Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Navarchus

·Oberon Improvement List

Recommended Posts


sLDNZwW.png
Oberon is argued to be a druid or a paladin, people call him a healer or crowd control.
He's both druid and paladin, he's both healer and crowd control. He's good but not good enough at protecting his allies and saving them when they get overwhelmed.
I want to change him to be better at aiding his allies and control the enemy through confusion.


Passive

  • Oberon Passive: 15% Damage reduction to Oberon and all in his tenno affinity range, this number should be displayed as a buff in the HUD & the buff could have some visual signifier for the newbies who do not understand buffs, something like a transparent version of Oberons tabard as long as they're within his range perhaps! @Marbelik
     


Smite Ideas

  • Oberon Ability: Smite (1):  Secondary projectiles emitted from the target will after striking enemies return with a partial amount of shield and/or armour if the enemy had any, to the nearest ally to the individual projectiles - the overshields stay but the armour decays over time.
  • Oberon Ability: Smite (1):  0.75 Chance to drop a health orb if dealing lethal damage by Smites projectiles.

Hallowed Ground Ideas

  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2):  Can be used while running.
  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2): Increased stats overall. At the moment you're forced to stack them over and over for them to be of use when they could just be stronger so it's visually more appealing & less laggy.
  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2): Casts on location you point at.
  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2): Circular instead of rectangular.
  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2): Running into Hallowed Ground grants armour but when leaving it or when Hallowed Ground is despawned the armour will begin to decay based on duration.
  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2): Allies within it see their armour boost quantity (not the percentage, the actual quantity is what's useful) & it has an animation where Oberons horns/thorns/branches appear over the allies head, transparent and glowing with Oberons energy colour. Changing helmets will change the shape, cosmetic change only.
  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2): Static number instead of % on armour buff. +50/75/100/125 armour according to the ranks of the ability. Quantity changed by power strength. So that if you have 200% power strength it becomes +250 armour to allies within the hallowed ground. This change because the only ones who would be interested and need the armour buff Oberon can provide are warframes with low armour. If it's a 20% then the buff is always near-worthless in practice.
  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2): The hallowed ground expands, the more duration you have the more time it has to expand. The haste of the expansion should be slow and cannot be changed, but Range will as always increase the starting range of it.
  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2): Reduced quantity of hallowed ground locations can be made, 4. This deals with lag, visual bugs, visual unpleasantness and so on. Creating a 5th Hallowed Ground will despawn the oldest (1st).
  • Oberon Ability: Hallowed Ground (2): Increase base duration, it's far too short which is why it can't be used properly.

Renewal Ideas

  • Oberon Ability: Renewal (3): Can be used while running.
  • Oberon Ability: Renewal (3): Sends healing orbs to Operatives, Rescue Targets & Companions as well.
  • Oberon Ability: Renewal (3): Only stops healing over time if manually stopped or all energy is drained - not when allies or caster hits max health making it more convenient in battle.
  • Oberon Ability: Renewal (3): Bleed-out timer shows after having been increased. Right now it doesn't show any numbers as soon as incapacitated allies get its effect which is very annoying since we want to see the difference it makes to see its power.
  • Oberon Ability: Renewal (3): Hold down 3 to pay 6X energy cost to pick up an incapacitated ally, whomever was felled first will be targeted, only 1 heavy renewal can be active and no health regeneration will be given to caster or any other allies. See it as a different skill which honours the old Renewal system people loved but was changed due to abuse and imbalance. (This means 25 energy becomes 150 energy, the energy is consumed whether you succeed on picking up your ally or not.) 
    With the addition of Phoenix Renewal this would be too powerful & make the augment pointless.

Reckoning Ideas

  • Oberon Ability: Reckoning (4): Enemies struck by reckoning will take Finisher Damage from Smite, bypassing armour and shields. This is the kind of combo that would make Oberon incredibly fun to play. @NinjaZeku
  • Oberon Ability: Reckoning (4):Increased base blind range and duration to enemies around but not thrown down by Oberons Reckoning, right now a majority of people don't know it exists because it's so rare and unnoticeable that it's not at all what people care about when they use Oberons 4.
  • Oberon Ability: Reckoning (4): Mark enemies for increased chance to drop health orbs when killed instead of needing lethal damage to drop health orbs. Mark duration based on Power Duration, starts at 15 seconds and is changed by duration mods, lowest cap is half (7) and highest cap is double(30). 
    It's near impossible to do in later levels without timing things with luck and an AOE weapon to get lethal damage with it as it is. Health orbs stay to keep Health Conversion & Equilibrium builds.  @chainchompguy3


Augment Ideas
Oberon: Hallowed Reckoning: Reckoning Augment (2) BUFF  NPCs & allies who walk through these fields get the effect as a buff and don't have to stand still in them for the +250 (at max rank) armour bonus. Still only lasts 10 seconds.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Oberon Passive Idea 1: When being revived or reviving, a barricade with an energy net that goes up to warframe chest height appears for 6 seconds

Dunno, AoE and headshots would still easily cut any reviving efforts short
(also, the revivee not being able to damage enemies ... can't say I like that).

