Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Crashes to black screen, forced to shutdown

royberger

I use to have this issue with my gtx 770. I solved most of the crashes by disabling tessellation, physx and depth of field(also motion blur but that is personal preference) in warframe.

Although unclocking my GPU to reference (below factory settings) also helped remove the few remaining crashes.

6 minutes ago, qeuu said:

I use to have this issue with my gtx 770. I solved most of the crashes by disabling tessellation, physx and depth of field(also motion blur but that is personal preference) in warframe.

Although unclocking my GPU to reference (below factory settings) also helped remove the few remaining crashes.

But I have been using the same settings for a long time.

My GPU is not under heavy loading while playing Warframe.

If I let it go without FPS limit, game can run 450+ FPS. If I cap it at 200 FPS, GPU load is around 50% at max for warframe.

And I have trouble to produce similar issue for other games with more GPU consumption.

Edited by aerosoul1337

I have no idea what causes the crashes but disabling those settings reduced the number/frequency of crashes for me. Its worth a try to see if it helps.

My graphics card is not the most stable card to begin with but this issue doesn't appear to be about GPU load as last time i checked my GPU load was no where near 100% unless i was running at 5760*1080.

Also i have noticed that between warframe updates and GPU driver updates the stability varies a lot.

33 minutes ago, qeuu said:

I have no idea what causes the crashes but disabling those settings reduced the number/frequency of crashes for me. Its worth a try to see if it helps.

My graphics card is not the most stable card to begin with but this issue doesn't appear to be about GPU load as last time i checked my GPU load was no where near 100% unless i was running at 5760*1080.

Also i have noticed that between warframe updates and GPU driver updates the stability varies a lot.

I don't update drivers often if games run fine.

Still, when it started, I tried a lot of drivers, but nothing changed.

My gameplay (Warframe on this PC) used to be very stable for a year.

And I even tried system image restore, even a full system rollback doesn't change a thing.

So this must be Warframe update issue. I noticed a lot of crash, FPS drop, stuttering topics as well.

I have some stuttering too, but that is not that urgent for me in comparison.

Edited by aerosoul1337

On 2016/6/16 at 2:01 AM, Cr4p said:

Annd nope, much less common, but Warframe again just crashed my Nvidia video driver. Still no crashes from any other game app, only occurs in warframe, getting kind of old :/

My warframe on this newer PC used to be very stable for 1 year, some update messed up something.

But not very much users are affected, so they haven't pay attention to this yet.

I remember a bug years ago that certain AMD CPU users crashed 100% of the time when hosting, it took months to fix that bug.

Edited by aerosoul1337

I've gone ahead and merged a few of the threads that have all been reporting similar problems. Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce these crashes locally, so ideally we go through some tests to try to identify / isolate the problem.

First, has anyone tried disabling Nvidia PhysX Effects from Warframe's 'Display' settings?

If that does not work, can you try disabling DX11 via. the Warframe launcher? Alternatively, try disabling DX10 as well. 

4 hours ago, aerosoul1337 said:

My warframe on this newer PC used to be very stable for 1 year, some update messed up something.

But not very much users are affected, so they haven't pay attention to this yet.

I remember a bug years ago that certain AMD CPU users crashed 100% of the time when hosting, it took months to fix that bug.

2 hours ago, Urlan said:

Is anyone in your matches using the Mios or other effect or ragdoll heavy weapons or abilities?

5 hours ago, qeuu said:

I loaded games with nothing but one weapon, a seemingly blank warframe and no pet or sentinel. But still end up crashing if using F6 for screenshot and or over time video errors.

11 hours ago, Urlan said:

Is anyone in your matches using the Mios or other effect or ragdoll heavy weapons or abilities?

It is just random for me, at least I can not find any pattern yet.

I can run short missions with pug. But sometimes I can't complete a quick draco run.

If you say heavy ragdoll ability, I remember a LoR run the host ran a stomp rhino build and spammed stomp all the time.

The 1st stage was smooth, then game crashed to black screen at the second stage (I was the EV role), I press alt F4, and luckily reconnected after relaunch, and my team managed to keep the core.

After that, I finished the 3rd stage without crash.

Edited by aerosoul1337

Just now, aerosoul1337 said:

It is just random for me at least I can not fins the pattern yet.

I can run short missions with pug. But sometimes I can't complete a draco run.

Once it happened at LoR second stage (I was the EV role), I press alt F4, and luckily reconnected after relaunch and my team managed to keep the core.

After that, I finished the 3rd stage without another crash.

