Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Developer Workshop: Chat UI Overhaul

DE_Adam

Looking quite nice. I am very much looking forward to this. Some things I think would improve chat QOL for the post 18.5 changes.

• Open the game inbox. (Missing the motd is all to common and a simple notifications via inbox would greatly help clan/alliance communication and organization. Note: adding a mail all option for clans/alliances would save some poor warlord having to send out the same message 1k times.)
  • Change the color of warlords/chat moderators in clan/alliance chat. (The color dose not matter, but it would be an extremely simple way for everyone in alliance chat to know that person is a warlord/moderator. Note: when a warning or request comes from those denoted with the capability of removing you from chat more often then note the average person is more complaint and further drama is easily avoided.)
  • Expand the channel punishments. (While being able to ban for 1hour/1day is nice, I have ran into alliance situations with users who frequently disrupt chat and remembering to ban them every 24 hours is an unwanted chore. I have even dismissed otherwise very good clans because of the actions of one or a few and the clans unwillingness to remove them. Note an addition of 1week/ Exile form alliance chat would suffice. (Notes Note: A manageable ban list would be needed in case the decision is later appealed in the case of permanent exile.)).
  • Separate Squad Recruitment and Clan/Alliance Recruitment. (Id say the majority of clans do so via advertisements in recruiting, giving them a dedicated Channel for this frees up clutter and gives recruiters an area where their target audience has their undivided attention.

I would like to see other players thoughts and opinions on these as well as anything you might find worth mentioning.

Edited by --Skitz0--
typos

Seems pretty interesting, not entirely fond of the emoji side of things necessarily as I have a feeling they'll become heavily overused in Region, but I'll have to wait and see there.  The part I'm most interested in is having players be notified when using the @ symbol with their name which will make answering junk for new players a little easier.  Cutting back on repeat answers to the same player who didn't notice will be a little nice for sure.

I also do feel a touch worried about the same thing as AuroraSonicBoom, as having things more split could lead to each segment feeling a little emptier.  However I'm not overly concerned about that point either.

Edited by Bobtm
Not entirely used to the new formatting/editor quite yet.

Could we please open a chat tab by doubleclicking on the user's name in the chat window and user list?

Highlighting and/or notifying when someone mentiones are name would also be great. Also choosing to be notfied ot not of clan or aliance chat activity while being in a squad chat would help a lot.

Thanks!

Do you plan on supporting clickable http(s) links? I don't mind typing out links the few times someone sends something but most don't do that and I would still prefer to just click them.

Any plans on opening chat up to external clients / a separate window for people with multiple monitors?

If not then at least make it possible keeping 2+ chat tabs open as separate windows (either in game or preferably as completely separate windows that I could place on another monitor). I like keeping an eye on alliance chat while still not missing stuff that my squad says in missions.

A hotkey for switching between specific tabs would be nice (I know you can type /t to cycle tabs but that takes time (squad => clan => alliance => pm => squad), even worse if you have default channels enabled too). 

If not then at least add a shortcut to alliance like there is for squad (/s msg) and clan (/c msg). 

11 hours ago, Pegasy said:

Do you plan on supporting clickable http(s) links? I don't mind typing out links the few times someone sends something but most don't do that and I would still prefer to just click them.

With how chat works now, that could be used by spambots to make you click malicious links, I wouldn't recommend it

~

I really dont like the emotes (but I dont like emotes that arent plain text in general) and that the tabs are icons, overall this doesn't really look like an upgrade to me so much as it seems like a sidegrade. This could be that im used and fond of the chat right now, but I do think the clickable join links would be nice for clan/alliance chats but would be absolutely horrible for recruiting chat as it would be like bait for leechers (Ex. Hosting T4 Defense, and someone joins with a Rank 7 Nova + low rank weapons) just looking to get free XP, while they cant really do anything themselves. 

I think it could do well if a filter was added so you only get messages with "X" or hide messages that contain "Y" (Mainly thought of for trade chat, but would work in recruiting also) [ex. they want to do T3 and T4 missions so they put "T3,T4" in a menu/textbox and any message with those show, or simply "WTS" so you only see sellers or "WTB" for buyers)

or if it was possible maybe a /currentX (X being weapon name equipped) and if clicked it gives a hover-over of mods used + forma'd polarites being italicized. (some way to share builds easier) my suggestion was just a quick made-on the spot 

Edited by Coldstreme

Some quick remarks on early feedback and how we're tweaking some things for the 18.5 launch:

• The displaying of Emojis is going to be optional, if you disable them you'll see the root emoji :clem: instead of the image.
  • 'Close All PMs' action will be added as an option.
  • Medium Font Size (will be the new default)
  • Ability to grow the chat window from the top (PC Only).
  • Press 'Tab' to switch tabs (PC Only).

The one question that I have for this is will it offer a simple copy/paste? The reason for using this would be if you go in the recruiting chat and say host a void mission and get tons of replies, it would be a fast way to communicate to the other side at least letting them know that your group is full, or for whatever reason. It doesn't have to be that specific reason, but it's the most simplistic reason I can think of off the top of my head. Otherwise, the chat UI is looking really good!

oh boy, gotta have faces. so people will spam lots of those in Chat now. yey.
anyways, the icons to represent different Chat Channels should be clearer. Shield as Clan is... okay, but the other Channels need clearer icons.

and ofc Trade and Buy should be separate Channels or have Channel Filters with automatically assigned tags based on whether someone prefaces with some form of WTB or WTS.

also if someone Mention tags you, i don't want some ridiculous pop up or other annoying crap. just like, change the background of that Message so that it stands out from the other ones.
like this:
9sALiug.png
that isn't annoying but still stands out from the rest of the messages.

oh, i almost forgot... don't screw with the default Channel. i hate it now when you close a PM and it defaults to Region Chat. no thanks. and if i disable the Chat Tabs i don't want to ever load, i'm left with Trading which i can't kick myself from to have it not load and annoy me when i don't want to use it.
Clan Chat is first, and doesn't do that so yes, please, ALWAYS default back to Clan Chat. or Squad Chat if you're in a Squad. but if you leave a Squad or close a PM, always default to Clan Chat.

2 hours ago, DERebecca said:
  • Press 'Tab' to switch tabs (PC Only).

does that also mean, Shift+Tab would go back a Channel as well?

Edited by taiiat