Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kela De Thaym, Best Boss Fight To Date?

Rambit23Z

in my opinion yes, this was the most tenno fight to the moment

lol, was reading the other comments and i think you all just need to think how to deal with the rollers, it so damn easy, and those asking to simply shoot things that is what every boss was before, and that was very boring, also, invulnerability phases? i did not see any of these in kela

Edited by rockscl

Alright, just finished the boss fight solo using Excal with Dex Sybaris, Mara Detron and Nikana Prime. Didn't cheese so much with Exalted Blade except when Kela's health was low and I simply wanted to finish her off with Excal's ulti. Overall, I enjoyed it as I had to be kept on the move to constantly dodge Kela's attacks along with the rollers and orbital strikes. I had to make use of Bullet Jumping, rolling, etc. And of course, Kela's missiles don't have a mind of their own like the Bombards', Jackal's, Razorback's, and Bursas' missiles. IMO, a much better boss than Tyl Regor.

However, my issues with the fight were :
- The buttons could not be pressed during the Orbital Strikes. I actually would like to sneak in a few shots or rotate the wheel a little during the Orbital Strikes.
- The timer for the second Orbital Strike phase is waaaay too short. Especially with the Rollers that began spawning. I would have preferred if the timer was the same as the first, but with the Rollers spawning. I'll admit, it began annoying me quite a bit.
- As much as the puzzle didn't bother me too much aside from being time consuming in the second phase, I'm still questioning why we had to shoot them. Was it because it controls the Orbital Strikes? Is it because of some random challenge to entertain the audience? If the Lotus or Steel Meridian suddenly talked during the battle and told us the reason why we have to shoot them, it'd be much better. :/

I'm not going to talk about the grind for the mods as I have little interest in grinding for them. Although I do understand the frustration behind it. But for the boss fight itself, I enjoyed it for my first time.

Edited by Knightmare047

11 second window is far too short. Obnoxious fight that could have been great. The premise is fine, but there are too many specifics that make me not even want to bother with this fight again. Not interested anymore.

From 18.10.2

Made many difficulty and timing changes to the Kela de Thaym boss fight such as:

• Better controlling her movements throughout her Arena to not overlap 'spammy' behaviours.
  • Rollers won't jump up to the main area.
  • Increased time between Orbital strikes and target locks.

What I liked about Kela fight:

• Slight puzzle design that, while not exactly intuitive, was a fresh twist on the normally hum-drum boss fights in WF.
  • The different phases, and change up in mechanics throughout the fight

What I didn't like about Kela fight:

• Rollers.
  • Rollers.
  • Rollers.
  • Rollers.
  • Rollers.
  • Rollers.
  • Rollers.
  • Rollers.

Rollers make the fight not-fun. Love everything else, though.

I'm not sure, her quality varies. On every other run she shoots her missiles from her balcony during and after orbital strikes leaving few second window to shoot the plates. It's still doable. On other runs she does not shoot the missiles from the balcony leaving me to deal only with orbital strikes (extremely easy). Which one is a bug and which one is not? 

LLb2irM.jpg

yes this boss is so good compared to others i love it now i demand the corpus boss rework to go up by 11 from this but ya the rollers could use a tone down the ones right before the boss but de patched that so no more complains from me

Edited by hazerddex

On 4/30/2016 at 8:29 AM, Thodor1s said:

This is literally the worst boss battle to date, and imo the best indicator that DE does absolutely 0 play-testing before releasing content.

Actually the best indicator that DE does little playtesting is them saying "we don't do much playtesting".  But saying they do zero testing at all is just ... I have no response to that.  Players are their testers, I thought that was obvious.  If you want a bug free more balanced update, switch to consoles.  By the time they get updates, all the testing PC users do go into the final build they receive.

You put out a very well thought out and detailed opinion, but it is just that, your opinion.  Good thing you are entitled to it.

As far as opinions go though, I can't believe you think a Sortie 3 Juggie is an appropriate comparison for a "good boss fight".  There are just so many things wrong with him as it is.  But, just like you, that's my opinion.

Personally I really enjoyed this fight, the rollers are indeed annoying but manageable if you actually plan for them, which no one does the first time in.  After that you know they are coming so it gets easier.

Compared to that guy who's glowy bits you have to shoot, this fight is far superior.  She is agile, interactive and requires actual thought and split second reactions, as opposed to "stand here, shoot there, wait wait yawn, done".

