Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has anyone mentioned about copyright for any WF Fanarts?

Azuhra

Recently we've found couple of people who believes that taking and posting other people's fanarts are okay without crediting the rightful artists/owner. I am one of those artists that art got stolen and repost without even asking for permissions. They didn't even credit me for all the hardwork that I did in my comics :/ (yes, this is upsetting me).

Can somehow DE mention about fanartists' copyright in Prime Time please? Because these people believes that they have the right to post some art that aren't theirs and didn't even bother to credit any of the artists.

When we did manage to ban the account, they will just keep coming back...

tumblr_o72mgidUAt1umfv3ko1_400.jpg

tumblr_o72mgidUAt1umfv3ko2_540.jpg

Editing the name :P

Edited by Azuhra

Stating the obligatory name and shame prevention methods.  Black out the names, it is awful that someone would steal your artwork but you still cannot break the rules.

Edited by Xekrin

As much as I appreciate your plight. DE can't really stop people from infringing on copyrights even if they come out and say it's wrong. Everyone already knows stealing is wrong. They're still doing it.

The life of an artist is often thankless and lonely, but understand a lot of us appreciate artwork and giving credit where credit is due.

Post your work hiagh and loud in the forum. Let us know that it´s your art. Let DE know.

That way when we see your art somewhere wlse, we can just wright that off as theft bu some really uncool people. As this is fanart and not original work, the only one who have some real claims to it is DE themselves.

I hate it happening though.

Just sign your work ?

Or if you sell it, watermark, etc,etc

If it's full fanmade, and you don't sell it... Sign it, and enjoy the fact that people like your work ?

Oh ! If it's warframe fanart, you're stealing (sort of) concepts too, just saying ^^

Edited by Xgomme

Even though they didnt mention your name, they are still spreading your work wich also has positive sides. If they arent saying hey all I amde this look at it, they are probally meaning the best to your art and want to show the rest of the world it aswell.

And I agree with the above comment, black out names as Name & Shaming is not allowed here on these forums.

Sadly, I don't think there's anything that can really be done about someone stealing your work.  If DE had a clause about fan art being the property of DE once posted to the forums, then it might be different. DE could then take action, but I doubt they'd go that far for its community.

2 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

-snip- 

Oh ! If it's warframe fanart, you're stealing (sort of) concepts too, just saying ^^

Not really.  It'd be stealing if the OP used Warframe assets and then started making a profit off of it and/or claimed their work to be original and not tied to Warframe/DE at all.  

Watermark, watermark everything. Put your name on it. Not saying you are lying but how do we know you aren't trying to take credit for this art by saying THEY stole it. Anytime I enter a contest, create a logo, fan art or even a clan emblem I put my name on it. I'm sorry this happened to you, It's wrong.

By the way you can get banned for posting names of people and accusing them.

Edited by Completionist

You don't have copyright privileges unless you go through the process of actually copyrighting something.

Since your art is based on an already copyrighted product it seems unlikely you would be able to actually obtain copyright rights on your art.

The process to actually copyright something, as well as other copyrighting information, can be found here : http://www.copyright.gov/

1 minute ago, Noamuth said:

Sadly, I don't think there's anything that can really be done about someone stealing your work.  If DE had a clause about fan art being the property of DE once posted to the forums, then it might be different. DE could then take action, but I doubt they'd go that far for its community.

Not really.  It'd be stealing if the OP used Warframe assets and then started making a profit off of it and/or claimed their work to be original and not tied to Warframe/DE at all.  

I mean he's making money/visibility/whatever with characters from DE, He didn't ask them like people won't ask him for his drawings. Same thing imo

He should make it for the art, not the fame.

3 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

I mean he's making money/visibility/whatever with characters from DE, He didn't ask them like people won't ask him for his drawings. Same thing imo

He's not making money with his Fan art, where did you get that? You can draw any character you want from whatever story as long as you don't try to make a profit from it and claim the creation as yours.

Edited by Completionist

1 minute ago, Completionist said:

He's not making money with his Fan art, where did you get that? You can draw any character you want from whatever story as long as you don't try to make a profit from it and claim it as yours.

Speculation, I don't know why he's whining so much. So I guessed he was making money with it. Btw read and extract the right element of my sentence ^^

" He didn't ask them (DE) like people won't ask him for his drawings "

So it's kinda fair, if you want credits, sign your work

5 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

You know for a fact that OP is making money off their Warframe fan art?  And DE encourages fan art, they not only have a sub-forum dedicated to it but they also provide and maintain a fan site kit.

Speculation, I don't know why he's whining so much. So I guessed he was making money with it. Btw read and extract the right element of my sentence ^^

" He didn't ask them (DE) like people won't ask him for his drawings "

So it's kinda fair, if you want credits, sign your work

Anyone would be upset if you spent time drawing something and it was taken from you and the person says they drew it. You don't need to make money off a drawing you made to be pissed when it's claimed as another persons work.

Edited by Completionist

6 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

You know for a fact that OP is making money off their Warframe fan art?  And DE encourages fan art, they not only have a sub-forum dedicated to it but they also provide and maintain a fan site kit.

