The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Custom Avatars. Srsly. I don't even play Excalibur. (Please? ^_^v)

Ced23Ric

Personally the forum avatar should be your ingame avatar and that's it.

That wouldn't address why people are asking for avatars. I know that Steve has the Golem as his avatar - I see a Golem, it's Steve. But I'm not chasing Steve, I also like to read what other users type. So if SabreUr would have an apple, I could see the apple at a glance and would know it's SabreUr. Avatars a quick identifiers. That is also why they are more usefull than signatures. Avatars are already in, they are to the side instead of underneath, they serve a purpose and they help communication. And they avoid mistaking people for one another.

I have seen the horrors of the "Party Hard!" crew invading the forum for epillepsy afflicted. Animated avatars open the doors for pretty gnarly things.

This is precisely why I am defintely against custom uploaded avatars entirely. While I'm pretty sure this particular forum software (IP Board, I think?) has pushed passed the usual size problems associated with forum avatars, I am finding it all a lot easier to read through the forums without a bunch of randomness sprouting from the left and bottom of posts.

Certainly wouldn't mind some variations of other bits of the Warframe universe however! Although I figured those avatars in game would also become forum avatars, since our names are intrinsically linked and there isn't a whole lot of purpose to in-game avatar images (currently).

You are being too extreme, then. Having a singular, non-moving image that does not expand the space needed for a post from the current state is certainly not "a bunch of randomness sprouting from the left and bottom of posts". I am asking for those avatars to have quick identifiers of who I am taling to/who is talking to me. When I see Rebecca post, I see the Lotus and know it's here. Steve is the J3 Golem. Etc. It would be great if we could have this, too, to faster recognize who we are conversing with.

Noted.

Despite some of the silliness and absurdity in this thread, I think that some different forum avatars would be a great thing for our online persona. Perhaps some of the ones in the avatar packs in-game could be converted? While lolcats, mlp gifs, anime pictures, et. al. might be going too far, I don't think it's too much to ask to allow us to change our default Excalibur avatar to another warframe.

That said I think the Excal icon looks fantastic - I just mean giving people different ways to represent and express themselves is a great thing, especially if it doesn't break the "mood" of the forums being part of the game universe.

Edited by Volume

But ... how do 9 frames help almost 24000 members to give themselves individual labels for fast recognition whilst scanning a thread?

It's like I am talking to a wall. Except for 'Becca's "Noted." people aren't even commenting on this argument, they just post their opinions, unreflected of the prior thread. Like, over and over again, like drive-by posts.

Drives me nuts.

But ... how do 9 frames help almost 24000 members to give themselves individual labels for fast recognition whilst scanning a thread?

It's like I am talking to a wall. Except for 'Becca's "Noted." people aren't even commenting on this argument, they just post their opinions, unreflected of the prior thread. Like, over and over again, like drive-by posts.

Drives me nuts.

Maybe some feel it's not as necessary? But yeah most people don't seem to read past the first few posts and the title :P I feel your pain.

I agree with Volume though, sod gifs, let it be warframes all around. I don't want to see lolcats, anime pictures and "party hard" whatevers either.

What I asked for:

• Single image.
  • Not animated.
  • Selectable by user for easier identification.
  • Don't care what it is, within reason.
What people are discussing:
  • GIFs.
  • Signatures.
  • Stockimages.
  • The validity of lolcats.
  • Personal taste when it comes to anime pictures.

Sometimes, people leave me puzzled.

What's it to you if Peter over there has Alucard from Hellsing as his custom avatar? It's just some dude with yellow-orangey shades, red and black. Doesn't matter if you like it, it'll help you identify him. What's it to you if Clarissa over there has Black Veil Brides as her avatar? Some androgyn dudes in all black, don't care. What's it to you if Ecfor over there is a huge Brony and rocks some Rainbow Dash as her avatar? Go right ahead, it doesn't change what I'd do. I'd memorize the image and associate it with Ecfor, done deal done. The image itself? Irrelevant.

What I am asking for is very, very simple.