The second option seems better but radial CC is already covered by Reckoning.

2 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Smite (1) improvement

Both seem fine (though the homing capabilities might need some looking at), however I'd (also) like to see some synergy options between his powers, like ...
casting Smite into Hallowed Ground would cause e.g. an increased number of projectiles to spawn and / or for every enemy on it to get knocked down.

2 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Hallowed Ground (2) improvement: Casts on location you point at.
Hallowed Ground (2) improvement: Circular instead of rectangular.

Sure why not, this fixed the "problem" of a radial being "less offensively placable" that some didn't like.

(BTW, more range and duration wouldn't be a bad idea, either, methinks.)

2 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Hallowed Ground (2) improvement: Static number instead of % on armour buff.

YES. %-based Armor buffs make sense on Valkyr and Chroma to reward their builds and stuff
(although the ally-affecting portion could still be a flat number regardless but ... off-topic).

2 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Renewal (3) improvement: Only stops healing over time if manually stopped or all energy is drained

YES WITH A VENGEANCE.

3 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Renewal (3) improvement: Hold down 3 to pay 6X energy cost to pick up an incapacitated ally

This is a really interesting / cool idea, the bleedout slowdown was always neat in theory
but still required you (and the orb ... urgh) to physically reach the ally, alas.

Would this just remotely activate a revive process instantly or would you again have orb travel time?
Because if the latter, I'd want an increased travel speed for that.

3 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Reckoning (4) improvement: Now dealt as finisher damage, so the damage can be used to harm enemies past level 20.

I'd hardly turn this down but dunno if that'd be too much, maybe.

Aside from simply upping the base damage & range plus the blind radius & duration (woo Finishers),
how about e.g. changing Smite projectiles to deal (increased) Finisher damage on irradiated enemies or something,
coupled with your continuous Smite fountain (or the HG mass spawn I suggested, heh), that might work just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I am all for some Oberon love, he really isn't terrible. He is just not at the level of some other frames that are doing well currently.

I think Smite is actually pretty good right now. It is one of the better #1 powers currently. It's his other three that could use some tweaks.

Hallowed Ground just doesn't do enough damage. It should be a deterent to enemies.

Renewal isn't as bad as people say. It just needs a slight bump on the heal rate and might be better as a toggle power. 

Reckoning needs the most love. It just seems to underperform. It could use some more damage as well as the knockdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Oberon Passive Idea 1: When being revived or reviving, a barricade with an energy net that goes up to warframe chest height appears for 6 seconds

Dunno, AoE and headshots would still easily cut any reviving efforts short
(also, the revivee not being able to damage enemies ... can't say I like that).

The second option seems better but radial CC is already covered by Reckoning.

About the barricade: It's true, no one can shoot through it so it is partially an obstacle but there are weapons that go as an arc, explode & keep in mind the barricade wouldn't be in a full circle, it's just one line facing wherever the person reviving is facing, so it would involve SOME thinking, but nothing complicated so you would be able to plan before arriving. If not, you'll just have to revive casually with a barricade that's just slightly protecting a wall being meaningless. 
About the confusion revival gas: It's immediate since it's a passive. You won't waste energy or time with your ability casts doing it, so I think it's not too bad. Keep in mind it can't be too strong of a passive so there has to be some risk, not 100% chance of revival every time. I would personally cast a couple of smites on the way to make confused enemies for other enemies to attack and be distracted by.

 

4 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Smite (1) improvement
Both seem fine (though the homing capabilities might need some looking at), however I'd (also) like to see some synergy options between his powers, like ...
casting Smite into Hallowed Ground would cause e.g. an increased number of projectiles to spawn and / or for every enemy on it to get knocked down.



I think it's up to DE to find the balance between stats, animations, AI movement & speed of cast projectiles, I can't really decide these things especially when I have no numbers to go on. I do like the idea of Smite Projectiles dealing finisher damage instead of Reckoning though.
Enemies constantly being knocked down I think is covered by Oberons 4 and most people won't even figure out that all enemies fall over if 1 does when standing on the Hallowed Ground, I think it might get cluttered if that's added even if it's a very strong buff he might deserve. It definitely could have more added, I just don't think this is it.
I really like some of your ideas though and I hope you don't mind me rewriting and adding some details.

