The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Secura Penta, Soma Prime, Telos Boltor, which to forma

DarthJundar

15 minutes ago, torint_man said:

Jesus Christ, you are petulant. If you want to act that way, fine, I'll play by your rules. By using the warframe builder website, I made identical builds for each weapon. Serration, split chamber, heavy caliber, 3 elementals, piercing caliber, and vile acceleration. The telos boltor had a sustained DPS of 23,817. The boltor prime had a sustained DPS of 23500. Telos boltor does indeed have a slightly higher sustained DPS than the prime when using rate of fire mods. The prime has a burst DPS of 41350, while the telos has a burst DPS of 35080. The prime has 18% higher burst DPS than the telos boltor. The difference may or may not be made up by the syndicate proc, so it's up to personal preference.

As you stated, and from my experience: Level 120+ Corrupted Bombards go down slightly faster with the Boltor P than Telos Boltor. I have both mine 4 forma'd and built the same... That 1-2 second difference is usually the same difference between life and a revive.

Nothing is funnier than seeing your syndicate proc go off right as you're dying from a bombard rocket from behind. Personally, the proc is not a bonus because the health boost will never save you from the one shot death at higher levels.

Draco? Sure. Heiracon at the10k Cryotic mark? Probably not. 

Endgame? Nope.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)MrVersatal said:

As you stated, and from my experience: Level 120+ Corrupted Bombards go down slightly faster with the Boltor P than Telos Boltor. I have both mine 4 forma'd and built the same... That 1-2 second difference is usually the same difference between life and a revive.

Nothing is funnier than seeing your syndicate proc go off right as you're dying from a bombard rocket from behind. Personally, the proc is not a bonus because the health boost will never save you from the one shot death at higher levels.

Draco? Sure. Heiracon at the10k Cryotic mark? Probably not. 

Endgame? Nope.

An 18% higher burst DPS means that if it takes the prime 7 seconds to kill something, it will take the telos 8 seconds. However, that scenario of 7 versus 8 seconds never happens, because with vile acceleration, the prime eats its magazine in 3.2 seconds, while the telos eats through it 5 seconds. If it takes more than a magazine to take down a group of enemies, the sustained DPS takes over, which the telos has the edge. With the build I showed, assuming identical performance in terms of headshots and accuracy, the situation which you describe is impossible. In order to have a "1-2 second difference" you would need to have a magazine that's double the size in order for the prime's burst DPS edge to make that much difference.

Draco? Doesn't matter. The high levels where the prime can still kill groups of enemies in a single clip? Prime slightly better. Endgame? Telos slightly better.

All three wouldn't be waste of Forma, and I have shoved multiple Formas into my own Soma Prime and Secura Penta.  I know some of the Boltor-type weapons are quite powerful, I'm not a fan of them so I didn't bother to forma my Boltor P or Telos Boltor, but I found the syndicate proc of Telos Boltor was quite useful when I was leveling it up for mastery.  I don't know what's your play style or what you're looking for in these weapons, but I went with Soma Prime first because syndicate primaries were release way after Soma P and because for me it's the most reliable weapon and it's most well suited to my own play style.  

It's up to you really.  Whichever weapon you like the best, forma it first.  I'm sure you'll get plenty more Forma in the future and you can forma the others later.

Edited by xiaodenden

1 hour ago, torint_man said:

An 18% higher burst DPS means that if it takes the prime 7 seconds to kill something, it will take the telos 8 seconds. However, that scenario of 7 versus 8 seconds never happens, because with vile acceleration, the prime eats its magazine in 3.2 seconds, while the telos eats through it 5 seconds. If it takes more than a magazine to take down a group of enemies, the sustained DPS takes over, which the telos has the edge. With the build I showed, assuming identical performance in terms of headshots and accuracy, the situation which you describe is impossible. In order to have a "1-2 second difference" you would need to have a magazine that's double the size in order for the prime's burst DPS edge to make that much difference.

Draco? Doesn't matter. The high levels where the prime can still kill groups of enemies in a single clip? Prime slightly better. Endgame? Telos slightly better.

Now I don't regret all those forma lol

I would go with SomaP, because the crits could get you very far, especially if you got either bladed rounds or argon scope. Tonkor can be more useful than the Secura Penta due to its crits and its ability to not kill the user as well as the aim guidance. Telos Boltor is considered either a sidegrade or downgrade from the boltorP, as it has a larger magazine and the truth affect, but has lower damage, accuracy and projectile speed according to the wiki. But SomaP is more of a safer bet.

1 hour ago, torint_man said:

I appreciate the statistics,  I truly do. Like I said in my post, my impression was based off of my  experience. All those countless hours in the void, all the grinding, all the time I've invested into each frame and weapon, testing different methods that enabled me to maximize my survivability... It was that that formed my opinion. My opinion may differ from yours, but then again: mileage may vary depending on play style. 

secura penta i have with 6 forma...its medicore wepon...i am expect that  wepon will do much more dmg....soma prime is great gun... i put 6 forma in it to to get max from it.both wepon i use heavy calibar max with 90%elements

4 hours ago, DarthJundar said:

I would like to add to this

latron wraith or latron prime 

The Wraith.

