Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Polishing Oberon

Flackenstien

Oberon is a fun and interesting Warframe who is a jack of all trades, but his lack of scalability makes him the master of none.  
Here, I will go over Oberon's Pros and Cons, as I see them, and follow up with my suggestions.  

SMITE
Pros:  
● Nice Crowd Control and Utility.
● Easy to use.

Cons:
● Poor damage scaling.
● Could use more synergy with the rest of his kit.  

Suggestions:
● Secondary projectiles now deal an extra 150 Puncture Damage.  
● Now "Smites" enemies, marking them for increased damage for a short period of time (100% on primary projectile, 50% on secondary projectiles). Does not stack.

Comment: The damage boost is primarily made to increase how well Hallowed Ground can scale as an area denier, but it also helps with things such as Melee or additional Smites.  
Also, I'm trying to make Oberon a bit more interactive.    

HALLOWED GROUND
Pros:
● Nice Status and Knockdown immunity.  
● Decent Armor buff.  
● Stackable.

Cons:
● Badly scaling Damage.
● No enemy debuff.  
● Armor buff only affects allies with already high Armor.  
● Could use a bit more range and width.  

Suggestions:
● Damage doubled from 100 to 200.
● Armor buff changed from 20% boost to a flat 100 added Armor.
● Hallowed Ground now has the following effects, which can stack with up to 3 other overlapping or adjacent Hollowed Grounds:
- Enemies on the Grounds are now Slowed by 20%.  
- Enemies on the Grounds now take 15% extra Ability Damage.  
● Upscale the rectangle a little bit for more leeway when modding Oberon, and for increased scaling when using Range Mods.

Comment: With Smite's new effect, and Hallowed Ground's new damage buffer, the scalability and interactivity of these Abilities should be improved greatly. Ofcourse, the exact values of these boosters may need tweaking for optimal balancing.

RENEWAL
Pros:
● Useful Heal.  
● Nice Bleedout buff.

Cons: 
● Is outshined by Blessing due to its Travel Time and lack of a Utility.

Suggestions:  
● Now instantly affects any allies on Hallowed Ground, with an increased Heal rate.
● Has a more obvious effect that makes it easier to keep track of when it's on, and when it's actively healing.  
● When a Healing Orb reaches an ally, it will release a small shockwave that pushes enemies back.  
● Halves the activation cost of the next Ability used by each player, provided Renewal Healed atleast 51% of that player's Max Health.  

Comment: When I hear "Renewal", I think of more than just healing. I think of starting anew, fresh and at the top of your game. The knockback gets crowded players of of a jam, and the reduced Energy cost emphasizes the renewed state. The reduced cost also gives Oberon more potential synergies with other Warframes and teams.   

RECKONING
Pros:
● Nice Crowd Control.  
● Solid Damage.  
● Drops Health Orbs.  

Cons: 
● Eventually, when the Ability can no longer fell enemeis, it will cease to provide Health Orbs.  
● Health Orbs scale very poorly.

Suggestion:
● No longer makes enemies it kills drop Health Orbs. Instead marks affected enemies for 10 seconds, 'causing marked enemies to drop Health Orbs on death by any source (not just Reckoning).  
● Health Orbs should heal by a percentage of your Max Health or scale off of some other factor (may require rebalacing the drop chances on Reckoning, Desecrate, and similar Abilities).  

PRIME STATS & PASSIVES

Passive Ideas:   
● Oberon gains a small amount of Energy upon taking Damage to Health or Shields.
● Bonus Damage and/or Speed with Hammers.  
● Increased Movement Speed while Melee is in-hand.  

Suggested Prime Stats:
250 Armor
150 Power

FINAL COMMENTS:
My goal was to increase Oberon's userfriendiness, scalability, and capabilities as an area denier.  
I wanted to round Oberon out as a Pala-Druid that kills and weakens enemies before they can damage your allies, aswell as protect and Heal your allies when needed.  
I believe that Hallowed Ground and Renewal should be Oberon's core skills.  

Please be sure to leave your thoughts on my suggestions.

Edited by Flackenstien
  • Like 1

I gave this post a heart. I also have a question, and you seem like the Oberon man to ask. I just started using mine again, and there is a weird aura that goes around his chest, I used him for the thousand cuts alert, and thought it happened just whenever I got hit, but it also happens in my ship, and in the relay. Did he get a passive? I'm not sure what it does. I have the sechura syandana and sigil on, this may be it, but I also have both on my banshee and have never seen the aura. It appears, wraps around his torso, then disappears. Is it the radiation emitting from his body like volts electricity?

Nice suggestions overall.