 

4 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Renewal (3) improvement: Hold down 3 to pay 6X energy cost to pick up an incapacitated ally
This is a really interesting / cool idea, the bleedout slowdown was always neat in theory
but still required you (and the orb ... urgh) to physically reach the ally, alas.

Would this just remotely activate a revive process instantly or would you again have orb travel time?
Because if the latter, I'd want an increased travel speed for that.

It'd be an orb, a larger one but at the same speed normal orbs go - keep in mind these orbs velocity is increased with Natural Talent! Now, if DE would add an exilus mod that gave us a 15 - 25% cast speed stat, Oberon would be the saviour we want him to be. Right now natural talent just isn't worth replacing a different mod with. What are we supposed to remove, Vitality? Primed Duration? Overextended? No, all of the mods you put on your Oberon are vital to how he works and an Augment changes how he plays entirely. Except EXILUS they're exclusively a minor addition that doesn't change any base stats and the community should get an exilus with increased cast speed for Nekros & Oberon players to be slightly more effective with, the change can only be felt by the user anyway which says just how low but important the change is.
For now, if we want faster travel time of orbs I think we are forced to use Natural Talent though - but I don't think DE would boost their base stat velocity because it does go through floors, walls, enemies and anything that's in the way. It's already quite powerful just thinking about that you can save someone on a different floor in the void with this.



 

4 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Reckoning (4) improvement: Now dealt as finisher damage, so the damage can be used to harm enemies past level 20.
I'd hardly turn this down but dunno if that'd be too much, maybe.

Aside from simply upping the base damage & range plus the blind radius & duration (woo Finishers),
how about e.g. changing Smite projectiles to deal (increased) Finisher damage on irradiated enemies or something,
coupled with your continuous Smite fountain (or the HG mass spawn I suggested, heh), that might work just fine.

I will add the smite projections dealing finisher damage instead of the reckoning itself doing it, that's genius and I'm really glad you shared this idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Crewell said:

While I am all for some Oberon love, he really isn't terrible. He is just not at the level of some other frames that are doing well currently.

I think Smite is actually pretty good right now. It is one of the better #1 powers currently. It's his other three that could use some tweaks.

Hallowed Ground just doesn't do enough damage. It should be a deterent to enemies.

Renewal isn't as bad as people say. It just needs a slight bump on the heal rate and might be better as a toggle power. 

Reckoning needs the most love. It just seems to underperform. It could use some more damage as well as the knockdown.

What I try to do with these improvement thread isn't to just change numbers or completely redesign and remove the abilities we're used to or fond of.
I completely agree that Reckoning needs its numbers looked at and increased but DE knows that and that's what will happen unless they delete Reckoning entirely for something else. Reckoning currently is the most used ability among the few Oberon players out there and that's why I'm so focused on the rest of the abilities. Smites 100% chance to confuse is excellent but it's not enough for a player to choose Oberon over Nyx for example, if they're looking for confusion then she is the one who does it the best. Oberon is a jack of all trades, there are specialists out there but he has a bit of everything and that's why he's so overlooked.

I don't go for a stat rebalance or a rework just deleting and making new abilities, I want to improve upon what is already there.
DE has deleted abilities before and will likely do so more in the future. I try to keep those abilities but have ideas on how to improve them to make them more interesting and give players a reason to cast them. Like:
Hydroid Undertow (3) improvement: Left click shoots out a tentacle that sticks to an enemy, slowly pulling it towards the puddle. Range based on power range and speed based on power strength. Can be stacked infinite times but multiplies energy consumption for each tentacle out.
Example: 2 Energy per second  on rank 30 hydroid with no mods, so each tentacle adds another 2 energy per second being spent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it thrice and I'll say it again.

Hallowed GROUND needs to go. Having to hold still in a game like warframe is flow breaking, annoying and not fun.

Hallowed ground needs to turn into a hallowed aura that surrounds and follows oberon around affecting him and his allies..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ellthan said:

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it thrice and I'll say it again.

Hallowed GROUND needs to go. Having to hold still in a game like warframe is flow breaking, annoying and not fun.

Hallowed ground needs to turn into a hallowed aura that surrounds and follows oberon around affecting him and his allies..

