changes, Glen?

I'll be looking at a new ISP end of the month anyway now but I know first hand how frustrating it is so I don't want to see anyone driven away by this thing.

I have no idea what to tell them if I call.

Fiia, try to find a way to disable the NAT on your Vonage box. I don't know if it's possible but it sounds like your connection is going through a double NAT the way it's hooked up. If you can't do that, maybe get a cheap switch to plug your PC and Vonage thing into?

Edited by Krjal

woah I had no idea wbout this post >.<

I'm not sure how long I haven't been able to connect to the Chat, I joined during the Open Beta weekend during February and the chat was just fine; I think I didn't log in until April which is when I started to play on a regular basis and then the chat didn't work showing the Error 10053

My Router is a Cisco model DPR2320; I have tried looking for a firmware upgrade but it appears to be dependant on my ISP

I tried the first and third steps on this thread and both showed this message:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/40a81038ab699774185837df591a46ce/tumblr_mokh53KwFP1s9sbqmo1_400.jpg

I really don't know what to do; I hardly understand how these things work; I use windows 7 in spanish so it makes things a bit more confusing :/

Edited by nebulosa

During open beta weekend there was no regional chat sadly.

When you're trying to connect to the IRC servers in mIRC try taking off the irc:// prefix. Sadly our forum software refuses to show these as proper links (if it did you'd just be able to click them and everything would open automatically).

Ok I think I did it right now, but I got these windows:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/43c7b13af78f3c48ca7606064a9a98a2/tumblr_mokh53KwFP1s9sbqmo2_r1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/5acd550e0558e53ce248045fed03e251/tumblr_mokh53KwFP1s9sbqmo3_r1_500.jpg

I'm installing the game on another computer which is connected to internet by wifi, while my main computer is connected by the ethernet cable and check if that's has anything to do >.>;

De_Glen, would you please provide me a list of questions I should ask Vonage in order to get WF's chat working on my computer running through the Vonage box?

Well sadly there's nothing special about chat. It's just making a regular TCP connection to our IRC server. You should tell them that when you connect your PC through the Vonage box you cannot connect to the IRC server, but when you bypass it everything works fine. My guess is that anything more technical than that will be lost on them.

It would probably help if you walked through the mIRC steps to demonstrate that it's not just our crappy game that has the problem (and that when you connect with mIRC bypassing the Vonage box everything works).

I got a motorola sbg941 modem router combo and I get error 10054 no matter what I do setting wise don't have any other issues with connections on other games. I tried DMZ and also forwarding port tcp 6667 with no avail also my firmware is isp provided so I can't dd wrt it.

With all the people having issue the chat, it appears this is a WF issue more than player issue.

I wonder if anyone who has trouble has ever had any problems in other games; I for one have never had an issue with a chat system until WF.

Edited by Fiia

With all the people having issue the chat, it appears this is a WF issue more than player issue.

We get over 100,000 people connecting to chat every day without problems; you'd be able to join them too if it weren't for your Vonage box.

I've spend *days* on this, pouring over network captures from failure cases -- time and again I see malfunctioning network equipment.

I'm not feeling the love here; maybe I should work on something else where people will actually appreciate my efforts?

I'm not feeling the love here; maybe I should work on something else where people will actually appreciate my efforts?

no no please keep working on the chat, I'll be the first one to send you chocolates if the issue is fixed :D

Now being serious; I won't die if my connection to the chat isn't fixed anytime soon, please take all the time you need, and please don't get frustrated by the lack of appreciation some people show, there's a few of us who appreciate a lot the effort you're doing - I bet this has brought you a bunch of headaches.