Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

Sentinel survivability

Going to just start this off by saying I don't own every Sentinel and am just going off by what I know.

To put things simply, Sentinels have very little survivability on higher levels.  They get destroyed easily due to low health, shields, and armor, and can only come back once per mission without the player using revives.  Additionally, enemies seem to have the ability to instantly destroy a Sentinel twice.  The Regen mod only helps to bring the Sentinel back to full health, but that doesn't help that much.  It'd be nice if the mod could bring back the Sentinel multiple times (perhaps up to 6 times, as it's a 5 rank mod?), and I think it'd be fair to give the Sentinel a few seconds of invulnerability so it doesn't instantly get destroyed again.  Or maybe introduce some sort of gear item that can revive the Sentinel, but has a cooldown like the Air Support Charges?  Just, something that'd help Sentinels stay alive longer and retain their use.

• Like 2

True, sentinels have just 2 lives per mission unless you die an revive, also they are focused by enemies while you are downed, so they most likely get blown up during that time too. (also explosives and eximi fire blasts can destroy them, so will any AoE)

The only effective way to get them to survive really really long seems to have all the survivability mods maxed or close to maxed (vitality, redirection, steel fiber, regen), since the only way to heal them is to have a frame with healing abilities ( Trinity, Equinox) or usingrestore pads. Meanwhile, Kubrows can be revived and every melee strike you do can potentially restore them to 100% health.

Sentinels are so far behind in survivability choices than Kubrow unless you put a lot of effort into them, or under specific conditions.

8 hours ago, ElGuirrix said:

True, sentinels have just 2 lives per mission unless you die an revive, also they are focused by enemies while you are downed, so they most likely get blown up during that time too. (also explosives and eximi fire blasts can destroy them, so will any AoE)

The only effective way to get them to survive really really long seems to have all the survivability mods maxed or close to maxed (vitality, redirection, steel fiber, regen), since the only way to heal them is to have a frame with healing abilities ( Trinity, Equinox) or usingrestore pads. Meanwhile, Kubrows can be revived and every melee strike you do can potentially restore them to 100% health.

Sentinels are so far behind in survivability choices than Kubrow unless you put a lot of effort into them, or under specific conditions.

I guess the reason why they do that is so you have a clear reason in your decision between kubrows or sentinels. Most sentinels are utility based and kubrows are offensive based. As such it makes sense that kubrows can survive better than sentinels. Not to mention when you do 'lose' a kubrow in a mission (them dying and not getting revived in time) you are penalised (dont remember how exactly). I believe the reason is simply for balance. I mean if the sentinels are of equal level or slightly below kubrow in terms of survivability with minimum effort, then there really is not much reason to use kubrow, not like they are being used that much over the carrier sentinel anyway.

FWIW i agree with the OP

even though let it be said, that the survivability of a maxed rank and fully forma'd sentinel is at a fair balance point IMHO

but again, like most everything else in this game, the systems start to break down at these 'higher lvls' [sorties/etc/whatevs]

atm ingame enemies dont often target the sentinel, but the amount of AoE dmg available from certain unique npcs and/or factions has gotten pretty heavy recently

considering the alternative companion options, kubrows have the potential to be quite a bit tougher than sentinels, but again, this is most likely an intentional balance point, even though they too suffer due to the enemy scaling eventually, also being even more susceptible to AoE effects due to them running all over the place in such a random fashion [ie kubrow AI needs a serious overhaul, they have no counterplay to things like corpus mines/sappers]

for years we have asked for things like the Regen mod to give a sentinel a few more lives, but i also do not think that an expendable blueprint gear item for reviving a sentinel should be out of the question, FFS we have the ridiculous energy/health/ammo 'pizzas', so why not something to revive a sentinel? [and/or another gear item to regen a kubrow as well]

+1 OP

I kind of wish sentinels (not kubrows) were invincible yet couldn't attack and instead all had unique utility given to your frame, Like vacuum, enemy sense, loot detector, weakspot detector etc. I don't really see why sentinels should be able to be killed at all especially since there's no actual way to defend them. I don't even equip a gun on my sentinel in hopes that the threat would go to me instead of the sentinel (with some success). I just don't see the point in having to worry about it being alive or not. It's hilarious to me that people tell me not to revive them because they're trying to revive their sentinel.

They just need to tweak sentinals health / shields a little bit more. Kubrows have some amazing mods to help them survive, decent hp/shield pools and their mods scale with what you're using.

Sentinals unfortunately aren't scaled and are a flat amount. This is their downside. My, and many others, favorite is carrier. He has almost 0 shields but lots of life. Because of this i maxed out vitality and steel fiber because his armor was somewhat decent. He still gets destroyed very easily unfortunately. I maybe added 1 more rocket from a napalm to his survival now. I think health, shields and armor need to be bumped on all of them or change their mods like kubrows to scale off of your frames. This will help bring them much deeper into endgame longer.

sentinels just insta-die on sorties /high lvl content if anything just looks at them sideways

they can last for a bit at first but as soon as anything AOE appears they evaporate 

their stats and lack of scaling go back years while the game and enemies have evolved alot since then

• 4 years later...

Well, noone uses Sentinels now that we have https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Sly_Devolution.

Unless regen mods are reworked.

Suggestion:

Maybe rework https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Regen to have 80/75/70/65/60/55 sec deactivation with no abilities when killed before reviving to 50/55/60/65/70/75% health.

The primed variant (https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Primed_Regen) will have 80/75/70/65/60/55/50/45/40/35/30 sec deactivation with no abilities when killed before reviving to 50/55/60/65/70/75/80/85/90/95/100% health.

Also rework https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Djinn's rewaken to a delay of 55/50/45/40/35/30 sec, and let it give the warframe 3 "wishes" out of a small pool of buffs and debuffs like:

4 energy regen per sec for 20 secs,

2 energy drain per sec for 10 secs,

regen warframe health by 6% per sec for 8 secs,

damage health by 3% per sec for 4 secs.

knockdown enemies within 30 meters,

knockdown self.

This will be reference to how Djinn wishes may backfire sometimes.

Edited by Mk1-Caliburn
  • Like 1

Let me know when Sentinels are useful when it dies so fast in missions. As of now, I almost never see people taking Sentinels into missions.

Please try to give more suggestions on how you would like to improve them to be useful and not die so fast.

DE will need a lot of suggestions of all types, so they can choose which is easy to implement.

1 hour ago, Mk1-Caliburn said:

Let me know when Sentinels are useful when it dies so fast in missions.

What missions are you talking about?

Like, are you face tanking Steel Path Bombards or something, leaving your poor lil' robot buddy defenseless? :P

Try some mass CC (and / or nuking from a distance), that keeps your Sentinel pretty healthy for the most part.

As of now, I almost never see people taking Sentinels into missions.

Got any hard stats? I for one see lots of Sentinels (and am using mainly Cubey P myself). *shrug*

Please try to give more suggestions on how you would like to improve them to be useful and not die so fast.

My stance has long been to make ALL Companions immortal.
Have them enter a cooldown state upon "lethal" damage, where offensive capabilities are turned off but support functions keep running.
Mods like Regen etc can affect that cooldown then, and of course Vulpaphylas stay unique in that they have special "while dead" Precepts.

Also, not least for stuff like Eidolon fights, make Companions invincible (like Frames) and stop attacking while using your Operator.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...