For a long time it was my goto weapon for T3/4 contend before i picked up a broader range of weapons.

Edited by AzureTerra

Dps is theoretical. For me, the telos is not very accurate (and seems slower) and I am less likely to hit exactly where I am aiming for. The proc is nice but not useful if it goes off when no one is around. Already have 6 forma in my prime so not bothering with the telos just yet. But, to answer the question at hand, for end game I always go tonkor. When everyone elses weapons arent doing jack I'm still killing heavies. 

Actually it's a playstyle thing.  The three weapons you've mentioned each have their strengths and weaknesses.  Personally I have the Telos Boltor and Soma Prime all forma maxed and don't even have my Secura Penta potato'ed.  That's because I'm not good at using that weapon and it makes me become more of a liability to the team. (killing myself by accident, etc.)

Sorry if it's a generic reply, but you should take each weapon to Earth (because it's low level enough to run the weapons un-modded), and then forma whichever weapon you enjoy the most.

Edited by sushidubya

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Tesseract7777 said:

Actually this has never been "settled" the way you claim (or "disproven", lol), so it's actually your outlandish claim that needs to be verified not mine. Many experienced players have come to the conclusion that it's not a "downgrade" as you say, and no the community has never come to the conclusion in any demonstrable way that the Boltor Prime is simply a "better gun" overall. The problem is that things like syndicate procs are too nebulous, and the advantage of more sustained dps is hard to calculate. If it were so easily proveable that you are right, you would be able to prove it. Instead you just state that you don't have too. Unless you can back up your statement with math, it's no more valid than mine. 

Sure, you can claim all you want about me not proving anything EITHER, but you are acting so high and mighty and sure, but you won't give the math and explain how even with the syndicate proc and bigger mag, that it is simply not as good as Boltor Prime overall. You should be able to explain yourself. I actually did give some reasoning, although I didn't give the numbers, as to why they are sidegrades. 

Your evidence is simply that "you are right and it's settled". LOL. 

There's only a handful of people who don't know any better clinging to the syndicate Boltor. So yes, disproven.

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 11:22 PM, torint_man said:

Jesus Christ, you are petulant. If you want to act that way, fine, I'll play by your rules. By using the warframe builder website, I made identical builds for each weapon. Serration, split chamber, heavy caliber, 3 elementals, piercing caliber, and vile acceleration. The telos boltor had a sustained DPS of 23,817. The boltor prime had a sustained DPS of 23500. Telos boltor does indeed have a slightly higher sustained DPS than the prime when using rate of fire mods. The prime has a burst DPS of 41350, while the telos has a burst DPS of 35080. The prime has 18% higher burst DPS than the telos boltor. The difference may or may not be made up by the syndicate proc, so it's up to personal preference.

Like this hilarious statement involving Vile Acceleration on Boltors: rofl!  You give the rest of us a bad name; "GOTTA GET DAT DEEPS BRA! DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S COMPLETELY UNSUSTAINABLE! DEEPS DEEPS DEEPS!"

Now, simmer on down Fluffy and brush up on Warframe 101. The rest of us will be here actually knowing what we're talking about.

I'd trade that Secura Penta and Telos Boltor if they're still non ranked for a Vaykor Hek and Synoid Simulor, or a Sancti Tigris. The Synoid Simulor replenishes your energy and in long fights that is very handy. While the Two shotguns with Primed cards and modded right can practically one shot corrupted Vor, Shadow Stalker, and destroy Sentients with a good secondary backup while restoring health.

Until they remove self damage on the Penta class it would be better to get a Tonkor. Players are notorious for trolling Penta users by batting those grenade lobs back at you. You'll have to hang in the back lobbing shots, plus having a Kubrow can be risky, as they tend to get in the way as well. 

Between what you have though, I'd go with the Soma Prime. It's still viable for most of the star map, not sure about sorties though. I've got mine where It's a workhorse, or a stealth mission murder machine depending on my mood to run Spy. 

Ive seen Telos Boltor users defend their weapon of choice a lot on the forums. You might want to search those out, since they sound pretty convincing that it's a viable choice over the Boltor Prime, the debate on it is always an interesting one. 

I'm a big fan of any critical based weapon so Soma Prime is choice for me especially because the mods to make it great are fairly easy to acquire. I do now use Telos Boltor above Soma P mostly for its syndicate bonus and because I have recently aquired piercing caliber which puts it over the top because of it's puncture damage. Mix puncture with viral and it makes for an extremely formidable weapon in most situations.

212403For the last TIME

no more arguments 

no more giving me weapons that aren't related to this topic, because I've seriously LEVELED ALL OF THOSE WEAPONS. I asked about these three because i have a limited amount of forma left 

I went with soma p.

and the Telos is equal to Boltor p. I use both and never notice the difference in damage

Secura penta has controlled detonation and a radiation proc. I hate tonkor because for me it just is such a slow weapon. I hate having to reload so often.

Arguments closed. No more. 

Edited by DarthJundar