For Renewal though, I'd actually like it changed to be a true toggle (Duration can still affect healing speed),

meaning that its Health regen stays active (maybe have some additional effect when full) until toggled off.

A bit more Range / Duration on Hallowed Ground wouldn't be OP either (also visual upgrade pls, heh).

4 hours ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

there is a weird aura that goes around his chest

That's the Edo Chest Plate's effect, yo.

Oh snap, thanks for the typo fix, Zeku.  

And yes, I forgot that Renewal has a Duration. The base one is typically enough when I use it.  
I may add a change for this in the OP to allow you to keep it up for as long as you can, after I think it through.  

I thought of adding range to Hallowed Ground, but I figured with the buffs I gave it, that was enough. I think a range extension could wait until a change is actually implemented by DE, whenever they look him over.

This is all great stuff. Best Ive seen so far for an Oberon rework.

Tbh It'd be nice if the renewal of now kinda half got combined with HG. For instance in HG allies are healed per second like now with increased healing if enemies are in the field. Also of course give HG a considerable range boost. HG should also give innate rad procs to weapons(with no damage boost to not overshadow his smite augment) This will give allies a good reason to stay in the field other than just for heals/armor buffs.

Renewals bleedout will remain with renewal. Renewal will have the longest cooldown in WF skills-wise at say a minute. When you cast renewal every ally is given an instant revive until death which is also stackable. Allies also are given 2 stacks of longer bleedout timer for every stack of instant revive. So if you have 3 stacks of instant revive you have 6 stacks of longer bleedout which dont get used unless you run out of instant revives. Instant revives may also have a cap of say 4 similar to your own revive limit(excluding arcanes of course)

Edited by rawr1254

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.  

As for your suggestion, rawr1254, having Hallowed Ground heal wouldn't have been a bad idea when the Warframe was in its original development, but it's a bit too late, and Oberon already has Renewal. You have the new Renewal mechanic to compensate for the overthrow by Hallowed Ground, but that's overcomplicating things. 

As for ranges, Oberon is more of a Warframe who benefits from staying close to his allies, and even closer to his enemies. Range buffs for Hallowed Ground and even Reckoning would always be welcomed, but I don't think they are necessary at this point. Oberon has bigger weaknesses.  

Renewal should remain there as long as Oberon has energy, that would be more useful. And hallow ground, i think should give a flat of 250 armor instead so that it's equal to the augment mod of reckoning. 

While Renewal is active, standing on hallow ground will trigger double effect of armor buff. And renewal will receive increase heal rate like U said up there.

This should make 2 skill actively rely on each other for the greater effect.

Edited by Windy_Wind

On 3/11/2016 at 5:28 AM, Flackenstien said:

Suggestion:
● No longer makes enemies it kills drop Health Orbs. Instead marks affected enemies for 10 seconds, 'causing marked enemies to drop Health Orbs on death by any source (not just Reckoning).  
● Health Orbs should heal by a percentage of your Max Health or scale off of some other factor (may require rebalacing the drop chances on Reckoning, Desecrate, and similar Abilities).

I love it

On 3/11/2016 at 2:03 PM, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

I gave this post a heart. I also have a question, and you seem like the Oberon man to ask. I just started using mine again, and there is a weird aura that goes around his chest, I used him for the thousand cuts alert, and thought it happened just whenever I got hit, but it also happens in my ship, and in the relay. Did he get a passive? I'm not sure what it does. I have the sechura syandana and sigil on, this may be it, but I also have both on my banshee and have never seen the aura. It appears, wraps around his torso, then disappears. Is it the radiation emitting from his body like volts electricity?

i also have seen this and it is not an accessory i do believe it is the radiation leaking out of oberon like volt or nyx or ember or nekros.its an animation

6 hours ago, (XB1)KickassNinja14 said:

i also have seen this and it is not an accessory i do believe it is the radiation leaking out of oberon like volt or nyx or ember or nekros.its an animation

(The previous dood already said that ol' Edo was indeed to blame.)

Do you maybe have another Frame's stance equipped? None of Oberon's default stances have particle effects, IIRC.

BTW, who else is hyped for that deluxe skin?

Spoiler

oberon_goat_by_blibsergiogalli-d9nbiuk.p

Uh ... wait ...

Spoiler

4P5u1e9.jpg

... yeah, that's the one (though the former would be amazing also, heh).

Oberon 2.1

Stat Changes:

Armor: 150 → 225

Power: 100 → 125

Passives:

Oberon has a built-in R5 Rejuvenation for his team.

Abilities:

1). Smite

• Projectiles now cause an impact proc on top of a puncture proc.

