Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

·Oberon Improvement List

Navarc

5 hours ago, Nauruin said:

I try to keep the changes as small as possible:
Chapter one: A Passive for the Elfking!:
He still feels rather squishy. And he doesnt have a passive abillity yet. Combine that with his theme and you get: Bark Armor!
A simple +% armor effect that stacks up over time as long as Oberon doesnt receive health damage (or as long as he stands still, like a tree...), and looses stacks upon loosing health.
Chapter two: Hallowed Ground:
This abillity would be amazing for controlling entrances and doorways, or providing a shelter zone for allies to cleanse statuses, if not for one thing: Its duration.
Having to replace your Hallowed Ground every few seconds is a chore, and makes you highly unflexible, not to mention it becomes completely useless if you try to run a build with a long duration Renewal (which is quite cool, but we get to that in a second).
The solution here is (again) rather simple: Make Hallowed Ground stay indefinetly, but limit the amount of Hallowed Ground areas Oberon can place. Duration mods would effect that number (so he keeps his unique relation with negative duration, but the abillity stays somewhat useable).
Since I saw it mentioned above, a solution for its particle effects: Make it less "crass", maybe use the lush "tendril like" effect you gave Hallowed Reckoning, making it look a bit like grass. (Pssst, idea for his Feyarch skin: make his Hallowed Ground a carpet of fallen leaves.)
Chapter three: Renewal:
A gimmicky heal. I love it.
 Please, keep the buff on even when the target frames health is full.
Chapter four: Rrrrrrrreckoning!:
Its pretty okay-ish. CC could be stronger.
But please, DE, seriously:Let Oberon finally become a tree. Health orbs dropped by fallen enemies spawn at Oberon of course, since he's the tree, and health orbs are red like apples.
For more teamplay, let him be able to hold enemies in his grasp (while he is also immobile of course) so they can finish them off.
So...I hope this thread gets DE's attention. Some good ideas here overall. Woo \o3o/
(PS: didnt talk about Smite because its cool and I dont have any idea what more I could want of it)

Hey, thanks for adding some ideas, many of these are similar or the same as what's already listed though!

A similar passive was written in the original post, when it comes to hallowed ground I have also added limited quantity but I don't think it should stay indefinitely like Frosts globe as to keep the growth of it which was also listed. The renewal being toggled instead of stopping as soon as someone hits 100% health is also written.
I really don't agree with your Reckoning idea though. It doesn't fit both of his sides (paladin & druid) and I feel Inaros already has the whole "making enemies immobile" thing going for him, we could have something else, more interesting for Oberon.

I hope you give the post a read, I think there's a lot you'd agree with even if not everything such as marking Reckoning targets to drop health orbs for a certain duration instead of only dropping health orbs with lethal damage.
Smite is VERY hard to come up with ideas for though, I agree. It's not bad as it is now it's just not as good as the rest with usability. 

Yeah I've read the top post, and I agree with a lot of it :D

I didnt try to re-invent the wheel, I just wanted to add my own view on things to those ideas^^

The Tree idea propably came to be because everytime I think of Oberon, I think of Oberon from the Overlord game xD

It was more of a suggestion for visuals, But I DO think Reckoning could use some more changes, maybe even making it a non-radial abillity (we have so many of those >w>)

It should keep its "kaboom" tho, still want to feel like shouting "RRRECKONING!" when casting it xD

In any case, the changes I feel are most important are the addition of a passive and the changes to Renewal you listed above.

That alone would make Oberon feel a lot stronger I think :P

3 hours ago, Nauruin said:

It was more of a suggestion for visuals, But I DO think Reckoning could use some more changes, maybe even making it a non-radial abillity (we have so many of those >w>)

It should keep its "kaboom" tho, still want to feel like shouting "RRRECKONING!" when casting it xD

I sort of agree here. The current Reckoning is, in practice, a radial version of Smite.

