Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Absorb

Hybridon

Question

Im posting this here first as Im not sure if it is a bug or Im just not aware...

When I use Absorb on Corpus it absorbs the damage and then sends out that wave doing damage, etc...

But when I use it with infested it doesnt do nothing, and when it ends Ill just get beaten to death. Yes i know Chaos is better to be used, but I just got Nyx, and while I was levelling I wanted to test the ultimate out on those infested and got killed on the 4 times I used it, 3 of them was testing it to see if it wasnt just a bug.

So any other Nyx users could they lighten me up on this particular move?

I didnt test it on Grineer, only on Infested and Corpus.

14 answers to this question

Im posting this here first as Im not sure if it is a bug or Im just not aware...

When I use Absorb on Corpus it absorbs the damage and then sends out that wave doing damage, etc...

But when I use it with infested it doesnt do nothing, and when it ends Ill just get beaten to death. Yes i know Chaos is better to be used, but I just got Nyx, and while I was levelling I wanted to test the ultimate out on those infested and got killed on the 4 times I used it, 3 of them was testing it to see if it wasnt just a bug.

So any other Nyx users could they lighten me up on this particular move?

I didnt test it on Grineer, only on Infested and Corpus.

Yeah i noticed that a long time ago and have mentioned it a couple times, idk if its a bug or not.

are you sure you just havent hit the max absobtion spot?

I play Nyx myself (and used this skill like 3 times ever) and am pretty sure that the Mod-upgrade tooltip says that increasing the rank only increases the amount of damage Nyx can take without getting damaged

Or is it the amount of damage before the skill wents off?

Weeeeeeeeeird. I remember looking up some Nyx videos before building her, and there was a fellow soloing Xini with her. Here:

At around 5:39 things get tight, so Absorb happens and works fine.

However, this was uploaded March 2nd, still in closed beta. It might just be that it bugged out in the meantime.

Now, I just tried using it against infected on Sycorax (alert), and it DID work. Kinda. It did significant damage around me and cleared out all the lesser infected (Leapers and Chargers).

I think there's a significant difference in my attempt compared to Chuey's, there - I had a Dethcube with me. And Absorb also absorbs ally fire, which the Dethcube was supplying in large amounts.

So I left it in the arsenal and ran off to test Absorb some more - used it 4 times more, and it still worked. The results were somewhat underwhelming, but I never fused the mod, so it might be down to that. I was fairly entertained that it blew out a window at one point xD

So, in conclusion: it works against melee for me. Lvl 24 Nyx, Lvl0 Absorb, placed in the upper right mod slot (who knows, maybe even that is important :P). Lvl 0 Continuity, Lvl 3 Stretch, Lvl 4 Streamline.

EDIT: I also ran off and tested it on just 3 Chargers and 1 Leaper (Lvl 20ish), thinking it might be the Runners or Toxic Ancient that give Absorb damage. It still worked, and killed them off with the exception of one Charger. Fairly confusing this is...

are you sure you just havent hit the max absobtion spot?

I play Nyx myself (and used this skill like 3 times ever) and am pretty sure that the Mod-upgrade tooltip says that increasing the rank only increases the amount of damage Nyx can take without getting damaged

Or is it the amount of damage before the skill wents off?

I don't think that's the issue here... The way I think it works (again, its the way I think, not necessarily how it actually works) is that Absorb has a certain duration (10ish seconds in Chuey's video), and during that it can absorb insert-number-here damage points. If it reaches that number, it just stops adding to it, and waits out the rest of the duration, while still protecting Nyx from all damage. Leveling the mod increases the afore mentioned number, therefore increasing the max damage.

Also, it's fairly clear that Chuey's Absorb ends normally, with the damage blast (which does nothing).

Edited by Archon357

@Archon357

I don't understand how my absorb does zero damage to charges but you claim yours kill them, ill try again with a deathcube and see what happens.

Also, in my video my absorb doesn't do "nothing" it does zero damage to charges but blows up a leaper @0:13 so its working, just not on charges from what i can tell.

