Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid Buff Or Rework Idea.

Marbelik

Mmm i have been playing Hydroid lately. I really like the frame concept but there are many issues that have been presented to me when using him.

1.- He is a caster frame with a 300 max power pool.

2.- Most of his skills set him stand in place and the only one that allows for movement gets bugged if before casting it you do a flip or a roll.

3.- Adding to the skills making him stand in place all his skill animations are long and the skills are not paid off when the animation finish.

Skills problems right now:

Tempest Barrage.

Right now this skill makes you stand still, cannot be casted while reloading or moving and has a slightly high cast animation. Can be casted while jumping. Has a 2~ second delay cast between continued use. And the salvos start to appear 1~ second after the cast.

The skill makes 4 bullet salvos per second and damage randomly on an area.

The skill gets modified by Range, Strenght and Duration.

Tidal Surge.

Right now when you roll and then you use this skill it makes you stand in place. The skill travels further the more duration you have, and damages more enemies the more range you have. It says you damage enemies per second who stand in the wave and also damages enemies who stand at the end of the wave, but mostly all enemies hit get ragdolled in random directions or wont even get ragdolled at all. You can still get damaged in the casting animation (the transition between Hydroid and water form).

This skill gets modified by Range, Strenght and Duration.

Undertow.

It makes you stand in place. While the first casting transition is being made Hydroid can receive damage, so if you were trying to escape lethal damage using this there is a high chance you will end up Bleeding inside the Undertow effect. The finishing cast animation before being able to take any other action is like 1~ second and during that transition Hydroid can be damaged. This skill causes low finishing damage per second to enemies that stay inside the Undertow. It doesnt interrupt reloading if you started the action before entering the Undertow, but cant start the reload once you are inside.

This skill gets modified by Range, Strenght and Duration (being a toggled skill).

Tentacle Swarm.

It makes you stand in place and has a slight longer cast animation. The tentalces "have a good chance" to spawn directly below the enemies. The rest of that good chance will make tentacles spawn on walls, floating in mid-air or in the ceilling (given range is applicable or if the room is small). Can be recasted. Tentalces deal finishing damage through the skill duration and deal magnetic damage on the first contact with enemies.

This skill gets modified by Range, Duration and Strenght.

Basically long animations, low max power and every single skill gets modified by the 3 basic power modifiers.

Well once i have talked about the current Hydroid's skills i will like to point how they can be improved (buffed or reworked slightly).

Tempest Barrage.

Make it have a fixed range 6m~. Make it generate 2 salvos (or salvos barrage) per second dealing only a certain amount of damage (that can be modified by Strenght) over the whole area. Mantaining the Knockdown effect on each salvo (or salvo barrage). Make the bullet salvos hit the whole range of the skill (big cannon bullet salvos), to make the damage hit the whole area,  or to make an animation with multiple normal bullet salvos hitting the area at the same time (to make it correspond the damage is applied equally over the area of attack). The thing is to see (or hear) a "boom-boom" effect with each second (corresponding the 2 big bullet or the 2 normal bullet barrage). Make it castable while reloading and while moving.

That will make it have the following stats:

250~ Damage (impact damage, modified by Strenght).

5 second duration (Modified by Duration).

6m~ Power Range (Not modified by Range).

Tidal Surge.

My only suggestion for this skill would be to make all enemy hit by this to be tagged like when a tentacle tags an enemy, so that the full damage from the damage per second of the travel and the las damage application were effective. And after the skill is finished then apply the ragdoll effect further in the direction Hydroid was traveling. The final stats i would suggest for said change would be:

300~ Damage (It has this current damage but it can be increased or decreased slightly. Modified by Strenght).

6m~ Power range (Not modified by Range).

30 Speed (Modified by Duration).

Undertow.

My suggestion for undertow would be to reduce the finishing animation delay, because it wont let us cast skills, move or attack. If there would be possible the use of just Tidal Surge while Undertow it would facilitate movement while helping Hydroid have an increased survivability. Also it can have an increased damage per second while increasing the energy cost of the ability. Also allow us to reload even when inside the Undertow. The stats i propose to have for this would be:

100~ Finisher damage (per second, modified by Strenght).

