The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do you think about those salty traders who thinks you're scamming them?

Aaryl

If people are Overpricing, they simply won't sell their items as easily. Most people don't seem to understand Haggling in this game. I set items at an above average price, and see if people will buy. Some people haggle me down a bit, most just rage and close the tab. Though lately I've met some very understanding people whom are open to trades. I do laugh every time I see someone asking 1000p for something, and the very next post is the same Item for like 50p.

7 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

that's your problem right there. you wouldn't go into a Wal-Mart and insult the cashier because your biscuits are too expensive. but on a free market, where you haggle over an unfixed, fluctuating market value, the rule book is thrown in the dirt.

I REALLY hate it when you put a price forward and they don't respond. I won't get offended if you say no, but I would appreciate it if you make a counter offer for me to consider. if I say no to that, then we don't trade and we move on. at least have the decency to not leave me hanging.

I normally throw my offer and close the window. If they are interessted they will respond. If they respond to say "no", a cat it is fine too.

You know a lot of the people who act angry and threaten to report you over your "high" prices, are actually using an old as dirt tactic to try to talk down your price by bullying. It's negotiation by threat, and usually attempted by teenagers who have a lot of growing up to do. Best to just ignore them and move on. 

I decided to farm some of the rathuum mods yesterday and buy the ones I didn't get after a couple rounds.

However, I went in offering 20 plat each for the mods unranked, which some people found outrageous. When I asked why they found it outrageous they said "Its worth about 50-60 plat unranked because its an event mod"

Then I try to correct them saying that Rebecca has said that the mods are permanently part of kela's drop table and will still be there after the event as per:

but then they say ok then ignore me, like I was lying.

1 minute ago, NINE_IRON_08 said:

I decided to farm some of the rathuum mods yesterday and buy the ones I didn't get after a couple rounds.

However, I went in offering 20 plat each for the mods unranked, which some people found outrageous. When I asked why they found it outrageous they said "Its worth about 50-60 plat unranked because its an event mod"

Then I try to correct them saying that Rebecca has said that the mods are permanently part of kela's drop table and will still be there after the event as per:

but then they say ok then ignore me, like I was lying.

They were trying to scam you and when you proved you weren't stupid enough to fail for it because you were well informed, they blocked you. Pretty simple to be honest. Scammers will block people at the drop of a hat if they think the person isn't a good mark. 

2 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

They were trying to scam you and when you proved you weren't stupid enough to fail for it because you were well informed, they blocked you. Pretty simple to be honest. Scammers will block people at the drop of a hat if they think the person isn't a good mark. 

I honestly believe that there was some sort of misunderstanding when the event started, since it had to be clarified, but I did end up getting the mods I wanted for 20 plat, it really depends who you ask and how friendly they are.

2 minutes ago, NINE_IRON_08 said:

I honestly believe that there was some sort of misunderstanding when the event started, since it had to be clarified, but I did end up getting the mods I wanted for 20 plat, it really depends who you ask and how friendly they are.

There probably were some people who honestly misunderstood definitely, but the ones who blocked you on a hair trigger... it certainly doesn't make them sound honest. 

Personally I'm one of the salty traders. But not in the sense that I am rude to you, I just prefer to buy low. Like I got an ember prime set for 160 by buying parts when they go for 509 sometimes. If someone tries to sell me anything for too much I usually hagle but if they don't move it I just saw no thank you but thank you for your time. 

I don't think your price is a scam per say but I do think you are over charging by a lot. Personally I don't have much spare cash to put in this game but I like to support the game and community so I try to buy platinum often for five or ten dollars. It just stings to use basically 2.5$ to buy a mod ya know? 

