Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction House

Ashafa

"It would be beneficial to the average player looking to complete an item or get a rare mod but it would lower the value for me so I don't want it" Is what I just got from this.

Yes, because the abolishment of value for loot is such a trivial thing. Its not as if it would hurt gameplay or the longevity of the game at all if a player could buy nearly everything it has to offer right off the bat for pennies and dimes without exerting any real effort. It's just all about the money grubbing trade sharks, not like de put in loot and mods to give players an incentive to actually keep playing. 

It seems that the only other reason for not wanting an Auction House is so that players can price gouge others, which is a practice that serves no benefit to the average player.

Correct. The Auction House oppositionists have only one of two motivations: ignorance or malice. They're either folks who don't understand economics, or they are sellers who don't want actual market prices on their items because they would make less platinum, as they're currently reaping extra profit from the huge lack of information buyers in WF suffer from (is anyone else selling this? Is it truly rare? Will someone sell it to me during this play session, my next, or the next, or is this my only option?)

More efficient markets universally increase trade. And there's already a vehicle in economics for throttling trade -- we call it "Tax." Tax AH purchases at 10% of platinum and suddenly DE is going to watch millions of plat vanish from the market that otherwise goes unspent (because many, many players, including myself, will ​never spend their plat on the actual in-game market).

Why they don't implement this is likely more of a dev-time-to-reward ratio, with incoming plat from new frames and players drawn back by cool new quests and features outweighing the amount of plat they would expect to collect via taxes, but we can hope that at some point the calculus will work. Right now there are a LOT of non-participants in the market who would like to spend plat and even give some of it back to DE for the privilege of doing so, who will instead just not buy & use platinum. It's actually easier to farm many prime items than it is to try and buy them from another player with plat.

The people who rely on items not having an easily-visible price (for haggling up on sales) are vehemently against it because it would drop their expected profits if buyers could see what items are actually going for.

And even though that point of view seems selfish, an auction house would actually lower prices on everything because supply on many items beats demand, it's just that trading is such a hassle that most people don't bother to try to sell most of what they have so the available supply at any given moment is lower than the total (when you inclue factors like having to be online at the same time with the current system).

You are correct.

Even with a small proportion of the player base using WF market it still has competitive prices, that are trending downwards. It's a buyers market not a sellers due to high supply and limited demand. The only reason 99% of the stuff being sold isn't 1p is because there are no searchable listings and inconveinence of the current system. WF market solves half of the problem at least.

Yes, because the abolishment of value for loot is such a trivial thing. Its not as if it would hurt gameplay or the longevity of the game at all if a player could buy nearly everything it has to offer right off the bat for pennies and dimes without exerting any real effort. It's just all about the money grubbing trade sharks, not like de put in loot and mods to give players an incentive to actually keep playing. 

There are ways to design a trading system so that players are discouraged from selling low. If you could only put 3 items up on the Auction House per day/week no one would be selling things for such a cheap price because it would be a waste of their time. I guess if everyone decided to put up the same common item the price would drop to 1 plat, but that most likely won't happen because who the hell would waste a limited slot for such a meager amount?

It comes down to if you value the legitimacy of a fair trade system more so than artificially inflated longevity from an rng wall. The new focus system is a good step away from the latter, and more systems like it in the game would allow such a market to exist without taking away from the content.

Trading house is getting updated in 18.5 or 19, DE said so in one of the last devstreams.

Trading house is getting updated in 18.5 or 19, DE said so in one of the last devstreams.

werent they talking about allowing players to sell items for a desired item(possibly plat) in maroo's bazaar so you have to at least be AFK there?if it was its not the same thing as an auction house.

Correct. The Auction House oppositionists have only one of two motivations: ignorance or malice. They're either folks who don't understand economics, or they are sellers who don't want actual market prices on their items because they would make less platinum, as they're currently reaping extra profit from the huge lack of information buyers in WF suffer from (is anyone else selling this? Is it truly rare? Will someone sell it to me during this play session, my next, or the next, or is this my only option?)

Pretty much this, and we all know how our " glorious " community is fair.  Players are gonna rip you off if they can (if they can...). Having AH would deny them of this so it would be lot of salt from them.

Though it´s mostly malice, seeing at how those oppose the AH idea are usually higher ranked players looking to scam new players, as you say due to lack of information on item prices.

Pretty much this, and we all know how our " glorious " community is fair.  Players are gonna rip you off if they can (if they can...). Having AH would deny them of this so it would be lot of salt from them.

