The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Models Clipping Within Themselves Should Not Pass Quality-Check

Casardis

There are times I praise DE's art in the game, but there are other times I have to question and criticize its quality-check. These are a few of them.
Warning: I may sound very indignant, but I do think that my criticizing is justified, especially since I'll even go into details as to why I find them "unacceptable", along with a few suggestions. Please, bear with me.

Trinity Prime
"It's as clipping was part of Trinity Prime's design."

This is a line one of my friends said on Reddit a while back, and it remains true even today. While Warframes have never been about having "practical designs" for the most part, but rather a favor towards unique styling, Trinity Prime's design has many flaws that, I think, should not be overlooked. This is especially important because most of the time, when playing, we are looking at the Warframe's back, which is where most of these visual issues happen with Trinity Prime.

Helmet Hula-Hoop
For one thing, the helmet dangly bit can easily clip into everything of Trinity's skirt. However, more importantly is that it can also move to the front and into the legs, causing even more clipping animations but also a "why are these two bits linked together" thought from certain people. On a technical standpoint, it looks bad because it clips into her own model (again, it's not like it was a syandana or anything, it's part of her whole model), and from a practical standpoint, it makes me wonder why they're not separated. It just doesn't make sense, and creates visual anomalies when it collides with her.

mTnVZeZ.jpg

Suggestions
- Make the dangly bit on the helmet an Auxiliary Cosmetic, just like Valkyr's Bonds and Nekros' Mortos Binds. That way we can toggle on and off.
- Make the dangly bit separated ropes, instead of a hula-hoop. This will prevent a lot of clipping issues on the back, as well as preventing the "stuck in legs" scenario where it goes to the front.

Skirt-bulbs
First of all, I have no idea what they're supposed to be. However, the most important thing is that, no matter how the Warframe's positioned, no matter which default Trinity idle animation you use (none, Noble, Agile), the clipping of these "bulbs" will automatically occur with the skirt's flaps. Again, I stress it, these are part of her default Trinity Prime model, yet it clips into her own stuff. It might sound harsh when I say it like this, but I really, really fail to see how this passed quality-test, and why it hasn't been addressed by the art team even months after Trinity Prime's release.

Tjk2upF.jpg

Suggestions
- Change these bulbs' positioning. Simple really. You can even change it to a single bulb at the tip of the "tail."
- Remove them entirely. If they're going to be an eyesore like this, it might as well not be here.

I'm being very harsh with this criticism here because DE's come very far with the art of Warframe and its quality, especially with the latest updates. However, I do not believe I'm being unreasonable with my words here, since clipping into one's own model while idle is something rarely seen even in Warframe. Sometimes it's small clipping stuff, such as the tip of a cloth clipping into the ankle depending on some movements, but here it's medium-large models clipping into another large one while the Warframe is completely staying still (meaning it will still clip, if not more, while they're moving).

So please, DE, can you make the necessary fixes for her model? It doesn't have to be my suggestions, as I'm only giving this here as constructive criticism, but at least do something about our dear gilded lobster queen.

Saryn Prime

As someone else pointed out in a different topic (which I have trouble finding right now), her shoulder pads don't seem to be linked to the right bones in her skeleton (I'm not talking literally; I'm using the technical terms when talking about animated mesh files). As a result, unlike her regular counterpart, many actions she perform from her OWN ANIMATION SETS (or default ones) will cause clipping within her own model.

Performing her Noble idle animation. Front and side of her head clips into shoulder pad.
jwLnP5Pl.jpg

Performing a regular slide with head in neutral position. Side of the head clips into shoulder pad.
FCcyNoel.jpg

Not as clear here, but the shoulder pad actually clips into the head/neck of Saryn Prime in her own promo image, if we were to think with perspective. It's just hidden well, whether it's true or by the works of photoshop.
9m4mi9El.jpg

Suggestions
- Reassign the bones linked to the shoulder pads or make it work more properly by fixing the current ones.

Lotus Noggle

It may only be a simple cosmetic item for your ship that you buy with plat, and it's true you get a great preview of it when viewing from the market, but why was she released this way when both of her arms clip into her veil/scarf? I do not, for a single second, believe that DE couldn't see this flaw in the making of space-mom bobblehead, so for some reason, this passed quality-check.

Note that the model is STATIC, so the fault isn't within cloth physics.

qifXdk3l.jpg

These may not be game-breaking bugs in any ways, and I can understand them not being priorities, but I still think the visual aspect of the game, which is mostly beautiful by the way (especially with the latest lighting/texture compression changes), is still of great importance. Please, DE, do not make these kind of stuff "standard quality" or "intended."

Edited by Casardis