I've got a funny story about trading. So I spent about three days (no exagerstion) going through all my t1 survival keys to get my Volt P chassis. Of course RNG was like "you got vengeful revenant yesterday lol you aren't getting S#&$ for a while" so I turned to trade. Come across a dude who I believe was foreign (broken but good English) who said he had it, and asked what I was offering. I said $30 (why start high?) and he acted like I just offered him $5 for his first born. We finally settle on 45 in his dojo and as we finalize the deal he goes "oh no not enough credits" even though I can see he has 300,000 lmao. Tells me he'll get back to me when he has the creds. An hour later I see him selling again "Volt P chassis 60p." 

Face palm. Smh. Whatever you wanna say haha that guy was a #$&(%.

If people are rude I just shake my head and move on. I prefer them to offer me a price so I don't have to bother with the whole thing, I have the price in my head that I want and I see what they offer and then I make my decision based off those facts if they offer less I may drop my price down for a quick sale, otherwise I will write a nice polite no thank you and they say okay and have a nice day.

In the cases that I get a salty angry child I continue to be overly polite until they leave, no need for such behavior. :)

I rarely haggle, buying or selling. Once I have a number in mind, that'sounds my price. That said, I am polite and always reply regardless. The only people on my ignore list are the ones posting obnoxious garbage in trade chat. Things that have zero business being posted, like was nudes or whatever. My ignore list has gotten rather long, but my trade chat feed is far more manageable. 

I actually had a instance yesterday I really thought would turn salty but renewed my faith in people. A person was selling Sheev heatsink, no price listed. I asked the price, he replied 45p, which to me as a sortie reward felt high. So I replied thank you for your time, I was hoping for around 15p, but it's completely ok, good luck and take care. Expecting a horrible reply, I actually got, no problem, take care and good luck to you as well.

O.O

I was shocked! 2 ppl politely disagreed on a price difference, renewed my faith, and today had a successful day on trade making 60p on Sancti Castanas, didn't even ask for that price, they were offering. Trade Karma.. hopefully that guy got his 45p

Yeah trading can suck bad especially for boobies..in my first month I solr primed continuity ( just happened to run into bark at the right time ) , Loki prime and nova systems for less than 30 plat for everything. Now I look back so dissapointed that people told me that was okay I can't even farm the stuff back beside loki

I am going to play the devil's advocate here in a sense since most people seem to agree with the OP. 

First of all personally I simply would never contact anyone selling higher than the cheapest listed price. 

And that is where my argument begins. I understand you might value stuff higher than what it is sold for, but it is not actually worth that much. The cheapest price dictates the market. If you don't care about it then that is fine, but do not expect to make any (quick) sales. 

We have a tool for price comparison in warframe.market. That sets the bar and it is a tool everyone can use. People do not need to be willing to haggle when there is such a tool available. I never use trade chat for this exact reason and make all my deals (sales or buys) through the website.

The website also offers a tool for people to educate themselves in a sense because it would be a gigantic coincedence or big time sellers having price agreements to make the data available there unreliable. There is just too many people using it and it will balance itself out at the real market value. 

So I do not really understand people getting mad at you OP, because they could instead just buy somewhere else. I do however get why they might think your prices are not justified. There is an objective value to items and while it may vary a few plat depending on time of day etc. it is overall rather fixed and only subject to mid/long term developments. 

Edited by Burgingham

On 5/1/2016 at 7:12 AM, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I REALLY hate it when you put a price forward and they don't respond. I won't get offended if you say no, but I would appreciate it if you make a counter offer for me to consider. if I say no to that, then we don't trade and we move on. at least have the decency to not leave me hanging.

I'd just like to point out that there may be reasons behind this.  Sometimes I'll get responses that are so far out of the ballpark figures that I valued the item in question at, that I'm just not going to respond,thinking your joking or insulting me.  Ex don't offer to sell me a CP for 50p when I offered to buy it for 15p. (this actually happened).

Other times they may just be doing a price check and have no intention of buying the product, and don't feel like typing "sry not interested" to every single one of 20+ people who responded to their WTB.

I'm not saying all these instances are justified, some are just nit picky, but sometimes there are reasons behind them.

