Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Space Pirates! Environment Proposition

Luminati07

Hey everyone,

I'm sure many of you have seen the Space Pirates thread, if you haven't, here it is - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/15939-suggestion-new-faction-space-pirates'>Link

I originally posted this idea here - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/63841-new-maps-to-look-like-avatar-2009-movie-world-good-idea'>Link

But, I thought it warranted its own thread. 

The original topic was someone asking for an environment like Avatar (2009), you know, with the floating islands, magical forests etc.

I said that it didn't really fit Warframe, but a normal forest would be a great environment.

Then I got thinking. We know that DE is bringing out a new faction, and we know that they are interested in the Space Pirates idea.

Why not introduce a forest environment for the new faction. (this is purely speculative that the next faction will be Space Pirates).

A forest could be their hideout.

They use forests for several reasons.

1. It's harder to track them.

2. It's very easy for them to lay traps for intruders, and they are hard to spot.

3. They have the advantage of elevation, they can fire down on us from the trees.

4. Easy for them to camouflage themselves.

5. Lots of cover for them.

6. Lots of ways for them to escape if it gets too dangerous.

The list goes on and on.

We all know how awesome forests can look in video games, and Warframe would be no exception.

forest%20crysis%201680x1050%20wallpaper_

b4b90c1crysis2008.jpg

crysis2011051613131335.png

Treetop.pngFreedom_Fighters.png

Sure, Warframe is no Crysis. But those are just some examples of how good a forest environment can look in games.

They can have rivers, houses, clearings, treetop hideouts etc.

The possibilities are endless.

The only issues that I see are:

1. It'd be a lot of work, so this sort of thing would have to be way down the line.

2. Depending on the amount of foliage, it could be very taxing on your system.

Thanks for reading, thoughts?

*Edit*

Just imagine the hidden area potential!

I don't need to put my thoughts here, I'm sure you can imagine the awesome ways designers could hide areas in a forest.

Edited by Nugget_

It would be nice to have some missions/maps that were much more open. Slightly less so like a having players be rats in a maze seeking the cheese (linear routes) maybe a larger open map, with objectives spread out, and objective markers.

Then you give players the freedom to arrive at the objective and complete it. Missions like "Disable the Network array" could end up with network server stations spread out along a large open forest map like above, with a centralized-ish extraction point.

What I'm getting at is, I'd love to see forest/wilderness areas, but the small arena to arena format seems counter-intuitive to that type of design, unless its linear forests (it can happen).

It would be nice to have some missions/maps that were much more open. Slightly less so like a having players be rats in a maze seeking the cheese (linear routes) maybe a larger open map, with objectives spread out, and objective markers.

Then you give players the freedom to arrive at the objective and complete it. Missions like "Disable the Network array" could end up with network server stations spread out along a large open forest map like above, with a centralized-ish extraction point.

What I'm getting at is, I'd love to see forest/wilderness areas, but the small arena to arena format seems counter-intuitive to that type of design, unless its linear forests (it can happen).

It'd be nice to have more open maps. Not too open though, it shouldn't end up being like an open world game.

It's fairly simple for DE to keep restrictions in the level, there are much better options than the locked doors we have in most missions.

Cliffs, deep waters, landslides.

There's plenty of natural ways to stop the missions being open world, and I think they'd look great.

I agree with the freedom part of your post, more freedom in missions is never a bad thing.

The locked doors are there because of the way level randomization works. It also means each open space needs to be separated by doors. The game wouldn't know how to connect them otherwise.

Anyway, I'd like to see some more contemporary areas in ruins. Concrete skyscrapers with slightly odd architecture and future language to make it clear it isn't modern earth ruins. Wound through the shattered buildings and highways the pirates have built trap laden shanty towns out of scavenged materials.

enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west-xbox-360-05

Enslaved-Odyssey-to-the-West-Gamescom-Tr

The locked doors are there because of the way level randomization works. It also means each open space needs to be separated by doors. The game wouldn't know how to connect them otherwise.

Anyway, I'd like to see some more contemporary areas in ruins. Concrete skyscrapers with slightly odd architecture and future language to make it clear it isn't modern earth ruins. Wound through the shattered buildings and highways the pirates have built trap laden shanty towns out of scavenged materials.

enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west-xbox-360-05

Enslaved-Odyssey-to-the-West-Gamescom-Tr

I know how the levels are generated, and I know why the locked doors are there. Locked doors are also used (in many games) as a way to block off exploration. I probably should have made it more clear, in regards to what I meant about the locked doors.

I didn't mean that DE only has them there to stop exploration.

The pictures you posted are great though!

Edited by Nugget_

I like the idea of jungles with ruins because that would fit the ancient theme of the galaxy much better. After all, we have been shown that this is faaaaaaaar awaaaaaayyyyy into the future, so where are all the cool crumbling ruins?

Oh and ... before anyone says it, EWOKS!

It does make sense that there'd be some crumbling ruins of ancient civilizations, and they'd make for some awesome tilesets!

I don't know whether I'd prefer a full forest, or a dead city covered in foliage....

I have a feeling the dead city would make for a much more interesting and atmospheric location.

I like the idea of jungles with ruins because that would fit the ancient theme of the galaxy much better. After all, we have been shown that this is faaaaaaaar awaaaaaayyyyy into the future, so where are all the cool crumbling ruins?

Oh and ... before anyone says it, EWOKS!

Would be funnier if you are all cool and stuff, then something hellish spawn from the jungle attacks you :O

Volcanic tilesets would be cool. Some interesting environmental hazards could also be added.

Perhaps the Grineer could have a factory near a volcano. Using the lava / heat to forge the metal used in construction of ships, armour and weapons.. (I have no idea how forging works, or how plausible lava is for it)

That's just one idea.

I'm not sure if I'm fully bought by the whole forest thing, but the idea of foliage overridden colonies sounds like a viable idea, especially as an Earth tileset. I personally see space pirates hiding out in more of a atmosphere-based station or colony, like some kind of tent city made out of scrap metal. Although if I remember correctly, DE was planning some kind of desert/wasteland tilesets, I feel that might be better fitting for what're essentially rogues and bandits. Still, anything's possible.

The desert wasteland is the new Grineer planetary tileset.

I always think jungles + pirates/bandits/guerrillas because the most famous historical examples operated in tropical environments. It's very easy to hide in a jungle, especially in an setting where an AI can pick up life-signs from across the solar system. What better place to mask you than the most alive biome in existence?

like the idea of a forest, but it would be way down the line. and they'd have to balance it so it wouldn't crash systems just by loading. if you think the connections are bad now, think how they'll be with something taxing like that. i would like to see forests tho.

i don't really like this.

mixing games is not the solution guys o:

If you keep up with this in some time your gonna be asking for friggin boats crossing the grineer space ships .-.

How about creating a faction of Green alien ET's with some wierd guns, or some messed up creatures in far distant planets in another galaxy?

Let's not mix forests with atmosphere-less planets and with space ships. 

Edited by Mr.Pava