Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kela De Thaym, Best Boss Fight To Date?

Rambit23Z

very pretty boss fight, the stage, kela and her animations were all very good

thatd be about it though, the puzzle was more annoying than anything else; its prettly long and drawn out solo for no other reason than just waiting on the puzzle and the missles to go away

its not the worst, but its far from the best boss DE's done (tyl and his sexy voice)

that all said I really liked the arena leading up to the boss fight

nice to see those pvp maps used for something good, very happy with DE right now

5 minutes ago, SanguineSavant said:

Friend of mine was curious if there's a position on the map or ability that can deter the missiles. Anyone know?

You might be able to use the bottom of the arena for cover. I just used parkour and ocasionally Molt.

I kinda didn't enjoy it, too much button shooting and not enough fight, also it's sprrawling with damage caps and stuff like this again. Why can't we have a simple you vs. him/her style? I don't need puzzles, no damage caps. I'm simply here to shoot things!

one orbital strike after another with rollers making it annoying in between just changes this from a well designed fight the THE MOST FFING ANNOYINGTHING EVER!

Imo there should be a way to prevent the rollers from spawning in the first place and a longer period of time between strikes would not hurt either, or better said, it would hurt less.

This ranks with the Jordas Golem and Hek as the most tedious and annoying boss I ever had to fight in this game. It wasnt even Kela, its the @(*()$ rollers and obital strike. Way to much crap is going on to even keep track of. I didnt even make it past the second stage when she shows up, after about ten minutes of constant bombardment and revives, the rest of the cell left.

I will gladly take a bullet sponge boss if its means taking less balls to the face... Oh God Dammit DE...

1 hour ago, PhillipJokar said:

With one person clearing rollers from the top, other players on the platform can easily clear 1-2 targets per bombardment rotation. Just start moving a couple seconds before bombardment starts because it starts IMMEDIATELY.

Strategy? In a combat game? Stop with this nonsense!  If I can't look at my enemy really hard until they fall over, something is clearly wrong.

I loved this boss fight! How there was 8 rollers per player, and how they kept stun locking me while i had to do a shooting puzzle/gallery, best game design ever, oh and kela, she had so mutch hp it really made it more enjoyable, oh, and the orbital strikes should just oneshot on hit, that'd really make it better

6 minutes ago, Schregger said:

Okay, I just beat the boss fight... solo...

Is it some kind of wrong that its easier to beat this boss solo than with a group?

Bosses scale on your equipment which means more players = tougher boss.

I just did the fight again. A few more Rollers spawned, but ultimately went the same as the first run. Only took 6 minutes.

9 minutes ago, Rambit23Z said:

Bosses scale on your equipment which means more players = tougher boss.

I just did the fight again. A few more Rollers spawned, but ultimately went the same as the first run. Only took 6 minutes.

They don't scale on equipment, nothing does, they scale on the number of players

3 minutes ago, Datcoolguy said:

They don't scale on equipment, nothing does, they scale on the number of players

Vor did at some point, and apparently it was changed due to absurd levels.

"Prior to Update 9.1, Vor's algorithms for level scaling based on player level and number resulted in the possibility of getting level 100 Vors with teams of 4. The algorithm was changed in Update 9.1 to prevent such absurdity from occurring again."

Anyway, I did record the second fight and might have it up by tomorrow.

This is literally the worst boss battle to date, and imo the best indicator that DE does absolutely 0 play-testing before releasing content. 

Here are my problems with her:

- First and foremost, the fact that another boss is being rebuilt with stages. This needs to be said. Stages are literally the laziest, most shallow, least engaging, most r*tarded and most aggravating way to make a boss. This is literally enemy design 101. Waiting for the boss to go through his stages or do x animation, or being invulnerable for a lot of time with NO counter-play kicks you out of the experience immediately and kills ANY engagement the boss battle could ever have, and in a game like warframe, where we are supposed to PLAY THE SAME BOSS MULTIPLE TIMES, this approach of staged bosses should be a non starter. Because if ever, this type of boss works only once. Can bosses be hard without stages? Ask old Juggernaut Sortie 3 scaling. 

- Waiting as difficulty. Pretty much the entire battle works on a bunch of small timers, the stages have stages and triggers to move to the next thing, and now you have to wait until the attack is over and blah blah... takes a lot of time. Every time you f*ck up, it takes even more time. That's it. That's literally all there is to it. Waiting is just not a fun thing to do. It's not engaging, or difficult, but it creates the ILLUSION of difficulty. Because it takes up more time. That's all there is to it though. The battle has a lot of interesting aesthetic choices, a great setting, interesting lore, but when it comes to how it plays it's just bad.

-Controlling the flow of battle. This used to be a thing, you know? I don't know if there is literally anyone who understands the core appeal of Warframe left in DE at this point. Warframe is about battling at your own pace and style. That's what makes it unique from a lot of other games. And initially, many clever decisions went into making enemies that compliment that. But now with all the spectacle creep on the warframe and weapon side (it's been through the roof), we're fighting enemies that are simply not engaging anymore. Ever wonder why so many people hate nullifies and ospreys? That's why. Not because of the difficulty, but because of how they feel to play against. No thought is put into this aspect of the game anymore, and it shows in this bossfight. I hope you like Valkyr and Frost because these are literally the only viable warframes against this boss. What's that? You have a diverse arsenal of cool stuff, and you want to have fun? DE doesn't care.

