Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

·Hydroid Improvements List - Names, Visuals, Abilities & Augments

Navarc

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/06/2016 at 1:36 AM, SkullBlackAce said:

i agree hydriod can be a really effected frame with some tweeks and a damage output increase. hopely we'll get it.  

I don't think it'll be anytime soon, but I've put up as many suggestions that would help in his improvement when they finally decide to pick him up for a rework. They're going through many old warframes and stepping closer and closer to Hydroid each month.

i love everything here though i would love to pitch in some ideas for undertow here.

1. as with the aforementioned changes above, undertow will act like a whirlpool if enemies are alerted
  2. if enemies will attempt to save their fellow comrades from drowning in undertow and will attempt to attack the puddle... somehow (please give suggestions - i was thinking something along the lines of shark infested water with the blood of hydroid's foes spreading everywhere in the puddle).

on a side note, i think hydroid players should be rewarded for the patience to wait and strike:

"Water is patient, Adelaide. Water just waits. Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains. The whole of the world. Water always wins."

― The Doctor, "The Waters of Mars"

love your work, keep it up!

p.s. i hope this thread will grow! :smile: 

Edited by Aquasurge

On 14/06/2016 at 9:53 AM, Aquasurge said:

i love everything here though i would love to pitch in some ideas for undertow here.

1. as with the aforementioned changes above, undertow will act like a whirlpool if enemies are alerted
  2. if enemies will attempt to save their fellow comrades from drowning in undertow and will attempt to attack the puddle... somehow (please give suggestions - i was thinking something along the lines of shark infested water with the blood of hydroid's foes spreading everywhere in the puddle).

on a side note, i think hydroid players should be rewarded for the patience to wait and strike:

"Water is patient, Adelaide. Water just waits. Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains. The whole of the world. Water always wins."

― The Doctor, "The Waters of Mars"

love your work, keep it up!

p.s. i hope this thread will grow! :smile: 

Hey man! Thanks for the support but I was wondering what you meant? Enemies who just touch the very edge of undertow immediately sink so I'm unsure how it would function as a whirlpool, since the effect is so immediate?
Maybe if it was very slow and enemies trapped slowly sunk, spiraling and getting closer and closer to the middle and at the middle they're fully submerged? Is that what you mean?

20 minutes ago, Navarchus said:

Hey man! Thanks for the support but I was wondering what you meant? Enemies who just touch the very edge of undertow immediately sink so I'm unsure how it would function as a whirlpool, since the effect is so immediate?
Maybe if it was very slow and enemies trapped slowly sunk, spiraling and getting closer and closer to the middle and at the middle they're fully submerged? Is that what you mean?

something like that. i mean leave it as it is now for stealth purposes but when enemies are aware and alarm are blaring like in endless missions, undertow looks like this;

latest?cb=20131213095622

enemies will swirl around and will slowly sink while moving towards the funnel of the whirlpool. then the enemies in the funnel will be blasted down and spit out at the bottom into the dark deep blue sea. just an idea for some cc.

Edited by Aquasurge

1 hour ago, Aquasurge said:

something like that. i mean leave it as it is now for stealth purposes but when enemies are aware and alarm are blaring like in endless missions, undertow looks like this;

latest?cb=20131213095622

enemies will swirl around and will slowly sink while moving towards the funnel of the whirlpool. then the enemies in the funnel will be blasted down and spit out at the bottom into the dark deep blue sea. just an idea for some cc.

I don't know man, both Vortex and now Mags Magnetize pull in enemies in an AOE, it's already something that has been stolen from Vauban so Mag getting it is already really unfair - Hydroid getting it as well would just be an indirect nerf to Vauban.
I think the concept of clicking enemies to send out tentacles that pull them into the Undertow is more unique of a concept & works in a similar manner as it has the same results, enemies from further away are dragged in against their will and drowned, right?

11 hours ago, Navarchus said:

I don't know man, both Vortex and now Mags Magnetize pull in enemies in an AOE, it's already something that has been stolen from Vauban so Mag getting it is already really unfair - Hydroid getting it as well would just be an indirect nerf to Vauban.
I think the concept of clicking enemies to send out tentacles that pull them into the Undertow is more unique of a concept & works in a similar manner as it has the same results, enemies from further away are dragged in against their will and drowned, right?

yeah, i guess so. i'll try to think of something else in the mean time.

Yo! I fully support this thread - Hydroid is by far my favorite.

By the way, I have an idea for his passive because, frankly, the current one doesn't seem to gel with his kit or is in any way useful.

I think his passive should be that he gains a small amount of armor for each ground finisher he performs. This synergizes with all 4 of his abilities, and helps with his fragile nature. There are multiple ways to balance this - give the armor boost a cap, play with the amount of armor gained per ground finisher, lose the gained armor in nullifier bubbles, etc.

You could give the passive a name like "Fathomless Depths" or something similar - basically he will grow tougher as he kills enemies throughout the mission pointing to the boundless oceans from which he came.

also a suggestion sides me: ALL! his abilities can be switched on/off, it would suit them all and make energy consumption more managable. and let his abilities ignore healer buffs as they completely nullify his all-CC ability set and are usually responsible for him dying... wanna knock down that bombard - healer, just about to activate 4th to CC the dudes in front of you who are going to kill you if it fails -healer comes arround the corner AND you just wasted 25+ energy, want to save yourself with undertow and a little rest of energy? - healer gets into or near the pond, youre done!

or just plain nerf that stupid healer buff, its op as hell!