I also agree that we have quite a few radials. But, then again, in a horde-shooter like Warframe, radials are going to be the most efficient...

Reckoning and smite could definitely use some differentiation from each other. Thankfully, this thread already has some ideas for it: such as the increase in Reckonings Blinding capabilities, and it's more usable Health-Orb spawning.

I'd almost like to see some sort of interactive radial. something that you aim and connect, versus press the button and watch the animation.

Not sure what that'd be, though...maybe something like how Limbo's "Cataclysm" is cast...

Or maybe Reckoning could do what the stalker does: Stalker will sometimes use Reckoning to hold all tenno in place, and not slam them.

Heck, maybe reckoning could be made more tactical with:

• Upon casting Reckoning, Oberon puts away his weapons, and simply holds his power at the ready (Not draining power, so think Ivara's Artemis Bow)
  • Clicking (M1) will mark a spot on the ground. All enemies near that spot will be lifted, just like in current reckoning. They will stay there, slowly draining power Until:
  • Oberon, after having lifted up enough enemies to suit his will, presses 4 again, ending the ability. All lifted enemies are slammed to the ground. The more enemies, the more damage, but the more energy used on multiple casts, and more energy drained to hold them there.
  • Perhaps, since this will be encouraging mutliple casts, Lower cost per cast, but nerf some of the aspects of Reckoning: remove the blind (As an incapacitating-lift is stronger CC), Nerf range (so you have to place multiple casts in just the right place to get everyone), and lower initial damage (as damage would be scaling on enemy count).

Just a thought. It's a rather intensive rework, I'm basically throwing the old one out the window. So I'm not sure if even I agree with this idea. But hey, anything to keep the ideas flowing.

On 4/1/2016 at 11:52 PM, Navarchus said:

Chapter one: A Passive for the Elfking!:
He still feels rather squishy. And he doesnt have a passive abillity yet. Combine that with his theme and you get: Bark Armor!
A simple +% armor effect that stacks up over time as long as Oberon doesnt receive health damage (or as long as he stands still, like a tree...), and looses stacks upon loosing health.

I like this Bark Armor concept but not your mechanics. Instead his passive could be a 100% armor increase while at full health which reduces as health reduces to 75% 50% 25% and armor goes back to base value if health falls below 25%. Buff applies to base armor and isn't affected by mods like steel fiber although they could be used to raise armor further. So essentially his full health armor value without mods would be 300

On 3/26/2016 at 1:01 AM, Navarchus said:

Oberon Passive Idea 3: 3X stacks of Fortify, 7,5% each. 7,5% 15% 22,5% damage reduction with allies nearby, also granted to allies. Companion of caster counts. This buff can only be cast by 1 person.

Instead of fortitude i'd give him rapid resilience while his tree bark armor is active, at full health = increased armor + status procs have reduced duration.

Hallowed Ground - New update had changes to the visuals aimed at making it less of eye sore and reduce lag. Haven't seen it myself yet but that's what the build notes say. 

Keeping it a forward rectangular cast is a very unique characteristic of the move, remember it is intrinsically an offense move. Meant to weaken the enemy and bolster allies in the thick of battle. Its useless to compare it for Snow Globe for instance as its purpose is completely different. Think the Hot Gates from 300, a strategic space of attacking that bolsters an otherwise disadvantaged force against overwhelming odds. 

That said, most of the improvements OP suggested are on point but here's my two sense anyway: 

Spoiler
  • Enemies that enter Hallowed Ground are unable to leave OR  have 40% armor reduction (ideas stems from fairy king lore where all who enter his forest are lost)
  • Increased Damage over time. Increased base duration. Increased base range.
  • Smite deals more damage to trapped enemies
  • Allies get static 150 armor increase instead of %

Renewal 

On 3/26/2016 at 1:01 AM, Navarchus said:

Renewal (3) improvement: Can be used while running.
Renewal (3) improvement: Only stops healing over time if manually stopped or all energy is drained - not when allies or caster hits max health making it more convenient in battle.
Renewal (3) improvement: Bleed-out timer shows after having been increased. Right now it doesn't show any numbers as soon as incapacitated allies get its effect which is very annoying since we want to see the difference it makes to see its power.
Renewal (3) improvement: Hold down 3 to pay 6X energy cost to pick up an incapacitated ally, whomever was felled first will be targeted, only 1 heavy renewal can be active and no health regeneration will be given to caster or any other allies. See it as a different skill which honours the old Renewal system people loved but was changed due to abuse and imbalance. (This means 25 energy becomes 150 energy, the energy is consumed whether you succeed on picking up your ally or not.)

Great stuff. See no reason for it to be cast while running tho, you can already sort of cast while in air. Energy drain for this is already bad, draining while orbs are travelling and haven't even started healing allies yet sucks so I guess just make it a toggle and be done yeah. Animation is a bit slow but having to escape and cast in a safe location adds a sense of urgency and fun to the game. 

Reckoning ideas are spot on so far

6 hours ago, BeardyKyle said:

Hide contents
  • Renewal 

Great stuff. See no reason for it to be cast while running tho, you can already sort of cast while in air. Energy drain for this is already bad, draining while orbs are travelling and haven't even started healing allies yet sucks so I guess just make it a toggle and be done yeah. Animation is a bit slow but having to escape and cast in a safe location adds a sense of urgency and fun to the game. 

Reckoning ideas are spot on so far

You believe that the fact that we can bug abuse an ability to avoid its huge issue makes it okay?
We're supposed to be completely stationary when using it. Hence the kneeling animation. The fact that you can bullet-jump and cast it to keep moving & not be incredibly vulnerable isn't something intentional and it's not something good. We should be able to move with it for real, man.

A bug that works in your favour isn't a fix.

Edited by Navarchus

• 2 weeks later...
On 25.3.2016 at 6:01 AM, Navarchus said:

Reckoning (4) improvement: Mark enemies for increased chance to drop health orbs when killed instead of needing lethal damage to drop health orbs. Mark duration based on Power Duration, starts at 15 seconds.

Great idea.Give dis man a cookie.

I think it's time that our old friend Oberon get's a rework.And here are some pretty damn good ideas for him. Great work.

To keep the lethal damage having a special effect and increase the value of Smite at the same time I combined the ideas DE had so they're not completely lost.
Smite (1) improvement: 0.75 Chance to drop a health orb if dealing lethal damage by Smites projectiles.

On 3/31/2016 at 11:26 PM, Nauruin said:

Chapter three: Renewal:

A gimmicky heal. I love it.

Only one liiiittle thing bothers me: Please, keep the buff on even when the target frames health is full.

(And give the glowing spheres tiny wings. Like fairies :D )

While lovely it would be an unnecessary change and a bit way too personal.

Do like the idea that the healing buff would still be active, regardless of the player being full on health. But i'd suggest a armor buff instead, once health is full. (for technical reasons ofc)

On 19/04/2016 at 1:43 AM, Noabettiet said:

While lovely it would be an unnecessary change and a bit way too personal.

Do like the idea that the healing buff would still be active, regardless of the player being full on health. But i'd suggest a armor buff instead, once health is full. (for technical reasons ofc)

So the armour bonus would only work for the first time you take health damage? Since the armour won't apply to shields.

Looks like DE gave the Oberon armour passive we suggested to Vauban instead despite Oberon having 3/4 of his abilities focused around aiding allies and being most effective with allies around.

Spoiler
"Vauban's Armor increases with each ally nearby."
"Vauban Prime's Armor increases with each ally nearby."

• 4 weeks later...

The only improvement to Oberon that i didnt liked much was the Passive stacking. Why dont just make a 15% damage reduction aura to Oberon and allies nearby him? This would make Oberon be a nice paladin like character. For the rest of ideas about Oberon skills they seem pretty good to me and i feel there would be no reason to make them happen, maybe with a tweak or two about numbers in damage, range or duration but the mechanics seems quite nice to me.