-WHY DOES MY CAMERA SHAKE LIKE THIS? Who played this thing over there and though this was a good idea? 

TL;DR: It's not difficult. It's just shallow, repetitive and time-consuming. Designed to make you FELL like it's difficult, more than designed to deliver actual difficulty.

Edited by Thodor1s

I personally enjoyed it.

Yea rollers are pain but once I had either CC frame or Oberon to avoid stagger the puzzles are breeze.

Stages where interesting, I admit rockets are a bit overkill dmg wise but at least they are kinda doge-able.

Overall, it was a fun boss. 

4 minutes ago, Thodor1s said:

This is literally the worst boss battle to date, and imo the best indicator that DE does absolutely 0 play-testing before releasing content. 

Here are my problems with her:

- First and foremost, the fact that another boss is being rebuilt with stages. This needs to be said. Stages are literally the laziest, most shallow, least engaging, most $&*&*#(%& way to make a boss. This is literally enemy design 101. Waiting for the boss to go through his stages or do x animation, or being invulnerable for a lot of time with NO counter-play kicks you out of the experience immediately and kills ANY engagement the boss battle could ever have, and in a game like warframe, where we are supposed to PLAY THE SAME BOSS MULTIPLE TIMES, this approach of staged bosses should be a non starter. Because if ever, this type of boss works only once. Can bosses be hard without stages? Ask old Juggernaut Sortie 3 scaling.

I would say the infamous "shoot the engines" boss is way lazier. That fight had no depth or thought about it. And staged bosses is nothing new. Ever played WoW when it was popular? Lots of Stages based fights there.

7 minutes ago, Thodor1s said:

- Waiting as difficulty. Pretty much the entire battle works on a bunch of small timers, the stages have stages and triggers to move to the next thing, and now you have to wait until the attack is over and blah blah... takes a lot of time. Every time you f*ck up, it takes even more time. That's it. That's literally all there is to it. Waiting is just not a fun thing to do. It's not engaging, or difficult, but it creates the ILLUSION of difficulty. Because it takes up more time. That's all there is to it though. The battle has a lot of interesting aesthetic choices, a great setting, interesting lore, but when it comes to how it plays it's just bad.

The puzzle tests your marksmanship skills. So that not everything gets instantly "solved" with "apply Tigris to face".

9 minutes ago, Thodor1s said:

-Controlling the flow of battle. This used to be a thing, you know? I don't know if there is literally anyone who understands the core appeal of Warframe left in DE at this point. Warframe is about battling at your own pace and style. That's what makes it unique from a lot of other games. And initially, many clever decisions went into making enemies that compliment that. But now with all the spectacle creep on the warframe and weapon side (it's been through the roof), we're fighting enemies that are simply not engaging anymore. Ever wonder why so many people hate nullifies and ospreys? That's why. Not because of the difficulty, but because of how they feel to play against. No thought is put into this aspect of the game anymore, and it shows in this bossfight. I hope you like Valkyr and Frost because these are literally the only viable warframes against this boss. What's that? You have a diverse arsenal of cool stuff, and you want to have fun? DE doesn't care.

This is mainly opinion based. I'll have you know that I like Nullifiers and even Sapping Ospreys, because without them there would be not a single shred of challenge.

11 minutes ago, Thodor1s said:

I hope you like Valkyr and Frost because these are literally the only viable warframes against this boss. What's that? You have a diverse arsenal of cool stuff, and you want to have fun? DE doesn't care.

This is just straight up false.

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Thodor1s said:

-WHY DOES MY CAMERA SHAKE LIKE THIS? Who played this thing over there and though this was a good idea? 

It only shakes if you get hit, we have parkour for a reason.

1 hour ago, Rambit23Z said:

Alright, after 8 hours, the video is finally processed. (Maybe I shouldn't have recorded it in 1080p 60fps)

Hide contents

Really not seeing these problems.

I....just noticed something DE done right. Those missiles that Kela fires don't follow the player around constantly like they have a mind of their own. Really hoping they'll update this for the Bombards in one of the coming updates. :V

Edited by Knightmare047

25 minutes ago, Knightmare047 said:

I....just noticed something DE done right. Those missiles that Kela fires don't follow the player around constantly like they have a mind of their own. Really hoping they'll update this for the Bombards in one of the coming updates. :V

Yep, dodging actually matters for these missiles, just like the old Kela fight. I've been asking for such a change for a while.

13 hours ago, Genoscythe said:

I kinda didn't enjoy it, too much button shooting and not enough fight, also it's sprrawling with damage caps and stuff like this again. Why can't we have a simple you vs. him/her style? I don't need puzzles, no damage caps. I'm simply here to shoot things!

Basically, this. So many games from which DE could draw influence for boss fights. Borderlands, Souls games.

And yet, ever boss rework is so utterly terrible. It's all puzzle bosses and ancient, outdated invulnerable phases.

Please just stop with this garbage.