The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Other players: The understanding thread.

SnowzSan

So just a little while ago I had the pleasure of chatting with a fellow player who, although consistant and concise, lacks the ability to humanize themselves with other members of the community. I found it a little odd, considering human nature makes us WANT to talk to other people and build relationships regardless of their duration, quality, or even logic.

As the conversation progressed (there was about 6 of us total who were major contributers to the conversation) I noticed this player was unable to understand the satire and sarcasm that was being expressed. At first I thought that it was a forced reaction, given their position, to act oblivious and get down to the nitty-gritty. So naturally I struck a private conversation with them to try and figure out what was going on (well, that wasn't the only reason. The other reason being they used their position to force my hand under the guise of non-compliance) and found out that it wasn't a voluntary reaction, but rather this person clearly doesn't understand human nature at all. I think 4Chan put it's best, this person was an actual Neet (personality wise anyway, they were what you'd expect a neet to be)

I found it disturbing that this person managed to get where they are, given they're sole purpose is to interact with fellow players and moderate an otherwise band of unruley people. They lacked the charisma that one would expect from someone in their particular position.

So I guess with this being general discussion, how many of you have had the pleasure of dealing with an individual ingame who makes it very clear in the way they act that they're incapable of operating at the "same level" as other players?

4 minutes ago, SnowzSan said:

So I guess with this being general discussion, how many of you have had the pleasure of dealing with an individual ingame who makes it very clear in the way they act that they're incapable of operating at the "same level" as other players?

I do this all the time, since most would likely consider me "one of those people", so any interaction I have online is with people who are not on the 'same level' as me.

But this is just my interpretation, just as it is clear your observations about this other person are yours.  You cannot truly know a person through an online medium just from one particular encounter in one particular environment.  That is to say just because Person A acts one way here doesn't mean that is "the way they are".

6 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

I do this all the time, since most would likely consider me "one of those people", so any interaction I have online is with people who are not on the 'same level' as me.

But this is just my interpretation, just as it is clear your observations about this other person are yours.  You cannot truly know a person through an online medium just from one particular encounter in one particular environment.  That is to say just because Person A acts one way here doesn't mean that is "the way they are".

You're right about one-time interactions not being an accurate representation of a person's personality. You're also right that some people act differently online than IRL. However, there are lots of people who would dispute the idea that you can't get to truely know someone over the internet. Just because someone acts a certain way under certain circumstances doesn't translate to one personality is right and the other is wrong, but rather that you know this person more/less than someone else does.

That being said, this person in particular made it very clear to everyone that their presence is strictly professional... in a game... While I can appricate that they take their position seriously, being unable to humanize yourself with others, even on the most basic level, should automatically disqualify you for a position where the sole purpose is to mediate and interact with said others. It just didn't make sense that this is the person who decrypts what people are ACTUALLY saying versus taking every little thing at face value, because let's be fair. It's a game. People are relaxed for the most part and it's the last place where you want to put on your professional game face. Obivously use discretion in what you choose to share, but in no way should anyone be expected to operate at a strictly professional level while "enjoying" a game.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is not the first time I've interacted with this person. There have been plenty.

Edited by SnowzSan

I get the vague impression that you are referring to a moderator (but not sure - you seem to be intentionally vague).

I get the vague impression that you are suggesting said person is on the autistic spectrum.

You seem to be of the opinion that such characteristics make such an individual incapable of mediating/enforcing rules and regulations. I have no idea about the individual you are referring to - however, people that I know with such characteristics are frequently excellent in such positions as they apply rules consistently, logically and dispassionately.

The world is made up of very different people that have different strengths and weaknesses.

I assume you are referring to a moderator, although i am not sure. The person might just not be good with conversations and interacting with other people. They might just be nervous around new players, who knows? This does not mean they cannot do their job enforcing rules, though. These people are usually very good at these positions for the reasons the above poster mentioned. I wouldn't judge someone before you know them, and i also wouldn't jump to assumptions. People are different and that is what makes them special. I feel like this is not an appropriate place to talk about someone.

with due respect, your whole post was a bit vague.  what exactly was the problem with this convo? what was disturbing to you?

I've got a little news flash for you: Some people on the internet, being anonymous, act like jerks.  The same people may be perfectly functional in real life. just saying