Edited by Marbelik

3 hours ago, Marbelik said:

The only improvement to Oberon that i didnt liked much was the Passive stacking. Why dont just make a 15% damage reduction aura to Oberon and allies nearby him? This would make Oberon be a nice paladin like character. For the rest of ideas about Oberon skills they seem pretty good to me and i feel there would be no reason to make them happen, maybe with a tweak or two about numbers in damage, range or duration but the mechanics seems quite nice to me.

Honestly, I was thinking of a "strength in numbers" kind of thing but looking at it again, I think you're right. Simplicity is better here and a majority of passives have a simple, static number & effect. 
I will rewrite this, thank you.

I wonder if this would work for Oberon’s passive:

For every buff/debuff Oberon has:

He gets a basic stat increase (Shields, Health, Armor, Sprint Speed, Power Duration, Power Range, Power Strength)

He takes health damage over time (this means more buffs/debuffs = more damage to Oberon from his passive)

Why:

It gives Oberon something to do with his health pool at one-shot endgame

It allows Oberon to keep renewal up (and phoenix renewal)

It gives Oberon a reason to use the condition cleansing effect of hallowed ground (aside from “conditions are bad”)

It makes Oberon tankier… if he has the support of his team mates.

and other minor factors.

I think it would be interesting.

10 hours ago, Lotran said:

I wonder if this would work for Oberon’s passive:

For every buff/debuff Oberon has:

He gets a basic stat increase (Shields, Health, Armor, Sprint Speed, Power Duration, Power Range, Power Strength)

He takes health damage over time (this means more buffs/debuffs = more damage to Oberon from his passive)

Why:

It gives Oberon something to do with his health pool at one-shot endgame

It allows Oberon to keep renewal up (and phoenix renewal)

It gives Oberon a reason to use the condition cleansing effect of hallowed ground (aside from “conditions are bad”)

It makes Oberon tankier… if he has the support of his team mates.

and other minor factors.

I think it would be interesting.

I think in public squads this just wouldn't work, people don't care enough about one another & then there's the fact that not all warframes actually have things they can apply to themselves or allies. 
I think a passive is something you should be able to use in every mission.

Did you hear about the passive they're giving to Oberon? Chance to temporarily confuse wildlife category enemies. Only functional on Earth & Phobos.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh me and someone from one of the many Oberon threads came up with an idea for a passive that isn't too different from the current.

Oberon starts any mission with 3 "pets" and every 30 seconds a new one joins, you can only have 6 at any one time. These pets scale (with time or enemy level, I'm not sure). If anyone of the "pets" die then they drop a health orb, if you encounter an enemy or wild and are missing a "pet" then they join you (until you have 6).

Edited by TheGoodNamesGotTaken

First let me drop an earlier concept here (wishful thinking)....

Then go on to add a simpler concept based on a comment I made earlier...

Oberon current powers just needs more synergy to keep up with new frames and reworked ones, not just a stat change. Below is some added functionality idea to his powers.

1. Smite - after hitting primary target smite returns to oberon with a buff. Buff allows oberon to deal extra damage to that armor type.

2. Hallow ground - oberon shares buff to allies to do extra damage to armor type.

3. Renewal - adds some buff (armor, shields or max hp) based off buff.

4. Reckoning - none.

10 hours ago, TheGoodNamesGotTaken said:

Oh me and someone from one of the many Oberon threads came up with an idea for a passive that isn't too different from the current.

Oberon starts any mission with 3 "pets" and every 30 seconds a new one joins, you can only have 6 at any one time. These pets scale (with time or enemy level, I'm not sure). If anyone of the "pets" die then they drop a health orb, if you encounter an enemy or wild and are missing a "pet" then they join you (until you have 6).