10~ Energy drain per second (Kind of the energy consumption of Mesa's Peacemaker, modified by duration and efficiency).

15~ Power Range (Modified by Range).

Tentacle Swarm.

Here i would suggest to just improve or adjust the enemy seeking mechanic, since the RNG associated to a 4th skill is simply not good. That "good chance" to have an enemy tangled must be a 100% chance to pick enemies if they are on skill range. Also make the tentacles spawn only on the floor, not in the walls, not in mid-air and not in the ceilling. Make them spawn only on the floor, even if they are culstered together (it really is better this way than to have them spread on random places even with low range). There could be also a chance in damage and duration. The casting animation time can remain unchanged, but please consider the rest of the changes. The changes of stats i propose are:

350~ Finishing damage (per second, modified by power Strenght).

Keep the first instance of magnetic damage like it is or increase/reduce slightly.

Number of Tentacles 15~ (or keep the 12 tentacle, not modified).

Power duration 10-15~ (modified by duration).

Power range 20m (modified by range).

Hope you liked my suggestions and i will be pleased to hear any constructive criticism on this. This to be able to get a better version of the current Hydroid. Thank you for your time reading.

Edited by Marbelik

Tempest Barrage needs to be 1 handed to allow reload, and non-rooting.

Tidal Surge needs greater base range, and ranking up should add less range than it currently does (end result being same #s at max rank)

Allow players to move in Undertow, albeit very very slowly (maybe at additional energy cost, like Ivara's conceal)

Tentacle Swarm needs slightly faster cast time, damage buff, and enemies who walk into it after it's cast should still be subject to chance of stagger or knockdown by tentacles.

Tempest Barrage needs to be 1 handed to allow reload, and non-rooting.

Tidal Surge needs greater base range, and ranking up should add less range than it currently does (end result being same #s at max rank)

Allow players to move in Undertow, albeit very very slowly (maybe at additional energy cost, like Ivara's conceal)

Tentacle Swarm needs slightly faster cast time, damage buff, and enemies who walk into it after it's cast should still be subject to chance of stagger or knockdown by tentacles.

Yes i put that Tempest Barrage should be able to cast while reloading and moving, what i meant was to make it a one hand action.

For Tidal Surge i put a 6m~ fixed range because its what the skill currently have. But yes it could be bigger (thats why i put the ~ which i think means "approximate"), something like 10m~ maybe? Remember that the range is the wide of the wave, which helps hitting more targets at the same time.

Yes! Moving while in Undertow seems really good and funny lol. A moving killing pond.

Yes. I said they can conserve the casting time, but indeed is way too long. Thing it shares with other fourth skills like Nekros's Shadows of the Dead. Mostly it forces the use of Natural Talent, else you will be dead before casting it. But if the casting time would be reduced it would greatly help. Mmm for an increase in damage does the numbers i put are not good in some way? If so please comment which numbers would be good to have, also considering the time they should be active.

Edited by Marbelik

I love my hydroid. Yes the casting speed is a bit problematic. If I want to change all I would do is increase animation speed of abilities, reduce the amount of time it takes tempest barrage to actually start attacking(from what I have seen natural talent reduces time taken to actually start attacking) and put an augment for hydroid as wherever tempest barrage occurs creates puddles which basically works like tar moa or even better make those puddles work like undertow. Nobody knows of my crime in the undertows muhahaha.

Edited by SharkPot

• 2 weeks later...

BTW why are the tentacles on the video Profile Hydroid is as big as hell and the tentacles ingame are small

Is there a map that we need to be on to spawn huge tentacles

or a chance that the tentacles are going to spawn that big?

and one more thing the tentacles on the video.The colors are more darker

it doesn't have white on it

please fix this.

i brought him with platinum on the day of release and what a rip off

i spent that because i thought tentacle swarm was badass but no just small little tentacles slapping no slamming slapping

On the video i see that when the tentacles are larger they shake the screen and thats realistic not sounds of water sqwish sqwash