Mate.
You want Oberon to get an aura ability that buffs armour & causes statuses? That's exactly what Chromas ability is.
Oberon has it stationary which means it can target operatives, NPCs, companions and so on. Allies come to Oberon for protection & Oberon can plant one where allies are for protection, or use it as a chokepoint in defense and survival.
Chroma has it mobile which means he never defends anyone but himself in most cases, which is not what Oberon theme is and it's not smart to have 2 warframes with the exact same ability.

So no, 100% disagree with your idea of copying an ability that already exists on another warframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Navarchus said:

Mate.
You want Oberon to get an aura ability that buffs armour & causes statuses? That's exactly what Chromas ability is.
Oberon has it stationary which means it can target operatives, NPCs, companions and so on. Allies come to Oberon for protection & Oberon can plant one where allies are for protection, or use it as a chokepoint in defense and survival.
Chroma has it mobile which means he never defends anyone but himself in most cases, which is not what Oberon theme is and it's not smart to have 2 warframes with the exact same ability.

So no, 100% disagree with your idea of copying an ability that already exists on another warframe.

Chroma does not grant immunity to status effects or knockdowns which is the most valuable part of hallowed ground.

In its current form hallowed ground goes against every single element in the entire game, requiring you  to stand still when everything else requires you to be mobile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ellthan said:

In its current form hallowed ground goes against every single element in the entire game, requiring you  to stand still when everything else requires you to be mobile.

Except all the defensive missions, where other stationary abilities like Snow Globe work just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ellthan said:

Chroma does not grant immunity to status effects or knockdowns which is the most valuable part of hallowed ground.

In its current form hallowed ground goes against every single element in the entire game, requiring you  to stand still when everything else requires you to be mobile.

So you want all stationary abilities removed from the game and turned into auras then like Vaubans vortex & Frosts globe too? 
Or do you just want Oberon to be more like Chroma in general? I can't really tell what you're trying to suggest but I disagree with both these things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:01 AM, Navarchus said:

Lots of text I don't want to fill my reply with:

the OP

I like it, in general.

It keeps him true to who he is, and not only brings up all the commonly-agreed-upon changes, but also gets creative and brings up some other good points.

But some of the effects seem to over-complicate his already many-effects abilities.

 

Smite changes in particular struck me as over-convoluting it.

 

but again, overall, I love how he would stay pretty much the same, just more refined.

I would like to go into more detail on what I like and don't like, but it's getting late for me, so I'm gonna "hit the hay" instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chainchompguy3 said:

I like it, in general.

It keeps him true to who he is, and not only brings up all the commonly-agreed-upon changes, but also gets creative and brings up some other good points.

But some of the effects seem to over-complicate his already many-effects abilities.

 

Smite changes in particular struck me as over-convoluting it.

 

but again, overall, I love how he would stay pretty much the same, just more refined.

I would like to go into more detail on what I like and don't like, but it's getting late for me, so I'm gonna "hit the hay" instead.

Take as much time you need, can I ask what is it about smite you disliked? I was thinking click for one small burst and hold down for a barrage of these energy projectiles, which will consume energy over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2016 at 1:01 AM, Navarchus said:

The OP

Got around to typing my biased opinions

 

Why I find the Smite changes to be Convoluting:

Spoiler

Smite's mechanics are, when compared to other #1 abilities, rather complex.

  • It Targets a single enemy, applies a Radiation Proc, a Knockdown, Impact and Radiation damage, and Spawns homing projectiles. Projectiles target any nearby enemies (including the original target), proc Puncture, and deal further Impact damage.

Compared to Landslide:

  • Target enemy, Dash towards and Punch, dealing damage. If they survive, they are Knocked-down. Using over and over increases dmg, decreases cost.

Compared to the even more simple Fireball:

  • Launch a fiery projectile, that deals fire damage + DOT. If it hits ground, it lingers as an damage over time AOE.

 

Thus, adding in a hold mechanic, and then making Projectiles linger on Allied NPCs, would only further it's minor complexity gap.

similar could possibly be said about some of his other abilities: Reckoning procs blind, radiation, knockdown, AND an initial Lift.

 

Actual Feedback on Smite changes:

Spoiler

The concept of making sure the projectiles don't go to waste is nice, and it can even be construed to be in-line with his nature theme: Nature is a Constant Cycle, one which wastes nothing.

But it would fail to add much in terms of power or viability, and would have the potential to Lag the game, seeing as how Multiple Smite casts can Lag Lower-end rigs already: having them linger would only make matters worse.

 

 

Similar applies to the Hold mechanic: it won't add much to power or viability.

As it currently stands, if one wishes to barrage the enemy with smite projectiles they need only to cast it again. This not only spawns more projectiles, but re-procs the original damage, Radiation, and knockdown.

