The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We need an Auction House..

Strikerays

On 5/5/2016 at 8:35 PM, Hypernaut1 said:

I really dont understand why people think an auction house would lead to cheaper items. 

Only trash common items will plummet in price.  Valuable items will skyrocket. Why? Undercutting doesnt work. You undercut too much and trade hawks will snatch up items and resell it. A high demand item priced too cheap will go FAST and you'll most likely be left with sellers willing to hold out for a better sale. When these sellers are eventually successful,  then they raise the average price as it will be obvious to the market what items are selling for .Current system is nebulous at best. People can ask for high prices, but there is no evidence if they actually go for that much.

Would lead to MUCH cheaper items. Many many players have lots more items than they currently have the time to sell in trade chat. With a convenient auction house everything will be able to sell everything they have, and prices will go way down. People may try to buy them all up and resell them higher but the constant supply will prevent that in most cases (other than vaulted items.

The last thing DE wants is for all prices to fall, as that essentially means that all the platinum that is out there increases in value compared to the value it had when it was purchased from DE. If tomorrow I could buy everythign i wanted at half the prices then i don't have to buy as much plat to get what i want. Bad for DE.

i wouldn't mind something like warframe market, where you put a list, people can search item with price but at the end the 2 players need to be there to do the transaction. Not an auction house where everything is automatic.

5 hours ago, Shockwave- said:

Would lead to MUCH cheaper items. Many many players have lots more items than they currently have the time to sell in trade chat. With a convenient auction house everything will be able to sell everything they have, and prices will go way down. People may try to buy them all up and resell them higher but the constant supply will prevent that in most cases (other than vaulted items.

The last thing DE wants is for all prices to fall, as that essentially means that all the platinum that is out there increases in value compared to the value it had when it was purchased from DE. If tomorrow I could buy everythign i wanted at half the prices then i don't have to buy as much plat to get what i want. Bad for DE.

Thats what I said. All common items will plummet. Anything truly rare will skyrocket and be worse than it is now.

Why? Because all cheap rare items will be snatched up lighting fast, and youll be left with the highest prices. Once a few whales start giving in to buying at those high prices- it will become the standard. Sellers wont feel the need to continuously undercut themselves if they know players with a lot of plat will easily find and buy their rare items. Especially in a passive auction house. It just wont happen, they are there to make the most they can make too. Whales will dictate the price of rare items. 

The current trade chat has a sense of urgency to it. You either sell at what you THINK the going rate is,  or you waste your time and have to try another day. An auction house makes it easy to hold out for the highest bidder.

The auction house mainly benefits those with a lot of plat and those with rare items and makes it easier for those two groups to find themselves. 

Edited by Hypernaut1

We do not need an auction house.

We do need a listing database so we can just list things for sale and look up things to buy.  EVE got things very right on this part.

Then limit the amount of items we can have listed at a time based on Mastery Rank so that everyone isn't listing everything they possibly can, but are making choices, and then the economy is insulated from dilution due to excessive listings.