Though it´s mostly malice, seeing at how those oppose the AH idea are usually higher ranked players looking to scam new players, as you say due to lack of information on item prices.

Yes, of course everyone oposing your ideas must be evil. Of course that these new players that are getting scammed they must be prevented from having to spend some effort on their own to investigate those prices.

So with auction house providing perfect information on prices, having large surplus of parts and no player needing more then one copy of prime parts what exactly is going to be traded in this auction house after every new player buys their parts at start of game?

You couldnt search the threads before this before posting the same copy right? This has been discussed many times. We got Maroo's bazaar now and by the looks of it they'll keep improving that place. Thats your Auction house. If you wanna be lazy and still get the Platinum this is not the game for you friend.

Yes, of course everyone oposing your ideas must be evil. Of course that these new players that are getting scammed they must be prevented from having to spend some effort on their own to investigate those prices.

So with auction house providing perfect information on prices, having large surplus of parts and no player needing more then one copy of prime parts what exactly is going to be traded in this auction house after every new player buys their parts at start of game?

Yeah, keep putting words in my mouth buddy. Everyone is evil! Even me! Booga-booga boo!

Fascinating how you found yourself in my post and my post alone, and lots of other posts here share my thoughts.

Effort you say ? Is it effort that new players eventually find the prices and cannot buy anything due to sellers asking for unreasonable prices in the trade chat ? Only option left here is buying platinum with money. Trade chat is a mess and you know it.

More than few will rob you if you don´t know the price, without a doubt. Such people would not have their place in the AH system, they would actually, but they wouldn´t be selling anything. As for buying everything right at the start, lock either access to the AH behind MR, and naturally, content on the AH could be locked beind MR. Problem at this moment is, there is not much to trade, except for prime parts, helmets, syndicate mods, weapons....put resources as tradeable. There is always incentive among those who wish for it. :)

Edited by Zealotux

Yeah, keep putting words in my mouth buddy. Everyone is evil! Even me! Booga-booga boo!

Fascinating how you found yourself in my post and my post alone, and lots of other posts here share my thoughts.

Effort you say ? Is it effort that new players eventually find the prices and cannot buy anything due to sellers asking for unreasonable prices in the trade chat ? Only option left here is buying platinum with money. Trade chat is a mess and you know it.

More than few will rob you if you don´t know the price, without a doubt. Such people would not have their place in the AH system, they would actually, but they wouldn´t be selling anything. As for buying everything right at the start, lock either access to the AH behind MR, and naturally, content on the AH could be locked beind MR. Problem at this moment is, there is not much to trade, except for prime parts, helmets, syndicate mods, weapons....put resources as tradeable. There is always incentive among those who wish for it. :)

I agree that trade chat is mess and buying/selling anything depends on very much oportunity, but why are you buying anything if you find prices unreasonable? Should sellers be forced to prices you like? Should we move from free market to state economy of sorts where DE sets all prices? Should perhaps DE disable trading and start selling prime parts as well? It would be completely fair and nobody could rob people who do not do their research.

I am not sure about selling resources as due resource booster weekends quite a few people would be able to flood market. But prices for alloy plates might be amusing to watch.

We already have the resources in Darvo's Market, no need for that to happen.

As for the AH - I am against it, however, I strongly dislike our current system as well and as I mentioned in page 1 (or 2?) I would rather have our Warframes go into kiosk-esque type of mode and nod in the current "trade" mode. That way we will all be able to put some items in our "raised hand stance" (1 item per 4 MR for example) and we put the price we want for them. Of course the trade chat and dojo trade will remain as well.

The way I see it this will have a better success than the AH (which usually leads to hyper-inflation or hyper-deflation, which in both cases leads to devaluation of currencies), trade will remain as it is, but we will also have the thrill of entering a relay in which we have no idea what will find for sale (and usually people don't enter the same instance of a relay twice). Of course, MR restrictions will have to be implemented in order to not allow (for example) the Tenno Steve, who just got to mr 2 and bought 4k plat to simply enter the relay and buy everything he can and then claim the game does not offer any challenge.

We already have the resources in Darvo's Market, no need for that to happen.

As for the AH - I am against it, however, I strongly dislike our current system as well and as I mentioned in page 1 (or 2?) I would rather have our Warframes go into kiosk-esque type of mode and nod in the current "trade" mode. That way we will all be able to put some items in our "raised hand stance" (1 item per 4 MR for example) and we put the price we want for them. Of course the trade chat and dojo trade will remain as well.

