The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do I Metal Auger

Crackpunch

Question

Hey guys, this is my first post here.

I recently picked up the metal auger mod and I was wondering, how does it work?

A: Does it make contact with an enemy and continue for the distance indicated on the mod?

B: Does it make contact with an enemy, penetrate, then continue to penetrate enemies, until it hits something thicker than its penetration value?

C: Does it penetrate the first enemy, subtracting the thickness of the enemy from the mod value, then continue to strike other enemies, until its penetration value has been reduced to 0?

I hope this image helps clarify what I mean:

5xvasGs.png

If it works like B or C, I will definitely be using a forma on my gorgon to properly accomodate the mod.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

8 answers to this question

im not sure as to which scenario applies, but logically i'd say A. Mostly because of the range of it. 0.6 mtr is next to nothing. Your enemies have to be hugging walls/stairs and in that scenario you can shoot them through said obstacle. Or really bunched up AKA horde of infested breathing down ur neck.

I think 0.6 penetration means it will penetrate 1 wall/obstacle with a maximum thickness of 0.6mtrs, and not substracting 0.4 and penetrating another target which is like 0.1mtr thick.

Not sure though, this is only my logical pov

You can probably test this yourself, doing something like this:

For A:

1. unequip multishot mod

2. equip 0.1m mod

3. zone into Eris:Xini solo

4. line up the cylindrical containers -- there are many choices, but I would choose the 2 that are lined up near the ramp where most of the infested spawn, because then you can observe bullet marks on the wall just beyond the 2nd container.

5. fire away

For B and C:

1. unequip multishot mod

2. equip 0.6m mod

3. let the infested horde spawn from that ramp

4. fire a single shot through the horde and see how many damage numbers you see

5. repeat this several times

Usually this sort of mechanic is done with A. The weapon does it's hitscan calculations, and then does a second calculation from the impact point that ignores collision and continues for the specified distance. 

From the description according to the wiki I was hoping it's B or at the very least C but I doubt it unfortunately...

In large hordes I don't see it penetrating more than 2 or so enemies.

I don't think it's worth the cost in its current state.

I have ruled out B, this is how I did it:

1. There is a spot on Xini that has 4 cylindrical containers (not far from zone-in) that you can line up.

2. I fired a single shot with Gorgon + Metal Auger 0.5m (and no multishot mods equipped).

3. The first 2 containers were destroyed, the second 2 remained intact.

Therefore the mechanic is definitely not B.  

I intend to test further to rule out others, but I also propose a new mechanic:

D: the bullet is allowed to puncture once up to the given amount.

Here is a summary of what I have learned so far:

Metal Auger 0.5m + Gorgon: 

-- Gorgon can shoot through the back of a player that gets in your way, shoot through walkways, railings and stairs (such as those found on Kappa mobile defense), and shoot through doors.

-- when combined with Enemy Radar you can clear enemies through a door that is on lockdown.

-- destroys 2 out of 4 cylindrical containers (i.e. punctures 1 container only)

Metal Auger 0.3m + Dethcube:

-- Dethcube can now shoot through doors and walkways.  This is good because otherwise it will autofire-fixate on that enemy without accomplishing anything.

-- Dethcube's proximity laser will shoot through a door that is on lockdown, or elevator door that has not yet opened.

Seeker 0.20m + Aklato:

-- destroys 1 out of 4 cylindrical containers (i.e. not enough to puncture 1 container)

I may do further testing, but probably not, because 0.3m on Dethcube and 0.5m on Gorgon appears to be working fine.

Also worth mentioning, that when combined with a multishot mod, it might be able to puncture all 4 containers with a single shot.    It would depend on delay, if any, between the original bullet and the multishot bullet.

Edited by je11yfish