What's it to you if Peter over there has Alucard from Hellsing as his custom avatar? It's just some dude with yellow-orangey shades, red and black. Doesn't matter if you like it, it'll help you identify him. What's it to you if Clarissa over there has Black Veil Brides as her avatar? Some androgyn dudes in all black, don't care. What's it to you if Ecfor over there is a huge Brony and rocks some Rainbow Dash as her avatar? Go right ahead, it doesn't change what I'd do. I'd memorize the image and associate it with Ecfor, done deal done. The image itself? Irrelevant.

Answer is clear I think, keeping it warframe-related rather than the high possibility of %60-70 of the forum users having random silly pictures. Why does it matter so much?

I don't understand you. Maybe I am doing something horribly wrong.

Answer is clear I think, keeping it warframe-related rather than the high possibility of %60-70 of the forum users having random silly pictures.

What's it to you [...]?

The image itself? Irrelevant.

Why does it matter so much?

I am asking for those avatars to have quick identifiers of who I am taling to/who is talking to me. When I see Rebecca post, I see the Lotus and know it's her. Steve is the J3 Golem. Etc. It would be great if we could have this, too, to faster recognize who we are conversing with.

Maybe I was unclear or hard to understand, but I feel like I am repeating myself ad nauseum. I keep answering the same question(s), and two posts later, it's like the Men in Black came in and zapped that moment away.

Edited by Ced23Ric

Maybe I was unclear or hard to understand, but I feel like I am repeating myself ad nauseum. I keep answering the same question(s), and two posts later, it's like the Men in Black came in and zapped that moment away.

What's it to me? It's silly, I don't want to see it, just my personal preference. You were right about the GIFs earlier and I think your point extends to custom avatars as well, is that so hard to figure out?

When I said why does it matter so much, I was actually asking "why are you so fanatical about it" in a more polite way, nothing is misunderstood, I just think it's trivial.

No need to be so rude though... And what do you have against personal preferences? you don't need to impose every single opinion you have on everyone, just saying.

Personally, I would like the freedom to use my main avatar that I use EVERYWHERE (As an added bonus, it would be awesome to see it in-game, but since it's only me that sees it anyway because I have no friends, IDC). The ability to use one's own, personal avatar allows for people to see who has said what at a glance, especially if said people frequent the forums on a regular basis. It's one of those things; An avatar is a representation of yourself.

At present, everybody except Administrators and Staff are Excalibur. We all look the same. Fair enough DE might just see us as (outstandingly helpful, sometimes rather immature) players of their game*, but I'd like to think that as time goes on, forum dwellers will be allowed to customize who they are/look like to the general public.

TL;DR version: Avatars allow for at-a-glance recognition of who has said what, instead of paying attention to the names above each post. Signatures are unnecessary and, although a method of personal expression, tend to clutter up the read-space as opposed to the rather empty and pre-existing image at the left hand side of every post.

*:DE may not actually see us as such. Azure_Kyte derived this information from a combination of Nitrogen, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide and a multitude of other gases (Thin Air)

Edited by Azure_Kyte

I cannot argue against hypocrisy.

I think I was being perfectly reasonable, not ironic nor hypocritical at all. It doesn't always have to be either black or white, this is the Warframe forums, thus it should be warframe-related even where the avatars are concerned. But even then it's still a trivial matter to me personally, I'm fine either way, I just prefer if it was warframes and not "random stuff".

But then I don't post memes and Reddit-ish stuff every now and then either, so what do I know anyway, right? :P

Can't argue against semantic fallacies.

PS: just so we're clear, I was quite clearly talking about common decency in the bit you quoted, not how the forums should be. And you're still rude.

Edited by CapricaSix

Actually I see Caprica's point. If (and only if) the Devs want the "world" of WARFRAME to extend to the forums, then having the avatars limited to Warframe-related images makes sense. Already people have referred to each other within the context of the game - (i.e., "Greetings Tennos") and that might be deliberate.

My question would be if this was a deliberate choice or simply a matter of having other priorities, other things to deal with. If its the former, I get that. I would still like the option of multiple default avatars, and if they wanted to give a bit more freedom within Warframe, give us an option in the game (like in the color picker area) where you can take a "snapshot" picture of your unique warframe, in all its pastel colored glory, and use it as your personal avatar.If its a matter of time and resources, they should also say so, then we can be quiet and let them get on with making the game we all enjoy playing, and let them get to the avatar thing when they have a slow Tuesday afternoon or something.

