The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Isn't about Ninjas anymore, in my opinion

Barrett_Linwei8

I've come to a secondary conclusion. The problem isn't that Waframe's not about ninja (it most certainly is). The problem is that people seem to think ninjas were only people who ran around in pajamas and fought with extreme stealth. Ninja were front-line soldiers, assassins, thieves, spies, double agents, con-artists, illusionists, hypnotists and dozens, if not hundreds, of other things.

I've always been taken aback by people thinking that the scavenging and mercenary pay parts are somehow wrong.  

What are we going to do?  Wage war against two major forces, droves of space zombies, and abusive space grampa with napkins, toothpicks, and good will? 

Or are we going to extort colonies for protection money instead?  Is that the noble thing to do here?

1 hour ago, sniperbro-captian-PS said:

"Ninjas use any equipment to get a job done" Well no. Ninjas honour their traditions and don't use a fking shotgun to finish an assignment.

41 minutes ago, Ellthan said:

Ye, the rocket launcher that shots 3 rockets that explode 8 cluster bombs each fired by my 4 colorful clones to kill a platoon of enemies is totally ninja like.

12 minutes ago, NDarkstar said:

I've come to a secondary conclusion. The problem isn't that Waframe's not about ninja (it most certainly is). The problem is that people seem to think ninjas were only people who ran around in pajamas and fought with extreme stealth. Ninja were front-line soldiers, assassins, thieves, spies, double agents, con-artists, illusionists, hypnotists and dozens, if not hundreds, of other things.

The only reason ninjas didn't use that technology is because it wasn't available at the time. As said in a previous post, Ninja used guns during WW2 

Ninja's were in two words: Dishonorable Filth

Ninja were for Daimyo that wanted to win against each other and not adhere to the normal rules of Bushido and japanese warfare. The samurai wouldn't do certain tasks because it's against Bushido so what does the Daimyo do? Hire a Ninja. Spare me this "Honor for tradition" bullcrap. Ninja used whatever they could get their sneaky little claws on. Poisen darts, muskets, hidden blades, bombs, nothing were taboo for the ninja. They would stab you in the back, poison your drink, kidnap your children, or whatever it is they were payed to do. They were the biggest @ssholes of the time who cared about nothing but money. So I'd say that we are perfect representations of the "oh so great and honorable" ninjas of old. I don't understand why westerners get such a big kick out of them.  

Edited by CaterHowlett16

You know, I do find this quite pathetic that most posts are just attacking the topic because it is either a beaten and dead horse or it is taken way to seriously. Don't forget guys, it has been stated in most dev diary-like videos that the game revolves around space-ninjas, but we can also note that the term "ninja" has also been twisted by the media multiple times, too, even in games where it feels like the closest thing to a real ninja experience.

To respond to the OP, it was a "ninja" game in early updates, where the game revolved more around tactics than just killing mobs. These days the game has expanded so much that it has gone outside of its original premise and beyond (meaning it has become more about generic gunplay, ability spamming and a lot of kill counts).

"ninja" is a term that have it meaning stretched a lot from it origin mean. Literally, ninja is a "patient one", waiting patiently for the enemy to walk into a trap, patiently train an ability to reach a new level, etc .... So basically, you are a true ninja if you patiently farm for resource for 3hr, literally.

The word Ninja only serve 1 purpose in the very beginning stage of warframe, which is to imply that the main conflict in this this is not being at War (in a war-style game, you have a big battlefronts and move from fronts to fronts, in squad/ big unit formation). We are not in total war with corpus, or grinner, instead, we broke into enemy ship, do something in it, then leave.

DE use the word "ninja" was to counter the impression the word "war" in "warframe" imply (these little thing mean a lot when you design a big product, imagine a designer hear the word "war" and give us a battleship liset). Warframe is also not knight cuz Knight create the impression that we act to protect something (you could argue that rescue is, but our relationship with the rescue target is too shallow for it to be the case) 

In the game, you will never hear any NPC call you Ninja. I played this game for ~2000hr and never hear it aside from some pretty old-outdated trailers. When you are deep into the warframe world, you wont consider yourself a ninja anyway. We are the Tenno, the suit is called Warframe, we use any weapon we can get our hand on to get the job done. The end.

2 hours ago, Barrett_Linwei8 said:
  1. Guns
  2. Noisy Playstyle
  3. Most Missions contradict the Ninja aspects of gaming
  4. Everyone plays gunsblazing
  5. The fact you can wallrun, go invisible, and crouch doesn't make it a Ninja game
  6. Noisy Ability
  7. Tenno Honor is nothing more than being a vulture scavaging stuff
  8. All you want in game is money and loot....thats not honorable nor id that a "Ninja" game.

1. Don't use guns - there are a lot of other weapon types (including lots of "ninja" weapon types).

2. Don't play noisy.

3. Don't play missions that contradict the Ninja aspects of gaming.

4. Don't play gunsblazing.

5. And what does?

6. Don't use warframes with nosy abilities.

7 and 8. Fight for Lotos, not for loot and money.