Not to mention that the current projectiles do not do terribly much, other than making sure the ability affects a group rather than a single target.

Unless the energy cost of the hold mechanic was very low, or if the projectiles saw a significant buff, I fail to see how it would be better than as it is now.

 

Hallowed Ground Changes:

Spoiler

 

You touch on the generally agreed upon desire to have more range, but instead of flat out buffing it, you throw in the expanding idea, which is absolutely brilliant. It fits his themes well (Growing nature, and Growing Holy influence), it give more range, it encourages build diversity, and it could prove to be quite a spectacle.

Applause for you.

 

The circular shape change would be natural should the expansion idea go through, as a growing rectangle is nowhere near as...fitting.

 

The Armor changes to give flat value are generally agreed upon, but now that you mention it, I would prefer to see, and to show my allies, exactly how much armour I am giving them. So HUD change is welcome.

 

Aesthetics of growing the horns would definitely help allies realize that "Hey, something's going on. Oh, right. Oberon Buff. I guess I should stay here, and keep getting buffed". Not sure how graphically feasible it would be, but anything would help.

 

The rest I'll just deem as convenient QoL changes, that I would like to see, but wouldn't horribly miss, should they not go through.

 

 

Renewal changes:

Spoiler

Once again, you touch upon the highly requested desire for renewal to become a true toggle.

I am completely on board with renewal not ending upon full health.

However, I have 1 issue: the current renewal allows for the player to mod for either a slow regeneration (Low duration build), or a quick heal (High duration build). I like this diversity, so I'd almost prefer to see it retained somehow. After all, most of the other toggles in the game now have duration determine their cost, not their heal rate.

 

Picking up a downed ally idea is very interesting, and it can easily be construed to fit both his themes (Life and Death is but a cycle, in nature; "You will NOT die here, not now")

It'd also help to take down part of Trinity's monopoly on the Support role.

 

Casting while running and HUD changes would be nice, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they weren't added.

 

Some Idea's I've heard from other threads, that you didn't mention:

  • Aiding in the travel time of the healing projectile: Either buffing speed, or removing it altogether.
  • Some sort of AOE short CC, like a stagger/Impact Proc, upon receiving benefits, so as to have it truly be a "renewal", a fresh start.

 

 

Will edit this post with more feedback later, but right now I have other matters to attend to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are fairly good changes, however I do think the passive is not really that good. The passive should be more generally usable and encourage playing the frame well. The passive you suggested would only be useful if a ally goes down, which being a frame in which you are actively buffing your allies and keeping them healthy means it does not mix well with what his kit is meant to do. The thing about Oberon is that it his abilities all want you to be near allies, Smite Infusion has you target a ally to cast, Hallowed Ground/Reckoning needs your allies to be near you and standing in the sparkle ground to get the buffs, and Renewal is best when allies are close so they get the healing rays as quick as possible. You could incentive players to stay near all their allies by giving him damage reduction for each ally he is near. So for example, you innately have 10%/20%/25% damage reduction for having 1/2/3 allies within a certain range. It would allow Oberon to tank damage for his weaker allies and let him stay near them even if the scenario gets rather dangerous. This would also make him even better at reviving since he at bare minimum would be getting a 10% damage reduction for standing right over the fallen Tenno.

(Also sorry for the wall of text, I just like typing stuff about the Fairy Paladin)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chainchompguy3 said:

Got around to typing my biased opinions

 

Why I find the Smite changes to be Convoluting:

  Hide contents

Smite's mechanics are, when compared to other #1 abilities, rather complex.

  • It Targets a single enemy, applies a Radiation Proc, a Knockdown, Impact and Radiation damage, and Spawns homing projectiles. Projectiles target any nearby enemies (including the original target), proc Puncture, and deal further Impact damage.

Compared to Landslide:

  • Target enemy, Dash towards and Punch, dealing damage. If they survive, they are Knocked-down. Using over and over increases dmg, decreases cost.

Compared to the even more simple Fireball:

  • Launch a fiery projectile, that deals fire damage + DOT. If it hits ground, it lingers as an damage over time AOE.

 

Thus, adding in a hold mechanic, and then making Projectiles linger on Allied NPCs, would only further it's minor complexity gap.

similar could possibly be said about some of his other abilities: Reckoning procs blind, radiation, knockdown, AND an initial Lift.

 

Actual Feedback on Smite changes:

  Hide contents

The concept of making sure the projectiles don't go to waste is nice, and it can even be construed to be in-line with his nature theme: Nature is a Constant Cycle, one which wastes nothing.