Edited by Xekrin
reasons

Yeah, she's a well made and fun fight. The rollers aren't very bad considering only the ones that she spawns can get to the top platform, and the phase mechanic with the orbital strike/rotating slot stuff is actually really nice after they slightly increased the window. If you get the rhythm right on getting to one of the plates as the strike ends, and have a low error rate on shooting the discs, one person can get two full sets in a single strike countdown. The cold proc thumpers are a nice touch, but ridiculously easy to avoid, same with her missile volleys in her second and third phases (just one left or right dodge will allow you to avoid it). I also feel like her reworked fight/arena stay true to her pervious incarnation's main tactics of knockdown/explosives/rollers while making it quite a bit more interesting.

After I've killed her about a dozen times now - I like the battle, all in all. Funniest thing was when I found out that you can put her to sleep mid-air with Equinox. :D

One small change I'm hoping for before she's released after this event: I think it would be better if she bailed Vay Hek style at the end of the battle. Maybe with a quip like "that's it for today, see you again next week" (or whatever talkshow hosts say). Also, I'm missing her entourage of male Elite Grineer. :(

On 29.4.2016 at 1:28 AM, Rambit23Z said:

Kela- She's not a bullet sponge

Her sponginess really seems to depend on the weapons you bring. I've run her with a number of different secondaries now (like Sonicor, Telos Akbolto, Synoid Gammacor) and she seems way more susceptible to elemental than to physical damage. Considering her design as a more light-weight and agile boss, she could probably do with a bit less health.

On 29.4.2016 at 1:37 AM, Shirotsuki said:

You have 10 seconds per launch before they come back over and over until all of the buttons are done. Doing that solo takes ages.

Ignis. I can do all four wheels in a single 15-seconds-interval. You should look that you stay up on the platform, though, jumping back up from the ground level takes valuable seconds.

On 30.4.2016 at 2:29 PM, Thodor1s said:

- First and foremost, the fact that another boss is being rebuilt with stages. This needs to be said. Stages are literally the laziest, most shallow, least engaging, most r*tarded and most aggravating way to make a boss. [...] Ask old Juggernaut Sortie 3 scaling.

Personally, I prefer crafted boss battles with stages to make sure transmissions have enough time to play and such (not like Corrupted Vor who continues talking for a minute after he's toast, because you kill him within seconds) over bosses that are so spongy that I go through several ammo pads before they die.

Also, until we have a huge balance pass over the entire content, we will need staged bosses so not to blow them up within seconds. Consider how many damage-increasing mods we had when this game started and how many we have today. Of course boss battles didn't need speed bumps back then because everyone was in about the same range of damage. But today, with corrupted mods that can double your power strength or weapon damage?

45 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

Actually the best indicator that DE does little playtesting is them saying "we don't do much playtesting".  But saying they do zero testing at all is just ... I have no response to that.  Players are their testers, I thought that was obvious.

Adding to this, they can only do so much playtesting in the studio before you stop seeing which things might get problematic. Not to forget that the same people designed it all, so they might say "okay, this is because $reason" - but us players don't know why they made a certain design choice.

I lived it, actually interesting than some of the others and a good bar to set for future bosses. One thing I found wrong was her death sound: I mean it's appropriate if she's dying from a fire, acid proc, or if she fell into a pit of lava, but in most other situations it's just over the top and drawn out.

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, it wasn't very kubrow friendly.

Edited by DALOS

40 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

Her sponginess really seems to depend on the weapons you bring. I've run her with a number of different secondaries now (like Sonicor, Telos Akbolto, Synoid Gammacor) and she seems way more susceptible to elemental than to physical damage. Considering her design as a more light-weight and agile boss, she could probably do with a bit less health.

All enemies are more susceptible to elementals as long as you bring the right ones. Basic Warframe 101 right there.

On 29.04.2016 at 5:42 AM, PsychedelicSnake said:

The only problem I have with Kela's fight is the rollers. Not too bad in the fight itself but when you have to stand on the pad and shoot the green buttons, they are the worst.

Take Oberon with max range. His 2 provides status immunity and rollers can't stagger you and your teammates.

2 hours ago, Karatevater said:

People calling this the best boss fight to date just really shows how bad boss fights in this game are.

Yes, but at least they're going in the right direction. And honestly, most of the other bosses are "ok", nothing spectacular but ok.