Edit: Did another test [Absorb rank 3 + Streach] and this is what happened, pretty much the same thing, zero damage to charges but blows up a leaper for 14750 damage (you can see the damage number much clearer if you click the image).

wmplayer2013-06-1122-39-09-30.jpg

Edited by Chuey

@Archon357

I don't understand how my absorb does zero damage to charges but you claim yours kill them, ill try again with a deathcube and see what happens.

Also, in my video it does zero damage to charges but blows up a leaper @0:13 so its working, just not on charges from what i can tell.

I honestly don't know why it acts like that. That's why I posted all of my mod Lvl info - the answer might be there.

When I use it on Infested I have usually no numbers show up with some exceptions, now on Corpus numbers show up all the place killing them all and at a similar level or even higher than the infested.

Its bugged with melee, thats my guess.

Edit: Did another test [Absorb rank 3 + Streach] and this is what happened, pretty much the same thing, zero damage to charges but blows up a leaper for 14750 damage (you can see the damage number much clearer if you click the image).

Mighty weird. I got some work to do, but once I log in again, I'm going to run more test with different mod configurations, and see what that brings. I have a strange feeling that it might be down to the fact that I still have a Lvl 0 Absorb.

I'll post what I find out. If I find out anything :S

Ok, here's what I came up with:

Maps used - Unda (lvl10ish) and Brugia (lvl35ish)

Nyx Level 26, with reactor.

Absorb Lvl0:

No power-affecting mods:

Unda
2 Chargers - killed both
~10 Chargers - killed approximatelly eight
~5 Chargers - killed three
~5 Chargers - killed only two

Brugia
6 Chargers - killed two
4 Chargers - killed two
~5 Chargers - killed two
~6 Chargers 2 Leapers - killed 3
Shortly after, the hostage died 'cuz the window was blown open -__-

Lvl0 Continuity, Lvl2 Flow, Lvl3 Stretch, Lvl4 Streamline:

Unda
5 Chargers - killed four
7 Chargers - killed four (the remaining three were killed by a single kunai throw :P)
9 Chargers - killed two
6 Chargers - killed five

Brugia
6 Chargers - Killed two
8 Chargers - Killed seven
~10 Chargers 1 Leaper 2 Crawlers - killed ALL
~10 Chargers 2 Leapers 1 Disruptor - killed all except Disruptor and two Chargers
3 Chargers 1 Leaper - killed all except the Charger that was behind the hostage :P

So, yeah... it's spotty alright. Here's what I can conclude (note that these are on my own computer with my own Nyx, so this is only in cases I use it):

It DOES kill Chargers.

It DOES absorb melee damage.

It DOES NOT spread the damage equally around.

In all cases above, if the target wasn't killed, it wasn't even hurt.

The last point is what I think is the biggest deal-breaker. It just completely misses. There's a big issue with it's target detection. An easy fix (perhaps) would be to just let it go through walls by placing a huge sphere collider object centered on Nyx and apply damage to all enemies inside it. Who knows, that might just happen.

With power-affecting mods, it behaves somewhat better, but still buggy. It is non-consistent and a big risk to use, instead of a sure way to get out of a sticky situation. It neeeeeds fixing.

I made a load of screenshots, but they're mostly for personal checks. I'd rather not upload a bunch of uninteresting shots like that.

Here's the third one of the second run on Brugia, though - where it killed everything off - http://i43.tinypic.com/2ns9jrl.jpg (you can tell they're all dead by the radar - there's no red dots on it on the bridge).

I was also going to post the fully upgraded Absorb results, but it turns out that I don't have enough mods for that. Like, literally, if I fuse every single spare mod I have it will be around half way in the last fusion level. For now I left it at level 2, and I'll do some defense missions for mods or something. I'll do some more test later, if only for myself. I'll still post the results, maybe there's someone who's actually interested :P

Edited by Archon357

Fill up a support ticket later on later when you have the results with level 3.

My Absorb isnt killing anything at all, Ill try and record later on if i get the chance to play with my brother, so that I can guarantee ill be revived.

I know theres Chaos, but sometimes we just want to use Absorb to deal massive damage. What was bugging me was that on Corpus I kill like almost everything, just some of them far away dont die, while on Infested... meeeeeeeeh