Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt's Shield: Adding depth to something stationary

Temptress

For a frame being as fast as lightning, his shield is quite stationary! Even with the upcoming rework, I find it quite boring that his shield only received a visual update, offering that his future play style is only standing still like a radio tower. So what if we could have that shield move with volt? 

Imagine this. Volt casts his shield down. enemies are shooting between this crack between the shield and a pillar to hit whatever point volt's defending. Currently, he'd have to put another shield down and overlap it. costing 100 energy total. What if he could pick up that shield and adjust it? When he picks up the shield, it would shrink down to a lancer size shield, covering only Volt's body. During pick up, it would pause the duration timer on the shield, and slowly eat energy instead. When placed back down, it would expand into large shield again and it would go back into duration timer. Adjusting the location of where the shield is without casting another one would be a minor QOL change. However, holding it would add new depth for one reason alone. 

Riot Volt. Giving Volt the power to place a shield, pick it up, and carry it around at the cost of a constant energy drain would give players the option to become a walking wall. This isn't a new idea to the world of Warframe, as we already have shielded enemies in this game. As for Volt players? this is another layer of playing. This is good for Volt because it keeps the idea of staying mobile, gives them the bonus shield damage, and gives new and old players alike two different build to work with.

So, how do we balance the mobile volt shield? Make it only the size of Volt's model, so enemies shooting at him from an angle / sides / behind still can hit him, versus being an OP super shield. Remove the primary and switch to secondary only mode, since one hand is already being used to hold the mobile shield, and cancel the shield when jumping. (Possible augment: Bullet jumping with mobile shield gives you a lightning bullet jump). He can't bash enemies with the shield, since it's not a solid entity, but he can use that bonuses you get from the shield. 

Alright, let's answer questions that you might be thinking.

What happens if the volt places two or more shields and picks up one? 

Other shields aren't being picked up, therefore they stay stationary. 

Can Volt B pick up Volt A's shield? 

No, it's only Volt A can pick up Volt A's shield

What's wrong with having a stationary skill? this seems to be viewed from a solo player.

Nothing wrong with the mechanics of shield itself. I just don't understand why a mobile frame has a stationary shield. Having it move at the will of the user gives the teams something to stand their ground behind & a mobile wall to work with at any time. 

That's what I would do to change Volt's shield in game. Thanks for your time!

TL;DR: Current / future shield is stationary. Let him pick it up and move it around like a shield lancer. 

25/04/2016 EDIT: The idea is now in play. Here's to the Tenno that are giving future Volt players a better tomorrow.

Edited by Server
New information

Yeah, this idea is on the forums since a long time, and I always supported it. It's nice to have a stationary shield (it does his dirty job well) but having the ability to move with it ( similar to Odonata's shield) would be really nice. I suspect that they will add this as an augment, though

44 minutes ago, Drufo said:

Yeah, this idea is on the forums since a long time, and I always supported it. It's nice to have a stationary shield (it does his dirty job well) but having the ability to move with it ( similar to Odonata's shield) would be really nice. I suspect that they will add this as an augment, though

If they make it his augment, i'd be fine with it, personally. However, I feel as if the design of it being mobile from the get go with resonate better with newer players who choose volt. 

Its a good idea, but i would add

1. if you have the shield picked put and use shock you will throw the shield at the enemy and it will do the same thing but with more power to the first enemy it hits 
  2. The lighting bullet jump would be a bullet jump with speed,   but they have this if you have the argument speed mod. 

The pic is an arrow pointing left if you can't see it 

On 4/7/2016 at 7:41 AM, iDEBz said:

Why not make it a hold to cast a stationary and tap to cast a mobile shield. That way you can still support your team while giving yourself some personal protection.

I was thinking volt arcs a mobile shield,  recast to drop and arc a new one

On 4/6/2016 at 5:39 PM, (XB1)StormStriker777 said:

Its a good idea, but i would add

1. if you have the shield picked put and use shock you will throw the shield at the enemy and it will do the same thing but with more power to the first enemy it hits 
  2. The lighting bullet jump would be a bullet jump with speed,   but they have this if you have the argument speed mod. 

