Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction House

Ashafa

The problem with the "easy trading will bring excess supply" argument is that it works both ways. There are people avoiding trade chat to BUY things as well, and an eased trading process will bring THEM to the table too. On top of that, players new to warframe will come in too, possibly wanting to buy even old stuff that "everybody has already". And really, even if the older items get cheaper from lots of supply, isn't that okay? It's old after all, and anything new will still be rife with the dramatic market swings that "professional" traders love.

I also post a link to my trade system idea, which at its core is essentially a UI-based version of what trade chat does now. It adresses most people's concerns with an "auction house", I think, and if there's a concern it doesn't addess, please post it so we can work out a favorable solution.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/547763-my-dream-trading-system/

Edited by Kintair

I am currently using mostly trade as a way to get that part/mod that RNG will not provide, I would not like for trade to become main source of prime parts. I like that it is there as alternative for if/when I give up, but if it become so much easier to buy rather than run multiple void runs it might devalue prime parts - as currently there is some achivement in getting them. Hard to say.

because many are turned off by how trading currently works, an auction house that functions when you are ingame or offline would mean a large influx of supply which our market as is couldnt handle.

and you dont seem to understand what limited demand is. its limited demand means once a person builds a frame or gun, they never need to have to buy the parts ever again, and any they may accrue go back into the trading system further decreasing the price of this item.

and sorry to burst your bubble on this, but people do buy plat packs from DE. it so more often those people who want to get prime access but its still paying DE for premium currency. but theres no telling how much of this goes into trading, but i would wager a fair amount does. and just going by the number of current steam users online (about 38k) we can guess each has at least 100p which comes to 3.8 million plat.

now if you remember warframe has something like 12 million players, if we go by each having about 100p on average, thats over a billion plat. now they might have not bought that plat themselves but someone has to have since i've only heard of someone getting plat from login rewards once in a blue moon.

so now lets remove the idea of the wall that is the current trade method. we go from maybe 4million possible traders to 12 and from each being active for maybe a few hours to ever hour of every day. do you not see how much more money is in the market for a limited number of needs?

the bottom line of this is:

people buy plat -> plat generates money for DE -> DE uses money to generate content -> content makes players happy and have new items to want to obtain -> people buy plat to either acquire the new items or trade for them -> the cycle repeats.

an auction house thrown in, as is, would mean less money for DE with falling prices of trade, meaning less content, meaning less happy players, meaning less money spent by players.

How do you know that many are turned off by it, by the forums or people in region? If so, that's a minority.

I know how supply and demand works, but I don't see what's stopping a clan from doing what people keep saying they'll do if we get a broker.

I don't remember saying people don't buy plat.

Hopping around the regions and checking the number of people in trade chat in each region and then comparing to the total number logged on will get you an estimate of the number of users trying to trade at any given time.

I guess the issue there would be getting the total logged on, since we can see the Steam value but that's not the total one.

Anybody wanna' take bets on the percentage of players actually using trade chat at any given time?

Hopping around the regions and checking the number of people in trade chat in each region and then comparing to the total number logged on will get you an estimate of the number of users trying to trade at any given time.

I guess the issue there would be getting the total logged on, since we can see the Steam value but that's not the total one.

Anybody wanna' take bets on the percentage of players actually using trade chat at any given time?

i'd guess at most 30%, which is a very small percentage of the total population

Trade Chat is barely useful. Level of which it scrolls with people filling 3-4 lines of text advertising isnt productive even with the spam filter (which can easily be bypassed).

If you are worried about the database do what Blizzard did. Make each auction house independant of one another on the Relays until the complete system can be created.

Trade Chat is barely useful. Level of which it scrolls with people filling 3-4 lines of text advertising isnt productive even with the spam filter (which can easily be bypassed).

If you are worried about the database do what Blizzard did. Make each auction house independant of one another on the Relays until the complete system can be created.

I thought this was what Blizzard did. To D3 at least.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/13354139/diablo-iii-auction-house-comes-to-a-close-3-18-2014

WE do not need an auction house, YOU want it?

Go to the trading subforum, there is your auction house.

Wow great, a place NOBODY goes.

Just creating 2 or 3 f*cking chat would be AMAZING

I'm probably not the only one who's sick of the "WTS a giant list of items that makes your message totally vanish"

The high speed of chat doesn't stop it from working just fine.  If people aren't responding, it's cause your ad is worth ignoring - either items that aren't in demand, items without prices, items that are overpriced.