I am sorry to hear that there doesn't seem to be a link between the crashes. It might be helpful to check the ee.log for the last handled line before the error and game dump. Support could probably use these to narrow down the issue but make sure not to share the log file with other players as is - it contains personally identifiable info. If the crashes occur on a regular basis, try to keep copies of the log files (make a copy in another folder before restarting warframe again) and try to compare the crash info and what the game is doing before the crash occurs. This could be linked to phyx type issues or memory calls and their might be hints as to what is having problems that might seem coincidental at first may have deeper meaning.

Just now, Urlan said:

I am sorry to hear that there doesn't seem to be a link between the crashes. It might be helpful to check the ee.log for the last handled line before the error and game dump. Support could probably use these to narrow down the issue but make sure not to share the log file with other players as is - it contains personally identifiable info. If the crashes occur on a regular basis, try to keep copies of the log files (make a copy in another folder before restarting warframe again) and try to compare the crash info and what the game is doing before the crash occurs. This could be linked to phyx type issues or memory calls and their might be hints as to what is having problems that might seem coincidental at first may have deeper meaning.

Already reported this for a while.

All those files are sent already, unfortunately support can't find the clue.

Since it is not a usual game client crash, but warframe causes display driver to crash.

The thing causing the display driver to crash can be related to the resource calls in the game, which textures are being used and whether they are compatible with the direct x being used, and the physx particles. I do not doubt this problem is one you have reported a bit, but you might find the hints as to what is causing the crash are still in the logs before you get back into the game. TDR can be caused by faulty device RAM, heat, or as is probably the case here - a bad call or mishandled memory in the game. If we can figure what is the common issue, and direct that to support, they might be able to fix it.

For instance, with the insufficient video memory issue, the game is loading texture memory to the video ram it seems, causing an overflow. In the relay for example, on a 32 bit OS with direct x 9, the video buffer gets overloaded pretty fast with just a few extra players involved in just a few minutes usually. A 64 bit OS will overflow from the same issue in over an hour, because as far as I can tell from the error, the custom decorations are getting loaded to video ram but not being unloaded so it keeps building up and doesn't unload well. Pavlov caused similar issues and still might with some users, as it loads some of the moon specific textures and then doesn't unload them or given the error logs, not the same size of those particular files.

With a support member in this very thread, the issues might get the focus they need. While it doesn't correct the issues involved, I have found that users going into the launcher and disabling Direct x10 and sometimes 64 bit mode can help. Then going through and turning down graphic settings until the crash happens less then turning them back on to find the troublesome setting. Also, if you are using Soundblaster audio, try turning off the card's enhanced effects in your control panel's sound settings. I found that the ever since the reverb rework, all but perhaps the newest pci-express soundblasters get nasty memory leaks after extended use of rapid fire sound effects (Like the Gorgon Series) in-game with soundblasters. Maybe that might help.

On 2016/7/5 at 3:16 AM, [DE]Dmitri said:

I've gone ahead and merged a few of the threads that have all been reporting similar problems. Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce these crashes locally, so ideally we go through some tests to try to identify / isolate the problem.

First, has anyone tried disabling Nvidia PhysX Effects from Warframe's 'Display' settings?

If that does not work, can you try disabling DX11 via. the Warframe launcher? Alternatively, try disabling DX10 as well. 

I don't have time to test yet.

Anyone tried disabling Nvidia PhysX Effects? any difference?

I can not enable Nvidia PhysX after Specters of the Rail update.

Is this intended... for now?

My card: GTX 980

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have display driver crash after disabling Nvidia PhysX effect so far.

Precisely, I can NOT turn it on after SotR update.

• 2 weeks later...

Following this thread for a while now and tried all possible solutions mentioned nothing was able to fix the crashes.

But just how the crashes suddenly came they suddenly dissapeared again. (directx 10, directx 11, depth of field, physx on and had motion blur always off)

Not sure what fixed it but here is a small list of things that changed for me

-DE has been bringing out some updates

-Upgraded to windows 10 64-bit (did clean install)

-Cleaned all dust in my PC

-Installing some extra memory (cant be the issue because still running less then others mentioned in this thread)

Now i'm just wondering if any of you still had crashes after the Specters of the Rail update

On 2016/8/5 at 4:43 PM, Bonteaomd said:

Following this thread for a while now and tried all possible solutions mentioned nothing was able to fix the crashes.

But just how the crashes suddenly came they suddenly dissapeared again. (directx 10, directx 11, depth of field, physx on and had motion blur always off)

Not sure what fixed it but here is a small list of things that changed for me

-DE has been bringing out some updates

-Upgraded to windows 10 64-bit (did clean install)

-Cleaned all dust in my PC

-Installing some extra memory (cant be the issue because still running less then others mentioned in this thread)

Now i'm just wondering if any of you still had crashes after the Specters of the Rail update

Just curious.

Do you turn Nvidia PhyX effect on or off?