The AI in warframe is very lacking and anything that gets more AI on your side is often a disadvantage.
Even if cute and fun, it's rarely actually useful. It would be cool as an augment though, if there were augments for changing passives.
But I don't see this change renewing Oberon to where he'd be equal to other warframes nowadays.

Renewal - Duration affected positively. Gives a 10% damage reduction. 

Hallowed Ground -

1. Adds 100% radiation damage and 20% crit damage to melee attacks while channeling. Removes channeling cost.
  2. Enemies with a status proc take double damage from Hallowed Ground per second.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:23 PM, BeardyKyle said:

Renewal - Duration affected positively. Gives a 10% damage reduction. 

Hallowed Ground -

1. Adds 100% radiation damage and 20% crit damage to melee attacks while channeling. Removes channeling cost.
  2. Enemies with a status proc take double damage from Hallowed Ground per second.

I'm not sure what you mean. Should this replace the current? Replace the suggestion? Be an augment?
You're wanting Hallowed Ground to turn from a defense ability to an offense ability so I'm assuming it's an augment suggestion.

19 hours ago, Navarchus said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Should this replace the current? Replace the suggestion? Be an augment?
You're wanting Hallowed Ground to turn from a defense ability to an offense ability so I'm assuming it's an augment suggestion.

Originally I meant for it to be added to what it currently does. It could be an augment that would be fine. 

However after playing a lot of conclave with Obi over the weekend, i'm leaning towards just buffing what Hallowed Ground does now, make it a very defensive ability that functions as a trap. The offense comes from it inherently dealing a lot of damage to enemies. 

At least that's how I use it in conclave and its very tactical and effective. It's easily x10 more useful in conclave than pve 

This is my dream Oberon rework please don't obsess over it and pick it apart just take what you like and leave the rest.

Stats

I personally feel Oberon needs a minor bump in stats primarily to his armor stat. He's a bit too squishy to be a Paladin and its not like he really has anything to make up for it. I would personally bring it up to be in line with frosts at 300, But that's just how I think. Conversely a more impressive base health might be a better option as well. I just personally feel Oberon goes down a bit to quickly and easily at the moment.

On an additional note I believe his casting times really ought to be sped up a good deal, or at least allow him to move while casting more of them. Warframe is a game centered around mobility and gun play, right now Oberons casting times almost always leave him vulnerable to being attacked and often meddle with the flow of game-play. They could be a bit more livable with some improvements but I would really like to see these cut down a bit.

Passive

As much as I love Oberons passive thematically I just feel it doesn't add to much to game-play. Honestly I would just like to see Oberon get a buff to or from using Kebrows and Kavats.

Conversely something like Increased damage resistance and immunity to status effects while casting would be an awesome edition.

#1 Smite

Smite is the #1 skill against which all other #1's should be measured it needs no changes beyond a tweak to allow its damage to scale better. Possibly armor strip? Beyond that Smite is exactly what a number one should be simple effective and somewhat spamable. its Or at least that s my opinion.

Its augment however... I know most casters with a number one like this have an almost identical augment but I would rather give this buff out in a different way. I would love smite to get a more interesting augment. Not that this ones bad its good, just not that interesting.

#2 Hallowed Ground

Simultaneous my most and least favorite Oberon power. I know there is a lot of contention in the Oberon community over this power. I personally am of the camp that it needs to be made mobile however I do not want to see it made into Chroma's Elemental Ward. No, I want something far cooler. Why do I feel it needs to be more mobile? Because unlike other strong immobile effects HG is not a hard stop. HG does not stop damage entirely like Snow Globe nor does it stop enemies like Bastille, making it a bad candidate for stationary status. Either it needs to get a heck of a lot stronger or it needs to go on the move.

In my perfect world Hallowed Ground would be a toggle ability that creates a circle in a wide radius around Oberon so long as he is standing on the ground. The closest thing I can compare it to is Volt's shocking speed only quite a bit wider. It would have the same effect as it does now with one change, damage reduction rather than an armor boost.