It's happened to me very recently. I was selling Fanged Fusillade to someone for 100, and some one comes up and says 'it's only worth 15'. Obviously, I was pretty sure he was new and/or low MR Rank, and yet he had several hundred hours logged in and was MR17.

Apparently his reasoning was that since it would come back sooner or later, I was an idiot for scamming people. In fact, he then went on to say that those who sold Mods for more than 20 plat were idiots (which meant he called a good chunk of the players in WF idiots). 

People sometimes, honestly.

On 5/1/2016 at 1:27 PM, Alcoholism said:

I find trading in this game to be a little bit of a steep learning curve especially for new players - hence why I assume other players think that someone selling something at a price much higher than others is "scamming".

I've been playing for nearly 2 years now and I still hate using trading chat. I only ever really bother when I need plat for slots so that doesn't help. Even taking my lack of trading experience into account, it is not an easy system to use. I can't really think of a better one though.

Maybe I should try Maroo's Bazaar. 

Salty traders, on either end of a trade, don't help either and can make things really difficult.

I don't know if this makes me an A****** but if I see someone in trade chat who say "WTS -insert prime gear- set" without the price ( and if they don't want a pm with the offer ) I ask them for a price check instead of asking directly for how much he/she sells it for and I may not be the only one who does this...am I?

They should really rename ignore to block or something. Ignoring people and 'Ignoring' them are way too interchangeable.

But uhh as for "scam" prices, you seen what people put for Kubrow imprints? Had a friend gleefully tell me he paid 900 plat for some rares, and that they resold some for twice. What in the what? So yeah free market an all that. Though calling everything a scam you don't agree with is a good way to take attention away from real scams. Crying wolf just lets the snakes in.

As for courtesy in the trade tab, I typically write off a deal as falling through if there's no response in 5 minutes. I know you should say "Oh no thank you" or whatever but I keep my own habits in mind when dealing with other people. Sometimes a WTB with a popular item has multiple responses and you can only deal with one at a time or you just flat out forgot about someone. It's also important to stay consistent with both your own pricing and how you deal with your buyer/seller. Had someone give me a decent offer for a part I wanted then when we were in the trade menu told me they had other buyers offering "more". That's an instant block.

13 minutes ago, TheMultitude said:

I've been playing for nearly 2 years now and I still hate using trading chat. I only ever really bother when I need plat for slots so that doesn't help. Even taking my lack of trading experience into account, it is not an easy system to use. I can't really think of a better one though.

Maybe I should try Maroo's Bazaar. 

Salty traders, on either end of a trade, don't help either and can make things really difficult.

I hear ya, I came back to the game after almost 2 and half years, albeit back then there was no trading so it took me many days trying to understand the dynamics of it all.

I was disappointed with Maroo's Bazaar when I went there; activated someone's trade thinking I could browse what they had and how much they were selling for. Unfortunately this just wasn't the case and I felt a bit embarrassed actually because the person thought I was going to make an offer. From what I could tell it's just a more "personal" approach to trading which I don't find much of an improvement compared to whispering a potential buyer/seller.

Each to their own I guess - but it would be nice to have a feature in the game where trading isn't such a daunting/annoying process and I'm sure it could very well be improved if players started to express to DE that the love for "social only trading" has started to degrade and it's time to get back to the basics. Again this is just my opinion but reading what I've seen so far I'd say relying purely on one type of trade process can get quite stale even for those who have mastered it.

On ‎01‎-‎05‎-‎2016 at 2:04 PM, --Q--Aaryl said:

-Snip-

In no way do I think your scamming them. Scamming in Warframe is when someone goes back on a deal and for example dont give their trade partner what was agreed upon or when someone try to exploit unobservative by altering the trade to their benefit on the trade screen. I would rather say your a bit greedy than a scammer. I would never pay 35 plat for a CP but then again its a free market and you do have the right to name your own price just as much as I have the right to decline while trying to find it cheaper somewhere else. If someone is salty because of your market prices and feel like insulting you just ignore them.