Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mummy warframe - why so ugly?

Ianrama

10 minutes ago, Sorkheff said:

Would you prefer we said weirdly proportioned, cartoonish, anatomically bizarre?

That would make more sense, despite your attempt at sarcasm.  Also, being that mummies are just preserved corpses, there would be some disproportions and mutilations and such that oppose original anatomy, so you are only validating what I said earlier.

In addition, there are plenty of other warframes the community considers to be cartoonish or anatomically bizarre.  Why not go ahead and complain about those also?

Edited by VampirePirate

3 minutes ago, VampirePirate said:

That would make more sense, despite your attempt at sarcasm.  Also, being that mummies are just preserved corpses, there would be some disproportions and mutilations and such that oppose original anatomy, so you are only validating what I said earlier.

Was not being sarcastic at all. I genuinely think even if it was a decaying body the calves and forearms would still conform to more expected shapes. Secondly, I don't think that Warframes are decaying/embalmed/etc. It's just how it appears...unless we're going to say it's in a state of semi-permanent death...(which actually sounds extremely awesome)

Edited by Sorkheff
Editted because...profanity filter...is bad.

45 minutes ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

A mummy is cheesy but not the Monkey King and the Conqueror of the Seas? 

How about the pirate themed frame, or the magician? The French Tactician? No? How about the king of the fairies?

This isn't really any better or worse than the concept for many other frames. As long as the lore can justify it and his powers are awesome I don't mind.

I'm with you on this. For a game about Magical Robot Ninjas in Space, the community is home to a whole lot of purists. Which is fine - I mean, whatever you're into - but let's be reasonable. In the Chroma update they were like, "Hey, here's a frame that's a dragon. You get a dragon. And his favorite weapon? Strap-on chainsaw claws." And this after the Pirate frame and the Fairy King frame, but before the Monkey King frame and the Robin Hood/Tree Frog frame. It's nice that community members are concerned and passionate about design, but doesn't there comes a point where you just have to suspend your disbelief a little bit? Does the new mummy frame look funny? Sure, why not. But aren't most frames just a little strange, having at least one little feature you wish you could change? Anything after the Miter - that's the great big sawblade gun - I no longer care about the cheese, just how I get to play with whatever DE gives us.

Right, "out of the warframe style". Never mind that the style of warframes has always been all over the place with the slight exception of the originals.

It's a stupid argument. You don't like how it looks? That's cool. Too bad. I think Rhino looks trash, but I have to deal with it.

2 minutes ago, Sorkheff said:

Was not being sarcastic at all. I genuinely think even if it was a decaying body the calves and forearms would still conform to more expected shapes. Secondly, I don't think that Warframes are decaying/embalmed/etc. It's just how it appears...unless we're going to say it's in a state of semi-permanent death...(which actually sounds extremely bad &#!)

You are making a valid point here.  However, this warframe being a mummy is just a theme.  Also, the additional theme i see if that it resembles a Pharaoh.  You could think of the parts you don't like as clothing, armor, or accessories.  Form-fitting types.  Then of course there is the possibility of deluxe skins.

I'm not keen on it, there is a lot, I personally, don't care for.

But.

It is slap-bang right in the middle of the Warframe design aesthetic, the materials are right, the mix of hard-tech and that pseudo-rubber material, the deformed human form, it's all classic Warframe. As a Warframe "Mummy-frame" I think it is spot-on.

This is a perfect contrast to the mess "Typhus" which is a pleasing enough looking design, but a terrible Warframe. It's that is so far for the Warframe aesthetic that it can't even see it with a pair of binoculars.

Edited by SilentMobius

Honestly it's starting to grow on me. The helmet looks like a fez with a big feather attached, the shoulders, chest, arms, and legs have armour so he doesn't look totally barebones; the wrappings for mummification cover his decayed/preserved but thin body, and the curious miniature sarcophagi on his shoulders and back hint at his minion summoning power.

And yes, he does remind me of Bionicle. Good times!

If this guy is departing from warframe style, then so is Nekros. They have a very similar design. If you think that Nekros is also a departure from warframe style, well then I guess that's a moot point.

I think the people commenting on how it doesn't look "desiccated" enough are reckoning without the presence of ornamentation, which is clearly implied in the frame's design and would alter the profile. This isn't a naked mummy running around, fresh out the sarcophagus. He clearly took his time and got dressed before stepping out of the royal tomb.

