Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr Rework

Tyr-Gymir

Hi guys. I have been using Zephyr for quite a while, and although i lover her, she needs a rework really badly.

Here are some of my ideas for her.

Firstly, Her first and second ability should be combined. I was thinking in a similar way to how you ground slam with melee weapons; Look down and activate.

Second, With the new slot, she should get a new ultimate. Tornadoes are really lacking and need to be put as a third ability, or even removed altogether, For her new ultimate, i was thinking something along the lines of a jet stream. It would work similarly to Inaros' ult in that it is active while you hold it down, but drains energy instead of health. while it is held down, you should be able to look around and plot a path, when the button is released, the path that you plotted by looking becomes an air stream that ragdolls enemies and pulls them along it. 

Any other ideas would be appreciated, Zephyr needs some love

Remove tailwind and divebomb. Gimmicky abilities that don't translate well with the maps. 

Turbulance becomes her second. Tornadoes become her third. Her one is new. Dunno what but I'll leave that up to the creative team. Her fourth, however should give her the ability to truly fly. She grows exalted wings that let her fly around freely as if on an arching, just not nearly as fast. This would drain energy over time.

17 hours ago, (XB1)DRG JupiterIvan said:

Remove tailwind and divebomb. Gimmicky abilities that don't translate well with the maps. 

Turbulance becomes her second. Tornadoes become her third. Her one is new. Dunno what but I'll leave that up to the creative team. Her fourth, however should give her the ability to truly fly. She grows exalted wings that let her fly around freely as if on an arching, just not nearly as fast. This would drain energy over time.

That's a lot like what I was thinking about.

My idea was to have her 4 be a Channeling ability that makes her float at whatever height you are when you activate it.  WASD moves you around while staying level, Ctrl and Space make you go down and up, and holding W+Shift makes you fly in the direction of the crosshairs kind of like an Archwing.

Having her flight channeled means you have to watch your energy and balance it with your other ability casting.  I've been maining Zephyr since she was first released and I literally just run around spamming Jet Stream augmented Turbulence and Tornadoes, and I only end up using Tail Wind in large open areas where I want to get across them faster.  Tail Wind's damage is negligible, and Dive Bomb just isn't worth using.

1. Gale Blast: Zephyr propels a blast of wind in a cone ahead of her. Nearby enemies are knocked down and those further out are staggered. Holding the casting buttun will cause Zephyr to channel and maintain this Blast of air while using energy constantly.

2. Hover - Toggle (Negates Tailwind): Zephyr hovers in mid air, and can freely fly around. Movement uses additional energy, and Sprint increases speed and energy consumption. Deactivating while aiming down creates a Dive-bomb.

3. Turbulence. Changed to toggle.

4. Tornadoes. These now flank Zephyr, placing her in a square inside four twisters. Enemies picked up are held inside for the duration, suffering constant Slash damage over time, with 50%/second chance of proc. 

Holding down 4 while Twisters are active will cancel them, sending enemies flying to suffer heavy impact damage on landing, and leaving them slowed and confused for several moments.

Augments:

Cyclonic Pull - Gale Blast: pulls enemies off their feet and toward Zephyr instead of knocking them back.

Blast Off - Hover: Casting Hover from the ground launches Zephyr upward, dealing Blast damage with a 100% proc chance within 5m of Zephyr's launch. Sprinting into the ground deals the same damage on crash landing.

Jet Stream: no change

Super Storm - Tornadoes: transforms the four twisters into a massive, cyclonic Superstorm centered on Zephyr. High winds stagger enemies away from Zephyr and nearby Tenno while also deflecting projectiles. Shooting the storm with shock causes occasional lightning, while Toxic adds Corrosive Acid Rain and ice will cause staggering hail.

3 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

1. Gale Blast: Zephyr propels a blast of wind in a cone ahead of her. Nearby enemies are knocked down and those further out are staggered. Holding the casting buttun will cause Zephyr to channel and maintain this Blast of air while using energy constantly.

2. Hover - Toggle (Negates Tailwind): Zephyr hovers in mid air, and can freely fly around. Movement uses additional energy, and Sprint increases speed and energy consumption. Deactivating while aiming down creates a Dive-bomb.

4. Tornadoes. These now flank Zephyr, placing her in a square inside four twisters. Enemies picked up are held inside for the duration, suffering constant Slash damage over time, with 50%/second chance of proc. 

Holding down 4 while Twisters are active will cancel them, sending enemies flying to suffer heavy impact damage on landing, and leaving them slowed and confused for several moments.

Augments:

Cyclonic Pull - Gale Blast: pulls enemies off their feet and toward Zephyr instead of knocking them back.

Blast Off - Hover: Casting Hover from the ground launches Zephyr upward, dealing Blast damage with a 100% proc chance within 5m of Zephyr's launch. Sprinting into the ground deals the same damage on crash landing.