As far as augments go Hallowed Reckoning is practically a slap in the face, Subjectively it actually makes the power WEAKER. I have seen some good augment Ideas If I had my way I would cause it to give you the buff from smites current augment while standing in it or let people keep the buff for a short time after leaving the area. However having it leave a trail, or expand as you kill enemies in it would work too.

#3 Renewal

Renewal is literally a nightmare to use right now, it takes too long to use and takes far to long to reach its target. Between the existence of shields and the ridiculous damage some enemies do, Healing in Warframe is honestly quite week, does this mean I want Renewal to go? No, I like the Idea, and Phoenix renewal is a really neat augment. The problem is its hard to use Renewal in any really helpful capacity. By the time it reaches its target they are either already healed or dead. You can keep track of peoples shields to try and see if it looks like anyone MIGHT need healing but you going to wast a lot of energy that way. The problem is Renewal is a reactive ability that reacts slowly. Don't even get me started on how it continues to sap you power after casting AND how it ends once someone reaches full health even if they are still taking damage.

This skill massively needs a rework. DE seriously needs to sit down and look at this heal and make it work. The fixes are self explanatory. I should not need to type a paragraph explaining what needs to be done. Get rid of the travel time, let it remain active after reaching full health, add a buff or damage prevention element to it, and/or heck turn it into a healing aura or something!

Sorry just thinking about this counter intuitive train wreck really irck's me.

#4 Reckoning

I really don't like this power it does not fit Oberon it does horrible damage for an ult and is horrible CC (It it's momentary AND keeps allies from dealing damage) its just a bad ugly ult. That being said I am sure you could fix it, would I want you to? No not really, I would rather have a new power. Though I am fully aware not everyone will agree. But this is my dream Oberon rework not anyone else's.

Alt #4 Wild Hunt

Oberon calls a Wildhunt summoning a pack of vicious fey beasts (Kebrow's or Kavat's shrouded in energy) that fight for him for a time. Any enemies slain by Oberon's horde have an increased chance of dropping health orbs. They might even scale off of your Kebrow's or Kavat's mods.

Augment Hallowed Hunters: Each of Oberon's fey beast's has a smaller version of Hallowed ground.

Edited by Turtlemancer

------------------------------------Introduction------------------------------------------

After having heard many ideas about how to make Oberon better, I realized it might benefit us to step back, and figure out exactly who Oberon is, and what he needs to be.

---------------------------------------What is Oberon?-----------------------------------------------------

The most common consensus is that he is a Paladin/Druid Hybrid.

So I wiki-pedia-ed  "Paladin" and "Druid", and came across a Wikipedia-level summary of the origins of the themes.

(Those who wish to follow my footsteps, make sure to get the page with the suffix "(Character class)".)

Paladins, in summary, were hybrids from the start, meant to be a more durable version of a priest (Healer/tank hybrid).

But the class was eventually expanded upon to feature specialization: The player could choose to focus on Melee DPS, Healing, or Tanking, and ALMOST ignore the other aspects of the hybrid.

On a Fun-facts note, "Paladin" literally means "Hero" or "Champion".

Druids, in summary were a specialization class from the beginning, With multiple forms to shape-shift into to focus on certain roles (And literally, almost all of them: Melee DPS, Ranged DPS caster, Healer, Tank, CC, so on).

However, their base, un-shape-shifted form is usually tied to spell-casting damage and Healing.

On a Fun-facts note, "Druidism" was an actual religion/philosophy in ancient rome, who spent a great deal of time in forests, practicing human sacrifice, and learning intelligent trades such as poetry and doctor-hood.

So, in a sense, Oberon is a Hybrid of Specialized Hybrids, with both of his two themes both having a primary role in Healing, and sub-role in both tanking and Melee damage.

--------------------------------------What would make Oberon like this?-------------------------------------------------

Taking this into account, Oberon, if stuck to his themes, would be a highly-specialize-able (Aka: mod him to make him fit the role), Healer who could be modded to specialize in roles such as tanking, casting, and melee.

