Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

Something (TennoGen-related) you're working on that might not ever see the light of day, but you wish you could receive feedback on? Don't want to make your own thread for something you might not finish? Working on something that hasn't been added to the Workshop yet? Looking for a partner to help you finish your rough creations? Just looking to brainstorm out some quick ideas and get some feedback?

Post dat stuff yo.

RULES:

-Images required.

-TennoGen-related only.

-Any skill level, any visual medium.

-Serious work only. 

-Helpful critiques strongly encouraged!

Edited by Syncrasis

I'll get it started. Here's my Loki sketch page from yesterday:

tumblr_o59zdhmilZ1r28itgo1_1280.jpg

And helmet sketches based on these in Zbrush:

tumblr_o592udQ5CS1qdt0m6o1_r2_1280.jpg

Main goals were to find a new shape for the horns that weren't already explored in previous helmets. Wanted to have an angry wasp look, and a "devil horns and angel halo" theme going on. The halo part needs a lot of work yet, and I'm still not sure about the horns. I'm leaning on the second of the two Zbrush sketches for the base shapes. 

Edited by Syncrasis
54 minutes ago, Syncrasis said:

tumblr_o592udQ5CS1qdt0m6o1_r2_1280.jpg

Main goals were to find a new shape for the horns that weren't already explored in previous helmets. Wanted to have an angry wasp look, and a "devil horns and angel halo" theme going on. The halo part needs a lot of work yet, and I'm still not sure about the horns. I'm leaning on the second of the two Zbrush sketches for the base shapes. 

I'd made the helm taller, such that it looks like it could actually contain a head

I like the concepts!

Here is a kitbash of my favourite elements of each:

g9c.png

6 minutes ago, Insizer said:

I'd made the helm taller, such that it looks like it could actually contain a head

The helmets are the head. There is no head inside, so dimensions aren't a worry.

Just now, egregiousRac said:

The helmets are the head. There is no head inside, so dimensions aren't a worry.

Yes, I understand that there is no head inside. But it should look like there is a head inside. That's my point. I say this because the 3D model looks like a neck stump with very good looking horns and such.

12 minutes ago, egregiousRac said:

I like the concepts!

Here is a kitbash of my favourite elements of each:

[snip]

Ahh, a cleaner look with the curved horns and taller back thingy thing? Yeah I'm favoring that cleaner shape too!

2 minutes ago, Insizer said:

Yes, I understand that there is no head inside. But it should look like there is a head inside. That's my point. I say this because the 3D model looks like a neck stump with very good looking horns and such.

Yeah definitely there doesn't need to be space to contain an actual head inside - I think Frost's Squall helmet with the fan thing is proof of that - but it seems to be a good piece of design advice to make sure the helmet silhouette "feels" like a helmet, particularly if the others for that Warframe fit that shape (in their own ways... I'm looking at you, Atlas, you weird neck-head). Looking back on the existing Loki helmets you're right, it does need to be a bit taller. Will work that in with my next iterations, thanks!

That said, would love to break that rule with at least one helmet and have it -work- ahaha, somedaaaay

1 hour ago, Syncrasis said:

Yeah definitely there doesn't need to be space to contain an actual head inside - I think Frost's Squall helmet with the fan thing is proof of that - but it seems to be a good piece of design advice to make sure the helmet silhouette "feels" like a helmet, particularly if the others for that Warframe fit that shape (in their own ways... I'm looking at you, Atlas, you weird neck-head). Looking back on the existing Loki helmets you're right, it does need to be a bit taller. Will work that in with my next iterations, thanks!

That said, would love to break that rule with at least one helmet and have it -work- ahaha, somedaaaay

No problem. Btw There are only 2 reason that I'm ok with Atlas:

1. The devs actively try to not make his helms looks like heads as part of his theme.
  2. The first thing I think of with Atlas' "helmet" is a brain in jar under a very strong pot and I think that's funny.

A little advise to mind the overall width of your helmets design. During ADS if your helmet is too wide it can potentially block a good portion of your screen's center. Some of Loki's helmet and Oberon's feyarch helmet has this problem.

oh, cool!

I'll join with my rough messy things I'm very uncertain about

some nyx helmet sketches
XIXvO8z.png

some mesa helmet sketches (not sure what I was going for tbh)

67FMmub.png

epkjyjO.png

edit: also this thingy I found
8TgXPRQ.jpg

scribbled while looking at shapes in sentient designs, War sword, etc.

