The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hate The Space Magic Gentleman?

TheLorekeeper

42 minutes ago, TotallyLagging said:

Great! Mind explaining what 'skill' does one require to play him?

I just use him for the looks and idle stances. He's the ultimate fashionframe material.

You need a skill to use his skill efficiently

Limbo is one of my favorite warframes and I've spent the most time playing as this warframe, so I've learned what to do and what not to do. He is very much misunderstood by a lot of people I feel. I've created a Do and Don't list that will hopefully help some people out and give them some ideas. Feel free to add or critique anything:

Do:
-Use Syndicate weapon augments. They're proc AoE hits through the rift (like abilities do) allowing you to kill large amounts of enemies without bringing them all into the rift with you.
-Target high priority enemies with Banish leaving the cannon fodder for your teammates. Your teammates may not realize how beneficial this is because they won't see you killing huge swathes of enemies, but in the end you'll be able to last longer in the mission because of this critical role you play.
-Try to maximize finisher damage on your melee weapon (through mods and stances). Some stances do 1600% damage on ground finishers. This will allow you to deal more damage with Banish by doing a ground finisher on the target after they are knocked down.
-Mod for duration. All of his abilities benefit greatly from longer durations.
-Mod for high energy pool. This should give you at least 450 energy max and then you can use Quick Thinking give yourself some survivability. This also consolidates your health and energy regeneration in a way. I use Zenurik to get 4 energy regen and while in the rift this gives me 6 total energy regen. With Quick Thinking, that's like getting health regen as well.
-Carry energy restore gear to quickly restore energy (and essentially health) when needed in a pinch.
-Cast Cataclysm toward distant locations with yourself rift walking outside of it. This allows you to fire into it while keeping all your enemies in front of you. You don't need to worry then about what is behind since the only targets that can hit you are in front of you in the Cataclysm bubble.
-Use AoE weapons. I've been using Ignis, Tonkor, and Staticor lately (depending on the enemy type). These allow you to fire inside of the Cataclysm (like described above) and take out large amounts of enemies without exposing yourself much.
-When inside of Cataclysm (on rare occassions), always make sure Rift Walk is active. That way you can quickly cancel Cataclysm in a pinch to save yourself from incoming damage. This can even be done while knocked down.
-In high-level missions concentrate more on selective banishment with strong finisher melee weapons or heavy single target damage weapons (like Sancti Tigris). This is why Syndicate mods are great. They allow you to concentrate on the high-priority targets while the Syndicate procs will take out the lower priority targets outside of the rift for you.

Don't:
-Cast Cataclysm with you inside of it when there are large amounts of enemies around. It is a sure fire way to die.
-Let Rift Walk expire when there are enemies around. Always keep an eye on the timer.
-Don't Banish allies thinking you are helping or saving them unless they ask for it.
-Don't stand still when facing environmental damage. Things like Napalms and Hyekka Master can still hit you with their environmental fire damage. So stay moving, Banish them while strafing on the run and then move in for the melee ground finisher for the kill.
-Don't sit back and wait for the enemy. Always move up ahead of enemy waves to seek out high priority targets before them become a problem for your team. By doing so, you'll also become a target for the enemy and take enemy fire while you're invulnerable in the Rift.
-In defense missions, don't leave Cataclysm up in between waves. Always cancel it out so that it gives your teammates time to run around and gather drops.
-In excavation missions, don't put Cataclysm up over the excavator until it has enough power to cover the excavator duration. Teammates can't carry energy containers through the Cataclysm, so you'll be denying the excavator power until Cataclysm ends. Once it has enough power, put up Cataclysm and then it'll be easy to defend it until it is finished.

Edited by Clonmac
Change 'extraction' to 'excavation'

Just now, TotallyLagging said:

Well, uh.

Okay.

What skill?

All of them, I don't know if you have noticed but a lot of people doesn't know how to play Limbo without trolling the squad or plain being useless in missions. Even in this thread you have people stating that a lot of them don't know how to use Limbo.

The first time I came across a good Limbo user was when I first played a Survival that went over 80 minutes. This, of course, was in a time when I camped more often than not. At one point, we got overwhelmed and 3 players got downed at the 50 minute mark. Just as I thought we were going to have to use revives, here comes Limbo - doing this thing - reviving everyone. At the 80 minute mark, I questioned how we were going to make it to extraction when, yet again, here comes Limbo - "there you go; you can now walk to extract" is what the gamer said.

At the time, I was a MR8 and was, completely, AMAZED by him.

I was determined to try him out so I did the quest, built him, forma'd him....and to this day - still suck at playing him.

...I'm convinced it's the hat.

Limbo is just odd. Arguably, his main problem is that the steep learning curve to understand him will lead to a playstyle that doesn't fit with the rest of the gameplay. This is a mobbing game, and yet Limbo mainly excels on 1v1 engagements. His only form of crowd control is Cataclsym, and really going inside of it is suicide because Limbo is just a squishy inside his rift as he is outside. Plus, Cataclysm has no staggers or knockdowns.

Long story short, don't expect him to be the one to destroy a lot of enemies at once; he is simply not built for it.

Limbo is hated because some major factors that are sooner or later popping out when you play him or with him.

The first is the fact that he tries to kill his enemies 1v1 on a horde game, and when he tries to fight more just gets constantly killed.

He also have got nerfed abilities compared to other frames, which are:

Nerf-invisibility(1 & 2), which brings you out of the action, uncapable of actually fighting what you want except with your skills or when Limbo banishes something(1 by 1 as ever), good for EB spammers but for me that's just boring. I still don't get why the same ability stays on two button, just doing like the 1st of Ivara could make some space for other more useful skills.

Then a nerfed-damage buff, just bring every other buffer like Nova or even Rhino and they'll do the same job without locking you out of the game in order to use it.

Also a nerfed-snow globe, which allows you to shoot targets inside of it or what limbo want to kill, just get Frost and you'll be good to go.

Also one of the major flaws is the incapacity to pick up anything when inside the rift, even a datamass. Thing that, on a  game based on loots, is REALLY annoying(can we please stop with these loot modifiers on Warframe skills before it gets out of hand?).

I have limbo, and I play him on and off.

Love how he makes energy gain non-rng, while still having offensive options (Don't like playing EV Trinity).

Like his ability to be either strategic damage dealer or semi-tank.

Okay with his looks.

Dislike how the Narrow Minded Mod is near essential, unless you decide to do large-range cataclysm and try to capitalize on rift surge augment (a rather fruitless thing to do)

Hate how people never seem to realize that they have been banished (on accident), and don't realize that they need to roll. So I end up having to chase them down and un-banish them, before they start spamming chat with "OMG the stupid game won't let me do damage!"

5 minutes ago, Clonmac said:

-snipped short to save space-

I knew most of these, but not all. Hopefully this'll help my Limbo-ing. Thanks for posting this.

14 minutes ago, HadrosaurHero said:

Also I'm not too sure at what level this isn't as effective but pressing 4 and then repressing it is an excellent clearing tool. Kill all the enemies in the room, and those that survive are knocked down.

Really? I knew it dealt blast damage, but I don't think I've seen it knockdown anything...

Maybe I'm just Oblivious?

(^ I'm probably Oblivious, regardless)

Just now, VRHmason said:

All of them, I don't know if you have noticed but a lot of people doesn't know how to play Limbo without trolling the squad or plain being useless in missions. Even in this thread you have people stating that a lot of them don't know how to use Limbo.

I apologize, I was just being an &#! there. I'm just quite miffed when it comes to "X frame requires skill" posts without stating why that particular frame needs skill ( Not abilities, mind you. ) to play. 

As far as I know there're 2 ways to play him :

1. The usual Duration + Str + Efficiency single-target-assassin build

2. The one where you put lots of range and str, and put a massive Cataclysm bubble on the map

Which, to be honest, is pretty straightforward to use, and in my opinion isn't as effective as people tend to claim. Maybe I'm missing something here, but being a single target assassin on Warframe sucks. And the Cataclysm build is... Kinda pointless, to be honest. You can achieve the same thing by simply shooting enemies outside the rift. No fancy rifting needed.

12 minutes ago, Clonmac said:

-In extraction missions, don't put Cataclysm up over the extractor until it has enough power to cover the extraction duration. Teammates can't carry energy containers through the Cataclysm, so you'll be denying the extractor power until Cataclysm ends. Once it has enough power, put up Cataclysm and then it'll be easy to defend it until it is finished.

A great post. I'd like to have a small addition towards this section though.

If you jump towards a cataclysm'd excavator with a power cell, you'll be able to get in reach before the rift makes it drop. Allowing you to power the excavator while it is in the cataclysm if your range is small enough.

48 minutes ago, TotallyLagging said:

Which, to be honest, is pretty straightforward to use, and in my opinion isn't as effective as people tend to claim. Maybe I'm missing something here, but being a single target assassin on Warframe sucks. And the Cataclysm build is... Kinda pointless, to be honest. You can achieve the same thing by simply shooting enemies outside the rift. No fancy rifting needed.

Read my post with some tips about how to use Cataclysm wisely. You're right in that just using Cataclysm blindly and running in it killing enemies is pointless. But, it shouldn't be used for that (especially since you'll probably die pretty quickly). The main point of being in the Rift (which can't be ignored) is the fact that with Rift Surge, any damage you do is amplified by x200+ damage. On top of that, by casting Cataclysm at a distant location and Rift Walking at another location, you can shoot INTO the bubble without having to worry about what is around you or behind you. This basically allows you to make a choke point anywhere you want on the map. In survival and other types of missions where enemies can spawn from any location, being able to ignore whats behind you is critical to survival. Not only can you deal crap loads of damage with Rift Surge and a good AoE weapon, you'll also have huge amounts of survivability by being able to ignore everything that's around you.

42 minutes ago, AnonymousArmadillo said:

If you jump towards a cataclysm'd excavator with a power cell, you'll be able to get in reach before the rift makes it drop. Allowing you to power the excavator while it is in the cataclysm if your range is small enough.

Thanks I didn't know that!

Edited by Clonmac
Added quote and statistic correction

13 minutes ago, AnonymousArmadillo said:

Hmmm...interesting! Never thought of using Limbo in an Extraction mission due to this. Thank you, so much for this tip!

Time to run some tests later tonight... :)

He is reasonably good for solo-rushing certain missions.  He can also be good in a squad, but as others have said, most players don't know what they're doing or just troll.  I've only ever played with one person who used him effectively, but if you use him right, He is a great asset to a team.

To me, and keep in mind this is an opinion, there are three main ways to use Limbo.  One is to use Cataclysm to protect a defense objective, one is to use Rift Walk to safely revive players, and the last is to use Rift Walk+Banish+Rift Surge (if needed) to kill especially annoying enemies.  These can all be easily done with the same build.

59 minutes ago, HadrosaurHero said:

He's (in my opinion) the best frame to use on Corpus spy missions.

Just press 2 and walk through all the lasers. (just make sure to avoid cameras and enemies).

This is also true, I have used this to my advantage more than once.

56 minutes ago, (XB1)C0gnitive 0n3 said:

The first time I came across a good Limbo user was when I first played a Survival that went over 80 minutes. This, of course, was in a time when I camped more often than not. At one point, we got overwhelmed and 3 players got downed at the 50 minute mark. Just as I thought we were going to have to use revives, here comes Limbo - doing this thing - reviving everyone. At the 80 minute mark, I questioned how we were going to make it to extraction when, yet again, here comes Limbo - "there you go; you can now walk to extract" is what the gamer said.

At the time, I was a MR8 and was, completely, AMAZED by him.

I was determined to try him out so I did the quest, built him, forma'd him....and to this day - still suck at playing him.

...I'm convinced it's the hat.

Limbo is not for everybody because of his playstyle, which seems to make him unpopular to those who don't understand his versatile playstyle.

1 hour ago, chainchompguy3 said:

Really? I knew it dealt blast damage, but I don't think I've seen it knockdown anything...

Enemies that enter/leave the rift are dealt Impact damage.
Banishing a single enemy will knockdown most enemies.

1 hour ago, Second_Measure said:

Or you could, simply, skip right to 4 and shoot him in the face - Why the effort doing all this for a single enemy?

And that's basically the problem with Limbo.

>Has a limbo picture >Thinks using rift against enemies is useless >wut

1 hour ago, Clonmac said:

-Don't stand still when facing environmental damage. Things like Napalms and Hyekka Master can still hit you with their environmental fire damage. So stay moving, Banish them while strafing on the run and then move in for the melee ground finisher for the kill.

This bug is claimed to be fixed recently.
I have a list of Damaged By Environmental Hazards While In The Rift.

That would be awesome! I didn't read any of the patch notes recently, but was playing over the weekend and thought I may have noticed that. But, I was so used to avoiding it anyway that it was hard to tell if it was just because I was dodging it or not. I'll have to do some more testing. I feel like there might be some more discrepancies out there.

3 hours ago, CloneWarsrulz said:

I am thinking about building Limbo (since I beat the Limbo quest not too long ago...I'm a sucker for quests and lore), however, I have heard a lot of controversy.

Some say

"He suks, dun bother, werse fram evr."

Others

"He unique! I wuv em!"

I know some abuse his abilities and there are those special trolls, fortunately I have not run into one. I do not plan on using his abilities for that either.

Sooo what my question really is, why all the hate? Take the trolls out of it (honestly I've had more Nova and Loki trolls), is he really the "worst of the worst?" when looking at the frame itself?

...is it the hat?

Why or why not?

If I could roughly know your preferred playstyle, I could give some suggestions on using Limbo and whether or not you would enjoy playing him.

1 hour ago, HadrosaurHero said:

Also I'm not too sure at what level this isn't as effective but pressing 4 and then repressing it is an excellent clearing tool. Kill all the enemies in the room, and those that survive are knocked down.

14 minutes ago, Ditto132 said:

Enemies that enter/leave the rift are dealt Impact damage.
Banishing a single enemy will knockdown most enemies.

To clarify further:

Enemies within the area of the Cataclysm sphere's formation are dealt 200 / 300 / 400 / 500 Blast b Blast damage and an additional 300 Impact b Impact damage upon entering or leaving the Rift Plane.

So when using Cataclysm, no enemies are ever knocked down. Only banishing a single enemy will knock them down. Any enemy who is within the Cataclysm bubble when it is first cast will receiving Blast damage and any enemy traversing the perimeter of the bubble will receive Impact damage.