On 2/26/2016 at 5:16 AM, Ianrama said:

Now this is just my opinion, but i think the design is totally bad.It iss ugly not in a way that mummy can be ugly. Is not scary ugly - is lame ugly and is totally way out of the warframe style... or at least go too close to the touch line

Please, by all means, not being an official Warframe artist who works at and/or for DE, describe what the "warframe style" is and how this frame is "way out" of it. Warframes have always had designs all over the place (with exceptions of the old ones, as said above by AdunSaveMe).

Nothing is breaking the "warframe style", it's simply that you don't like the look of the frame. OP, you are just going to have to accept him the way he looks. I don't like how Atlas's default helmet appears to be headless, especially with that partial stub protruding out of the top, but I'm not going to display an incredibly high level of distaste for it. I'm simply going to play Atlas the way he is, use one of his alt helmets, or not play him at all.

Edited by LazerSkink

8 hours ago, Kuestenjung said:

Why would this be locked?

Almost everything nowadays is called rushed by anyone.

I like the design, although or maybe because he Looks like Nekros 2.0

Well, you have some weird tastes, because you have an atlas avatar :>

But i'm happy for you if you love him, but 80% of the community think he is ugly / rushed / cartoon / nowarframestyle

On 2/26/2016 at 2:50 PM, Kuestenjung said:

Why would this be locked?

• OP wants this frame to be reconsiderd but he didn't gave any points on how to improve
  • art team has nothing to do with scaling and balancing. let them do their job.

and last but not least

• there's already a thread that discusses its looks, he could've shared his 50 cents there

well...

no. I don't really like looks of it.

Those horribly out of shape and out of place thighs. 

He isn't even released and those give me nightmares already.

Rest is acceptable.

No belly under chest? Sure. Compulsive onanist forehands? Well... ok.  Helmet stolen from necro? Makes sense, he can't even afford to fill his belly. Gorilla toes? uhh... sure. And those knees... Do they bend backwards? sigh..

But thighs are the worst.

I hope for some auxiliary skirt/pants to fix this.

It doesn't have to be pretty, it's just supposed to hide this lack of reasonable line... Just throw in a floor  long hawaii straw skirt or something...

Because I want to love this frame, I really do.

To the point I'd dare to say I'm mildly hyped.

Edit: I didn't do it enough juistice. I really like how it looks. Shoulder'plates are really neat, those pockets clams etc all over place are very climatic and fitting. helmet is also really neat (even if that back piece has "clipping alert" written all over it.) It's just those "pockets" on thighs don't feel right.

Edited by 5HV3N

I dont get how people think they can tell an artist what does or does not fit a vague theme they use to inspire a design as a form of criticism. 

Just because they nickname it a "mummy frame" doesnt mean they need to stick to any specific rule set on design. All it is, is a nickname. 

Modding community I call upon thee

to make this frame not look like *beeeep*

If the modding community get out something that makes it better I am up for it. An anubis skin would be cooler, (We have a goatframe and a dragon frame...a cat frame more or less...we need a wolf one to complete the set) if that's what will we only get too bad. I'll only cringe for for waves of draco before i get that all precious mastery out of that lifless hus and throw it back where I came from.

On 26.2.2016 at 2:44 PM, Leahzar said:

I posted my thoughts on the frame in another thread that was talking about its look; see below for my 2 cents summed up:

Basically: anything that's "dried-up" (like a mummy) will NOT be curvy. Curvy things are full of water/moisture (ie Fruit, water balloon etc) so the look of the frame does not fit the theme in my opinion. The reference images I've added are of real mummies (and a gorilla, obviously) and the second image shows how I'd change the frame overall to make it feel more like a "mummy". 

lrHg93E.jpg

this!

Thank you these are EXACTLY the problems i have with the design.

Personally I like the looks of the frame, the thighs I don't see the issue.

He has some pouches there, nothing more.

It's his fingers and toes that made me cringe a bit as they look clubbed. Just too thick and tube like, and as someone said his feet look more like a gorillas because of it.

Sure I get it they tried making them look more ornate but there are much better ways to do it than to try using the caps like they used on beards.