Super Storm - Tornadoes: transforms the four twisters into a massive, cyclonic Superstorm centered on Zephyr. High winds stagger enemies away from Zephyr and nearby Tenno while also deflecting projectiles. Shooting the storm with shock causes occasional lightning, while Toxic adds Corrosive Acid Rain and ice will cause staggering hail.

Got some neat ideas in there.

Personally, I would keep Turbulence as a single-cast.  Trying to have two channeling abilities on one frame would basically just make her burn through energy at a psychopathic rate.  

I agree on that Hover ability, though maybe have the Dive Bomb be activated when you sprint downward and then deactivate the ability just to help prevent accidental activation.

The Augment mods sound pretty cool, honestly.

48 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Augments:

I really like that idea of Tornadoes circling Zephyr instead of randomly going off wherever it wants.

A nice on and off button (Toggle) is great to cancel and recast. Good comprehensive thinking dude.

4 minutes ago, AKKILLA said:

I really like that idea of Tornadoes circling Zephyr instead of randomly going off wherever it wants.

A nice on and off button (Toggle) is great to cancel and recast. Good comprehensive thinking dude.

Thanks again. Appreciate it.

My main issue is that dive bomb could very easily combined with her first.  They're both fun to use but somewhat limited by map constraints.  To this length, I also don't believe full flight would benefit her because of the same limitation.

Personally I'd envision her ultimate to incorporate a vacuum somehow.  Not carrier style, which I suppose could be added, but a wide, encompassing storm that sucks the air out of enemies lungs before releasing it back in a Maelstrom that hurls enemies away.

Good point about free flight and maps. Still, Hover adds another dimension of pjay. Not all maps are viable, but some that are...well, this would be handy indeed. Those Moon Base puzzle rooms, anyone?

Maybe give Hover a small passive such as a bonus to ranged damage when firing downward, or knock back while sprinting if you collide with enemies...

3 hours ago, (PS4)Zashukitsune said:

My main issue is that dive bomb could very easily combined with her first.  They're both fun to use but somewhat limited by map constraints.  To this length, I also don't believe full flight would benefit her because of the same limitation.

Personally I'd envision her ultimate to incorporate a vacuum somehow.  Not carrier style, which I suppose could be added, but a wide, encompassing storm that sucks the air out of enemies lungs before releasing it back in a Maelstrom that hurls enemies away.

Think of it this way: you build your Zephyr for efficiency and duration to support the Hover ability.

Now you add Agility Drift for 15% reduction to damage while airborne. The efficiency allows you to Hover around through most of the mission taking less damage, and Turbulence being single cast means you can keep using it.

On 23.03.2016 г. at 5:42 PM, BlackCoMerc said:

Augments:

I really like thise idea but there is one little problem. As Zephyr is right now when you enter, or even just get really close to one of the Tornadoes, your screen starts shacking so much that there is simply no way for you to aim. Another side-effect is that it could make you want to vomit...

Edited by AlphaPHENIX

3 hours ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

I really like thise idea but there is one little problem. As Zephyr is right now when you enter, or even just get really close to one of the Tornados, your screen starts shacking so much that there is simply no way for you to aim. Another side-effect is that it could make you want to vomit...

This is DE's latest version of "challenge" I think. Another misstep. Yesterday the screen shake gave me a headache after a single Draco run. I can only imagine what it does to some others. 

The game has reached a place where we cannot be left in control of our Warframes and challenged at the same time. So DE shakes the screen, throws up confusing visual affects, knocks us down constantly and cheap shots us with nonsensical enemies in order to add "challenge" where they cannot manage to do so in an interactive way.

The game is closing in on a critical juncture. Its time to nerf some old school Frames - even ones I love - and rebuild the game around reasonable levels of crowd control, before these cheap tactics make it unplayable.

This screen shake is just a symptom of all that.

On 24.03.2016 г. at 4:05 PM, BlackCoMerc said:

This is DE's latest version of "challenge" I think. Another misstep. Yesterday the screen shake gave me a headache after a single Draco run. I can only imagine what it does to some others. 

The game has reached a place where we cannot be left in control of our Warframes and challenged at the same time. So DE shakes the screen, throws up confusing visual affects, knocks us down constantly and cheap shots us with nonsensical enemies in order to add "challenge" where they cannot manage to do so in an interactive way.

The game is closing in on a critical juncture. Its time to nerf some old school Frames - even ones I love - and rebuild the game around reasonable levels of crowd control, before these cheap tactics make it unplayable.

This screen shake is just a symptom of all that.

I understand, but if those ideas for the Tornadoes were to be implemented in the game and we still have the screen shake...Honestly I am not sure if I will ever use that ability ever again!