Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Alt Helmet] Nova helmet ideas

[DE]Artarrwen

I finally got to designing a helmet for Nova.

And I ended up with six of them.

kmJtJJi.jpg

So I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with. pls halp

p.s. Given that Round 3 is far, far ahead I might do more than one (depends if DE bring some interesting stuff to work with for round 3); ideally I'd love to model all of them but that's unlikely.

On 27.02.2016 at 11:25 PM, Nachino said:

1 and 5 look really nice to me. Number 1 seems to be the most popular so far.

Well what I can tell is that 2 and 4 are the least popular and can be safely discarded for now. 3 perhaps as well.

That leaves 1, 5 and 6. I like them all equally so to decide which gets preference I might as well flip some coins I guess.

Edited by Artarrwen
i don't know anymore

I don't like the lumpiness of the front of 1, 2, or 6 at all. I much prefer the smooth curve of 3, 4, and 5.

As for the back of the helmet, I like 2, 4, and 6 pretty equally.

Edit: Here is my preferred design:

fvp.png

That is the front of 4 and the back of 2.

Also, I hate certain things about this new post editor... It is transforming my urls into links automatically even though they are inside of image tags already... I had to use the 'Insert Image' button in order to get it to work correctly.

Edit 2: Here is a second version with a little bit more bulge in the front. I like it better:

fvq.png

Edit 3: Similarly, here is back 1 on front 4. I'm not sure it feels like Nova, but I like it.

fvr.png

Edited by egregiousRac

18 hours ago, Artarrwen said:

Well what I can tell is that 2 and 4 are the least popular and can be safely discarded for now. 3 perhaps as well.

That leaves 1, 5 and 6. I like them all equally so to decide which gets preference I might as well flip some coins I guess.

Can you consider 3 as well? I'll admit that I reallylike the smooth plate design and like how the sides look like they're "digging into it," not to mention the back looks nice. It's my opinion though.

I like the forms in 6 the most, but would like to encourage you to add a little more "chin" jutting out. Wouldn't pull the form in further than the diameter of the neck anywhere either. More volume in the front overall would help I think!

You might want to think about adding some more hardsurface mechanical bits too, esp. around the energy jets. 

Love dese sketches :D

1 hour ago, egregiousRac said:

Already did one mixture of them above:
fvr.png

Is there a different mixture you have in mind?

yeah the image I had in my mind was that it kept the shape of #1 with the vents of #4 melded into/slightly behind the shield ears of 1.

42 minutes ago, McDuffMan said:

yeah the image I had in my mind was that it kept the shape of #1 with the vents of #4 melded into/slightly behind the shield ears of 1.

Wow, this really turned into a badass looking helmet...

fx0.png

And with the top being from the other helm because the above version just looks weirder and weirder as I look at it:

fx3.png

Edited by egregiousRac

3 hours ago, Artarrwen said:

Somehow I don't feel like I should or could just take what egregiousRac remixed and roll with it.

Anyway, thanks for all of your input. It might be a while until something comes out of this.

It's still your concept art. I didn't draw a single stroke. ;)

Really though, all I am doing is trying to expand the variety by seeing elements in a different context. I must applaud you on your consistancy, which made cutting them together quite easy. Just trying to help!