One way to do this would be to give him a kit of multi-faceted powers, and modding him would greatly increase certain facets of them, while decreasing/leaving neglected other facets.

For an example, Perhaps +Health and +Armor mods would increase the Tanking aspects of his powers, such as Increasing damage-resistance multipliers, etc.

-------------------------------------------Final words----------------------------------------------------

This post is greatly flawed, as I am still trying to figure all this out myself. After all, the base idea (That Oberon is a Paladin/Druid hybrid) is complex in-itself. Some people dissent with this view, and claim he is supposed to only be one or the other. And then you have the issue about how to make him feel "Able to specialize in different things" without feeling "Jack-of-all-trades"-y

But overall, I'd like to see a frame meet the challenge, and I'd like this thread's input on this.

So, please, anything you have to add, dispute, argue, or comment, please do so.

For the cause of Oberon Improvement !

On 8/23/2016 at 9:52 PM, chainchompguy3 said:

------------------------------------Introduction------------------------------------------

After having heard many ideas about how to make Oberon better, I realized it might benefit us to step back, and figure out exactly who Oberon is, and what he needs to be.

---------------------------------------What is Oberon?-----------------------------------------------------

The most common consensus is that he is a Paladin/Druid Hybrid.

So I wiki-pedia-ed  "Paladin" and "Druid", and came across a Wikipedia-level summary of the origins of the themes.

(Those who wish to follow my footsteps, make sure to get the page with the suffix "(Character class)".)

Paladins, in summary, were hybrids from the start, meant to be a more durable version of a priest (Healer/tank hybrid).

But the class was eventually expanded upon to feature specialization: The player could choose to focus on Melee DPS, Healing, or Tanking, and ALMOST ignore the other aspects of the hybrid.

On a Fun-facts note, "Paladin" literally means "Hero" or "Champion".

Druids, in summary were a specialization class from the beginning, With multiple forms to shape-shift into to focus on certain roles (And literally, almost all of them: Melee DPS, Ranged DPS caster, Healer, Tank, CC, so on).

However, their base, un-shape-shifted form is usually tied to spell-casting damage and Healing.

On a Fun-facts note, "Druidism" was an actual religion/philosophy in ancient rome, who spent a great deal of time in forests, practicing human sacrifice, and learning intelligent trades such as poetry and doctor-hood.

So, in a sense, Oberon is a Hybrid of Specialized Hybrids, with both of his two themes both having a primary role in Healing, and sub-role in both tanking and Melee damage.

--------------------------------------What would make Oberon like this?-------------------------------------------------

Taking this into account, Oberon, if stuck to his themes, would be a highly-specialize-able (Aka: mod him to make him fit the role), Healer who could be modded to specialize in roles such as tanking, casting, and melee.

One way to do this would be to give him a kit of multi-faceted powers, and modding him would greatly increase certain facets of them, while decreasing/leaving neglected other facets.

For an example, Perhaps +Health and +Armor mods would increase the Tanking aspects of his powers, such as Increasing damage-resistance multipliers, etc.

-------------------------------------------Final words----------------------------------------------------

This post is greatly flawed, as I am still trying to figure all this out myself. After all, the base idea (That Oberon is a Paladin/Druid hybrid) is complex in-itself. Some people dissent with this view, and claim he is supposed to only be one or the other. And then you have the issue about how to make him feel "Able to specialize in different things" without feeling "Jack-of-all-trades"-y

But overall, I'd like to see a frame meet the challenge, and I'd like this thread's input on this.

So, please, anything you have to add, dispute, argue, or comment, please do so.

For the cause of Oberon Improvement !

Good post. Good editing. I read the whole thing. I think this sums up Oberon perfectly - his powers do match this description even if they fall short. Gonna try to add to this.

-------------------------------------How to simplify the Paladin + Druid Hybrid---------------------------

Let's try to categorize his abilities to suit. 