But it would fail to add much in terms of power or viability, and would have the potential to Lag the game, seeing as how Multiple Smite casts can Lag Lower-end rigs already: having them linger would only make matters worse.

 

 

Similar applies to the Hold mechanic: it won't add much to power or viability.

As it currently stands, if one wishes to barrage the enemy with smite projectiles they need only to cast it again. This not only spawns more projectiles, but re-procs the original damage, Radiation, and knockdown.

Not to mention that the current projectiles do not do terribly much, other than making sure the ability affects a group rather than a single target.

Unless the energy cost of the hold mechanic was very low, or if the projectiles saw a significant buff, I fail to see how it would be better than as it is now.

 

Will edit this post with more feedback later, but right now I have other matters to attend to.

You're absolutely right.
It can already be spammed on one or several targets and holding it for more projectiles would only be visually pleasing but not any more effective & it's already complex as it is.
I didn't even consider the potential lag of so many entities sticking around either.
I'll try to come up with a different idea for how to make Smite more interesting and worth using. 

 

2 hours ago, -FV-Metheria said:

These are fairly good changes, however I do think the passive is not really that good. The passive should be more generally usable and encourage playing the frame well. The passive you suggested would only be useful if a ally goes down, which being a frame in which you are actively buffing your allies and keeping them healthy means it does not mix well with what his kit is meant to do. The thing about Oberon is that it his abilities all want you to be near allies, Smite Infusion has you target a ally to cast, Hallowed Ground/Reckoning needs your allies to be near you and standing in the sparkle ground to get the buffs, and Renewal is best when allies are close so they get the healing rays as quick as possible. You could incentive players to stay near all their allies by giving him damage reduction for each ally he is near. So for example, you innately have 10%/20%/25% damage reduction for having 1/2/3 allies within a certain range. It would allow Oberon to tank damage for his weaker allies and let him stay near them even if the scenario gets rather dangerous. This would also make him even better at reviving since he at bare minimum would be getting a 10% damage reduction for standing right over the fallen Tenno.

(Also sorry for the wall of text, I just like typing stuff about the Fairy Paladin)

That does sound far more interesting & something Oberon could definitely use, it would mean he not only can protect his allies - but SHOULD be even if the person using him isn't into it they will know that being around their allies is optimal for themselves so even if they don't care about the squad they'll still be sticking around.
But I think the damage reduction should cap at 3 allies & count your own companion so he still gets some benefit out of the passive when alone, as long as he takes care of his Kavat/Kubrow. 
The fact that this makes him good for reviving too I'm glad is also the case since, since it was the theme I had for the passives I wrote.

 

CLMRE76.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about changing the magic ribbons to instead of being focused on doing damage, instead being to your benefit. Smite would take some armor or shields from the enemy, and the ribbons would move and give it to you and allies nearby giving you bonus armor for some time based on your duration or shielding that can spill into overshields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -FV-Metheria said:

How about changing the magic ribbons to instead of being focused on doing damage, instead being to your benefit. Smite would take some armor or shields from the enemy, and the ribbons would move and give it to you and allies nearby giving you bonus armor for some time based on your duration or shielding that can spill into overshields.

A direct drain on shields/armour would be really interesting. There isn't a lot of genuine leeching abilities and it works for the druid theme when I've been so focused on the paladin theme of Oberon. Yeah, while I can't come up with stats for them but I'll write down the idea as it's definitely a good one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to edit my original post, but I've only managed to add comments on Renewal and Hallowed Ground (I tired editing in parts). As for the Rest, I must re-post.

 

An important Hallowed Ground issue that I missed before:

Spoiler

The biggest issue with Hallowed ground is that it is immobile. Now, there's nothing wrong with immoble skills: Snowglobe is amazing. But Snowglobe justifies itself by bringing neigh invincibility, while you are within it. You trade the safety of staying on the move for the safety of snowglobe.

 The same cannot be said of Hallowed ground. It's Defensive trade off is Mobility for a bit of armour. And armor does not benefit shields, meaning hallowed ground is near useless to frames like Mag, who focus on shields. 

In higher levels, Mobility is crucial to staying alive. Thus, Hallowed ground should either become a mobile aura (Not preferred), or gain significant buffs to reduce damage.

 

Reckoning:

Spoiler

Finisher Damage helps with scaling. Not sure if it takes away from theme or not.

 

Increasing the blind might help, but we've done fairly well now, even with it being un-noticeable.

 

Something you didn't mention:

Currently, enemies killed drop health orbs, for 25 health.