But offer an in-demand item at a reasonable price, watch people find it - easily.  Or go to recruiting, offer to host an in-demand void mission, no keyshare nonsense, and watch the number of responses you get.

Chat simply isn't the problem.

Wow great, a place NOBODY goes.

Just creating 2 or 3 f*cking chat would be AMAZING

I'm probably not the only one who's sick of the "WTS a giant list of items that makes your message totally vanish"

If you have 3 tabs, then the spam will simply be divided into three sections. People will still type enough in there to cause the same problem. You will now in fact have MORE spam, because a person that wants to sell AND buy AND trade, can now put one message in EACH window at once, rather then having to decide on one, slowing down how much he types.

Are you aware of Maroo's bazaar?

A relay that has a player cap isnt a viable solution.

There are more elegant third party solutions already in place, like http://warframe.market - actual buy and sell order listings, and you just message the person who's selling (or wait to get messaged).

Its the communities response to a lack of official support. Such a website only works with 100% Steam Trade support. An no trading is actually conducted on that website. Its sole purpose is a connection website.

If you have 3 tabs, then the spam will simply be divided into three sections. People will still type enough in there to cause the same problem. You will now in fact have MORE spam, because a person that wants to sell AND buy AND trade, can now put one message in EACH window at once, rather then having to decide on one, slowing down how much he types.

uuuuh... you know they already "auto kick" person that use WTB in recruit and H in trade.

They can auto kick people using WTB in WTS chat.

The high speed of chat doesn't stop it from working just fine.  If people aren't responding, it's cause your ad is worth ignoring - either items that aren't in demand, items without prices, items that are overpriced.

I disagree; the chat goes so quickly that any one advert disappears in the time it takes to blink once. Your brain simply doesn't have the chance to register the words flashing past as actually meaning something before they're gone. Scroll up to get to the words? Why? Your brain didn't even register the presence of something you might want to scroll up and see.

Nah, the AH in D3 was S#&$ty implemented, to the point that item drop rates where influenced by their market price in the AH.

Every bigger mmo has some kind of an AH or Kiosk system - even EVE and they don't really have any problems with ingame economics.

Are you aware of Maroo's bazaar?

Sadly, yes. Maroo's Bazaar is some of the best evidence available that DE do not want efficient trading in their game and will not add efficient trading to their game. Many developers believe that adding trading that doesn't completely suck to their games will ruin them, so they refuse to do it. See GGG and Path of Exile for another example.

POE has poe.trade, which is a fantastic site with excellent functionality, programs that automate parts of the selling process, and other awesome stuff. Warframe has warframe.market, which is a site that is usually missing a ton of recent stuff, is down constantly, is super slow when it's not down, and has a very tiny user base. It's still vastly better than trade chat, though, and the guy running it recently told me he's working on improving the site and fixing the server issues.

At the very least we have something to use besides chat spam. It could be worse. While I'd love DE to simply add non-terrible trading to the game, it's almost certainly not going to happen. In addition to the usual fears about this hurting the game's economy, DE has added fears of this hurting they wallets. They picked a financial model for their game that motivates them to make the game experience worse for players so that players are motivated to spend more money so that we can skip the worst parts. It's awful, but there's nothing we can do about it.

But offer an in-demand item at a reasonable price, watch people find it - easily.  Or go to recruiting, offer to host an in-demand void mission, no keyshare nonsense, and watch the number of responses you get.

Chat simply isn't the problem.

So true. Every word.

So true. Every word.

Players are locked down into one chat tab for trading in an MMO (massive multiplayer). Personal preference isnt a justification for the current system for youre failing to factor in player use by volume.

I watch Twitch streams on my TV via Popout Player (TV is setup as my second monitor). So i rarely have Twitch chat showing or even active because of the addons i use with Firefox. On popular streams its impossible to take anything from chat. For its rate of use is to high filling one to two full scrolls every second. Current system in Warframe is equivalent to this.

Players are locked down into one chat tab for trading in an MMO (massive multiplayer). Personal preference isnt a justification for the current system for youre failing to factor in player use by volume.

I watch Twitch streams on my TV via Popout Player (TV is setup as my second monitor). So i rarely have Twitch chat showing or even active because of the addons i use with Firefox. On popular streams its impossible to take anything from chat. For its rate of use is to high filling one to two full scrolls every second. Current system in Warframe is equivalent to this.

But this is a problem with Twitch, not Warframe. Trade chat is fine. The time limit on messages makes it so the spam is easily managed. Like others have said, if your messages are being ignored, it's a problem with the message and not the chat system. People are willfully ignoring you, they're not missing your message.