Jump to content

Teplo 2.0 Syandana WIP Thread


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, armedpoop said:

You making it and it actually making into the game are 2 separate things tho.

Agreed. I'm just letting everyone know that I'm making a second attempt and revising the concept so DE wont have a reason not to put it in.

Edited by KWANi
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KWANi said:

I've been using Maya/Zbrush/Subtance Painter/Photoshop/Topogun/3D Coat. It doesn't matter which program as long as it gets the job done, right?

Cheers.

Knowing the program used helps to give an idea of the workflow and relevant criticism/advice, that's all. For example, saying "add more edgeloops" when someone is working in ZBrush doesn't really fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KWANi said:

Agreed. I'm just letting everyone know that I'm making a second attempt and revising the concept so DE wont have a reason not to put it in.

 

I heard that it was unable to be implemented due to technical limitations. If this is true, then I don't see how any changes can be made that don't involve completely destroying the entire base concept of the syandana, ergo wiping the slate clean and potentially removing some's personal appeal to it.

Apologies if I seem rude, especially regarding the fact I have no experience in 3D modeling or any form of digital art at all. I'm also incredibly pessimistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KWANi said:

Agreed. I'm just letting everyone know that I'm making a second attempt and revising the concept so DE wont have a reason not to put it in.

I hope it works out cause it is a sexy syandana.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, alexmach1 said:

Knowing the program used helps to give an idea of the workflow and relevant criticism/advice, that's all. For example, saying "add more edgeloops" when someone is working in ZBrush doesn't really fit.

I get what you're saying. I just tell people to use what they feel comfortable with since workflows are evolving all the time with new programs popping up all the time. Having a definite workflow would probably more relevant ten years ago when there weren't that many options. It's kind of like saying this program is better then that EX: Max is better then Maya debate, yes they both have different algorithms but they both have the same fundamentals.  You can add edge loops in Zbrush with Zmodeler/Polyloops, its just semantics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not meaning to discourage you, but if you have worked at animation or game studio, then you'll know that some models require constant fix, supervision, trial and error until you get it right. Steamworkshop's condition isn't very conductive for this kind of work. You make a model, wait few months, it got rejected because technical issue, you remake the model again but the worst part is DE didn't actually tell you what's wrong so there's a chance you actually make it worse, then wait for a few months again to know if you get it right or not. And if not, you have to do it again then wait for few months again. It's literally a long term gambling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LazerSkink said:

 

I heard that it was unable to be implemented due to technical limitations. If this is true, then I don't see how any changes can be made that don't involve completely destroying the entire base concept of the syandana, ergo wiping the slate clean and potentially removing some's personal appeal to it.

Apologies if I seem rude, especially regarding the fact I have no experience in 3D modeling or any form of digital art at all. I'm also incredibly pessimistic.

DE said it would be a "clipping nightmare" but I see a lot of stuff that got into the workshop/ and DE content that fits that description, so I'm guessing its more political (like with Umbra) or something they're not willing to disclose. The concept is very different from what I submitted the first time around so I have no way of knowing how people will respond until I submit it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rekkou said:

Not meaning to discourage you, but if you have worked at animation or game studio, then you'll know that some models require constant fix, supervision, trial and error until you get it right. Steamworkshop's condition isn't very conductive for this kind of work. You make a model, wait few months, it got rejected because technical issue, you remake the model again but the worst part is DE didn't actually tell you what's wrong so there's a chance you actually make it worse, then wait for a few months again to know if you get it right or not. And if not, you have to do it again then wait for few months again. It's literally a long term gambling.

That was my concern too but DE mentioned recently they're going to be adding more rounds into the mix so the response time will be a lot faster and more stuff will get accepted. The Steam Workshop is still pretty new for WF and it looks like they're really putting in the time to making it better. It is a gamble but the reward is worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, KWANi said:

DE said it would be a "clipping nightmare" but I see a lot of stuff that got into the workshop/ and DE content that fits that description, so I'm guessing its more political (like with Umbra) or something they're not willing to disclose. The concept is very different from what I submitted the first time around so I have no way of knowing how people will respond until I submit it.

I will admit that my Jattuk clips with a few frames since I could not preview how it looks with animations applied, but clipping should be the exception and not the rule. Build your syandana with the frames' silhouettes in mind. For example, you can either concentrate your design around the neck like a neckerchief or make the cloth move between fringe cases like Saryn's shoulders and Chroma's wings. Just post your progress on this forum and others will be able to offer feedback as you work. You can also ask for more advice the next time an AMA comes around. Simply posting the finished product on the workshop with no progress shots or feedback just opens the way to frustration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alexmach1 said:

 

I will admit that my Jattuk clips with a few frames since I could not preview how it looks with animations applied, but clipping should be the exception and not the rule. Build your syandana with the frames' silhouettes in mind. For example, you can either concentrate your design around the neck like a neckerchief or make the cloth move between fringe cases like Saryn's shoulders and Chroma's wings. Just post your progress on this forum and others will be able to offer feedback as you work. You can also ask for more advice the next time an AMA comes around. Simply posting the finished product on the workshop with no progress shots or feedback just opens the way to frustration.