• Smite can now target patches of Hallowed ground. Doing so will explode the patches of Hallowed Ground, causing them to explode for the remaining damage and proc radiation to those caught in the AoE of the explosion.

• Smite instantly kills enemies that have 10% of their maximum health or less.

• Smite can now be held down to target all allies and Oberon himself. Doing so will instantly heal all allies for 250 points of health, while healing 250 more points of health over 5 seconds. Fully healed-allies will be purged of debuffs. Doing this action will cost 50 energy, at base.

• Manually casting Smite on a downed ally will reset his/her bleedout timer

2). Hallowed Ground

• Now a one-handed action

• Armor buff rescaled to a flat 250 armor or a 20% bonus, whichever is higher for a specific frame.

• Hallowed Ground grants a Quick Thinking effect with 50%/100%/150%/200% efficiency. This bonus stacks additively with Quick Thinking mods.

• Holding the ability will cause the Hallowed Ground’s shape to be toggled between a radial form and rectangular form.  (Alternatively, it’s a player centered aura around Oberon, and it no longer has the interaction with Smite).

• New Augment: Hallowed Denial - enemies that enter Hallowed Ground zones will be slowed by an amount equal to their missing health. If the enemy is affected by a Radiation proc, this bonus is doubled.

3). Reckoning

• Reckoning now costs 75 Energy

• Places debuff on enemies for 8 seconds. Enemies under this debuff have the kill threshold for Smite doubled, hare doubly affected by any armor reduction abilities, and heal nearby allied Tenno for 25 points of health when they die. Damage of Reckoning is converted to Finisher damage if enemies are on top of Hallowed Ground.

• Base range increased from 15 meters to 20 meters

• Hallowed Reckoning zone mechanics now work identically to Hallowed Ground zone mechanics.

• Hallowed Reckoning zone AoE increased to 4 meters at base.

4). Sanctified Persecution

• Oberon pulls out an exalted flail and shield.

• The Flail deals 250 base damage (50% puncture/20% impact/10% slash/ 20%  Radiation) with a 35% base status chance, 10% crit chance/2.0 crit multiplier, and reduces base armor by 10 on each hit  (doubled on enemies affected by Radiation procs)

• Oberon also pulls out an energy shield on his offhand that’s 4.25 meters high and 6 in length (same as Electric Shield) and blocks all damage while blocking (not immune to AoE blasts).

• Shots fired through this shield gain +100% additive radiation damage and a 200% critical damage multiplier (similar properties as Volt’s Electric Shield).

• Oberon can press alternate fire to set down the shield (acts like Volt’s shield), where he’ll pull out a larger 2-handed flail. This flail deals increased damage, has an increased reach, 40% status chance, but has a slower attack speed (armor reduction effect is doubled as well).

• Combos with the shorter flail will utilize the shield (protecting allies in the process if it incidentally blocks bullets or projectiles), while the larger flail will have heavier and more sweeping attacks that knock back enemies,

Edited by SquidTheSid
Rev 2.1

17 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

(The previous dood already said that ol' Edo was indeed to blame.)

Do you maybe have another Frame's stance equipped? None of Oberon's default stances have particle effects, IIRC.

BTW, who else is hyped for that deluxe skin?

Reveal hidden contents

oberon_goat_by_blibsergiogalli-d9nbiuk.p

Uh ... wait ...

Reveal hidden contents

4P5u1e9.jpg

... yeah, that's the one (though the former would be amazing also, heh).

nope i have never bought any stances and i see this so it has to be an oberon animation

Oberon's biggest flaws IMO:.

2's armor buff is ineffectual in most cases, as you said, but the biggest issue with 2 is that it has no CC to keep enemies on the carpet and Infested even resist its damage.

3 is duration-limited for some reason and stops when you reach full HP, killing reliability.  I don't have an issue with the other properties of the power; healing should be more like this and less like Blessing's derpheals.

4's healing orb chance should be a mark that stays on enemies for a while instead of requiring the kill.  The blind mechanic is also weirdly implemented, to the point where it's hard to actually use it deliberately.  

I think 1 is ok.

22 hours ago, SquidTheSid said:

Oberon 2.1

Maybe keep your ideas to your own thread?

Or maybe start a new thread: "comparing Oberon buffs/changes ideas"

I already commented on a thread suggesting the Holy shield and Flail

in short: Oberon is a hybrid of themes: Holy Shield and Flail ignore his forest/druid theme. It won't work conceptually.

On topic: Very nice Oberon Polishing: I especially like how you kept him true to how he is, rather than trying to completely change his identity.

