Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Building Warframe: Infested Weapons

DE_Adam

Infestation should always be handled with care, whether you're properly disposing of infected tissue or liberally applying it to your enemies.  When Tenno do decide to handle Infestation in combat it's often to bypass conventional defenses, but weapons corrupted by Infestation are more than just swords that look gross or rifles with a few dangly tentacles.  They look and feel alive -- like an organism evolved for that specific purpose.

Lore more about the design concepts that inspired the latest round of infested weaponry in our latest edition of Building Warframe.

-DE_Adam

9 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Awesome, the devs verbatim used my suggestion for the Infested bow.

Too bad in-game it looks more like a toxic cloud than an insect swarm. Was it supposed to be that way?

^ yeah the cloud is kind of too much for me.....its blocking a lot of vision lately x_X especially in infested missions when theres swarm clouds everywhere

i really wish they made an infested carrier.....or a skin at least

Edited by sekushiiandee

Can't help but ask myself why Cernos?
I just remember seeing some decent bow concepts back on Devstream 37 and I had to do some digging.
I mean clearly these bows needed more infestation but wouldn't it be a better option than yet another weapon reskin?
Model #6 for example...

JC_BowIdeas.jpg

Source @ 25:45
Edited by Oranji

Well, it really shows that you didn't think about the infested cernos much, because as it is, it operates like a more accurate but less powerful torid. I would have preferred either expanding that purpose to become its own tool on the battlefield (such as a chemtrail i mean gas trail a la infested osprey that lingers behind the arrow's path), or coming up with a different kind of mechanic that is more in line with the other two weapons which are better matched thematically with each other than with the bow (like having living arrows that seek out targets, or a bow that causes temporary zombie motor control if you kill them with a headshot, with the corpse turning on its former friends).

Edited by weirdee

2 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

Awesome, the devs verbatim used my suggestion for the Infested bow.

Too bad in-game it looks more like a toxic cloud than an insect swarm. Was it supposed to be that way?

Our artists had their eyes on creating more Infested weaponry for some time now, and it was clear to our team that an Infested bow would be a perfect complement to some of the more unusual weapons we've created so far.  We also know that you guys love Infestation (gross!) and our Mutalist line of weaponry leads to a lot of exciting prospective weapons. 

9 minutes ago, DE_Adam said:

Our artists had their eyes on creating more Infested weaponry for some time now, and it was clear to our team that an Infested bow would be a perfect complement to some of the more unusual weapons we've created so far.  We also know that you guys love Infestation (gross!) and our Mutalist line of weaponry leads to a lot of exciting prospective weapons. 

Yeah, but I think this is really an example of the reality not matching the concept.

The in-game arrow spawns what *looks like* a cloud of noxious gas. I think it would be better (and possibly less visually obfuscating) if it was a swarm of insects similar to that produced by the Swarm Mutalists. The 'Building Warframe' article explained that it's supposed to be insects, but it doesn't come through as this at all.

In addition, the idea of 'baited arrows' is a great explanation for why the swarm would track it after it's fired. The concept art shows that the arrow head would literally have some wriggling worms coming off of it. This is an amusing and clever design because it's literally akin to fish-bait. However, in-game, there are no wriggling worms to be found on the arrow head.

Therefore, all the great design concepts that went into this weapon are completely lost on the one we actually see in-game. Sometimes reading these articles just makes you realize the missed potential.

20 minutes ago, DE_Adam said:

Too bad the actual gas damage is so weak though. Hardly compares to the Torids. :/ I like the concept though.

Edited by S0V3REiGN

I found it really awesome that all of these 3 got their own special "ability"! It made them rather unique compared to standard weapons aside from the stats. Just like the acrid with it's DoT that was very unique back in Damage 1.0 times.

I'm really looking forward to more types of weapons with their own unique surprises or mechanics!

51 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Yeah, but I think this is really an example of the reality not matching the concept.

The in-game arrow spawns what *looks like* a cloud of noxious gas. I think it would be better (and possibly less visually obfuscating) if it was a swarm of insects similar to that produced by the Swarm Mutalists. The 'Building Warframe' article explained that it's supposed to be insects, but it doesn't come through as this at all.