I don't know

Edited by Artarrwen

Lol and i thought my personal sketches were messy ^^ Glad to see i'm part of a big club! Do you guys find it easier to work directly with lines when you're making a concept?

Edited by HitsuSan
18 minutes ago, HitsuSan said:

Lol and i thought my personal sketches were messy ^^ Glad to see i'm part of a big club! Do you guys find it easier to work directly with lines when you're making a concept?

For me it definitely isn't, I find it's a lot easier to make changes without lines in the way. I still use lines but I rarely concept using only lineart.

9 hours ago, HitsuSan said:

I'm faster with lines. My 2D work relies heavily on lines as well... I feel like I can get sharper, more accurate forms if I use lines instead of values. I do envy you guys who can work illustratively without the lines, it looks way cooler lol. 

@Artarrwen Loving those Nyx concepts, they're really sinister, like a wasp. Very fitting for her. However, they look a little masculine and possibly too detailed to me though, at least for her default body. I wonder if you are considering making a skin too? Seems like she could use some!

Mesa helmets have a refreshing different interpretation on the character. I know you said you didn't have a specific direction with them but they make me think of that Devil Went Down To Georgia song, sort of devil + southern/cowboy themes. Maybe there's something to be discovered there.

Really excited to see your scribbles in this thread! Thanks for posting!!

I wanted to participate but i don't have any warframe related concepts cause i don't use them for what i'm doing ^^ So i've spent a little time and made one just for fun at the end of a way too long day to relax.

emb.png

56 minutes ago, HitsuSan said:

I wanted to participate but i don't have any warframe related concepts cause i don't use them for what i'm doing ^^ So i've spent a little time and made one just for fun at the end of a way too long day to relax.

[snip]

Ohh nice! looks Ember-y, and I love that rail-looking shape wrapping around the base of the head. Rad! 

What brush is that?

Well, Tennogen roster will officially get expanded any moment now, so.

For Valkyr, looking for that "angelic warrior" look that I think isn't represented enough in her current designs.

iZ6uypo.png

Loki is a lot less developed or thought out, just random.. horn... shapes.

4D0fxVr.png

On 09.04.2016 at 3:41 AM, Syncrasis said:

@Artarrwen Loving those Nyx concepts, they're really sinister, like a wasp. Very fitting for her. However, they look a little masculine and possibly too detailed to me though, at least for her default body. I wonder if you are considering making a skin too? Seems like she could use some!

Mesa helmets have a refreshing different interpretation on the character. I know you said you didn't have a specific direction with them but they make me think of that Devil Went Down To Georgia song, sort of devil + southern/cowboy themes. Maybe there's something to be discovered there.

Really excited to see your scribbles in this thread! Thanks for posting!!

I'd love to do a skin for Nyx just to remove her from Excalibur's design, hopefully still keeping her neutral enough to support other cosmetic items. I'll definitely think about it, though full body skins is something I've never even attempted to do before. Kinda intimidated lol.

Edited by Artarrwen

Well I'm trying my hand at this whole skin thing. Not much yet, just concepting the torso for now

mBbMvmH.png-GjaoPcQ.png

If all goes well I'll start a proper WIP thread for it and probably do a helmet to go with it.
The goal is, like I said, just to give her an alternate look that looks less like Excalibur than her current design does (as much as possible given the obvious restrictions). Another goal I'd like to accomplish is to end up with something that doesn't horribly clash with any of her other cosmetics (helmets) too much. Hopefully it's possible to make the Prime revert to vanilla body geometry for some of the skins, as well.

Edited by Artarrwen
5 hours ago, Artarrwen said:

Well I'm trying my hand at this whole skin thing. Not much yet, just concepting the torso for now

mBbMvmH.png-GjaoPcQ.png

If all goes well I'll start a proper WIP thread for it and probably do a helmet to go with it.
The goal is, like I said, just to give her an alternate look that looks less like Excalibur than her current design does (as much as possible given the obvious restrictions). Another goal I'd like to accomplish is to end up with something that doesn't horribly clash with any of her other cosmetics (helmets) too much. Hopefully it's possible to make the Prime revert to vanilla body geometry for some of the skins, as well.

Looks cool. Did you make the default model yourself, or get it off tennogen somewhere?

I have a nyx skin concept I've been working on as well, I'll post it here and on my thread.

