The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition for DE to support cross-console play

(PSN)ZXE102R

2 minutes ago, Dexerius said:

Tbh I wouldn't mind halting PC updates so the consoles to catch up I mean it's only like a 1-3 delay on updates after the cross-platform I really don't see a problem with this

No, its much more than that. yes 1-3 for them to catch up but then you can kiss good by to every update that isn't 'x' or x.5 because theres a fee to publish updates and a process for the consoles meaning your not getting updates for a month or most likely 6-8weeks

Just now, Dexerius said:

Tbh I wouldn't mind halting PC updates so the consoles to catch up I mean it's only like a 1-3 delay on updates after the cross-platform I really don't see a problem with this

The issue would be hotfixes.  PC often gets a few hotfixes on easy things that slipped through and these fixes are incorporated into the build that hits consoles.  If all were updated at once those little fixes would have to wait until the next console update could be scheduled.

2 minutes ago, Dexerius said:

It's all fun and games until the founders decide to play.....

My apologies for taking advantage of a good deal on Pt when it was available...

1 minute ago, xxcib21xx said:

my cpu burns hotter than the sun I have seen it hit 111C

Wait, im confused... Is this a mac? because it says win10, but has 'apple' in the name of the motherboard and storage? your running win10 on a mac?, if so why not just buy a computer. 

but doesn't surprise me to much since intel tend to run hot anyways

7 minutes ago, Katinka said:

The issue would be hotfixes.  PC often gets a few hotfixes on easy things that slipped through and these fixes are incorporated into the build that hits consoles.  If all were updated at once those little fixes would have to wait until the next console update could be scheduled.

It's not exactly that simple. The entire reason that DE is forced to release builds in scheduled increments instead of doing the exact same thing they do on PC is because of Microsoft and Sony's certification policy (which they actually are able to get around when it comes to certain hotfixes/bugfixes - we still get those sometimes on console!). If not for said certification policy, DE would be able to easily sync all updates and hotfixes on all consoles with only a minimal delay, which is imo definitely a fine tradeoff for being able to play with the majority of my friends who play warframe.

These certification policies themselves are what potentially face the chopping block if Sony and Microsoft decide to go full crossplay, which could open up the market for them a great deal.

2 minutes ago, Dextral said:

Wait, im confused... Is this a mac? because it says win10, but has 'apple' in the name of the motherboard and storage? your running win10 on a mac?, if so why not just buy a computer. 

but doesn't surprise me to much since intel tend to run hot anyways

Winebottler was too slow and parallels had the same problem. Bootcampped it to windows 10 on a partition of the harddrive. Game runs at 60 on mid to low settings but because of the low ram it freezes up when switching between programs.

There was at once time a Microsoft policy that prevented cross-platform, but it seems they have begun to reconsider, according to Geekwire.

The remaining obstacles between cross-console play would be whether Sony will allow it, and DE being able to sync not just the version pushed to consoles, but the changesets as well. This is a lot easier said than done, as each platform has unique challenges that have to be overcome, and their own set of optimizations.

When dealing with full cross-platform play (including PC), you run into problems with how rapidly you're able to update. PC is capable of a much faster update cycle and is probably also used to test things out with a large chunk of the playerbase before pushing those changes to consoles with all of their certification hurdles.

DE would love to make warframe a cross platform game the problem is that Sony and XB1 have shot it down, the petition needs to go to them not DE

this was stated on a devstream when they where asked about cross platform

Edited by kennylagenz

Writing Experience from past Crossing platform. Would welcome such thing but the problem is as follow. When you in program virtually combine servers the following problem happens: the said servers causing extreme Server splits, or some called it even black hole some even called it net split. Users get kicked into and be isolated space internet line between the main virtual system and server host. That said second problem is renting 10 different places renting servers and putting them together x crossing is risky. So it opens up for even more hacker freedom to alter information what’s processing from point A to B and delaying information between each servers that are rented. So all information that circle around from A-B-D-C gets then delayed from them and altered in their interest.

Before some start here saying naming other games did it more. Lets face it do that said games have linked information with your ingame active profile to server like in warframe. Have to say sorry they do not cause warframe system is refreshing on updating with the server every few minutes.

If PS4 doesn't want to Cross-platform, that's fine. XB1 players can come join us PC players in the glorious cross-platforming goodness.

The only issue I can see is the one where getting XB1 to update with the PC build instead of how it currently is. The consoles do tend to run a few weeks or so behind the fun-ness of the PC patches. But if DE can make it work, I'm down for it.

I'd love to see this happen. I don't even play Warframe on console. 

The main reason cross-console play hasn't happened is just Sony and Microsoft having their heads too far up their own arses to see the light.

I'm glad they're finally coming round and some devs are already moving to bring gamers what they want; to play together :)

2 minutes ago, kennylagenz said:

DE would love to make warframe a cross platform game the problem is that Sony and XB1 have shot it down, the petition needs to go to them not DE

this was stated on a devstream when they where asked about cross platform

Ok. To Sony and microsoft I go!!! And considering just a couple days ago they mentioned they were both open to cross platform talks, let's see where this goes 

just gonna come out and say it cross play between consoles and pc could work extreamly well...look at finalfantasy 14 for gods sake cross console and leaving out the original is like making a pizza and saying its not italian its just wrong you know it could and does work people would just have to be paient and you know want to be fair and it would just make loading times a bit slower but give access to a much wider community :)

3 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

If PS4 doesn't want to Cross-platform, that's fine. XB1 players can come join us PC players in the glorious cross-platforming goodness.

The only issue I can see is the one where getting XB1 to update with the PC build instead of how it currently is. The consoles do tend to run a few weeks or so behind the fun-ness of the PC patches. But if DE can make it work, I'm down for it.

Lol. I guess you didn't get the news a couple days ago about sony's stance on cross platform

It'd be easier to have Xbox and Playstation play together, but there still might be some issues as cert processes mean that the two consoles aren't always in sync.

But, really, a petition isn't going to do anything. If they could do it, they likely would have already.

5 minutes ago, R34LM said:

It'd be easier to have Xbox and Playstation play together, but there still might be some issues as cert processes mean that the two consoles aren't always in sync.

But, really, a petition isn't going to do anything. If they could do it, they likely would have already.

I learned 2 things

1. Sony has been doing cross platform for years with PC. So sony isn't foreign to the concept.

2. Someone said that DE said we would have to send a petition to sony and microsoft before DE would do anything.

If we try hard enough,  we can change the course of gaming. Everyone would win. 

They could make it work by means of:

1) Making both MS and Sony to get in bed. Was impossibru, but now they are warming to it, if it means MONEY. 

2) Have a bunch of code to allow players to see each other ONLY if they are only in the same client version. 

3) Have a bunch of code to restrict access to future content if the client is an older version, but otherwise leave conent in the account untouched.

4) Allow PC to have 2 game clients installed at the same time. The brand-spanking newwest "beta" client, where bugs are kicked, which is what we have now on PC, and a "console stable" client. 4 would be great for stability but could esvaziate the huge beta testing crowd we are so far. So it would splinter the PC crowd in stable(console)+beta(pc only). The gains are dubious. Unless there is economic sense, they won't do it.