Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Convergence Unhealthy Promote Nuke Warframes?

Man_In_Suitcase

So I'm running Draco as I don't have the luxary to spend more time than I have farmin' 100k focus for today, and noticed that as soon as everyone spots the booster, everyone seems to going in a frenzy of spamming as many nuke abilities as tennoly possible en-masse...

Now before, "Oh well, that's what you get for playing Draco!" bandwagon jumps in, this also applies to other game modes too, such as Defence and any other that has a high spawn rate like Tycho node on the Moon. I can't help feeling that this Convergence mechanic promotes unhealthly hallway heroic antics, and more abiliy spam then ever. Convergence clearly favors power and nuke Warframes, thus trades what little balance they once was for a maelstrom of Warframe energy colours that now burn into my retinas. Now I actually like the concept of Convergence as it feels more for a "tactical" choice to spam X or 4, rather than just because I can.

However, would it be better if the Convergence drops individually for each Tenno, oppose from it now being a race to nuke everything faster than the next Tenno? At least then it would give it a little less pace, and a greater advantage to non nuke frames. What's your take on this, have you noticed this?

Edited by Man_In_Suitcase

how is this different from before? nuke frames have always been like this where they just spam 4 to get as much focus as you can. no one bothers to save their nukes ether because infinite energy is a thing. and there isnt a race to kill enemies first ether because there is shared xp now too.

Well you are suppose to also have shared focus (at all times I think). Not being a nuke frame isn't an issue in this case in fact them nuking means you are getting more focus.  The only problem is that it is individually picked up.  If they start killing things before everyone picks it up then you start to lose out on some bonus focus.

Focus Changes: v 1.1

The following changes are the first in a series of updates designed to make the Focus System more interactive and rewarding for players.  Because these changes will be frequent and gameplay-altering we will be applying a label to any major update made to the Focus System.  Please keep in mind that the nature of these changes is to provide overall improvement to the Focus System, and that we will monitor and make additional changes as necessary.

• Introducing: 'Convergence'! Read on to find how out these Focus-boosting drops work.
  • Convergence can now appear in Missions with players that have a Focus Lens equipped:
    • Convergence are unique pickups that last for a short amount of time, and will spawn at a random point in the tileset a short distance away from a player.  A unique icon will direct players to the location of a Focus marker on spawn.
    • Convergence will activate once picked up, and will only affect the player that activated the Booster.
    • Convergence will reward the player a 6x Focus multiplier for 45 seconds.  This time limit will appear as a countdown buff on the player.
    • A 5 seconds remaining notice will play before the Affinity multiplier ends.
    • Convergence will only last for a limited amount of time, and will eventually disappear if not picked up.
    • Convergence will automatically drop if one has not appeared after 3-5 minutes.
    • Focus can now be earned through radial and shared Affinity gains rather than just personal kill Affinity Gains.
    • Convergence pickups work like Mods - there is a unique one for every player to grab! It's not 'first-come, first-serve'.
  • The daily Focus cap has been increased from 75k to 100k.

Added to notes 09:39 AM EST 12/02.

• Focus Convergence and Focus Gain changes:
  • As per above, Convergence will reward the player a 6x Focus multiplier for 45 seconds.  This time limit will appear as a countdown buff on the player. Here is how the Focus gain percentages work in v 1.1:

• Normal Lens: 1.25% without Convergence
  • Normal Lens: 7.5% with Convergence (multiplied by 6)
  • Greater Lens: 1.75% without Convergence
  • Greater Lens : 10.5% with Convergence (multiplied by 6)

Whilst I've not gotten into play to have a look at it, the fact remains that triggering Convergence is per player, not global.

Which implies that the x6 aspect only affects the person under the Convergence effect ergo that means that whilst everyone gets the Affinity, only those under its effect are actually getting the full scale of the benefit.

The information in front of me doesn't seem to support one way or another...but again, it comes down to the specifics of Convergence. If the boost requires you to be the one doing the killing, rather than they just die within in range of you...we've not actually improved matters at all. If that isn't the case, great...people are just not properly informed on how it works.

Clarification is necessary on these bits.

Though end of the day, fact remains that the absolute emphasis on kills continues to leave Support styles and approaches functionally irrelevant in this scenario.

Whilst I've not gotten into play to have a look at it, the fact remains that triggering Convergence is per player, not global.

Which implies that the x6 aspect only affects the person under the Convergence effect ergo that means that whilst everyone gets the Affinity, only those under its effect are actually getting the full scale of the benefit.

The information in front of me doesn't seem to support one way or another...but again, it comes down to the specifics of Convergence. If the boost requires you to be the one doing the killing, rather than they just die within in range of you...we've not actually improved matters at all. If that isn't the case, great...people are just not properly informed on how it works.

Clarification is necessary on these bits.

Though end of the day, fact remains that the absolute emphasis on kills continues to leave Support styles and approaches functionally irrelevant in this scenario.

whole lot of big words that seemed to en me right where I started lmao

Well you are suppose to also have shared focus (at all times I think). Not being a nuke frame isn't an issue in this case in fact them nuking means you are getting more focus.  The only problem is that it is individually picked up.  If they start killing things before everyone picks it up then you start to lose out on some bonus focus.

I was testing this last night. Yeah, it's individual pickup, which it shouldn't be, since it's supposed to be shared. I was under the impression it was supposed to help promote team gameplay, but instead it's run to the booster and kill. :/ It also can be staggered. There is a time limit it is up, so you can get it and near the end a teammate can get it. So you get boosted for what you have, but then they get a different score. I'm kind of disapointed this was what they were intending, since I saw the livestream and what they promised.

I just did standard missions not shooting for focus gains but killing everything that dared shoot upon my team, and even though I have a greater lens equipped and my ally has a regular lens, we gained around the same focus at the end with him having slightly more with 14 more kills. I don't know but I would expect throwing four lenses together to make a greater would have a more noticeable benefit.

The booster seems to be the only thing that gives Focus anymore. And yeah, I have greater lens x4 (WF, Main, pistol, melee) and I get a sad amount for a regular mission with, say 120 kills - 1.5k Focus? Focus is broke and I hope the fix it soon and not break it worse.

Why can't Focus work like regular affinity on any frame? Leveling up a nuke and a support is basically the same. To be fair, Focus should be an extension of that formula. The multipliers (Greater lens vs normal lens and booster vs nothing) should be simple arithmetic. DE is overthinking this.

And the Boosters do NOT promote team play. If it was everyone got the boost when only 1 player grabbed it, yes it would be. Now everyone scatters to grab the boost, leaving objectives open to the enemy (including me), meanwhile spamming 4.

Sure, there's flak on any "nerf" but these are unhealthy changes for the game. Hopefully the DE that made this great game with rise up and made sensible changes to Focus (see my above post). If it ain't broke. don't fix it! I don't mean Focus, I mean the game and the way it used to be VERY team-play oriented. It is getting more individual-focused & grind oriented.

Convergence = Nerf Solo nukers, and reward all members of the squad.

You haven't read many of the other replies in this thread, have you?

Focus is not meant to be a thing to be farmed anyway.

Yeah, alright, sure. So that's why we have a daily cap and pitifully low gains in most circumstances, right?

I've maxed daily Focus almost every day since Focus came out and have not completed a single tree. This is a farm. A terrible one. One that proceeds to grow more terrible over time, as this recent update has proven.

Edited by Nitresco