This is terrible, as 25 health is very little and reckoning rarely gets the final blow. Both of these are even harder at higher levels.

Someone on another thread suggested that Reckoning "Mark" enemies for a time period. Marked enemies would, when they die due to any source of damage, drop better health orbs, that heal a % of health.

I suggested that instead, take out the orbs, and just have "Marked enemies release and AOE heal on Death"

 

Passive:

Spoiler

Didn't care for the old ones, as the "Pick up and ally from afar" made them both Obsolete.

 

New one sounds awesome, and I'd love to see it stack with any defensive buffs Hallowed Ground gets. Mark your Holy Forest Patch, gather up your buddies, and watch as you are the Bastion of Life, Shrugging off Rockets like a tree sheds it's leaves.

 

the wording of it implies that it would only fortify Oberon, though. Not sure if I'd prefer it that way. Give allies a reason to NOT run away from Oberon. Then again, a whole squad of Oberons....and then you have 8 player raids...

maybe set a cap on that. the Buffing allies part. You already have cap on buffing self.

 

Unfortunately, though, DE has only added very Light passives. Frost just got an ice version of the Retribution mod. Ivara got Enemy Sense mod. Equinox got Equilibrium mod. the Exotic ones, like Chroma's Color changing, and Inaros's Heal-on-finisher, are a dedicated part of their kit, and they still barely come close to the awesomeness of this idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, chainchompguy3 said:

I tried to edit my original post, but I've only managed to add comments on Renewal and Hallowed Ground (I tired editing in parts). As for the Rest, I must re-post.

 

An important Hallowed Ground issue that I missed before:

  Reveal hidden contents

The biggest issue with Hallowed ground is that it is immobile. Now, there's nothing wrong with immoble skills: Snowglobe is amazing. But Snowglobe justifies itself by bringing neigh invincibility, while you are within it. You trade the safety of staying on the move for the safety of snowglobe.

 The same cannot be said of Hallowed ground. It's Defensive trade off is Mobility for a bit of armour. And armor does not benefit shields, meaning hallowed ground is near useless to frames like Mag, who focus on shields. 

In higher levels, Mobility is crucial to staying alive. Thus, Hallowed ground should either become a mobile aura (Not preferred), or gain significant buffs to reduce damage.

 

Reckoning:

  Reveal hidden contents

Finisher Damage helps with scaling. Not sure if it takes away from theme or not.

 

Increasing the blind might help, but we've done fairly well now, even with it being un-noticeable.

 

Something you didn't mention:

Currently, enemies killed drop health orbs, for 25 health.

This is terrible, as 25 health is very little and reckoning rarely gets the final blow. Both of these are even harder at higher levels.

Someone on another thread suggested that Reckoning "Mark" enemies for a time period. Marked enemies would, when they die due to any source of damage, drop better health orbs, that heal a % of health.

I suggested that instead, take out the orbs, and just have "Marked enemies release and AOE heal on Death"

 

Passive:

  Reveal hidden contents

Didn't care for the old ones, as the "Pick up and ally from afar" made them both Obsolete.

 

New one sounds awesome, and I'd love to see it stack with any defensive buffs Hallowed Ground gets. Mark your Holy Forest Patch, gather up your buddies, and watch as you are the Bastion of Life, Shrugging off Rockets like a tree sheds it's leaves.

 

the wording of it implies that it would only fortify Oberon, though. Not sure if I'd prefer it that way. Give allies a reason to NOT run away from Oberon. Then again, a whole squad of Oberons....and then you have 8 player raids...

maybe set a cap on that. the Buffing allies part. You already have cap on buffing self.

 

Unfortunately, though, DE has only added very Light passives. Frost just got an ice version of the Retribution mod. Ivara got Enemy Sense mod. Equinox got Equilibrium mod. the Exotic ones, like Chroma's Color changing, and Inaros's Heal-on-finisher, are a dedicated part of their kit, and they still barely come close to the awesomeness of this idea.

On 28/03/2016 at 0:05 AM, -FV-Metheria said:

 

 

Spoiler

 

Oberon Passive Idea 3: 3X stacks of Fortify, 7,5% each. 7,5% 15% 22,5% damage reduction with allies nearby, also granted to allies. Companion of caster counts. This buff can only be cast by 1 person.

Hallowed Ground (2) improvement: Running into Hallowed Ground grants armour but when leaving it or when Hallowed Ground is despawned the armour will begin to decay based on duration.

Hallowed Ground (2) improvement: Reduced quantity of hallowed ground locations can be made, I was thinking 2 or 3.