Under Druid we have: 

• Long range DPS Casting.
  • Crowd Control.
  • Beast-master passive ability.

Under Paladin we have:

• Melee DPS.
  • Tanking.
  • Healing.

----------------------------How to structure his abilities for both-------------------------

With just a few small additions we can start to get him functioning more like we want him to

Starting with Paladin: 

• Changing Renewal's negative duration would instantly make it work better with Hallowed Ground for increased survivability.
  • Adding a melee buff to hallowed ground. 
  • Have an increased armor buff. - Or a damage reduction on renewal that stacks when using Renewal+Hallowed Ground.
  • Remove the cap on renewal's duration

For Druid:

• Smite and Reckoning cover most of this well but could use a slight buff to function: 
    •  Interactive smite orbs - Aiming down the sights select a target for them if one isn't already assigned. ("Weaken" status effect stacks with each orb hit)
    • Reckoning now inflicts a "weaken" status on survivors.
    • Passive is fine assuming DE will add more wildlife in the future. 

(Disclaimer: I am rather tired at the moment, and also kind of rushed, so this reply may not be as intellectually sound as my last one).

18 minutes ago, BeardyKyle said:

Good post. Good editing. I read the whole thing. I think this sums up Oberon perfectly - his powers do match this description even if they fall short. Gonna try to add to this.

-------------------------------------How to simplify the Paladin + Druid Hybrid---------------------------

Let's try to categorize his abilities to suit. 

Under Druid we have: 

• Long range DPS Casting.
  • Crowd Control.
  • Beast-master passive ability.

Under Paladin we have:

• Melee DPS.
  • Tanking.
  • Healing.

----------------------------How to structure his abilities for both-------------------------

With just a few small additions we can start to get him functioning more like we want him to

Starting with Paladin: 

• Changing Renewal's negative duration would instantly make it work better with Hallowed Ground for increased survivability.
  • Adding a melee buff to hallowed ground. 
  • Have an increased armor buff. - Or a damage reduction on renewal that stacks when using Renewal+Hallowed Ground.
  • Remove the cap on renewal's duration

For Druid:

• Smite and Reckoning cover most of this well but could use a slight buff to function: 
    •  Interactive smite orbs - Aiming down the sights select a target for them if one isn't already assigned. ("Weaken" status effect stacks with each orb hit)
    • Reckoning now inflicts a "weaken" status on survivors.
    • Passive is fine assuming DE will add more wildlife in the future. 

I don't quite understand what you're getting at here, so let me ask some questions.

You say "How to simplify the Paladin + Druid hybrid", yet the following portion of your post lists Druid as Long-Range DPS Casting, CC, and ...Beast-master Passive? I thought I covered that Druids were far more specialize-able than just those three things. And while yes, many druids have beast-master type passives, it is not an inherent trait of them, as many others shape-shift, and some simply have spiritual projections in place of actual animals.

And the changes you propose...I'm sorry, But I don't see how some of them will make him better fit his hybrid-ized role. After all, The biggest problem I see with his hybridized role is how to mod him: He already has healing, CC, Casting Damage, a small melee component (Knockdowns on 2 abilities, and ground finishers are a thing.), and some degree of tankiness.

But Try to mod him for, say, tanking. You throw on Durability mods, like vitality and steel fiber, but then what? If you go for Power strength, you increase the protections provided by Hallowed Ground, But you also buff his damage and healing of the other abilities. range increases his Hallowed ground's length of effect, but specifically modding for it with Over-extended makes it a lot less effective. Duration will buff how long his HG will stay around, but modding for that will destroy his range with Narrow minded.

His kit is already half-decent, but you can't do much with it, so far as specializing him, which is one of the core aspects to Paladins and Druids.

(Though, on a smaller note, "Weaken"/Puncture proc's seem rather ineffective for actual CC or tanking. His 1 applying it is already almost a waste....)