Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream #72 Overview

AM-Bunny

2 hours ago, UrielColtan said:

Just wanted to comment on Steve's operator comments in the Devstream.

Big chested bearded strong guy with an eyepatch? Not everyone has as narrow a vision, or fall for such false dichotomies, Steve, though if they want that, then so what? You should let them have their immersion. This wasn't an established single-player-protagonist-character offline game, and this game thrived off of custom immersion. I remember how the likes of Geoff pointed out the virtue of the player choosing how they actually are in or behind the frame in the early days, and not killing that with such moves like this. It disgust me how this desire is being mocked, especially when I invested my money into this game off of this understanding.

This should be about respecting the player's immersion, if they are not a hipster little kid or wish to not have the identity of one in the game, then obviously personalization is gone. Why did swapping frames even need an explanation beyond a convenient gameplay feature, especially when you don't need to explain changing the operator's sex, race or face? Why do the Tenno behind the Warframe even have to be contrary to the frames, to the point of not even wearing them? If there is anything more stereotypically angsty-teen(Beyond the angsty teen cosmetics you have for the operators) then its this obsession and adherence to anything "ironic".

Was the suspense and threat of actually being killed in the frame itself, bleeding and needing oxygen, not enough conveyance of vulnerability, particularly with such backgrounds as Valky'rs or Mirage's? The idea behind the Gradivus Dilemma before the operator retcon, and the Zanuka shenanigans in general?   If there was anymore of a way to remove player concern from the figures they are adopting, boy howdy. You made the frames superfluous glorified sentinels. Even Evangelion has the angsty teens actually piloting the biorganic angel slaves and being in physical risk. You ended up making the frames immortal and took the Tenno out of them and the frontlines completely.  The baby carebear stare feels tacky by comparison to the original understanding, and even Eva, it makes me less concerned for their agency or the rescuing of other Warframes as with prior events, as the Tenno are not even in the things. You made the Grineer and Corpus look practically innocent in their trangressions against the Tenno and nigh sympathetic from this trainwreck reveal. You even had to ruin Lotus and Stalker to push it. Surprise surprise that there are some people who dislike it.

So much this.

8 hours ago, UrielColtan said:

Surprise surprise that there are some people who dislike it.

Oh wow. It's not like DE so totally didn't see that coming or totally warned us in the tweet before the 2nd dream.

at this point complaining about this is like complaining about Luke being Vader's son and how that is such a cliche plot to go with. 

5 minutes ago, Aimop95 said:

Oh wow. It's not like DE so totally didn't see that coming or totally warned us in the tweet before the 2nd dream.

at this point complaining about this is like complaining about Luke being Vader's son and how that is such a cliche plot to go with. 

So much this.

14 minutes ago, Aimop95 said:

That's a terrible analogy, though. You never developed any sort of personal connection to Luke or were allowed to fantasize about the lore surrounded in mystery or make Luke be whatever you wished him to be so you could have a personal feel behind your work and persona in game.

It would be more fitting to say that it's like complaining that Dath Vader used to be that brat Anakyn that turned emo. As if telling you that your legendary, badass warrior is just an emo kid that didn't get what he wanted-- wait, people do complain about it =p

Actually! better yet. Samus from Metroid. People always thought she was badass, quiet and just flat out amazing. Then, Nintendo decides to give her "back story" and turns her into an emotional, bratty piece of **** that you're supposed to sympathize with reducing your image of your amazing hero to that of another character from a teenage drama book. It split the community right in half and I see signs of that here-- cept not as dire since most people in the boards just nod and smile to whatever they are given.

Edited by Heatnix.

3 minutes ago, Heatnix. said:

That's a terrible analogy, though. You never developed any sort of personal connection to Luke or were allowed to fantasize about the lore surrounded in mystery or make Luke be whatever you wished him to be so you could have a personal feel behind your work and persona in game.

It would be more fitting to say that it's like complaining that Dath Vader used to be that brat Anakyn that turned emo. As if telling you that your legendary, badass warrior is just an emo kid that didn't get what he wanted-- wait, people do complain about it =p

Good analogy or not, it's still canon and an incredibly important event, so much so that David Filoni had to create two animated series where they actually give enough character to Anakin so that his whiny nature actually makes sense in the 3rd movie.

In any sense, Operators being us/Tenno is as big an event as Anakin becoming Darth Vader. We can't change that fact anymore than we can change Hayden Christensen's acting (I personally thought the tenno reveal was pulled off masterfully).

11 minutes ago, Aimop95 said:

Good analogy or not, it's still canon and an incredibly important event, so much so that David Filoni had to create two animated series where they actually give enough character to Anakin so that his whiny nature actually makes sense in the 3rd movie.

In any sense, Operators being us/Tenno is as big an event as Anakin becoming Darth Vader. We can't change that fact anymore than we can change Hayden Christensen's acting (I personally thought the tenno reveal was pulled off masterfully).

Agreed, I personally felt the Operator/Tenno reveal was great. I embraced it within a mindset that it made more sense swapping between Warframes and oddly attached me more emotionally to them like my children, since they seem a bit more than mere metal (they bleed and maybe have some degree of consciousness of their own? I digress.), and at any rate I can identify / immerse myself (or my customized Operator) within the Operator despite the Warframe's bodily build, gender, etc.

2 hours ago, FrontierFighter said:

Agreed, I personally felt the Operator/Tenno reveal was great. I embraced it within a mindset that it made more sense swapping between Warframes and oddly attached me more emotionally to them like my children, since they seem a bit more than mere metal (they bleed and maybe have some degree of consciousness of their own? I digress.), and at any rate I can identify / immerse myself (or my customized Operator) within the Operator despite the Warframe's bodily build, gender, etc.

Well said.

@THEWULFMAN

The thing is, that's not actually an unpopular opinion. There's a very loud minority who keep complaining about it, but the number of people who like the quest and its developments outnumber them. It's that the people who like Second Dream and the true nature of the Tenno are mostly just getting on with playing the game and looking forward to future quests.

Edited by BornWithTeeth