Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Oberon druid inspired redisign

Tythbalt

Before we begin, a bit of backstory. So a few weeks ago I posted a concept for Oberon which focused on improving his design and bringing him closer to his paladin identity (you can check it out by going to my profile and checking my activity~), while the thread was active a person pointed out how Oberon could be also reworked to be inspired on his druid theme. I immediately was inspired by this and began working on a concept for a druid Oberon. Fastfoward to a few days ago when the Oberon feyarch skin was released. Immidiately I KNEW I had to finish this concept which I have had on hold for a while (thanks to (PS4)Simmermon008 for the inspiration).

-------

Goals with the rework:

#1 To redisign Oberon in a way that he fulfills a druid fantasy theme.

#2 address his current issues in game (scaling and role identity issues)

#3 Make his abilities more synergistic with each other.

-------

Stats

Health: 125 (375 at lvl 30)

Shield: 100 (300 at lvl 30)

Armor: 120

Power: 150 (225 at lvl 30)

Thease stats are simmilar to his current ones, however with a nerf in armor and buff in power as he will be casting abilities alot more often in this rework.

------

Abilities.

Passive: Fae companions.

Two sprites constantly follow Oberon wherever he goes. The sprites will grab pickups for Oberon and apply buffs to the squad depending on what they picked up (they dont pick up resources or mods however).

Energy orb: The squad will gain energy regen for a few seconds (1 energy per second over 10 seconds) . (scaling with duration and pwr str)
Health orb: The squad will gain a damage reduction buff and heal(10% base damage reduction for 15 seconds and 25 healing) . (scaling with pwr str and duration)
Ammo: The squad will gain a boost to their weapon damage (10% base increase for 15 seconds). (scaling with pwr str and duration)

Ocassionally the sprites may attack a target if there are no pickups around. Their attacks scale with melee mods and have a 50% viral proc chance. (150 base damage increasing with pwr str and melee mods)

Tl;Dr Oberon has pets which pick stuff up and buff the squad depending on what they pick up. they sometimes smack enemies as well.

-

#1 Nature's wrath. (25 energy)

Oberon singles out one enemy and grows a tree around it, encasing it in wood (works simmilar to petrifying or freezing an enemy). The tree then grows its roots which will seek out 5 enemies (the ammount of enemies scales with pwr str)  and incapacitates them by growing its roots around them (essentially it is a stun).

Tl;Dr Works just like smite but pure CC instead of dealing damage.

-

#2 Leeching vines. (25 energy)

Oberon wraps the enemy in vampiric plants which leech out health from its target. The plants immobilize the enemy (for 20s base) while at the same time dealing damage (125 dps scaling with pwr str). Every time the vines deal damage to the target, or an outside source deals damage to it, there is a chance for the enemy to drop a health orb (25% base).

*Special interaction* If Leeching vines is cast on a target trapped by Nature's wrath the vines will deal damage to all targets rooted by the tree as well as the main target. Additionally, if the main target trapped inside the tree is killed while under the effects of Leeching vines, a wood golem will spawn. The wood golem will randomly attack and CC enemies (with impact procs) for 10 seconds (flat, does not increase with duration). The wood golem is essentially a very weak version of atlas rumblers.

Tl:Dr CC 1 target and drop health orbs. Cast on a group trapped by #1 and drop many health orbs. Kill main target inside #1 to get an additional pet.

-

#3 Butterfly ward / Wave of locusts (ability changes depending on if the target is an ally or an enemy) (75 Energy)

"Wave of locusts:" Oberon calls a swarm of locusts to plague the target, causing it to take damage over time (150 dps scaling with pwr) and reducing its accuracy while occasionally staggering it. If another enemy approaches the affected target it will also be affected by the locust swarm causing it to spread (think of scarab swarm for inaros) (damage and CC time also scale with duration).

"Butterfly ward:" Oberon calls a storm of helpful butterflies to protect his targetted ally giving it a damage absorbing shield (like nezha halo or rhino skin). Additionally if there are any other allies in range of the affected target the butterflies will fly to them to provide the same protection (this spread follows the same logic as wave of locusts). As the butterfly ward takes damage, energy is restored to the affected players (25% of damage taken is converted to energy).

Note: While a target is still being affected by either effect of this ability, it cannot be cast again until it ends.

*Special interaction* If "Butterfly ward" is cast on a wood golem, the golem will cast "Wave of locusts" on the nearest enemy.

Tl;Dr Shoot annoying bugs at enemies or shield allies with butterflies. If you are foreveralone Shoot butterflies at your wood golem.

-

#4 Forest's rage (100 energy) (effect changes depending on if you tap #4 or press and hold #4)

Forest's rage: Oberon calls forth Voracious bramble covered roots from the floor to impale enemies around him and lift them in the air, then immidiately slam them back onto the ground dealing massive damage and applying bleed status (1000 slash damage is dealt when the roots impale the target and 1000 impact is dealt again when dropping them. bleed damage is equal to a 25% of the targets maximum health scaling with pwr strength over 5 seconds). If Oberon holds the ability long enough (press #4 for 3 seconds) the roots will stay in place with the impaled enemies instead of slamming them onto the ground dealing constant bleed damage. Additionally Oberon's sprites will be drawn to furiously attack any enemies suspended by the roots.

Tl;Dr tap to use an ability simmilar to reckoning in live. Press and hold to CC an entire room of enemies by impaling them on spiky roots.

-------

Rundown: This Oberon is an extreamly offensive support frame (oposite of trinity who is more of a tank support) with many CC options and supporting options.

How to play him: Press #1 to CC a group of enemies, then cast your #2 on them to generate health orb pickups for your team and your passive, also make sure to kill the main target of your #1 to spawn a wood golem. Once you have your wood golem you can cast #3 on it to shield your entire squad (or just yourself if you are alone as #3 cannot be cast on oberon by himself) while at the same time debuffing all the enemies. Lastly if you run out of options press and hold your #4 to mass crowd control a huge number of enemies around you.

And with that we are done! Thank you so much for reading this HUGE wall of text with no pretty pictures (I know I know, its painful). Please do not be afraid to leave criticism in the comments as I am compleatly open to discussion. Ive been holding onto this concept for a while now, but when feyarch oberon released I felt compelled to finish it. Thanks again for reading and have a nice day! (and follow the thread ;D)

Edited by Tythbalt

I honestly don't really have any complaints about any of the mechanics in this rework.

I do have the "complaint" however that Oberon is a Paladin, not a Druid. His current abilities are already unique and don't need replacement, only tweaks to work; and these abilities you've come up with might as well be put on a whole new frame.

11 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:

I honestly don't really have any complaints about any of the mechanics in this rework.

I do have the "complaint" however that Oberon is a Paladin, not a Druid. His current abilities are already unique and don't need replacement, only tweaks to work; and these abilities you've come up with might as well be put on a whole new frame.

I compleatly agree, I made this rework with that thought at the back of my head, "why am i making a compleatly new frame and slapping oberon on it?", however the reason why it is not so is because i have alredy done a rework for a paladin oberon and felt like taking a compleatly new twist to it. Also, note the feyarch skin, it just SCREAMS druid to me so it only inspired me further.

Edit: forgot to mention. its funny you bring this up, because while making the oberon paladin rework, many people pointed out to me oberon was a druid frame and not just a paladin ;P

Edited by Tythbalt

18 minutes ago, Tythbalt said:

I compleatly agree, I made this rework with that thought at the back of my head, "why am i making a compleatly new frame and slapping oberon on it?", however the reason why it is not so is because i have alredy done a rework for a paladin oberon and felt like taking a compleatly new twist to it. Also, note the feyarch skin, it just SCREAMS druid to me so it only inspired me further.

Edit: forgot to mention. its funny you bring this up, because while making the oberon paladin rework, many people pointed out to me oberon was a druid frame and not just a paladin ;P

Yeah. I really just think you should pitch this as a new frame not a rework.