Reckoning (4) improvement: Mark enemies for increased chance to drop health orbs when killed instead of needing lethal damage to drop health orbs. Mark duration based on Power Duration, starts at 15 seconds.  Health orbs stay to keep Health Conversion & Equilibrium builds. 

 

These are the new additions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You missed an important thing.

Oberon needs faster cast speed.

Renewal is a self stun lock.

Reckoning is too slow as well, but I have no more room for natural talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, aerosoul1337 said:

You missed an important thing.

Oberon needs faster cast speed.

Renewal is a self stun lock.

Reckoning is too slow as well, but I have no more room for natural talent.

Renewal does limit you, but I did add that it should be able to be cast while running, so you're not stationary while doing it.
Keep in mind with the additional renewal buffs like being able to pick up a teammate bleeding out - it's a pretty powerful ability.
Reckoning is slow but it isn't much slower than other abilities for its value, I don't think it needs to be increased personally and I've yet to see others speak about it so I don't think it's that large of an issue. I'll absolutely add it if I see more people agree with you statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Health orbs stay to keep Health Conversion & Equilibrium builds. 

Makes sense.

2 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Hallowed Ground (2) improvement: Running into Hallowed Ground grants armour but when leaving it or when Hallowed Ground is despawned the armour will begin to decay based on duration.

Hallowed Ground (2) improvement: Reduced quantity of hallowed ground locations can be made, I was thinking 2 or 3.

Perhaps instead of limiting the number able to be present at one time, limit their stackablity?

or is this not about balancing it, but instead about reducing lag?

 

Oh, and on Cast speed. I've always managed to get by via casting mid-air. It's been an interesting crutch for aiding the slow-ish cast time. If we'll get to Run while casting renewal, which is even easier than jumping, I see no reason to buff cast speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, chainchompguy3 said:

Makes sense.

Perhaps instead of limiting the number able to be present at one time, limit their stackablity?

or is this not about balancing it, but instead about reducing lag?

 

Oh, and on Cast speed. I've always managed to get by via casting mid-air. It's been an interesting crutch for aiding the slow-ish cast time. If we'll get to Run while casting renewal, which is even easier than jumping, I see no reason to buff cast speed.

Having 8 Hallowed Grounds is visually really unappealing, they glow a lot even after their bloom fix & blind most players. Then after all that there's the lag.
An ability shouldn't have to be stacked that many times for use, DE will have to improve its damage and chances overall before reimplementing it and I think DE knows that themselves. That's why I figured reducing the quantity is very important - but that's of course if the stats are increased. Though things like these have been unclear to DE before so I suppose I should add it to the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Navarchus said:

Having 8 Hallowed Grounds is visually really unappealing, they glow a lot even after their bloom fix & blind most players. Then after all that there's the lag.
An ability shouldn't have to be stacked that many times for use, DE will have to improve its damage and chances overall before reimplementing it and I think DE knows that themselves. That's why I figured reducing the quantity is very important - but that's of course if the stats are increased. Though things like these have been unclear to DE before so I suppose I should add it to the list.

You're right, but I would still like to have multiple casts. Not for the sake of stacking: I hardly ever stack Hallowed grounds atop each other. But rather, for being able to cover more area. Even with the Expansion buff, and a range/duration build, one might still find it difficult to cover large enough an area to, say, aid in softening enemies up in defense: Enemies come from multiple entrances, from many angles. Choke points usually come in 4's and 5's, and tend to be semi-far apart, preventing one cast from covering 2 entrances...

 

Then again...With the buffs it would be receiving, Hallowed Ground would be primarily focused on buffing teammates, not damaging/CC-ing enemies...so everything I just said is a tad irrelevant. Eh, I'll post anyways, just so the viewpoint is acknowledged. I've already typed all this out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chainchompguy3 said:

You're right, but I would still like to have multiple casts. Not for the sake of stacking: I hardly ever stack Hallowed grounds atop each other. But rather, for being able to cover more area. Even with the Expansion buff, and a range/duration build, one might still find it difficult to cover large enough an area to, say, aid in softening enemies up in defense: Enemies come from multiple entrances, from many angles. Choke points usually come in 4's and 5's, and tend to be semi-far apart, preventing one cast from covering 2 entrances...

 

Then again...With the buffs it would be receiving, Hallowed Ground would be primarily focused on buffing teammates, not damaging/CC-ing enemies...so everything I just said is a tad irrelevant. Eh, I'll post anyways, just so the viewpoint is acknowledged. I've already typed all this out...

How many do you think are valid before they get obnoxious then? This is all just ideas and suggestions of what we want to see - not necessary what we'll be getting.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites