Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cells - This Is Warframes Endgame

notionphil

I should probably re-phrase

That's nice, but unless this "Nightmare Mode" is something almost exactly along the lines of what was proposed in the original post, it will fail to be a long term solution to the very real issue of player retention once the initial novelty factor has worn off. Although it's true that many players have been asking for selectable difficulty levels to provide additional challenge, it's really just a short term band-aid to a larger issue that would be solved by this "Cell" idea outlined in depth in the op.

Although not the same in distribution and content, Nightmare mode is coming soon and a new effort of ours to offer high Risk/Reward gameplay that has interesting restrictions within. Scott talks about this briefly in our U9 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z5eR8xiZvs

Thanks for the reply DEREbecca,

I'm excited for nightmare mode, but I don't see the risk/reward. AFAIK, You lose, you try again. You win, you get RNG reward (poor or good).

If that is how it is.... that negates the risk/reward aspect.

It's high challenge, which is VERY welcome, but a totally different thing than risk/reward IMO.

Thats nice, but unless this "Nightmare Mode" is something exactly along the lines of what was proposed in the original post, it will fail.

I really don't see any way that Nightmare Mode can "fail". It may simply be hardmode, hopefully with mission conditions. That in and of itself will be fun.

However, IMO not a replacement for story based mission arcs encouraging tactical play, with real risk/reward.

edit: corrected typo (left out word hardmode)

Edited by notionphil

I should probably re-phrase

That's nice, but unless this "Nightmare Mode" is something almost exactly along the lines of what was proposed in the original post, it will fail to be a long term solution to the very real issue of player retention once the initial novelty factor has worn off. Although it's true that many players have been asking for selectable difficulty levels to provide additional challenge, it's really just a short term band-aid to a larger issue that would be solved by this "Cell" idea outlined in depth in the op.

Couldn't have said it better. In fact, I said it worse :P

You see, nightmare mode is cool and all but its just a blunt instrument to tackle the problem of a challenge.  What makes this idea so amazing is the variety of content and opportunity to inject lore and relatibility into this game which we currently don't really have.  At the moment its just killing tons of stuff for super vague reasons from within emotionless suits of death.  There is no actual player engagement occurring as of yet and this is by and far the most elegant solution. 

Every time I read this thread I getting a raging super hadron collider. 

I agree that these are good ideas.

The players currently do not interact with the world or each other.

storylines challenges and lore is what breathes life into a game.

Starcraft is, like wf fun and easy to get into. But sc have tons of lore.

We need immersion.

notionphil, take all of my +1!

This is an awesome idea! If this was to be the future of Warframe, I would be more than happy sit tight and wait for it to arrive.

This game is in serious need of endgame content and from my point of view, everything you suggested fits the bill!

I rarely swear but,THIS IS @(*()$ BEAUTYFUL! It gives a purpose and might finally explain things in detail such as "The Great Plauge" and "The Sentients" but wouldn't this need to be quite a few Cells and need updates for this to not stop being interesting in a year or two for the veteran?

Really can't wait for something like this to come into Warframe. We need more story, immersion, collaboration and endgame content!!

Endlessly grinding against an RNG system is...well...somewhat fun for the first little bit each time you start, but each and every time you soon realize you're only doing the exact same thing as every other day. It's hard to convince oneself to keep playing when you're just doing the same thing over and over again.

Looking forward to your version of this DE!

Sounds like a really good idea. I was linked here from another post, and while I was reading, I couldn't tell if this was an official post by DE. It's that well thought out. If you don't work for a video game company, you should.

That being said, I'm sure DE knows that they need something like this. I would hope they have already been working on it at this point (Nightmare mode doesn't count, sorry DE). My point being, it may be hard to implement this when they have already started working on something of their own.

I didn't read through all 9 pages, but I did read the first page.  This sounds an awful lot like the map idea from PoE, though.  If that's the intent, then good on ya.  The only problem I could see is that it may seem like a forma would almost be required for the lower level things.

I didn't read through all 9 pages, but I did read the first page.  This sounds an awful lot like the map idea from PoE, though.  If that's the intent, then good on ya.  The only problem I could see is that it may seem like a forma would almost be required for the lower level things.

Actually I don't know what PoE is...

Ahh, path of exile.  They have a system that you find a map...something, but basically you have to build it.  You then can use it at a map thingy and it opens 6 portals, each can only be used once (this differs from your idea) by either you or friends.  Each map has it's own specific challenge, level range, and reward associated with it. I believe some have restrictions on gear, as well.

Either way, I like this idea quite a bit.  Perhaps for the low level missions you could bring your rank whatever stuff and it's just reduced in power by x% or when you're in the lobby mods are unsocketed and power is brought down to appropriate levels?

This is fantastic....  This is so well thought out and written, you could mistake it for a developer document.

Needless to say, upvoted.  I would upvote more than once if it would allow me. You even pulled an element from a game that I didn't expect, Diablo III.  That's not probably where you got this idea from, but it's similar to the infernal machine. Except instead of two measly powered up bosses, you've drafted an entire game mode.

Fantastic, please keep up the good work.

Ahh, path of exile.  They have a system that you find a map...something, but basically you have to build it.  You then can use it at a map thingy and it opens 6 portals, each can only be used once (this differs from your idea) by either you or friends.  Each map has it's own specific challenge, level range, and reward associated with it. I believe some have restrictions on gear, as well.

Either way, I like this idea quite a bit.  Perhaps for the low level missions you could bring your rank whatever stuff and it's just reduced in power by x% or when you're in the lobby mods are unsocketed and power is brought down to appropriate levels?

That sounds like a very interesting game mode, quite similar. to this.

Yes, in a perfect world gear would auto-downscale for this, at a slight penalty over simply using level appropos gear. Also remember most Cells would be for max level.

I really like this idea!!!!

I also really like the idea of frame-specific challenges you sort of mentioned, like you need a trinity to heal you through a certain area, or a volt to help the team speed through some parkour.

Would be awesome to have frame specific challenge for ALL frames, like 

Rhino - Iron skin required to get through knockdown room, like a bunch of those orokin knockdown towers that send out waves simultaneously, only rhino can get through it with iron skin.

Trinity - Link through fire room

Mag - Pull obstacles in order to jump across a chasm

Frost - Snowglobes to get through laser room

I don't know, that kind of thing I feel would be interesting, give the frames some more personality perhaps.