The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bladestorm rework

(PSN)official_79

Here is my idea to rework bladestorm, this idea is intended to be an actual rework (like excalibur) instead of a series of tweaks (like saryn)

First off when Bladestorm is activated you are equipped with exalted shuriken (placeholder name) and surrounded by 4 shadow clones very similarly to mirage.

The exalted shuriken use secondary mods but their primary purpose is to mark targets. Each shuriken thrown will cost a small bit of energy

When a target is marked a shadow clone is immediately dispatched to assasinate them (triggering the regular bladestorm animations) and will continue attacking until the target is dead. You can only have 4 targets being attacked at once,one per clone, and your shurikens will not mark a new target until a clone is available.

I believe this would make the ability much more hands on than it is now. However, im not entirely sure how good such a change like this would be. So what do you guys think?

I think if the shurikens are markers, then they shouldn't do scaling damage, it's besides their purpose. Just because it's a special weapon, doesn't make it a must to scale if it's focus is marking. The main issue with this is that it rrestricts ash to line of sight, effectively nullifying a lot of his use. Another huge issue unaddressed here is the kill stealing. Ash players that spam bladestorm are hated because it makes it so no one else can hurt the targets. You've offered no solution for this huge issue which is one of the main culprits behind the need for a rework in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Major_Phantom said:

I think if the shurikens are markers, then they shouldn't do scaling damage, it's besides their purpose. Just because it's a special weapon, doesn't make it a must to scale if it's focus is marking. The main issue with this is that it rrestricts ash to line of sight, effectively nullifying a lot of his use. Another huge issue unaddressed here is the kill stealing. Ash players that spam bladestorm are hated because it makes it so no one else can hurt the targets. You've offered no solution for this huge issue which is one of the main culprits behind the need for a rework in the first place. 

The only known reason for Ash's Blade Storm getting a rework is because it lacks player interaction. It's basically a press4win power and DE wants to change it.

Also, players and enemies being invulnerable during finishers is not exclusive to Ash.

2 minutes ago, Major_Phantom said:

Ash players that spam bladestorm are hated because it makes it so no one else can hurt the targets. You've offered no solution for this huge issue which is one of the main culprits behind the need for a rework in the first place. 

Yep that's why i hate Ash most of the time.

I want to shoot stuff too, when i press "P" to see how many kills i did and also when the target is killed by Ash your damage is not counted

2 minutes ago, Zari2015 said:

Yep that's why i hate Ash most of the time.

I want to shoot stuff too, when i press "P" to see how many kills i did and also when the target is killed by Ash your damage is not counted

All of the marked targets are not invincible though. Only the ones that Ash and his clones are on will be invincible. The rest can be killed freely until ash moves to them. 

9 minutes ago, paragasu said:

.I imagine 4 ash clone cirling and slashing  enemies in inside a dome of smoke while the real ash are free to move as he please

or maybe take the name "blade storm" literally and  make something like this

or this

Mine is better.

15 minutes ago, paragasu said:

.I imagine 4 ash clone cirling and slashing  enemies in inside a dome of smoke while the real ash are free to move as he please

or maybe take the name "blade storm" literally and  make something like this

or this

Or something like this:

I would main Ash if DE would make his ulti like Noctis!!!! 

5 minutes ago, Prinny13 said:

Or something like this:

I would main Ash if DE would make his ulti like Noctis!!!! 

He already has his signature weapons, his twin wrist blades. Neither this not the one before stew are likely to happen. (They looked awesome though) He will most likely be given a stance ability like many people have suggested.

25 minutes ago, Major_Phantom said:

If they didnt do scaling damage you'd be a sitting duck doing no dmg if all clones are occupied. Restricting the assinations to 4 targets would nullify the kill stealing issue wouldnt it?

Just now, (PS4)official_79 said:

If they didnt do scaling damage you'd be a sitting duck doing no dmg if all clones are occupied. Restricting the assinations to 4 targets would nullify the kill stealing issue wouldnt it?

I think it's fine if it doesn't do much damage if you don't have clones. It'll make you pick your shots smarter. To compensate, the clones do more damage than any scaling weapon so it's fine.

Ash re work In A nut shell!

remove the clones that jump around and attack with ash.

less enemy's stolen, less kills, less time an enemy is marked and invulnerable.

(edit) oh yea and make the ultimate chain instead of marking a huge area.

if it was too be a chained ability you would have better results attacking large groups therefore still feeling like ash is a killer God to all his followers

Edited by (XB1)Listed mia 510

I like the basis for Bladestorm being a combination of Exalted weapon and Teleport, I just think the implementation being automatic isn't great and makes for boring gameplay. I'd prefer if players could direct where Ash goes instead, similar to how the first Prince of Persia remake did for the power of Restraint.

32 minutes ago, (XB1)Listed mia 510 said:

Ash re work In A nut shell!

remove the clones that jump around and attack with ash.

less enemy's stolen, less kills, less time an enemy is marked and invulnerable.

(edit) oh yea and make the ultimate chain instead of marking a huge area.

if it was too be a chained ability you would have better results attacking large groups therefore still feeling like ash is a killer God to all his followers

the bladestorm before this he had no clones. He still got as many kills though. And how are they stolen enemies when this is a team sport?

Edited by Lord_Datastorm

i think a simple system where Ash can mark a certain number of targets ( say 5 as an example) manually using the players aim, then killing ach one in a sequence with no clones is a fair compromise. less kill stealing, and it could scale with melee mods for more damage. plus manual aim means players can't just spam the button, they have to play the game and look for targets.

Nerf threads irk me to no end.

It seems, in my opinion from what I'm reading, that the only real pushback for ash is that marked targets are invulnerable. So in my mind, the easiest fix is simply not to make marked targets invulnerable. No need for another exalted ultimate, and bladestorm isn't firing a gun, it is rapidly assassinating multiple targets as crowd control, and a tribute to a mythic ninjitsu-esque ability. Why aim that, when you already have to aim it to activate it?

Ash is an aggressive stealth frame, and one of few "nuke" frames left in Warframe (making endless runs more fun/doable, IMO). Rather than nerfing him, make is other abilities more-team work friendly. Removing the invulnerability of marked targets is one way. Maybe do away with the smoke shadow augment, and make smoke screen "cover" allies as well. Free crits for everyone.

-From a Smoke Shadow Ash main.

13 hours ago, Lord_Datastorm said:

the bladestorm before this he had no clones. He still got as many kills though. And how are they stolen enemies when this is a team sport?

Their stollen enemies because that's one of the things people say when ash is brought up or walks in the room.

"oh great ash too steal all the kills"

just cause that's what I wrote in an attempt to cover some of his complaints doesn't mean that's how I feel btw!

ps it's really not my fault that most people don't see this game as a team game. But maybe that's why they can't get past wave 40 t4 defense!

Bladestorm as it is now is a really cool ability both thematically and gameplay wise for ash. 

The issue is the lack of interaction when using it. You press 4, go untargetable and deal tons of damage for free. 

I'd propose the following:

Reduce the initial cost to 50 energy

Change the ability to a single target variant.

Reduce the energy of subsequent casts on different targets within x seconds by 50%

Switch base damage to slash, but have it deal finisher damage to enemies who are bleeding

Add a level of damage reduction after each cast for the x seconds you have to recast it. 

Firstly, the damage, ability to go untargetable, and fantasy are still there. If you are a good Ash player you'd be able to weave in abilities, or other damage between bladestorm casts for a massively extended duration for the same energy cost. The slash/bleed change encourages you to either weave in shuriken casts or to switch back to targets for the extra damage.

More control, and more interactive gameplay. Easy