I have no issues so far but not running latest drivers because they were making one of my games unplayable, Elite Dangerous just had the infinite spinning ship bug.

I run on ForceWare version: 368.22 and running fine so far.

• MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard.
  • Intel Core I7 4790k CPU running on 4.8 GHz OC.
  • Antec Kuhler H2O 920 Water Cooling.
  • MSI 4GB D5 X GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics cards in SLI.
  • Crucial 32 GB DDR3-1600 RAM DIMM Memory.
  • 250GB Crucial SSD .
  • 4x1TB Western Digital Blue HDD in Raid 0.
  • Cooler Master G750M, 750 Watt PSU.

with these specs running fine aside from the latest Framedrop issues I got with warframe.

Referring to this: 

Chao, The Roaring Lion

• 2 weeks later...

As of August 29 of 2016, this just started happening to me about a week ago. I've been able to play, as it mostly crashes on menus (appereance of warframes, tenno, mods, etc...) after about 3 to 5 minutes.

This problem absolutely only happens with warframe, so warframe is the one crashing the display/gpu drivers. I won't invest one more dime on this game if something like this has not been fixed for such a long time. I've seen threads on this same problem as old as 2014, and there is no answer from DE.

Edited by Robscura

Not long after one of the the updates/hotfixes after SOTR was released, I began having this problem. It has happened multiple times in various parts of the game (loading a mission, in a mission, while within the orbiter or a menu, etc). The screen goes black and while the underlying OS does not appear to lock up (num lock can still be toggled as indicated by keyboard LED), it appears to crash the video drivers and they do not recover properly.

The following errors were found in the system event logs before I hard-rebooted the system:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Application Warframe.x64.e has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.

Prior to a somewhat recent SOTR update/hotfix, I would occasionally have a similar issue happen but I was able to recover without a hardware reboot of the system. I could Alt+Tab, use the Windows key, or Ctrl+Alt+Del and manually kill the Warframe process and restart it.This no longer works.

This does not look like a hardware or cooling issue to me as it only happens in Warframe and have had no other issues in other high GPU/resource intensive games. My system temps (GPU and CPU) under high load are all well under a set emergency threshold I have configured in the BIOS in case of fan/cooling failure.

ETA: Have re-installed game from scratch, used DDU to uninstall drivers, disabled PhysX

System specifications are as follows:
Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel Core i7-5820K CPU (Corsair H100i cooler)
EVGA GTX 970 FTW (driver version 368.81 - updated to 372.70 on 9/1)
EVGA X99 Classified
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws F4-3000C15Q-16GRR DDR4
2x Intel 730 SDD in hardware RAID0 (OS)
1x Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Game and Steam library storage)

Edited by EwokMonkeyHands

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue here. It went away for abit after i switched off dx10,dx11 and 64bit. But after silver grove 1.2, it came back with a vengeance. I updated my drivers from 349.72 to 365.10, and continued to get the error ID 4101 in the event logs, after some more tweaking it actually got worse, on the event logs, it shows hundreds of error 13 for my gpu driver, and warframe itself will attempt to recover it seems, but it will fail and will cause a BSOD with a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error message. I have so far submitted many log files to DE hoping for a solution which did not come.

I have since reformatted and done multiple diagnostics, safe to say, none of the tests came back with any negative messages. Prior to my reformatting my laptop, I actually tried other games, Final Fantasy 14, Witcher 3, Street Figher 4 and Final fanatsy Type 0, all of which DID NOT crash after hours of play, in total I spent more than 10 hours testing if other games will crash. While Warframe was guaranteed to crash after 10+ minutes. 

Now after reformatting, I'm back to getting error 4101.... I am going to try and reduce settings again and see what I get. The only things suggested that I have not tried so far is downclocking and regediting the TDR settings, although at this point I am not sure if they will solve the problem.

System Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz 
RAM: 16.0 GB 
System type: Windows 8.1 64-bit 
GPU: GTX 980m

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem for 2 years, My graphics driver would randomly crash while playing, sometimes it would recover, other times it required a full pc shutdown. After so many tried solutions, over a year of new graphics driver updates...I finally found a solution that 100% works for me (also works in other games that get crash issues). The problem with warframe from what i can tell is it @(*()$ hates overclocked cards, even factory overclocked.

So the solution is to:

1. Download MSI afterburner.

2. On the MSI Afterburner main page, set the core clock(MHz) slider to -100 instead of 0. This will reduce your core clock by 100MHz. The performance hit is negligible like 3fps if anything.

3.Optional: Set 2 profiles on MSI Afterburner main page, so you can easily switch between regular core clock and -100 core clock when playing warframe.

4. Enjoy your game crash free.