4 hours ago, (XB1)GrabDatFatCat said:

also a suggestion sides me: ALL! his abilities can be switched on/off, it would suit them all and make energy consumption more managable. and let his abilities ignore healer buffs as they completely nullify his all-CC ability set and are usually responsible for him dying... wanna knock down that bombard - healer, just about to activate 4th to CC the dudes in front of you who are going to kill you if it fails -healer comes arround the corner AND you just wasted 25+ energy, want to save yourself with undertow and a little rest of energy? - healer gets into or near the pond, youre done!

or just plain nerf that stupid healer buff, its op as hell!

I feel like his 1 being a toggle would simply get annoying since it's in 1 location. His 2 wouldn't really work either since you'd just spend energy getting stuck on corners and walls.
Then there's the fact that Duration mods would be entirely useless on hydroid if you make all his abilities toggle, I don't think this would help him, at least not that alone.

On 18. Juni 2016 at 4:24 PM, Navarchus said:

I feel like his 1 being a toggle would simply get annoying since it's in 1 location. His 2 wouldn't really work either since you'd just spend energy getting stuck on corners and walls.
Then there's the fact that Duration mods would be entirely useless on hydroid if you make all his abilities toggle, I don't think this would help him, at least not that alone.

Duration decreases energy cost/second, so no-not even close to useless, actually makes more builds viable as you can also go for low duration, yet hight duration doesnt criple tidal surge for example.

And the speed of tidal surge would just need to be adjusted to be fix at the speed of ~50%-75% duration. Would actually make it a better panic button than undertow as you would move, knock down enemies and be invulberable to damage, maybe even make it possible to slighty manuver the floodwave.

And barrage having a fix spot is fine, remember its his first? im actually afraid it might be op when its a toggle ability as it offers infinite knockdown!

1 minute ago, (XB1)GrabDatFatCat said:

Duration decreases energy cost/second, so no-not even close to useless, actually makes more builds viable as you can also go for low duration, yet hight duration doesnt criple tidal surge for example.

And the speed of tidal surge would just need to be adjusted to be fix at the speed of ~50%-75% duration. Would actually make it a better panic button than undertow as you would move, knock down enemies and be invulberable to damage, maybe even make it possible to slighty manuver the floodwave.

And barrage having a fix spot is fine, remember its his first? im actually afraid it might be op when its a toggle ability as it offers infinite knockdown!

If you ignore the fact that it misses over 50% of the time as it's RNG based & when it does knock down, it's one or two enemies, never the entire group you've got in your sights.

Having to turn one ability on and off can get tedious, doing so with ALL of them, 3/4 of them being immobile in a game you mostly move around or go to different destinations in feels bad. I can agree with two long lasting abilities being immobile tops. I really don't think this would work out.

16 minutes ago, Navarchus said:

If you ignore the fact that it misses over 50% of the time as it's RNG based & when it does knock down, it's one or two enemies, never the entire group you've got in your sights.

Having to turn one ability on and off can get tedious, doing so with ALL of them, 3/4 of them being immobile in a game you mostly move around or go to different destinations in feels bad. I can agree with two long lasting abilities being immobile tops. I really don't think this would work out.

But badS#&$ crazy stuff that DE will never be able to implement properly and wouldnt work at all at the end is good?

you act like those things you mentioned couldnt be easiely tweaked. (X projectiles per squaremeter) instead of the current (x projectiles over the complete range) would already be it.

yet i never had problems knocking down specific enemies anyway as long as i kept 100% or less ability range.

1 hour ago, (XB1)GrabDatFatCat said:

But badS#&$ crazy stuff that DE will never be able to implement properly and wouldnt work at all at the end is good?

you act like those things you mentioned couldnt be easiely tweaked. (X projectiles per squaremeter) instead of the current (x projectiles over the complete range) would already be it.

yet i never had problems knocking down specific enemies anyway as long as i kept 100% or less ability range.

We're on the same side, we both want Hydroid improved, you don't need to get so upset.
Man, you never mentioned you wanted to change how it would function other than changing it from lasting a few seconds to potentially forever with a toggle.
You should state all differences you want made, I can't just guess and assume things.

Edited by Navarchus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man I hope DE looks into this. These are all very VERY interesting ideas which make Hydroid more usable and fun to play. I'd love to play Hydroid but it just isn't interesting enough for me to actually go play him. The abilities are very much underwhelming and I almost never see anybody use Hydroid apart from Navarchus. DE, if you read this, (probably won't) please listen to this guy and use his advice to make him viable and more interesting for other players. #MakeHydroidGreatAgain!

Edited by Dwarcx
(spelling mistakes)

12 hours ago, Aquasurge said:

it would be nice if hydroid's tentacles could be picked up and attach onto hydroid.

I think that would change how Hydroid works a lot. Wouldn't it be too inconvenient if there was a hydroid running around carrying all enemies around so you can't shoot them?
I think you have to elaborate with details, man. It sounds really strange.

• 3 weeks later...