Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mk-1 Strun vs. Strun (not sure if bug)

(PSN)Zeylon

So, it came to my attention on a new character recently that a MR 0 character can't actually equip the Mk-1 Strun.  For whatever reason, it requires MR 1.

In contrast, the Strun requires.... MR 1 too.

This is just stupid.  Both guns can be bought outright with credits.  The Strun is superior in every possible way.  If nothing else, the Mk-1 should be usable at MR 0 (as it used to be when you could pick it as a starting weapon).  Really, there's no reason not have both MR 0, but seriously... at the very least the Mk-1 version should be usable from the beginning.  There are literally no shotguns usable at MR 0 otherwise.

I would agree, but the MR exp difference from 0 to 1 is.... 2500. That's less than the exp you get from maxing out one weapon. Unless it's a bug, which I think it is and you're in the wrong forum then, then there really isn't anything wrong. Just level up your first few items, and you can easily get to MR1.

21 minutes ago, Noreus said:

I would agree, but the MR exp difference from 0 to 1 is.... 2500. That's less than the exp you get from maxing out one weapon. Unless it's a bug, which I think it is and you're in the wrong forum then, then there really isn't anything wrong. Just level up your first few items, and you can easily get to MR1.

It is a bug, since the MK1 Strun is one of the starter weapons that you can pick up in the tutorial at MR 0.

Edited by Djego27

3 hours ago, Djego27 said:

It is a bug, since the MK1 Strun is one of the starter weapons that you can pick up in the tutorial at MR 0.

Mk1 strun was removed from the tutorial. Likely due to the damage buff to shotguns that made it way more powerful than the rifle and bow without mods

7 hours ago, KotoKuraken said:

Mk1 strun was removed from the tutorial. Likely due to the damage buff to shotguns that made it way more powerful than the rifle and bow without mods

Removing it from the tutorial is one thing, bumping its MR req to match the regular Strun (which was the lowest MR shotgun before that I guess?) is a somewhat different matter.

The wiki actually lists it at MR 0 right now:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/MK1-Strun

So, it's possible that this was a bug introduced in some build that's already been resolved on PC (or that the wiki wasn't updated with the bug because a crappier Strun isn't something people care about).  To say it's worse than a Strun is somewhat understating it.  The Strun does 300 damage, the Mk-1 does 180.  I don't think there's any real danger in new players buying the Mk-1 on the market (both are available for credits, as noted) and running rough-shod over the challenge of the game because it's so "powerful".

I wouldn't have even noticed that both were MR 1 currently if I weren't doing a MR 0 challenge run on a separate account.  Since I lack a PC account, I can't currently check if the oddity exists there as well.  I can verify that as of a couple of minutes ago, the "bug", oversight, or intentional design buggery exists on PS4 right now though.

I try not to assume things are bugs too often because so many things that seem obviously wrong (e.g. Primaries and Secondaries of certain flavors sharing ammo pools for no real reason because bringing matching ammo = less ammo or something equally ridiculous) have actually been stated to be "by design" in the past.

It's also possibly worth mentioning that without "at least" the Mk-1 Strun, there are literally no Shotguns available at MR 0.  Is that a crisis?  Eh... it means in a MR 0 playthrough, shotgun mods are much more pointless (only usable on Sweeper, and not directly).  Though some might say if your shotgun options were Mk-1 Strun or "nothing" - nothing is preferable?  I think on principle though, the Mk-1 should be available at 0 is the standard Strun is available at MR 1.

Edited by (PS4)Zeylon

On 14.3.2016 at 3:43 AM, KotoKuraken said:

Seriously? DE removed the shotgun option(that is a downgrade from the lowest dps shotgun in the game) form the tutorial because it got a buff to be halve way competitive to the other choices(honestly even the normal strun is not if you get serration for your bow or rifle)?

It does not make any sense to have both at the same MR level when one is intended to be clearly better. It does not even have a thing like speed trigger build in what makes the MK1 paris actually good for new players without mods, it shoots slower and deals only 60% of the damage the normal strun does. It does not make any sense to put it on the same mastery level then the normal one, especially since both are sold for credits.

Edited by Djego27