Sometimes I feel like my english is broken xD

Let me recap : Fanarts are made for fun, he should spread them and be proud about how much people like them

He's whining about people using his work, but he's using the work of somedy else (yeah chara designer is a work too)

Si I don't get the point, the whole thing is made by fans, but not for fans ? 

(And about money, no. Like I said)

EDIT : I don't see where you get the "black out names" thing. People was asking OP to black out the names of the ''stealers". But from what I read, they just used his work, not claimed as theirs

Edited by Xgomme

yep, watermarking is the only answer.
sign it, put your name in a background layer across the entire background, Et Cetera.

and then never release the master file. always keep the original PSD around (i'm assuming you're using a layered document as the master file, if not, you should). being the sole proprietor of the master file makes it pretty hard for someone to claim ownership.

4 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

He's whining about people using his work, but he's using the work of somedy else (yeah chara designer is a work too)

let's go real slow like.

purportedly, someone else claimed his Artwork as their own.
making Fan Art is not taking or copying someone else's work and claiming it as your own.
wow, that was simple.

Edited by taiiat

8 minutes ago, Completionist said:

Anyone would be upset if you spent time drawing something and it was taken from you and the person says they drew it. You don't need to make money off a drawing you made to be pissed when it's claimed as another persons work.

As long as they reposter doesnt say or state it as being made by himself I dont get the point, Its only free publishment of your work wich will reach a even bigger fanbase this way.

If you dont want it to be further spread add a message with the artwork stating its not meant for further publisment, lots of people over on Deviantart do it and it gets respected.

Trust me, I watermark ALL my work and they still took and post it without permission XD;

Edit: and worse part is, there are few art thief that bother to edit my watermark...

Edited by Azuhra

7 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

Sometimes I feel like my english is broken xD

Let me recap : Fanarts are made for fun, he should spread them and be proud about how much people like them

(And about money, no. Like I said)

There is a difference between being proud of their popularity and having someone taking their work and claiming it as their own.

Look at it this way; Kappa Larson did a cover of the song "American Pie"  She makes no money off of it, but gets followers on YouTube and her name and talent are showcased.  And then I come along, strip the video from the song, record myself lip syncing the words and claim that it's mine. (I seriously can't sing btw) 

See the problem?

Even though neither the OP or the singer are making money, they are gaining notoriety and promoting their skills, but someone else is taking credit and removing any chance of moving further with their talents/skills.

Also, as to signing the work, I agree.  Make sure it's a watermark or something, otherwise the signature can be cropped/edited out. 

I just did a google search for the first song that came to mind.

Edited by Noamuth
I dislike the new forums sometimes.

9 minutes ago, taiiat said:

yep, watermarking is the only answer.
sign it, put your name in a background layer across the entire background, Et Cetera.

and then never release the master file. always keep the original PSD around (i'm assuming you're using a layered document as the master file, if not, you should). being the sole proprietor of the master file makes it pretty hard for someone to claim ownership.

let's go real slow like.

purportedly, someone else claimed his Artwork as their own.
making Fan Art is not taking or copying someone else's work and claiming it as your own.
wow, that was simple.

Imo if you want all the fame, you should make all the work, wow ! Simple too

I feel like the whole copyright for fanarts, mods, snort on a wall... etc should stop. You guys don't have any copyright since you don't put a copyright on it

(Side note about the singer : If she was salty on youtube about other channels because "uh they shared my song" I'm sure the buzz would be not that big)

Edited by Xgomme

6 minutes ago, Azuhra said:

Trust me, I watermark ALL my work and they still took and post it without permission XD;

Edit: and worse part is, there are few art thief that bother to edit my watermark...

So like I said, they're just spreading your work, be proud...

(You'll always have those "few" in anything, ignore this)

7 minutes ago, Scharkie1333 said:

As long as they reposter doesnt say or state it as being made by himself I dont get the point, Its only free publishment of your work wich will reach a even bigger fanbase this way.

If you dont want it to be further spread add a message with the artwork stating its not meant for further publisment, lots of people over on Deviantart do it and it gets respected.

Yea exactly, the problem was he didn't add a watermark. Lesson for the future I suppose. If he had his name on it I'm sure it would be no problem having the guy post it elsewhere. =P For me anyway.

14 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

-snip-

EDIT : I don't see where you get the "black out names" thing. People was asking OP to black out the names of the ''stealers". But from what I read, they just used his work, not claimed as theirs

It's part of the forums EULA/ToS - no naming and shaming of other members, even if it's pulled from a different web site.  Due to the negative nature of the topic, Name/Shame applies.

So like I said, they're just spreading your work, be proud...

(You'll always have those "few" in anything, ignore this)

If they remove the OP's watermark, how does anyone know they made it?  Without that mark, no one knows who the give credit to. 

17 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

-snip-

Yeah I see your point. The black out names thing is a Warframe forums rule, basically you can't shame anyone even if they DID or DID NOT do something wrong. In game, on forums etc.

Edit: Noamuth beat me to it. Said it better too >.> lol

Edited by Completionist
Naomuth said what I was going to say...