Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Graphics driver crashing more frequent after 18.5

Sinaqui

Ever since Update 18.5 my graphics drivers have been crashing more often. Twice in the span of an hour today, when I had been almost free of such crashes for months before 18.5. Now, I know this is an issue with my hardware, or my drivers, but updating the latter doesn't help, and replacing the former is outside of my funds right now.

I only wish that I could continue playing the game when this happens to me. Most other games I can resume gameplay if my graphics drivers crash. Screen goes to black for a bit, comes back up, and I can continue gameplay. Warframe, however, seems determined to lock up hard should drivers fail, and this is really unfortunate. It forces me to let down my teammates more than the simple moments lost to hardware issues, it causes host migrations if I happen to be hosting because I have to restart the program, and with the automated anticheat system I never know if my restarting Warframe after a hardware crash will count as "suspicious behavior" to the system and end up in me having to find a new game to play.

I've been dealing with these issues for a long time, with many games, but Warframe is one of the only ones that locks up when my graphics drivers fail, and that's all I wish it would stop doing.

whats the graphics card you both are using i too just had a few random driver crashes i haven't had before startin with 18.5 and i run a Amd R9 270x.

I also just updated my driver to the latest and changed some video settings will see if it crashes again.

Edited by Draginair

1 hour ago, Draginair said:

whats the graphics card you both are using i too just had a few random driver crashes i haven't had before startin with 18.5 and i run a Amd R9 270x.

I also just updated my driver to the latest and changed some video settings will see if it crashes again.

Using a GTX 750 Ti.

10 hours ago, Steviie said:

I don't wish to hijack your thread, however any NVidia card users having this issue, known as Cold Crashing, check out my thread with a solution that may work for you;

I've tried both methods from you and the guy that replied, neither of them helped. :(

I'm currently using a AMD Radeon 5450 HD,and before this update i could enjoy my game,looting around and stuff....sure there was a little lag,but i could manage it...

Now,atter this update,my game keeps on crashing,and the pc isnt even that hot,even after the hotfix it keeps doing it....I tired everything but it keeps lagging hard.

29 minutes ago, Draginair said:

i'm gonna be doing alot of video testing tonight so i'll see what is causing it by removing one setting at a time.

Pst, I have decided to PM Rebecca about this, and they said [DE]Tim has been aware of the bug and he's working on a fix with the devs. :)

10 hours ago, Virtual_Anomaly said:

I've tried both methods from you and the guy that replied, neither of them helped. :(

Unfortunately for you, as I mentioned in my thread, your issue isn't Cold Crashing. My thread is to fix cold crashing. The other guy who also replied in my thead came to the conclusion within his OWN thread that his issue was actually Hardware related, and that he had a faulty PSU. And in your own thread I've noticed you've mentioned getting constant Kernel Errors. Getting a BSoD isn't a Cold Crash, it's Dump Crash where usually the error you're having is stated on that screen, it could be anything from HDD failure to a virus. 

A Cold Crash is where your Graphics Card stops responding, therefore your monitor loses all visual and it turns black, however your PC continues to run as all other components are still intact and running - sometimes the Graphics Card responds after a while, sometimes you're forced to Hard-Restart your PC by holding down the ON button. And the term 'Cold' crash comes from the fact the Graphics Driver stops responding despite not being an overheating issue. I'm sorry my fix didn't work for you, but it's not intended to fix the software/hardware issues you're having which result in System Errors, only Cold Crashes. And I only linked my thread here in case anyone currently crashing may not know the difference between a System Crash and a Cold Crash, and just a simple Game Crash, and therefore could try my solution if their issue was in fact Cold Crashing without them even knowing it :)

Since I made this topic, there've been a good number of updates, I've turned off DX 10 and 11, and I've done one other thing, and since then I've been having much better performance. I can't guarantee which factor is most of note.

The other thing I did, was I noticed I was having graphical issues with another program that hadn't had issues before. Somewhere along the line, either through updating my graphics drivers or something, Raptr was installed on my computer. After killing it and uninstalling, the graphical issues in that program went away. I have no clue if it was connected to my Warframe issues, but I figured it was worth note that uninstalling Raptr was one of the changes I made between constant crashing and not constant crashing.