In addition, the idea of 'baited arrows' is a great explanation for why the swarm would track it after it's fired. The concept art shows that the arrow head would literally have some wriggling worms coming off of it. This is an amusing and clever design because it's literally akin to fish-bait. However, in-game, there are no wriggling worms to be found on the arrow head.

Therefore, all the great design concepts that went into this weapon are completely lost on the one we actually see in-game. Sometimes reading these articles just makes you realize the missed potential.

Yeah, you can do crazy stuff with infested weaponry. For example I've always wanted an infested weapon that would kill and "infect" the target's corpse, turning it into a mine that when other things got too close, it would explode the corpse into a cloud of nanites, lowering their defenses and stunning them or forcing them into a "panic state" as they flail about trying to get the nanites off.

1 hour ago, AM-Bunny said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this + 1

3 hours ago, (PS4)VariantX7 said:

Yeah, you can do crazy stuff with infested weaponry. For example I've always wanted an infested weapon that would kill and "infect" the target's corpse, turning it into a mine that when other things got too close, it would explode the corpse into a cloud of nanites, lowering their defenses and stunning them or forcing them into a "panic state" as they flail about trying to get the nanites off.

And i always wanted my paracyst secondary fire to litteraly eat the hooked target and replenish its ammo pool ;D (only available if there is no more ammo)

17 hours ago, DE_Adam said:

It would be cool if you DE staff could look at the actual feedback thread for once to see what we think about the new weapons :) Or any feedback thread ever please, since no one seems to care.

Edited by StickyBaseline

The first concept art image is adorable; the ideas are charmingly over-the-top. Some of them are kind of rude though; one suggests stabbing the weapon to make it work! Next time you guys are spit-balling infested weapons, try a more symbiotic approach rather than torture. All of the concepts with hives have the right idea, but maybe something... closer.

The second image is more humane but somehow it upsets my gut more. That one gun who's heart "shrinks" upon shooting? What a gross image! Would've been fun haha.
There's also the toxocyst concept. I didn't realize it had teeth!! I haven't gotten it in-game yet, so when I see the "wriggle" note I got worried that it wasn't rigged for it (the model looks stiff). I watched some videos and I realize that it does wriggle and life is good.

Some of these concepts look vaguely Terrarian. The bottom-right in the first image reminds me of the bee gun; the bottom-left in the second looks kinda wall-of-fleshy. 

The M-Cernos' hive fantasy is definitely under-delivering right now lol

The Lesion was the one that caught my eye in the initial announcement. I liked the idea of an infested Tipedo for some reason, even though I don't like the original that much? The connective tissue is great. uwu*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2016 at 3:38 PM, weirdee said:

Well, it really shows that you didn't think about the infested cernos much, because as it is, it operates like a more accurate but less powerful torid. I would have preferred either expanding that purpose to become its own tool on the battlefield (such as a chemtrail i mean gas trail a la infested osprey that lingers behind the arrow's path), or coming up with a different kind of mechanic that is more in line with the other two weapons which are better matched thematically with each other than with the bow (like having living arrows that seek out targets, or a bow that causes temporary zombie motor control if you kill them with a headshot, with the corpse turning on its former friends).

This. This. This. You are thinking of the imprtant things in life.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the game lore infers that warframes are made of infested flesh that has a transference link, I would like to see an infested weapon that has the ability to adapt.

We have chroma who can adapt based on energy color. We have various arrangements of infested flesh to other wise channel very specific effects out of them.

How about a weapon that is reactive/symbiotic in some way?

One example might be a weapon that allows you to transform it in some way using the alt fire button. A hybridized weapon of sorts. One minute it is firing a slow moving energy orb that has tendrils which reach out and damage several nearby enemies. The energy ball would be able to be fired instantly and hit only 2 enemies at a time, or fire it charged and the longer the charge the more enemies it could damage at one time - up to 4-6. Hit the alt fire and it transforms into rifle that has intelligent ammunition that can ricochet a few times to hit nearby enemies. The ricochet could be semi auto with a fire rate of 1 round per 1.5 seconds. Mods like sinister reach could increase the effective damage range of the 2 functions. Make it consume sniper ammo in both forms, 2 shots in the magazine with a 2.3 second reload. Maybe make the base damage type electric.