EDIT: Just looked in tennogen myself and found the default model. Sorry to bother you

Edited by Zoracraft
Checked

So, here is my abomination

hNXDzLC.jpg

The idea is to make something close to the alabaster skin, but more refined and extremely smooth (like actual jade). the entire skin will barely glow, while the spine and chest will grow brighter to give the illusion that the skin is coated in jade(s). Any feedback would be appreciated, as I am very interested in turning this concept into a reality.

Likely going to try to check if it would be compatible with Nyx Prime later. I wish DE would give us the models for them as well to make them compatible.

Here is my thread, if you are into that sort of thing...

EDIT: and my scanner coated the thing in white out. sorry D:

Edited by Zoracraft
CURSE YOU SCANNER!!!
6 hours ago, Artarrwen said:

[snip snip]

Yeah, Nyx could reeeeally use more skins to separate her from Excal. I like those drop/diamond shapes, possible to make some of those into sylized eyes or something? Mmmmcreepy :D Love how her backside is coming out.

Edited by Syncrasis
7 hours ago, Zoracraft said:

So, here is my abomination

[snip]

The idea is to make something close to the alabaster skin, but more refined and extremely smooth (like actual jade). the entire skin will barely glow, while the spine and chest will grow brighter to give the illusion that the skin is coated in jade(s). Any feedback would be appreciated, as I am very interested in turning this concept into a reality.

Likely going to try to check if it would be compatible with Nyx Prime later. I wish DE would give us the models for them as well to make them compatible.

Here is my thread, if you are into that sort of thing...

EDIT: and my scanner coated the thing in white out. sorry D:

Hey, nice to see you here!

From what I understand about emissive masks, you probably don't want to do anything that covers the body because it will wash out the detail beneath it (basically it negates all shading and sits on top of everything else) so even at a low opacity, it will really flatten the character out. You miiight be able to get away with something animated but even that would require some testing, and you wouldn't be able to make some parts more or less glowy because the animated texture would be scrolling across the entire model. If you look at the typical emissive mask, they are all very minimal probably for some of these reasons.

I notice that your design seems to not follow the original Warframe normal map details, does that mean you'll be making your own normal maps? If not, I recommend fitting some of your edges to that detail, it will help it feel more like it was made for that frame. You might get a lot out of printing out a black and white image of Nyx without any tintmasks on her, and coloring on that. Certainly you don't have to do it for the whole pattern but it really helps to do it in key places!

I think the X pattern is really interesting and suiting to Nyx's character. Something about that psychic mystery that makes her seem a little devious. I wonder where else you could go with that idea if you tried a few different variants.

Hope this helps! :D

Loving everyone's work...! This thread is a great idea; hope it can pull some quiet folks outta the woodwork.

I've been quiet but here's one of my frost helms quickly painted out...!

ZhjSleOc.jpg

Don't mind my scribbles to the left, just notes written while it was flipped haha

6 hours ago, Syncrasis said:

Hey, nice to see you here!

From what I understand about emissive masks, you probably don't want to do anything that covers the body because it will wash out the detail beneath it (basically it negates all shading and sits on top of everything else) so even at a low opacity, it will really flatten the character out. You miiight be able to get away with something animated but even that would require some testing, and you wouldn't be able to make some parts more or less glowy because the animated texture would be scrolling across the entire model. If you look at the typical emissive mask, they are all very minimal probably for some of these reasons.

I notice that your design seems to not follow the original Warframe normal map details, does that mean you'll be making your own normal maps? If not, I recommend fitting some of your edges to that detail, it will help it feel more like it was made for that frame. You might get a lot out of printing out a black and white image of Nyx without any tintmasks on her, and coloring on that. Certainly you don't have to do it for the whole pattern but it really helps to do it in key places!

I think the X pattern is really interesting and suiting to Nyx's character. Something about that psychic mystery that makes her seem a little devious. I wonder where else you could go with that idea if you tried a few different variants.

Hope this helps! :D

Ok, thanks for the tip on emissive. I can probably get the effect in another mask.

Im probably going to be doing as little changes to the normal map as possible. However, since one of the main critiques of my zephyr skin was that it conflicted with zephyr's normal map, I'll change some things on nyx's to make it look better (cut out seams, accentuate the jade sections). The little knee and elbow details are meant to align with their positions on nyx's standard model, I'm just not the best at drawing.

As for the designs/motifs, I looked up examples of jade jewelry, which looked like it would go really well on nyx (and apparently it does :D). If I have time, I want to make a custom helmet (something like menticide) with "earring" dangles.