The way I see it this will have a better success than the AH (which usually leads to hyper-inflation or hyper-deflation, which in both cases leads to devaluation of currencies), trade will remain as it is, but we will also have the thrill of entering a relay in which we have no idea what will find for sale (and usually people don't enter the same instance of a relay twice). Of course, MR restrictions will have to be implemented in order to not allow (for example) the Tenno Steve, who just got to mr 2 and bought 4k plat to simply enter the relay and buy everything he can and then claim the game does not offer any challenge.

Yes, this sounds excelent. This would avoid problems I see with AH type trade.

AH no, player store ala old MMO (think Lineage 2 and so on)

It worked fine in old MMOs and it can work fine here to.

in lineage 2 is was fun having to look through 100 of stores mot of which you had to wait 5mins for them all to load. You would also still have the old WTB WTS WTT spam in chat constant and as far as i know they have now finally put a auction house in the game after years of complaints. Edited by Kaos88

You couldnt search the threads before this before posting the same copy right? This has been discussed many times. We got Maroo's bazaar now and by the looks of it they'll keep improving that place. Thats your Auction house. If you wanna be lazy and still get the Platinum this is not the game for you friend.

Maroo Bazaar it's poor and undeveloped version of usual central market square, where is everyone just sit on the ground and spam WTS/WTB. It's nothing like Auction House, at all.

A limit to items on sale per account would actually limit the availability of common items.

Also, it could only show your stuff while you're logged in (although it should still be a "hands off" system) and require a certain MR to reduce duplicate seller accounts.

Oh, and recently traded items should have a cooldown before being sellable again.

They should really add this, so everyone could play the game rather than spamming WTS in chat till someone catches on.

So you would change RNG of catching on to RNG that someone would choose your Boltor Barrel for example, as opposed to 5000 other sellers. It does have some convenience factor, but I am not quite convinced that it would be improvement.

I agree that trade chat is mess and buying/selling anything depends on very much oportunity, but why are you buying anything if you find prices unreasonable? Should sellers be forced to prices you like? Should we move from free market to state economy of sorts where DE sets all prices? Should perhaps DE disable trading and start selling prime parts as well? It would be completely fair and nobody could rob people who do not do their research.

I am not sure about selling resources as due resource booster weekends quite a few people would be able to flood market. But prices for alloy plates might be amusing to watch.

You make a good point there. Sellers shouldn´t be forced to have prices the buyers want.

While we are on your idea, of state economy where DE sets all the prices, maybe DE could set the max price for an item, and when you would want to buy it, a buyer couldn´t offer price greater than that set by the DE. Only lower or the exact same, would depend on how much the seller would ask for it. If that makes sense.

Other than that, would the AH system improve current state ? Maybe, maybe not, but as it is, we agree both that trade chat is a mess and couldn´t get worse :/

I agree if someone is desperate and has the plat to buy something, by all means, he can offer price 3x greater than what it would normally cost (in ideal conditions). DE just need some sort of system that would prevent "greedy" vets from exploiting new players. That would be a good start.

I have a friend who single-handedly tripled the price of a crafting material on a SWTOR server. It's very easy to inflate an endgame economy by hoarding, especially since most of Warframe's economy is people looking for specific parts/mods. Since parts are consumables there's also never a guaranteed value for them. If Warframe added a traditional auction house, mods would continuously inflate from their already ridiculous prices and prime parts would probably be on a scale of 1-100 plat. Prisma and Syndicate weapons would likely be nearing 1000 plat. Yes we have stuff like Warframe Market but those aren't known or used by the entire community and the lack of convenience as well as the number of inactive accounts makes it a much more stable economy.   

Instead of brainstorming about a auction house, how about using what we have already - Maroo's bazaar, but with a little change to how it currently is - instead of going into "trade mode", we could go in "kiosk"-esque type of mode, where we could actually put what we want to sell and a price tag for what we want to sell it for?

I kinda like this idea. It's not an auction house, but it's organized and easy to read.

People wanting to sell can go to Maroos bazaar and set up shop, inputting the items they have for trade and what price they are looking for. Anyone can easily search for what they are looking for and see the available prices. you can sell either a set or individual pieces.

To avoid AFK, the trading of goods still works like normal trade, you both have to hit the accept button to say that they are ready to trade and then both hit accept again to finish the trade. If someone AFKs too long, then they are kicked from the bazaar and back to their orbiter.

The prices wouldn't be final as you can still haggle, but players can easily see the market value of items from within the game. Maybe even make it so that once something is traded, it can't be traded again for a week or something, so that people can't immediately turn it around for profit.