Or something like infestation took over a nukor and ignis, then some David Cronenberg level of body horror happens and the infested weapons give birth to a new infested weapon. It will generate a field that has a wavelike expression of the nukor but with an ignis like spread that will only fire in a semi-automatic fashion. The wave would have a slight to moderate repulsion effect on the enemies. It would be kind of low range - maybe 15 meters but have a 120 degree cone in front of you that is under the influence of this infested field. When you hit the alt fire it transforms into a shotgun that looks like an infested kirby vacuum from the 1980s. The firing of this version would be an inverse energy field as if the gun was pulling at the very matter around it. The visual for this weapon would be an energy field appearing on the periphery of the same damage area as the repulsion shot, but the energy would pull inward to a point 7 meters in front of you. This inward sweep might pull 4-8 enemies at a time and collect loot, too. A charge shot could be used for this alternate version where a quick shot could pull a lower amount of enemies and a fully charged shot could pull several enemies. Maybe the base damage type could be magnetic. It would consume shotgun ammo, have a clip of 7 with a 2.8 second reload time.

Another one could be a weapon that is like the zhuge or attica. In its first form, it could use an electromagnetic field to levitate 5-7 blade looking objects near the barrel of the weapon. It would be fully automatic and would propel these blades forward at the enemy with maybe a 20 meter range, upon hitting the enemy the blade returns to the floating position near the barrel. The blade will begin to return as soon as it hits an enemy which could be mitigated with punch-through mods. The fire rate could be 2-3 per second so that there is time for a smooth, constant juggling animation where the blades are going out and returning in a beautiful loop. This weapon would be reloaded with an energy cartridge like an amprex, and this energy cartridge would power the field that manipulates these handle-less infested daggers. The alt fire transforms the weapon into a rifle looking weapon with a metallic-infested coil in place of the barrel. The infested blades would break into many smaller infested razor-leaves. The leaves would float in an aura field about half a meter around the full body of the player. The weapon would also be fully automatic, but would require a spool up time. As the weapon spooled it would increase the range of the aura and the speed at which the infested razor leaves circulated around you. At its full range, the weapon would leave a 5 meter radius around the player where no razor-leaves or damage would take place. The weapon would have a max range range of 12 meters giving a  7 meter radius of damage that begins on the periphery of the 5 meter area of no damage. The number of enemies in the damage field would effect the drain of the energy cartridge but punch-through mods would lessen the strain to sustain the energy field (thus decreasing the ammo drain multiplier per enemy). The magazine might be 45-70 ammo and would be replenished with rifle pickups. the reload time could be about 3 seconds. The base damage type would be slash.

These are just a few I can think of at the moment. If I think of more I will post here.

i agree with the general premise outlined here - the crazier, the better. truly crazy means it can be super outlandishly flexible, having uniqueness that makes it useful in combat, by achieving various things in a different way.
which helps more complex, harder to use than traditional Weapons be able to compete with them.

i was also not impressed with a Cernos reskin either. would have been visually more interesting if it was something visually different, perhaps a reverse direction, where Infested... stuff grows into a usable bow shape from 'scratch'.
especially since it ended up being a different style of Torid, while still retaining all of the problems that Torid has that makes it impractical and annoying to use in normal Combat.
(the big one being the lifetime of clouds, ~10sec doesn't cut it, game is too fast paced, to be able to have clouds ever exist in combat, they have to last a long time so that more than like two Enemies will get afflicted by it - otherwise you have to stop everything else and just constantly shoot in one place)

On 4/24/2016 at 4:03 PM, (PS4)Oddreign said:

The Acrid needs to be redesigned to look like an infested weapon. Right now it still looks like a Grineer weapon.

because it's a Grineer Chemical Weapon?
:v

it's not supposed to be Infested.
however there was a concept version of it that i prefer the looks of MUCH more. but still a Chemical Weapon.