If you want to play ninja style you have all tools to play this way: there are many weapons, warframes and missions that can be played ninja way. You're able to play stealth style, you're able to do missions like spy, capture, rescue and sabotage. So warframe gives you lots of possibilities to play ninja game if you want it. Of course there are a a lot of other ways to play warframe and some of them are more profitable but you can play for fun not for reward.

Anyway we have enough ninja stuff to have a slogan "Ninjas paly free".

I don't know about you, but when I played warframe for the first time a while back after being released on steam, melee was absolutely useless for the most part. If anything I have to disagree because with melee upgrades and newer frames and such it is more ninja based than it has ever been.

3 pages and 63 response.....wow if only my Warframe Concepts had that many respone in under 3 hours:highfive:

Jokes aside who actually agrees with me, the slogan is not good and anything that says Ninja in the game makes me cringe and messes with my ocd.that I'd like to know....because i wasn't reading what anybody said

Edited by Barrett_Linwei8

2 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

first of all, 99.99% of the video games about ninjas are not about sneaking around but blowing up anything in front of you.

Second, yes, we are now going back to the original concept of space knights.

See, i loke space Knights better cause if we were space Knights everything i just said would no longer apply

I mostly agree with you. I kinda like stealth play, but even if i can try going sneaky with loki or ivara, it's always faster and efficient to just run shooting everything. That has to do with the fact that most of the time i'm farming things: i wanna rush for resources, for void drops, for experience, etc etc. Only when farming focus with stealth attacks was a thing i was able to act more "ninja-like"

Changing the slogan is a bit of a stretch tho. I think we need some kind of "stealth 2.0", but meanwhile a simple extra for doing the missions without being detected might be enough to have both methods (sneak vs guns blazing) equally effective. Maybe a x2 exp/reward/credit? and probably in missions outside spy or sabotage (4 drops x 2? that would be too much)

The condition should be challenging, but not too difficult to achieve in endgame missions. Something like not letting the enemies activate the alarm or even see you. But still, that only will lead to 4 Loki squads rushing missions with bows. (again, that's why we might need a Stealth 2.0)

2 hours ago, Barrett_Linwei8 said:

No, im not, just saying what i feel is annoying

just because you feel a certain way about something doesn't make it relevant.  you have a right to your own opinion, but you need to learn to prioritize what's actually important.  Being that this is a game, a topic like this is completely irrelevant, annoying, a waste of time, and just extra fluff to add to the forums.  Also, if this is your big concern at the moment, maybe you should stop playing warframe, as there are much... much bigger things to worry about.  If you want a comprehensive list, I can give you one, but you should learn to take a step back and start actually investing a little more.

Edited by Firefly0037

Ok so I agree on this topic so much...problem is money and loot is usual in every video game so...uh..yeah can't go on that mate.

But yeah this game has been slowly descending to an action farm simulator and its..rather put me out of liking of this game. I've been playing this game since day one of the closed beta and haven't stopped since but lately I haven't as I've started to lose interest. I even use ash prime non stop just to get a bit of a ninja feel too. (p.s I love ash either way)

I remmeber in the closed beta that stealthing was...rather fun even though it felt clunky and slow but it was worth it. But now only stealth thrill I get is farming focus or doing spy missions...mainly on the moon for the harder feel.

Edited by Exlodian_Akitora

There are many ways to play this game, many of of us who prefer stealth play end up running solo or building squads.

There's something about playing the same mission 200+ times that tends to turn stealth and discreet play into boring pointlessness once you've memorized it's every nuance.

I'd say many of us are more Ronin than ninja but true believers in bow, melee and stealth execution of opposition still stalk the shadows of Warframe

1 hour ago, NDarkstar said:

Jeeze, THANK YOU! Like I don't know what bull crap fantasy some people are stuck on when it comes to Ninjas but if we are be historically accurate, what we know of the Feudal Japanese Ninja is that they where spies and assassins that Shoguns use to PAY for their services. They where loyal to their clan and their Clan's Master and that was about it. Aside from that, near anyone could pay for their services, either with actual money or some other incentive. Samurai used to fear and not trust ninja because Ninja fought with no honor according to historical records. They would assassinate you with a bow, poison your drink, stab you in the back, lead you into a trap, blow you up with explosives, etc. Many clans where always inventing new ways to kill their enemies and their targets. Ninja would even try to kill you with farming tools if they could, that is how the Kama transformed from a farming tool to a weapon. So what makes you think a ninja with access to fire arms would not use them if they are willing to kill with bows and farming tools? Most samurai where of the noble cast; traditional trained in schools and taught honor in dueling. Ninjas started off as poor farmers and thieves tired of the oppression from the up class of feudal japan.

Other than that...yeah. Few Warframes give off the Ninja aesthetic to me. To me it's Ash, Loki, Excalibro, Volt, Rhino (kinda), Ember, Nova (sorta) and Ivara. Mirage, Limbo, Vauban, Nekros, Equinox, Zephyr, Valkyr, Inaros, Hyrdiod, Oberon? All of them are the furthest from ninja in my eyes. At least aesthetically. Power wise...it's all over the place.

Warframe isn't the only game out there that features "Ninjas" that use guns. Ninja Gaiden is a good example of ninjas using everything from assault rifles to rocket launchers.