To put it bluntly, I was told by Kary that clipping is definitely an issue and it wasn't really something they're going to overlook, so yes the design will have to be worked around for that very reason. I'll be posting up some WIP when I have something to work with, this is just merely a place holder.

Edited by KWANi
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing! I loved the first one and wanted it in the game. 

If this version of it makes it in, you will have my money, guaranteed.


On an offtopic Question, what are your PC specs? I kinda want to try 3d modeling but I've been told I need a good PC, and I want some advice from someone experienced.

Cheers! Will wait for updates!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PainisDeWitt said:

Amazing! I loved the first one and wanted it in the game. 

If this version of it makes it in, you will have my money, guaranteed.


On an offtopic Question, what are your PC specs? I kinda want to try 3d modeling but I've been told I need a good PC, and I want some advice from someone experienced.

Cheers! Will wait for updates!

Thanks mate

I've had this rig for a few years:

16g RAM

GTX680 4g 256bit

i7 3770 quad core

1tHD

I recommend having at least 8gigs of RAM and a GPU with Dx11+ should be sufficient enough to do 3D until the "next gen" starts using Dx12/386bit gpus. You could probably get away with lesser rigs but you'll run into problems when you have larger files with higher subdivisions, crashing and stalling. A beefy HD is also recommended 1tb/2tb *at least. Thanks and good luck!

Edited by KWANi
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2016 at 5:39 AM, KWANi said:

To put it bluntly, I was told by Kary that clipping is definitely an issue and it wasn't really something they're going to overlook, so yes the design will have to be worked around for that very reason. I'll be posting up some WIP when I have something to work with, this is just merely a place holder.

I think one thing that put me off was the cloth was too wide and loose. i think something that would work is if it they were thinner, probably about the same thickness as the nsaru or a tad bit bigger, and probably one wrap around the neck instead of the multiple wraps you had inorder to slim the silhouette. another thing would be to model it on more than just excal (the plainest of the frames). use frames that have known clipping issues (saryn, nova, etc.) and work around them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordOfScrugging said:

I think one thing that put me off was the cloth was too wide and loose. i think something that would work is if it they were thinner, probably about the same thickness as the nsaru or a tad bit bigger, and probably one wrap around the neck instead of the multiple wraps you had inorder to slim the silhouette. another thing would be to model it on more than just excal (the plainest of the frames). use frames that have known clipping issues (saryn, nova, etc.) and work around them.

Every Syandana in the game clips on something, its not perfect. It was just the wrap around clipping issues (around the neck), at least that's what I was told.  I've already addressed all those issues you just mentioned with the new one I'm in the process of making (size being too big, clipping,etc). I feel like a broken record because a lot of people don't read before they post and I have to keep saying the same things over and over again lol. If wrap around wasn't a big issue they would have a bunch already. This is on the workshop page if you haven't seen it:  http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/359527686141130669/AD1C170395D78B7233DD63979E6A8B2D6B9887BC/

As soon as I'm done with this zephyr helmet, I'll be working on this.

 

Edited by KWANi
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KWANi said:

Every Syandana in the game clips on something, its not perfect. It was just the wrap around clipping issues (around the neck), at least that's what I was told.  I've already addressed all those issues you just mentioned with the new one I'm in the process of making (size being too big, clipping,etc). I feel like a broken record because a lot of people don't read before they post and I have to keep saying the same things over and over again lol. If wrap around wasn't a big issue they would have a bunch already. This is on the workshop page if you haven't seen it:  http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/359527686141130669/AD1C170395D78B7233DD63979E6A8B2D6B9887BC/

As soon as I'm done with this zephyr helmet, I'll be working on this.

 

I didn't mean that all syandanas have clipping issues, i was more referencing the frames that are the issue since you'd generally need to work around it. But from your 1.0 version, i think the weird humpback/hodd thing is kinda off. as with the multitude of wrapping around the neck, a scarf doesn't really look like that. Would love to see the finished product when you finish it however.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Word of advice, post some links or pictures or something in the original post. I know it sounds lazy from my standpoint, but really not going to care much if I have to dig through your profile to find out what this syandana looks like / previously looked like.

Edited by Camelslayer
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Camelslayer said:

Word of advice, post some links or pictures or something in the original post. I know it sounds lazy from my standpoint, but really not going to care much if I have to dig through your profile to find out what this syandana looks like / previously looked like.

 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=606512266

Spoiler

 

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...