The pic is an arrow pointing left if you can't see it 

Throw a shield!?! That sounds awesome! 

Great idea, though one thing that bugs me is the amount of energy that is wasted on carrying such a thing, and for those that run primed flow or high efficiency, what would be the point of moving one from far locations when recasting a new one works just as well?

Mind you this is good if you placed a shield in a bad spot or something, its just there needs to be something, more to this, to make it a beneficial change to his shield.

As for riot mode, which I quite like, there is the issue of someone putting in a high efficiency build and then riot shielding into a corner, preventing everything from hurting them. Having a high drain would make it somewhat pointless to carry a shield from point a to point b. Also would carrying a riot mode shield limit a player to their secondary as they carry the riot shield?

It is a great concept in of itself. It is just the implementation and abuse that could occur. Most likely while carrying shield like a riot shield, have any hits on the shield drain the remaining duration, something similar to quick thinking when it converts energy into health, have the riot mode convert duration into effective mobile health with a minor side of drain to carry.

Also just thoughts on like, would volt shoot through riot mode shield, or above it. And I'd love to be able to shield bash enemies in such a mode, though that might make volt more of a mini mobile tank...

Hm, so many thoughts.

I wrote this about Volt Shield 2 or 3 times on Warframe forum, my idea sounded that:

VOlt Press 3, his shield is 3-4x smaller and shield move with him, so he can get damage on legs, you can crouch but you move slower then ofcourse.

Press again 3 to make shield 3-4x bigger and he puts it on the ground.

Edited by IfritKajiTora

As a volt main, this idea sounds wonderful. It adds to not only his mobility, but his versatility and ability synergy with range and melee. But why limit it to secondary whilst carrying the shield? It is immaterial, after all, and could just as easily be attached to a holder on the arm or something. Personally I would love to be able to shoot my dread through a mobile shield. More moving, less camping. 

Speaking of volt and mobility, does anyone else think his movement speed is a bit low? I mean, given all the other frames with movement above 1.00, he actually seems on the slower side, unless you're using speed 24/7.

Don't know how I feel about it. All additions to Volt are welcome, but I don't think that it realy needs it, when I'm moving it's hard that i get hit (cuz precision drop when you are fast), and when I'm staying, i just use it the classic way. A realy nice addition is that rockets and granades bounce off from volt shield, so bombard are a bit more manageable.

I think that the community will respond nicely just because they want some changes, not because they want it.

3 hours ago, voltocitygel said:

As a volt main, this idea sounds wonderful. It adds to not only his mobility, but his versatility and ability synergy with range and melee. But why limit it to secondary whilst carrying the shield? It is immaterial, after all, and could just as easily be attached to a holder on the arm or something. Personally I would love to be able to shoot my dread through a mobile shield. More moving, less camping. 

Yeah but when I maded 2 or even 3 Volt threads about his changes, and I mentioned that shield should move with him and be abble to place on the ground like it is now, nobody cares about it -_-. Ughhh warframe forum community.

Edited by IfritKajiTora

I'm very much for making it an Augment at this point, because it would be the kind of change that Augments SHOULD bring. And other than that, Volt's already got some really good utilities to his skills, especially with the new CC, so becoming a living shield would be a bit much. He could just plant a shield behind him, aim at his enemies, and never have trouble again.

Volt is already fine as it is, so my suggestion is: "Is it fun?Ye? Then add it.", but having a shield and going around is pretty lame, just shotting behind your shield.... BUT what if it has some quick melee attack with the shield?

Running around against enemies will proc impact damage (a bodycheck) and doing some weird sound XD (like a gong), pressing E before going against something will knock down your foes and deflect rockets (some defense against bombards), doing quick melee in air will do a little aoe which will stun. Something similar to a greener shield lancer.

Com'on, as addition will be quite fun.

P.S add some "weird" sounds effect when Volt hit with the shield, like a street fighter's game would do.

Edited by DoctorWild