In either case, I'm fine with it.

[...] and let them get to the avatar thing when they have a slow Tuesday afternoon or something.

Oh man, that reminded me of one of Steve's best posts. :D

[This warframe] and another one that better get finished today or we're all dead.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Ced23Ric & CapricaSix

I tried to read through your discussion, but near the end i lost track of who said what. i think different avatars might have helped there *winkwinkhinthint*

as for my personal opinion:

The suggestion about "screenshoting" your ingame frame is a nice idea, but probably complicated to implement. Would be easier if someone threw together a quick "dress up" flash to choose your frame and pick some colors, which are then saved as image and set for forum avatars.

However, i'd prefer gravatar, think it wouldn't hurt to have custom avatars as long as they are not animated nor be bigger than the current ones. they even have picture ratings, so admins can enforce G-rated avatars. Not sure about having community guidelines requiring them to be strictly warframe themed (though pink ponies and yellow sponges in a space shooter is weird)

addendum: while we're at it, i think the forum "ranks" like master and grandmaster are a bit too much of a show-off. maybe they could be smaller, especially horizontally?

Edited by MercuryDoll

lol MercuryDoll.

I'm not really sure about Gravatar, it's good in theory but it has always caused minor problems for me, either quality-wise or the delay when you upload a picture, other than that it's easy to use, "global" and convenient, biggest inconvenience is that the user has to sign up for a Gravatar; not to mention the customer support already uses it. Can't really say, maybe.

Can't really argue against the founder badge though, even devs don't look this fabulous~

Edited by CapricaSix

I'm not really sure about Gravatar, it's good in theory but it has always caused minor problems for me, either quality-wise or the delay when you upload a picture, other than that it's easy to use, "global" and convenient, biggest inconvenience is that the user has to sign up for a Gravatar; not to mention the customer support already uses it. Can't really say, maybe.

you have a point. maybe just setting the requirement to have 50 posts or so is already enough to let people get used to the customs of the forum. So they can see that people like a theme going here.

Can't really argue against the founder badge though, even devs don't look this fabulous~

Heh, true. but it's a bit distracting. Maybe they could exchange that for a golden glowing frame around the avatar, perhaps a golden/yellow Name too?

you have a point. maybe just setting the requirement to have 50 posts or so is already enough to let people get used to the customs of the forum. So they can see that people like a theme going here.

That'd be one way to do it, although I'd prefer if they had tons of warframe related avatars, like say, 20-25 different avatars of the each warframe and enemies and such with different style and angles etc, think of the D&D games. I doubt it'd require too much effort.

Heh, true. but it's a bit distracting. Maybe they could exchange that for a golden glowing frame around the avatar, perhaps a golden/yellow Name too?

You're right it is a bit distracting, personally I don't have a problem with your suggestion, a tiny Founder badge next to our golden name sounds lovely and subtle. But can't really speak for everyone, especially the Grandmasters who've spent so much.

Since the thread appears to have been hijacked, and the OP has abandoned it, I'll weigh in off-topic as well. I like animated avatars, +1 for that. Gravatar works for me as well.

The reasoning is simple: what's the purpose of showing an avatar? To me, it's to express individuality, which really isn't improved by substituting 6 or 10 or 15 choices for the original single choice. If you want people to represent themselves with an image....let them. If you don't care for animations, no disrespect intended, but maybe the web ain't your thang. Animations (and/or flash) are pretty commonplace.

+1 also for the idea of allowing username colors to represent achievements or awards. Devs use bright red, why not let Grand Masters/Masters/etc. use some other bright color(s) to call attention to their contributions to the game. Same idea could be applied to members who exceed various post thresholds, along the lines of a 'superuser' or similar, or to last week's/month's top people on the leaderboards. Seems like a nice perk for leading the pack. To cut down on forum maintenance, only award this perk if a player's been top 10 on a monthly leaderboard three times, or three consecutive times, something like that.

As far as the size of the badges goes, I bought one, and I have no objection to making them a little bit smaller. But it seems to me.....they'd make pretty decent avatars themselves, just like they are. And I'd certainly use mine for that purpose, at least some of the time. Why not let Founders use them for that purpose now?