Those people would be wrong- oberon's own description/codex or something somewhere calls him a paladin lol.

3 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:

Yeah. I really just think you should pitch this as a new frame not a rework.

Those people would be wrong- oberon's own description/codex or something somewhere calls him a paladin lol.

I would make a new frame, however I dont really consider myself good enough at concept design to actually make a fully new frame from scratch, also making a new frame is VERY difficult without artists willing to portray your design (i am no artist so i cant really put any art on my concepts) and unfortunately without art, concepts never really take hold.

1 minute ago, (PS4)RaivynLyken said:

Honestly. I actually would play this version of him. I'm not impressed with his "paladin" play style. He feels squishy and just... Boring. I barely play him to due his current play style, but this? I'd switch Equinox out as my main for him.

Awesome to hear that! Funny you mention equinox, as that frame provided a challenge when making this concept. I was constantly checking equinox to see if i accidentally coppied something from them (i dont have equinox yet so i dont really know their stuff 100%). As for current oberon, He is actually my favorite and most played frame to date! (much love goes into my reworks for him).

Just now, (PS4)RaivynLyken said:

I'm scared as Hell of Locusts. Like I can't be near one or see one, lol.

LOL all the more reason to keep it as locusts. the more filthy and disgusting we make the enemies feel the less time they will have to shoot us!

3 minutes ago, Tythbalt said:

LOL all the more reason to keep it as locusts. the more filthy and disgusting we make the enemies feel the less time they will have to shoot us!

LOL. They're okay for the design. Honestly, with the whole fae and mystical look. I'd see him using something more potent than locusts. Hence the Dark Fae suggestion or birds.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)RaivynLyken said:

LOL. They're okay for the design. Honestly, with the whole fae and mystical look. I'd see him using something more potent than locusts. Hence the Dark Fae suggestion or birds.

Ill share a bit of insight on why i actually chose locusts and not something else. From the very begining of this concept i knew i wanted a hybrid ability that could work both offensively and defensively depending on the target. I came upon butterfly ward almost instantly as it just felt that it fit, however when making the offensive side of this ability i struggled for a bit. After some thought, i came upon locusts because they are the most OPPOSITE thing to butterflies I could think of, they are nasty flying bugs that destroy everything they come across. Locusts and butterflies make an amazing contrast in portraying the duality of the ability.

1 hour ago, Stratego89 said:

He ned buff to 2 and his 3. 1 and 4 is realy fine.

2 or 3 need damage reduction for exmpale 3 gives shield tath have 1000heatlh and sitting in radius of ability 2 gives damage reduction, because he is realy like paper at higher levels.

6 minutes ago, IfritKajiTora said:

He ned buff to 2 and his 3. 1 and 4 is realy fine.

2 or 3 need damage reduction for exmpale 3 gives shield tath have 1000heatlh and sitting in radius of ability 2 gives damage reduction, because he is realy like paper at higher levels.

Im confused by this, are you talking about Oberon live or this thread's Oberon?

Edited by Tythbalt

5 hours ago, Tythbalt said:

I would make a new frame, however I dont really consider myself good enough at concept design to actually make a fully new frame from scratch, also making a new frame is VERY difficult without artists willing to portray your design (i am no artist so i cant really put any art on my concepts) and unfortunately without art, concepts never really take hold.

That's kinda true

22 minutes ago, tennorod said:

That's kinda true

It really is, people just glance or even ignore concepts with no art. Its pretty unfortunate as many times they have good ideas and get ignored for not having art, but alas its only human nature.

19 minutes ago, Tythbalt said:

It really is, people just glance or even ignore concepts with no art. Its pretty unfortunate as many times they have good ideas and get ignored for not having art, but alas its only human nature.

Lol that's so true I kinda have the same issue 

Just now, tennorod said:

Lol that's so true I kinda have the same issue 

fortunately, you bypassed that issue and found this concept ;P hope you enjoyed reading through it! (even tho its a huge wall of text <3)