My thoughts:

On 3/11/2016 at 5:28 AM, Flackenstien said:

RECKONING
-
Suggestion:

Health orbs could use changes, as could the pickup system as a whole. But until then, why make things complicated? Just take out the health-orb middle-man:

-Marked enemies release an aoe heal on death.

On 3/17/2016 at 2:46 PM, SquidTheSid said:

Oberon 2.1

Stat Changes:

Armor: 150 → 225

Power: 100 → 125

Passives:

Oberon has a built-in R5 Rejuvenation for his team.

Abilities:

1). Smite

• Projectiles now cause an impact proc on top of a puncture proc.

• Smite can now target patches of Hallowed ground. Doing so will explode the patches of Hallowed Ground, causing them to explode for the remaining damage and proc radiation to those caught in the AoE of the explosion.

• Smite instantly kills enemies that have 10% of their maximum health or less.

• Smite can now be held down to target all allies and Oberon himself. Doing so will instantly heal all allies for 250 points of health, while healing 250 more points of health over 5 seconds. Fully healed-allies will be purged of debuffs. Doing this action will cost 50 energy, at base.

• Manually casting Smite on a downed ally will reset his/her bleedout timer

2). Hallowed Ground

• Now a one-handed action

• Armor buff rescaled to a flat 250 armor or a 20% bonus, whichever is higher for a specific frame.

• Hallowed Ground grants a Quick Thinking effect with 50%/100%/150%/200% efficiency. This bonus stacks additively with Quick Thinking mods.

• Holding the ability will cause the Hallowed Ground’s shape to be toggled between a radial form and rectangular form.  (Alternatively, it’s a player centered aura around Oberon, and it no longer has the interaction with Smite).

• New Augment: Hallowed Denial - enemies that enter Hallowed Ground zones will be slowed by an amount equal to their missing health. If the enemy is affected by a Radiation proc, this bonus is doubled.

3). Reckoning

• Reckoning now costs 75 Energy

• Places debuff on enemies for 8 seconds. Enemies under this debuff have the kill threshold for Smite doubled, hare doubly affected by any armor reduction abilities, and heal nearby allied Tenno for 25 points of health when they die. Damage of Reckoning is converted to Finisher damage if enemies are on top of Hallowed Ground.

• Base range increased from 15 meters to 20 meters

• Hallowed Reckoning zone mechanics now work identically to Hallowed Ground zone mechanics.

• Hallowed Reckoning zone AoE increased to 4 meters at base.

4). Sanctified Persecution

• Oberon pulls out an exalted flail and shield.

• The Flail deals 250 base damage (50% puncture/20% impact/10% slash/ 20%  Radiation) with a 35% base status chance, 10% crit chance/2.0 crit multiplier, and reduces base armor by 10 on each hit  (doubled on enemies affected by Radiation procs)

• Oberon also pulls out an energy shield on his offhand that’s 4.25 meters high and 6 in length (same as Electric Shield) and blocks all damage while blocking (not immune to AoE blasts).

• Shots fired through this shield gain +100% additive radiation damage and a 200% critical damage multiplier (similar properties as Volt’s Electric Shield).

• Oberon can press alternate fire to set down the shield (acts like Volt’s shield), where he’ll pull out a larger 2-handed flail. This flail deals increased damage, has an increased reach, 40% status chance, but has a slower attack speed (armor reduction effect is doubled as well).

• Combos with the shorter flail will utilize the shield (protecting allies in the process if it incidentally blocks bullets or projectiles), while the larger flail will have heavier and more sweeping attacks that knock back enemies,

Your ideas are nice but they do too much and the buffs are unreal if this rework happens Oberon will get needed within days.like they 440% efficiency thing with quick thinking and smite healing allies of 1500 health.that would make him better than every frame that he copies

2 hours ago, (XB1)KickassNinja14 said:

Is it just me or am I the only one who wants Oberon to be a focused more on radiation rather than being a paladin and druid who becomes Excalibur and valkyr best friend with some sword and shield bs.although I do not mind him getting a passive that works for sword and shields

I Prefer his Paladin/Druid theme. Though a radiation frame sounds cool, I'd prefer it be a separate frame entirely.

Sword and shield do fit oberon rather well, working with his "protect the forest/paladins protect their allies" theme.

But hammers fit his "bringing your Reckoning/holy judgement/force of the trees" thing.

So either is good.

On 12/03/2016 at 10:28 AM, Flackenstien said:

RENEWAL
(...)
Cons: 
● Is outshined by Blessing due to its Travel Time and lack of a Utility.

You've done nothing to fix this, and it's the absolute core of why he isn't used.

Secondly, Trinity is stupidly OP.

The simple change is that Renewal gets Trinity's damage reduction.